What's new

Important, yet sad article dealing with SFxT "Cross Assault" Incident

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
I feel bad for Superyan, but not once did she ask Aris to stop, she just kind of giggled and told him it was creepy. I agree with pretty much most of Phase's post too.

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
what did she do regarding kor?
Kor was granted a chance to return to the competition by winning a team match. He partnered with Super Yan who threw the match by picking both an illegal character, who also doubles as a joke character and then not tagging out and purposely getting hit by every move the opponent threw out. Kor had to sit there pretty much and watch his chance at winning the show fly out the window.

PND_Mustard

"More stealthful than the night"
Premium Supporter
Kor was granted a chance to return to the competition by winning a team match. He partnered with Super Yan who threw the match by picking both an illegal character, who also doubles as a joke character and then not tagging out and purposely getting hit by every move the opponent threw out. Kor had to sit there pretty much and watch his chance at winning the show fly out the window.
what a bitch.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
We are guilty of some of the same shit. There's a pretty big anti-female sentiment with some of the people on this forum. Go to the Noob's Passage board and look at ANY of the female player threads. Seriously.

That being said I know some people just tag along for the jokes, but when a girl comes on here, she most definitely does NOT deserve to get 5 pages of criticism on the way she looks. You wouldn't do this for a dude... so stop it with the girls.

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
So Aris made a few sexist comments.

Super Yan screwed her team mate out of the chance to win 25 thousand dollars and ruined all chance of him winning it, on purpose.

Why is everyone raging at Aris again? lol.

Both Super Yan and Aris are purposely avoiding these "gaming journalist". Superyan has even said to destructoid to "fuck off". The shit was handle internally and there is no need to discuss it if you personally aren't involved with it.

Just to quote " Someone brings up an instance of someone yelling the world “bitch” over and over as a female player competed, and then screamed for her rape when she lost." is an actual quote from the Penny Arcade article when in reality its people talking about phoenix in MvC3. Yeah really reliable source yaknow.

miloPKL

soundcloud.com/pukelization
fucking pathetic. who let this child on the mic? and who is the ultradavid wannabe? i don know if anyone recalls UltraDavids lengthy article about esports and the differences between the starcraft and fighting game communities. ultradavid basically said "i was at a starcraft tournament and i said '[ban incoming] [ban incoming] [ban incoming]', (EDIT: ive been reminded by RagingNight that what ultradave said was absolutely not a severe as this, but my gripe behind his article stands) and to my shock, SOMEONE WAS OFFENDED!" (of course im exaggerating a little but he was being casually racist and wondering why people werent happy about that.) - wow ultradave, what a surprise! what do you expect when youre a skinny white guy? what would you expect if that came from even a black dude, at any form of social gathering? youd think, look at this jackass behaving like a child. Ultradave went on to defend his actions saying "fighting game players come from all walks of life and many are frok lower class families and ghettos etc, in comparison starcraft is a bunch of rich kids. THAT MAKES IT OK! WE ARE USED TO HEARING CASUAL RACISM AND JOKING ABOUT! WE ARE THE UNDERDOGS! LOW CLASS FOR LIFE!" keep in mind ultradave says this hiding behind the safety of his law degree.

my point is, this aris guy is basically saying the same thing. "this is the fighting game community and we are racist and sexist because we are the fighting game community. without the racism and sexism, what would make us unique?"- gee i dont know, maybe the fucking games we are playing?

now look, dont get me wrong, i really do identify and relate to being low class. i personally cant be offended. i come from a poor as fuck family. my parents had me when they were kids themselves. i really do relate to what ultradave means when he says we come from all walks of life, all backgrounds, we are a melting pot of culture, we are an underdog community. but that doesnt mean we must act luke children. south park is funny but it is not real life. you dont behave like this in real life. not when you are an adult.

i am a casually racist person, casually sexist, and im happy to joke about these things, with my close friends. theres no way in fuck that id do it in public though. i wouldnt want to misrepresnt myself as a fuckead to strangers.

so thanks ultradave and aris for leading a culture of ignorance. i applaud your diplomacy.

quandaghost

kung lao swag walker
either way this was handled poorly and unprofessionally by both parties, yes super yan did do kor dirty, and yes Aris did sexually harass her oth parties are in the wrong, in the bigger picture what do you think means more to the media hmm? In the early nineties when i was a kid the FGC was protested and frowned upon for causing violence in video games, and yes i know it just wasn't the fgc but we were a part of it. Now how do you think the mass media may feel if this get any shine or blows and she sues aris for this. We are already under such scrutiny from other video game genres, the media, the esrb, now we have to worry about other things. Can you imagine a women's rights group protesting evo. We are all adults we all know the media doesn't care about the entire story they care about what sells, whats hot, whats controversial. We really don't need this at the moment not when we are so close to being put on national stage not under such scrutiny. I think personally aris should have had the decency to not make those comments like who seriously says that shit, and yan should have done more than giggle and be like "thats creepy" which in all do honesty if a woman says your creeping her you should lay off. We need to realize yes we can joke about rape, gender, sexual orientation, and ect. but its not a joke if nobody is laughing or someone gets hurt

I agree with your assessments of the specifics of this particular incident, but what most people are focusing on when they talk about this is this section of the exchange:

Rea: Can I get my Street Fighter without sexual harassment?

Bakhtanians: You can’t. You can’t because they’re one and the same thing. This is a community that’s, you know, 15 or 20 years old, and the sexual harassment is part of a culture, and if you remove that from the fighting game community, it’s not the fighting game community--it’s StarCraft.
People, both inside and outside the community, are taking offense to the idea that sexism and the fighting game community are intrinsically linked that cannot, and should not, change.

I agree that Super Yan shouldn't be elevated to martyrdom (at least not yet) and that she should have handled the situation better, at least for her teammates sake, but to most people that's not what this story is about.

fucking pathetic. who let this child on the mic? and who is the ultradavid wannabe? i don know if anyone recalls UltraDavids lengthy article about esports and the differences between the starcraft and fighting game communities. ultradavid basically said "i was at a starcraft tournament and i said '[ban incoming] [ban incoming] [ban incoming]', and to my shock, SOMEONE WAS OFFENDED!" (of course im exaggerating a little but he was being casually racist and wondering why people werent happy about that.) - wow ultradave, what a surprise! what do you expect when youre a skinny white guy? what would you expect if that came from even a black dude, at any form of social gathering? youd think, look at this jackass behaving like a child. Ultradave went on to defend his actions saying "fighting game players come from all walks of life and many are frok lower class families and ghettos etc, in comparison starcraft is a bunch of rich kids. THAT MAKES IT OK! WE ARE USED TO HEARING CASUAL RACISM AND JOKING ABOUT! WE ARE THE UNDERDOGS! LOW CLASS FOR LIFE!" keep in mind ultradave says this hiding behind the safety of his law degree.

my point is, this aris guy is basically saying the same thing. "this is the fighting game community and we are racist and sexist because we are the fighting game community. without the racism and sexism, what would make us unique?"- gee i dont know, maybe the fucking games we are playing?

now look, dont get me wrong, i really do identify and relate to being low class. i personally cant be offended. i come from a poor as fuck family. my parents had me when they were kids themselves. i really do relate to what ultradave means when he says we come from all walks of life, all backgrounds, we are a melting pot of culture, we are an underdog community. but that doesnt mean we must act luke children. south park is funny but it is not real life. you dont behave like this in real life. not when you are an adult.

i am a casually racist person, casually sexist, and im happy to joke about these things, with my close friends. theres no way in fuck that id do it in public though. i wouldnt want to misrepresnt myself as a fuckead to strangers.

so thanks ultradave and aris for leading a culture of ignorance. i applaud your diplomacy.
Are you fucking retarded?

The exact quote
. Later on in the night I told some of the people I’d met how I hadn’t seen a black dude all day. Guess who was standing like four feet behind me? Yep, a black guy. Everyone else I was with kinda cringed. Me? What, I can’t say “black guy” in front of a black guy? Get outta here..
Because saying "black guy" is close to "[ban incoming] [ban incoming] [ban incoming]" with some "little" exaggeration. Yep totally.

Even saying "black guy" is in no way, shape or form of being "racist". Its a descriptive term to describe the skin color of somebody. You aren't make some broad derogatory claim to a race or ethnicity. What if I'm at a convention and I see no asians and if I ask about it I'm suddenly racist? Are you fucking stupid?

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
So the moral of the story is "everyone's an asshole". No revelatory info there.

In my experience this is true for every aspect of life.

miloPKL

soundcloud.com/pukelization
Are you fucking retarded?

The exact quote

Because saying "black guy" is close to "[ban incoming] [ban incoming] [ban incoming]" with some "little" exaggeration. Yep totally.

Even saying "black guy" is in no way, shape or form of being "racist". Its a descriptive term to describe the skin color of somebody. You aren't make some broad derogatory claim to a race or ethnicity. What if I'm at a convention and I see no asians and if I ask about it I'm suddenly racist? Are you fucking stupid?
yes im retarded, but i prefer the tern mentally handicapped. can you take back your personal insults? you really hurt my feelings.

Gengar

Hypnosis > Dreameater (its a reset)
Im sorry, this Aris guy is a complete moron. he basically this community is 15-20 and sexual harrassment is just part of it. WHAT. 15 - 20 INCLUDES THE AGES 15,16,17 which in multiple states is classified as minors, and as such it is disgusting that he considers sexually harassing minors to be the norm, and something that is found throughout our communities. its bad enough that stereotypes peg us as mouthbreathing jobless basement dwellers, we do not need PEDOPHILIA added to that list.

outside of the blatantly obvious wrongness to sexually harassing minors, sexual harassment in general is NOT a universal thing in the fighting game community. women should be treated no differently than men. its fine if you dont want to white knight them and worship them and be overly nice, but on the opposite side of that coin it doesnt make it ok to berate them with downright creepy sexual comments. your bra size? what? if i was her i woulda asked the fat fuck what HIS bra size is. the dude crossed multiple lines, and i for one am not ok with some scum bag like that representing us, i will not be generalized into that. people like that need to get their shit together, or be removed from the community.

You guys all realize that Aris is a real life living troll right? Like he straights up trolls at events. Yes Aris has "crossed the line" (rofl) but in no way shape or form is he really a racist/sexist/pedo or whatever. He does whatever that entertains people while maintaining the persona of "fuck everybody, I'm the boss and just do it".

Just about anybody in the community that has personally met him can tell you that, and that he has done TONS for the FGC. Guess who was one of the first people outside MK community to support MK9? Guess who supported SC and Tekken? Guess how many podcast has this guy done to help educate people in certain games? Aris is definitely raw, rigid and uncensor but he is just ONE person out of the whole community and the amazing thing about the FGC is that it is diverse. I don't need the FGC to turn into LoL/SC2 with its "o we gotta be professional 24/7". I love the clashing personalities, the different styles of approach (west coast/east coast), and how if I want to be inform I can tune into Arturo/Ultradavid/James Chen but if I want hype I'll go to Tom Brady/Yipes/Chris Matrix/Li Joe or Aris.

edit
Clear example. Why do you think SherryJenix doesn't get "sexually harass"? Because she doesn't put up with it. She even said it on Joe's stream that Aris is the guy if you tell him straight up "fuck off" he will fuck off.

Aris is one of the realest niggas alive, and one of the coolest FG players of all time. He will also always be the face of smoke to me. I for one defend his stance, Aris was just being Aris having fun in the moment, so for the to mature sensitive dweeb types go join the blazblu community or some other boring shit, and let people have their fun. alot of the FGC are kids or young adults playing videos games, and having fun not 40 years old's. If I was Aris I wouldn't even explain myself I would tell anyone who took offense to suck my dick, but that's just me.

RoGE

Noob
This isn't as big of a deal as people make it out to be, because:
-Aris was just being...Aris. He didn't really MEAN all that stuff he said, he was just joking around and with all the pressure that the players are going through, I guess she just snapped.
-They are both cool now, Aris took back what he said and they both agree that its not that big of a deal and that people are taking it waaaay too seriously
-Super_Yan is fine now, she's having a good time playing the game as I post this.

T3rror

Noob
Man this makes the whole fgc look bad especially since there are journalists rushing to beat each other to a story without knowing everything. People in the fgc are not helping by telling them to keep quiet. Things may not have been so misconstrued in those articles if they just talked about it cause most are confusing the convo Aris and Jared were having with Superyan being "Harassed".
Personally I don't see any sexism in the fgc cause when people say things like "rape that bitch" people are not referring to a specific gender. Imo saying that to someone who is female is treating them the same as any dude you would trash talk. On the hand we as a community need to realize saying things like that can make some people feel uncomfortable. Just because back in the day people in your arcade were cool with saying things like that doesn't mean people in my arcade would be cool with that. This is something I think people are forgetting by the tweets I am reading.

You would think since the fgc is made up of so many people from different backgrounds and races that sexism wouldn't be a problem.

Goldi

Noob
This kinda hits close to home for me right now. I'm not going into details, but, yeah. I've had moments where I think, "Damn. Gamers really hate women!" Of course, they're pretty rare offline, but it still stings a little.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
This kinda hits close to home for me right now. I'm not going into details, but, yeah. I've had moments where I think, "Damn. Gamers really hate women!" Of course, they're pretty rare offline, but it still stings a little.
Seeing females compete in fighting games is pretty rare considering I remember ECT3 had I think one female playing MK9 by the name of Whispering Eye ? She did well and we were rooting for her, just because damn, "there's a girl in here playing MK?"

Meh, this is just a lesson for us all. I say we move on, really.