What's new

Improving Scorpion

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
I've said this before...and even though I know they will NEVER happen...

1. Faster overhead... make it so it can't be fuzzy blocked giving him a TRUE 50/50 threat of overhead/f+3

2. Faster teleport... in it's current form, it's too slow to anti-zone.

3. If not #2, then make Scorpion's teleport have a terminal distance. By this, I mean, instead of ALWAYS hitting the opponent, the distance the teleport travels is a set distance, so if I space it right, I can use the teleport to escape, to zone, to create space...etc.
Hmm...which characters have "true 50/50"'s with moves that can't be fuzzy/soft blocked?

I have played scorp from day one and the changes I would like to see are
1. Slightly faster startup time on teleport so it's not the slowest tele port in the game
2. Faster recovery time on a whiffed spear so it can be used as a anti air
3. A faster start up time on b2 so the mixup game would be 10x better
These changes are not drastic but will get scorpion into mid to high tier not mid to low tier

Pagan

Noob
Even if they didn't give Scorpion a faster teleport, a fake teleport would also be quite useful. One where he jumps back but doesn't disappear.

Looking at Dr_Dogg's frame data there appears to only be a 1 frame difference in execution between f+4 and b+2. The startup of both is at least 17 frames so it might be some opponents are able to block on reaction. So speeding up both b+2 and f+4 and giving them relatively identical startup time would make it a true 50/50.

I would also like to see Scorpion get better normals since usually characters with specials as bad as his have a lot better normal attacks.

GGA soonk

ĜĞÅ §ººñ|<®©™
His mixup and normals seem fine. Lack of proper wakeup is what really blows. B2 probably shouldn't be any faster, it's a pretty powerful move as is.

Error

DF2+R2
Scorpion's teleports are unsafer than Ermac's? Always felt the opposite way around for me, seeing as both regular and ex port for Ermac leave him in the spinning animation.

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
If they made Scorp's TP as fast as Sector's, that would be tolerable and not broke. One could hope, but doubtful.

Ruuku1012

Real Talker
1) Slightly faster start-up on TP
2) A follow up to f4 that can be cancelled into spear
3) A follow up to b2 that can be cancelled into spear
4) A safe special

Any of these would be fine.

A few more suggestions:

1. Fake teleport. Can be used for additional mind games. Doesn't change the timing of the TP just makes it so he doesn't appear on the other side. You can still hit him as he's vanishing. Imagine doing a fake TP, opp blocks in anticipation so you do a hellfire lol. Might be OP but IDC lots of characters have OP shit in this game.

2. Armor on EX TP. The armor is only active on the start up of TP, still vulnerable when he reappears on the other side. So you can still uppercut him on reaction but at least he has a better wakeup option.

Scorpion doesn't need anything. He's plenty strong already. Buffed further, he will end up broken. In the right hands, Scorpion is is so nasty already.

Asking for a buff to Scorpion is just silly.

Scorpion doesn't need anything. He's plenty strong already. Buffed further, he will end up broken. In the right hands, Scorpion is is so nasty already.

Asking for a buff to Scorpion is just silly.
Scorp isn't strong. What does he have that's strong? Please enlighten me.

Scorp was broken in the demo for sure, but in his current state he's nothing to be afraid of compared to the likes of JC, NW, KL, LK, SZ, RE, RA, etc.

Lord Beef

Death Metal and Trance
Scorp isn't strong. What does he have that's strong? Please enlighten me.

Scorp was broken in the demo for sure, but in his current state he's nothing to be afraid of compared to the likes of JC, NW, KL, LK, SZ, RE, RA, etc.
His mix ups/meta and resets are crazy good. In the right hands, he can make your opponent scared to do anything in any situation. If your basing your opinion on him on flowchart scorpion Scrubs, that don't know how to utilize his safe jump set ups and cross up 50/50s then your perspective on how he should be played is a bit skewed. No hate here, just 'enlightening' ya. :D

-b_s- :headbang:

zaf

professor
Slips, i don't understand you man. We argued a while back about scorpion, me saying he is fine. You disagreeing with me. But then you go and win a damn tournament? Damn man wtf lmao. I think you were trolling all along haha.

But seriously great fucking job on winning a tournament with scorpion. Im proud that you did that and very happy as well.

I also took the time to watch some of your matches, against a kung lao named Killshot.

Seriously, great fucking job again.
You counter every jump in with d1 poke into teleport combos.
Your vortex was superb as well. You kept him locked down in this for a while in the matches i seen.

I know you have some problems with scorpion, but everyone has a problem with their character. Some have bigger problems then the rest but we make due with what we got and work it out. You definitely showed you can do this.

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
Hehe I actually still stand by my Scorpion buffs. My arguments for the problem of my character still stand. But, you were also right in that not everything was explored. Thankfully, I did find some new technology. The only vids of me are from months ago, I've developed much more stuff since then but somehow my matches never get recorded. Good for me I guess.

The holier than thou attitude of being a long-time competitive player I think is what pissed me and everyone else off. I've been playing competitively for over 10 years. So that, and saying we didn't know how to play our own character when you didn't even play him extensively is a tad insulting. :)

I appreciate the props tho and thanks. Hopefully, Scorpion's weaknesses will never cast a shadow larger than his strengths.

Pagan

Noob
I've heard down the pipeline that Scorpion will be receiving some modest tweaks in the "this year" patch. Something about making some moves safer.

Thankfully, I did find some new technology. The only vids of me are from months ago, I've developed much more stuff since then but somehow my matches never get recorded. Good for me I guess.
So does that mean youre not gonna share? I was gonna PM you and ask how your play has changed but I figured maybe id catch you in one of these threads instead. I Noticed that you didnt do his unsafe mixups too much in the matches that ive seen and was wondering if that was still the case and whats different

zaf

professor
"but, you were also right in that not everything was explored. Thankfully, I did find some new technology
The holier than thou attitude of being a long-time competitive player I think is what pissed me and everyone else off. So that, and saying we didn't know how to play our own character when you didn't even play him extensively is a tad insulting."
~~
In no way was i trying to be insulting,trolling, or trying to be better then anyone else; as you thought i was. Like i did say, stuff was unexplored since the game was new and i knew scorpion could win tournaments. you've come along way from where you started and its all the training. right now i am sure you are miles ahead of where you were before during our arguements. i just wanted the character to be explored first. now you have done so, and you won a tournament, so i have nothing further to really say. just proud out of all the scorpions to do it, it was you man. you deserve it. I do apologize for anything that seemed insulting in the past. It was not my intentions.