What's new

Incoming MK1 Balance Patch (Tomorrow, June 27)

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
You keep trying to mock me and it isn’t working , the game has a lot of life left and the things you guys wanted nerfed didn’t get nerfed at all, the logical conclusion is more are coming and dude is steadily getting nerfed every patch, is this really the hill you want to die on?
It seems NRS approach to Johnny is just slightly nerfing his kit one patch at a time, which allows them to test the waters and avoid gutting him and receiving backlash from it. At this point, he is still a great character, despite his numerous nerfs.

I don't think his offense should be nerfed.

And the idea of power levels being low is silly to me. Geras now has a near full-screen Fatal Blow.

Li Mei now has a gapless string and lantern hitting mid is pretty good.

Reptile can make his overhead plus.

Scorpion now has a gapless option with his best mid that you can use kameos to combo with.

Peacemaker can't mindlessly call Eagley after strings. It was a launcher. Most launching specials in the game aren't safe. But hey - that's where Kameos come in. Now you use Kano Ball if you want to keep it safe.

There's actual resource and risk management to using Torpedo and Eagly now. He's still going to zone fine.

Mavado's health was adjusted so more characters can use him without having their health gutted, opening the door to characters that wouldn't touch him due to the health loss.

This patch was a win, in my book. Havik and Geras didn't get the buffs I wanted, but I'm happy with what we did get.
I didn’t say you in particular but a majority of these Johnny nerf threads/statuses/complaints were about his “oppressive” offense, I could be wrong but I didn’t see much about parry, sure there was complaints of here and there but a majority is all offense based, his jump kick, his plus frames, his mid.

It seems NRS approach to Johnny is just slightly nerfing his kit one patch at a time, which allows them to test the waters and avoid gutting him and receiving backlash from it. At this point, he is still a great character, despite his numerous nerfs.
I’m not even upset with these nerfs, I just know it’s not what the people wanted so I know there will be more.

wsj515

This is my billionth life cycle.
You keep trying to mock me and it isn’t working , the game has a lot of life left and the things you guys wanted nerfed didn’t get nerfed at all, the logical conclusion is more are coming and dude is steadily getting nerfed every patch, is this really the hill you want to die on?
You keep moving the goal posts. We just got more nerfs for Johnny and guess what, he didn't get destroyed. If he's still out of band after this, then yeah they should nerf him again - but you can't say "I told you so" if the character is literally still too strong lmao.

NRS is proving that their taking a relatively light touch with Johnny, you should be happy.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I didn’t say you in particular but a majority of these Johnny nerf threads/statuses/complaints were about his “oppressive” offense, I could be wrong but I didn’t see much about parry, sure there was complaints of here and there but a majority is all offense based, his jump kick, his plus frames, his mid.
I like the approach of letting him keep his personality/archetype, but slightly toning down some of his other advantages so that his overall kit is more balanced.

wsj515

This is my billionth life cycle.
Tournament turnouts are roughly consistent with past NRS games.

There's plenty of diversity among characters in terms of playstyles.

Take Quan Chi and Peacemaker. They both zone, but they play very differently.

In terms of power levels, any low tier in this game would completely mop up the low tiers in MK9. It wouldn't even be close.

Remember, MK9 had characters with negative on hit pokes, something MK1 does not have. All the patch did was give characters like Cage more defined weaknesses; his offense is the same.
You could plug salty old man who likes stirring the pot as prompts into ChatGPT and basically predict whatever Dave will say after every patch.

rifraf

Noob
But hey - that's where Kameos come in. Now you use Kano Ball if you want to keep it safe.
By this logic, all specials should be so minus so we all need a Kano ball. OR, these moves are decently balanced and Kano ball is changed to something else.

¯\(ツ)

StormGoddess

Your mind tricks won't harm me!!!
Mortal Kombat 1 Update 27 June Patch Notes
Character Specific Adjustments

Main Fighters

Geras

• Inevitable now has 21 start-up frames (down from 26)
  • Timefall (Away + Back Kick) now recovers 2 frames faster
  • Adjusted Hit Regions of Sandstorm making it easier to send the opponent forward
  • Increased the maximum range that Colliding Worlds (Fatal Blow) can teleport
Havik

• Chaos Kick (Back Kick) now recovers 1 frame faster
  • Dislocated (Front Kick) now has 13 start-up frames (down from 15)
  • Drop Dead (Towards + Front Punch, Front Kick) now recovers 15 frames faster & has 10 less frames of blockstun
Johnny Cage

• Show Off Parry now has 8 start-up frames (up from 6)
  • Enhanced Show Off Parry now has 4 start-up frames (up from 0) & has 15 more recovery frames
  • Show Off & Enhanced Show Off can no longer be delayed
  • Shadow Kick & Enhanced Shadow Kick now has 10 start-up frames (up from 8) & has 2 more frames of recovery on miss
Kitana

• Reduced the combo damage scaling of Square Wave & Enhanced Square Wave
Li Mei

• The first attack in Pankration Champion (Back Kick, Front Kick, Back Punch, Front Punch) now has 16 start-up frames (down from 19)
  • Sky Lantern after being ignited by Nova Blast now hits Mid (was High) & causes 10 more blockstun with slightly increased pushback
  • Lion’s Pounce (Towards + Front Kick) now has 3 more active frames & recovers 7 frames faster
Nitara

• Must Feed (Front Punch, Back Punch, Back Kick) can now be 2in1 cancelled & does 20 less damage
Reptile

• Devastating Blow (Away + Back Punch) now recovers 4 frames faster & has 5 more frames of blockstun
  • Devastating Blow Charge (Away + Back Punch, Hold Back Punch) & Devastating Blow Charge maximum (Away + Back Punch, Hold Back Punch) now recover 5 frames faster
  • Tail Of Two Hities (Back Punch, Back Kick) & Sneaky Lizard (Towards + Back Punch, Back Kick) now recovers 3 frames faster on hit & has 5 more blockstun frames
  • Acid Spit, Enhanced Acid Spit, Acid Spit Ball, & Enhanced Acid Spit Ball now have 5 more blockstun frames
Sub-Zero

• Freezing Point (Towards + Front Punch, Back Punch, Front Kick) is now -7 on block (down from -12)
  • Blistering Blizzard (Back Punch, Front Punch) now recovers 2 frames faster & has consistent combo damage scaling for Airborne & Grounded opponents
Scorpion

• Heavy Knee (Towards + Front Kick) cancel frame is now 2 frames earlier & has 1 less recovery frame
  • Fire Pillar Thrust (Towards + Front Kick, Back Kick) now has 18 startup frames (down from 19)
Peacemaker

• Activate Human Torpedo! & Enhanced Human Torpedo! now have 16 start-up frames (up from 12) & 13 more frames of recovery on miss
  • Activate Human Torpedo! no longer causes stumble animation when blocked & has 10 less frames of blockstun
  • Beautiful Bird Bullet now has 10 less frames of blockstun with less pushback on block
  • Ground-Air Offensive now has 5 less frames of blockstun with less pushback on block
  • Activate Force Field now has 30 more frames of recovery
  • Anti-Gravity’s attack now does 35 damage on block (down from 50)
Kameo Fighters

Kameo Sonya

• Leg Grab now has 25 start-up frames (down from 29), hits Overhead (was Mid), & is +1 on block (up from -9)
Kameo Stryker

• Fixed an issue where the 2nd Grenade in Low Grenade Toss & High Grenade Toss could sometimes have additional combo gravity
  • Kuffed now has 9 less frames of recovery on miss, is +1 on block (up from -9), & Stryker reaches slightly farther for the opponent
Kameo Motaro

• Adjusted teleport location when Main Fighter isn’t facing the opponent
Kameo Mavado

• Increased base health value to 250 (from 200)

Vulgar

Noob
By this logic, all specials should be so minus so we all need a Kano ball. OR, these moves are decently balanced and Kano ball is changed to something else.

¯\(ツ)
I keep wanting to not be here but then someone goes and posts something really stupid, like this.

Look man, you really should just play something else. I've seen your posts. You're not a hardcore grinder or a tournament player, so you have no real incentive to play something that you constantly bitch about.

I implore you to play something you actually think is fun.

Eldriken

Life was wasted on you.
I keep wanting to not be here but then someone goes and posts something really stupid, like this.

Look man, you really should just play something else. I've seen your posts. You're not a hardcore grinder or a tournament player, so you have no real incentive to play something that you constantly bitch about.

You know you love it here. :p

I
You keep moving the goal posts. We just got more nerfs for Johnny and guess what, he didn't get destroyed. If he's still out of band after this, then yeah they should nerf him again - but you can't say "I told you so" if the character is literally still too strong lmao.

NRS is proving that their taking a relatively light touch with Johnny, you should be happy.
im not moving anything, if anything I was wrong about it being a kneecapping, it’s a IV drip of poison instead.

The thing about this is you are being disingenuous and have been this entire time.

When people saw peacemaker nerfs and say “they nerfed this character into the GROUND” even though that maybe hyperbole the replies to it are “good!” “Finally!” And “it’s about time” lending credibility to what I said about people not actually caring about characters being fair they just want them gone period because they think the reason they are losing is “cheap characters”

You said it’s a couple of “online losers” but it’s not, it’s a majority of this community. Nobody should be celebrating a character going into the trash(I don’t know how true that is for peacemaker) but a lot of people are. There’s legit someone in this thread right now calling this nerfs for Johnny useless and wanting more and the patch hasn’t even been out 24hrs, it’s why I made my post.

I don’t even know why we are arguing, i have the history of the last 5 nrs games backing up what im saying.

You are arguing from the standpoint of this community being rational when it comes to nerfing and buffing and you are going to lose every time when it comes to that.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Tournament turnouts are roughly consistent with past NRS games.
Even if accurate, why has Mortal Kombat not grown to the extent that fighting game franchises like Street Fighter, Tekken, and Guilty Gear have? Street Fighter 6, Tekken 8, and Guilty Gear Strive have each broken attendance records in tournaments.

Look at the numbers for this year's Combo Breaker again. How can people like you pretend that everything is fine and dandy with Mortal Kombat 1?

There's plenty of diversity among characters in terms of playstyles.

Take Quan Chi and Peacemaker. They both zone, but they play very differently.
NRS is so petrified of zoning that Quan Chi was unplayable upon release. Even with the buffs, Sonic Fox thinks that Quan Chi is the worst character in the game. Tweedy ranks him slightly higher but predicts that the character will only become worse. King Jr., who uses Quan Chi in offline and online tournaments, also claims that the character remains low tier. Quan Chi contributes nothing relevant to the meta.

Neither does Peacemaker, who now joins Quan Chi as one of the worst characters in the game. Besides, he was a top tier "zoning" character but for the wrong reason (i.e., torpedo to kameo attacks).

In terms of power levels, any low tier in this game would completely mop up the low tiers in MK9. It wouldn't even be close.
The vast majority of Mortal Kombat 1 characters barely function as real characters without kameos.

Mortal Kombat 9 Sub Zero would crush every Mortal Kombat 1 low tier character, including many top tier characters. If he had access to kameos, he would arguably become the best character in the game. LOL.

rifraf

Noob

I see you. For you, if someone is being critical is equal to saying stupid things and being bitchy :laughing:

Also, you don't know me so stop talking like you know me. You're making this personal which is extremely immature. Idk how old you are, but you don't seem capable of having a conversation were others don't agree with you.

I'm ending it here with you because there's no value in getting personal. I'm here to talk about MK, not being called this or that by randoms.

I see you. For you, if someone is being critical is equal to saying stupid things and being bitchy :laughing:

Also, you don't know me so stop talking like you know me. You're making this personal which is extremely immature. Idk how old you are, but you don't seem capable of having a conversation were others don't agree with you.

I'm ending it here with you because there's no value in getting personal. I'm here to talk about MK, not being called this or that by randoms.
It’s kinda aggravating isn’t it?

CanoCano

Noob
TIL being critical is implying that every move functions the same as a retreating/low crushing safe launcher that you can make plus with an assist, leads into high damage on hit, punishes moves from halfscreen or further and you can use in Strike-Throw mixups

rifraf

Noob
TIL being critical is implying that every move functions the same as a retreating/low crushing safe launcher that you can make plus with an assist, leads into high damage on hit, punishes moves from halfscreen or further and you can use in Strike-Throw mixups
First of all, I don't understand how can someone read my original message and come to this conclusion. I honestly don't know what to say :confused:

Second, even if I meant that even though I didn't, but even if I meant that. It's unacceptable to let things go personal by saying to the other person you're this or you're that or whatever. Like, what? You don't know me. And, it's a game.

CanoCano

Noob
First of all, I don't understand how can someone read my original message and come to this conclusion. I honestly don't know what to say :confused:
You made a dishonest comparison by saying that every special should be unsafe without a Kameo because Eagly is, without acknowledeging that Eagly specials are miles better than most

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
How hype would it be if there was an MK game where instead of Kameos/Variations, you could choose different past or present game versions of the character. Obviously some tweaking around the edges and normalization or changes to account for universal game mechanic changes like Krushing Blows, meter, breakaway, flawless block, etc, but overall characters from each game get to keep their moves and most of their frame data/damage.