What's new

Improving Scorpion

iWumbo

Noob
Just play me then bro', my connection is 4 bars, the whole 9 :). Scorpion's key to victory is forcing Subz to jump then AA xx teleport, Spear reset followed by BnB. What's the use of learning the game if you wont fight bro'? Just 1 set best 2 out of 3? PLEASE?
First of all, I'm on PSN, so I can't play you.
Second, I don't even use Sub Zero, so we wouldn't accomplish anything.

All I'm doing is stating facts that you, for some reason, refuse to accept. Think what you want.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
:en Teleport is a safer option because you wont take damage from the projectile & you get frame adavtage on block

Yeah, it's good because it's safe but if blocked seems like a waste of bar IMO unless it's down to the wire and you need chip damage and safe attacks. Personally, I like using his EX spear as it has armor, does more damage and his EX fire after certain combos it's unescapable. :) hehe

can you help me with my combos i cant seem to get them what do i do i need your help :)
I'm finishing up on a Scorpion Strategy video that I'll be posting within the week & I'm pretty sure it will elevate your gameplay ...I'll PM when I'm about finished...or you can just add me on XBL & I'll mentor you

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Oh it's definitely good to use the EX teleport, I just prefer to use his EX fire in combos or randomly which does good damage and in cases is free :)

I love mixing up his jumps ins too with highs into spear or highs into his low leg take down :) They all work great. Plus, his 111 is safe too which I love. Some people say Sub and Reptile are so much better then Scorpion, Reptile I can see but not so much Sub IMO I think Scorp is underrated honestly.

But sure I'm always down for matches :) My mains are Ermac, Sektor, Scorp, Smoke and here and there I use Kabal.

Oh it's definitely good to use the EX teleport, I just prefer to use his EX fire in combos or randomly which does good damage and in cases is free :)

I love mixing up his jumps ins too with highs into spear or highs into his low leg take down :) They all work great. Plus, his 111 is safe too which I love. Some people say Sub and Reptile are so much better then Scorpion, Reptile I can see but not so much Sub IMO I think Scorp is underrated honestly.

But sure I'm always down for matches :) My mains are Ermac, Sektor, Scorp, Smoke and here and there I use Kabal.
yes he is just below elite IMO these fools are tier whores

sorry dude, I'm just trolling today it's kinda fun :) but I know Scorpion aint top tier I actually main Raiden....but I do actually wanna play you. do you compete?

iWumbo

Noob
Yep, I'm a Liu Kang main, but I live in South FL so no luck being close...

If you ever get your hands on a PS3 somehow, hit me up. I use my cousin's PSN account which is why I haven't posted it under my avatar. PM me me if u want.

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
Simple: Since you know that they will instant fireball, just time it right and EX spear them. For the people that do not know, EX armor has a hit of armor. So if he/she instant jump fireball you and you time the EX spear right, free combo for you. Problem solved.
Not really. The key words you just used are 'just time it right.' Problem is your opponent dictates the timing. Its not like you can see them go in the air and shoot the air fan and on reaction do an ex spear. Thats impossible. You literally have to throw it out in anticipation. This strat will work once if your lucky and if your opponent is dumb enough to keep using the same pattern.

Anyone who says Scorp is better than Rep or Sub is delusional.

PEACE

sorry dude, I'm just trolling today it's kinda fun :) but I know Scorpion aint top tier I actually main Raiden....but I do actually wanna play you. do you compete?
LOL can't be trolling about tiers. This is serious business :p

Naw but honestly Scorp needs some buffs. I miss Demo Scorp lol!

EDIT: the armor on Scorps EX spear and TP are really iffy. I've been hit out of those moves so many times I forget it has armor.

No, a small buff will not make him broken, it will make him B tier.
  1. the only move that people are asking to be made safe is Takedown (which is pretty useless in its current state).
  2. Also people (such as CHECK) asked for faster startup on TP. Its such a damn risky move, so easy to punish, yet its slow as hell to come out. If NRS wants it to be a slow starting move than it should be less punishable.
  3. And make the whiffed spear recovery the same as blocked spear. It will still be punishable but now Scorp can actually engage a bit in fireball wars at max range.
In addition to those demands I would suggest increasing the launch on EX TP so you have more combo options at midscreen.

Slips

1 and 3 I agree with wholeheartedly. 2 is walking a fine line between a small buff and broken. If they make his TP as fast as Smoke's it will be broke.

I heard after the next hotfix they will be done tweaking. At the very very least NRS, make his takedown safe!

PEACE

GGA soonk

ĜĞÅ §ººñ|<®©™
I gave my thoughts on buffing Teleport Punch in the other thread, but I'll post again here for the continuity of this thread.

EX TP doesn't need a higher launch, just less delay before movement is possible and it should be combo-able, much like the 2, 1+2 shoulder charge. Armor would be nice. As slips said above, while the teleport is slow to leave the screen, adding a faster teleport along with the EX buffs above might be too much. I think the armor on EX would mitigate the slowness of the move.

Changing takedown to safe would improve his mixup game without overpowering it. On hit you can't combo off of it and it gives the opponent distance, so I doubt that would be considered unfair.

Could be some good changes if we ever saw them.

SGX

Noob
No, a small buff will not make him broken, it will make him B tier.
  1. the only move that people are asking to be made safe is Takedown (which is pretty useless in its current state).
  2. Also people (such as CHECK) asked for faster startup on TP. Its such a damn risky move, so easy to punish, yet its slow as hell to come out. If NRS wants it to be a slow starting move than it should be less punishable.
  3. And make the whiffed spear recovery the same as blocked spear. It will still be punishable but now Scorp can actually engage a bit in fireball wars at max range.
In addition to those demands I would suggest increasing the launch on EX TP so you have more combo options at midscreen.
1. Definitely agree that it should be safer, but I don't think its useless. Currently it's just not worth the risk for the reward.

2. Yes, maybe not as fast as smoke's but Scorpion's only glaring flaw is his lack of a good wakeup attack. This would easily fix the problem.

3. I do agree that whiffed spear recovery is a little TOO long, but it should still be a little longer than blocked spear recovery.

I don't think that EX TP launch needs to be improved if they make it start up faster. That would be too much.

Soonk: I don't feel like adding armor to EX TP would be the best solution, because then he still wouldn't have a decent wake up option without meter.

GGA soonk

ĜĞÅ §ººñ|<®©™
Well I did say a safe takedown would be a nice change in addition to the buffed EX TP, and that would make it a decent wakeup attack. SZ's slide isn't safe either but that's what he gets for wakeup. EX TP needs armor not necessarily for wakeup(although it wouldn't hurt in that aspect) but because it takes so long to leave the screen. Not to mention how many characters have armor on their silly moves, why not Scorpion?

Slips

Another thing I've noticed is that EX spear hits some characters ducking, while others it does not at all. Some characters it depends on where they are in the animation of their duck, like Ermac and Reptile. They sway back and forth while crouching and sometimes the EX spear will hit, sometimes it won't. So lame.

Sometimes I'll be banking on the fact that when I'm knocked down my opponent will try and low poke me, but I can't really on EX Spear. EX TP cause its too slow and get punished on reaction. Slide works in a blue moon but risky with minimal reward. EX spear would be nice but it doesn't hit half the cast crouching like its supposed to. Risky as well but at least the reward is nice.

I hope NRS hears us.

PEACE

SGX

Noob
Yeah, there are a lot of inconsistencies in this game like that. It's a downside of not using hitboxes and relying on character model collision. :/

Also, most moves when used as a wakeup are granted some invincibility. Why not the teleport punch? They wouldn't even need to make it faster or give it armor if it just didn't get stuffed on wakeup.

Grayx7

Noob
I saw a lot of good points here, so I'll try my hardest not to repeat any.

- Just to note this: I'm pretty sure a lot of y'all know this already, but if y'all don't, I'll mention it anyway. There's actually a way to make Scorp's Tele-Punch safe [or at least, a lot safer]. You have to jump, and right before Scorp lands [just before his feet touch the ground], Tele-Punch then. This makes him just teleports behind his opponent and not go for the punch, which in turn stops him from bein' horribly punished as if he did regularly, and his opponent blocked it. Aside from that, the pros of this is a free 50/50 mix-up attempt [especially if you do it fullscreen, and you do your F+4 or B+2 offscreen before the camera re-registers where you are], or a grab; the con of this is that it's HELLA hard to do [well, for me anyway]! The timin' to do it, is very strict; you literally have to do the Tele-Punch just before his feet touches the ground.

-Aside from that, I think his Tele-Punch needs some work. I wish it was a little faster gettin' off the screen. It shouldn't be possible for him to still get hit by a projectile when he's already off the screen. I wish it was like his MKT Tele-Punch, where he could do it, not have to go to the other side of the screen, and not automatically hit his opponent. Though, he still had the one he has now, he was also able to do the punch backwards and forwards while still stayin' on his own side of the screen. It was kinda like Kung Lao's dive kick, except he could also do a retreatin' version as well.

-I feel that his f+4 and his b+2 should loose some start up frames, so his 50/50 mix-up can become an ACTUAL 50/50 mix-up again. It was in the beginnin', but ceased to be when people discovered how to "Fuzzy Block". I mean, they can still have their unsafe recovery frames, but they could stand to loose some start up frames.

-Give him an actual use for his f+3. Sure, it's an overhead and relatively safe on block, but its start up is WAY to slow, you can't link a kombo into it, you can't continue a juggle with it, and you can't start a kombo from it, so what is it actually good for...? I think it should loose a few start up frames, gain a few recovery frames, and become a launcher similar to Mileena's U+4.

Just my 2 cent on Improvin' him.

EDIT: Also The Ultimate improvement: Give him back his MK: Deception Kostume!

I play scorpion as my primary character and I find him pretty balanced. The only change I would suggest is upping the damage on his x-ray. His 30% damage on X-ray is the lowest of any character, despite the fact that you cannot combo after it and if you tack it on to the end of a combo the damage is extremely scaled down. Nobody can argue with a straight face that Kung Lao's Xray should do more then scorpion. An increase of x-ray damage to 34% would be justified.