What's new

General/Other - Unbreakable If You Haven't Already Forgotten about Unbreakable...

How Does Unbreakable Feel?

• Total voters

Samsara

Resident Cynic
Unbreakable Sub-Zero is indisputably obsolete. But before you rage at me for down-playing let me lay out a couple of notes outlining the character in a practical manner:

Good: Slide is a great mobility tool and is his go-to combo ender almost exclusively granting him reputable corner carry. It's also an extremely fast armored special which puts him into low profile One of the best moves of it's kind present in the game. Ice ball/Ice blast are decent projectiles that tend to win trades, one of the most unique zoning/anti-zoning tools in the game and allows him to extend combos off of his mixups, b33 most notably. Ice Aura is a decent buff tool thatat its highest potential grants Subby around 30% damage mitigation as well as no chip. It's active for quite a while. This is the saving grace of the variation, allowing him to play much more boldly and allowing him to weather an incessant onslaught of pressure or projectile zoning. Has access to a parry which will freeze an opponent and allow him to convert into a combo. Otherwise has the same applications as any other parry present in the game

Bad: Damage output is quite possibly the worst in the entire game being capped at 30% midscreen with the added benefit of wasting a bar for 33%. Maximum conversion off a parry is 26%. In the corner his numbers increase by about 10%. Damage aside, the recovery on his parry is incredibly high, with the risk of losing out 40+% dominating when juxtaposed with the measly 25% one gains for successful implementation. The move is best used nigh exclusively to punish string gaps, at the cost of a bar of meter in many instances. He lacks a meaningful anti air, and the shield will not parry jump-ins (fair). Also he inexplicably loses his armored launcher ice burst/bomb, therefore eliminating an armored special that was an excellent defense tool.

What I Find Concerning: It would appear that releases of certain characters feature moves that undermine the variation specific tools that were meant to draw people to Unbreakable in the first place. Apparently moves that negate chip come with all sorts of bonuses NRS couldn't muster for Ice Aura, and ice parry doesn't have shit on what "Abysmal" Tremor can cook up with a hard knockdown setup.

Unbreakble is not a defensive variation in the same league as GM (although all of his tools actually work in UNB) and it certainly doesn't have the same anti-zoning tools as other characters on the roster, so I honestly don't see Unbreakable as anything other than Sub-Zero without a variation. When you way the positives and the negatives, the positives that remain noteworthy are already present in what makes Sub-Zero an inherently strong character--- not Unbreakable a good variation.

For the sake of levity and humor, I'm leaving a highly irrelevant video I use exclusively for unapologetic downplay, because trying to do anything else in regards to Unbreakable is highly painful:

Last edited:

ZeZe

The smart stuff!
I'm pretty much tired of this. Sub looks more and more like a half baked character whose best variation got pretty much crippled with first patch, and is the only one character who NRS perceives "balanced", even though every other character has been adjusted already, but him. NRS doesn't give a sht and so shouldn't we. I'm taking it as is until KI comes to PC.

I have one request regarding this part:
Ice Aura is a decent buff tool that grants Subby around 30% damage mitigation as well as no chip when enhanced.
Normal Aura grants no chip dmg and enhanced one additionally mitigates not blocked damage. Pls fix.

To answer OP's question: unbreakable is not relevant and never was, just as spectral Ermac. The only difference is UB Sub's concept is far more better and looks like wasted potential (wasted because he is not going to be fixed. Should he be, he would get adjustments in patch that addressed everybody but him). He is even less relevant now that you can play Predator who has mini unbreakable in each variation.

So what that you have special that allows you not to take chip dmg. You have first find safe way to get it on and then struggle with dealing enough damage to kill your opponents before they can kill you + you are pretty slow building meter in this variation, so you better don't get hit.
So what you can block forever if Raiden and other masters of meter building will only use this opportunity to build up 2 or 3 breakers per round, so that they fk you over every time you finally get in for your measly 30% dmg (if you are lucky). But if they open you up, you loose 40% +.
This is hopeless variation. Only good for casual game play.

Last edited:

ZeZe

The smart stuff!
Unbreakable is a counter pick variation, so play him like one.
I have yet to see tournament when Sub player decides to counter pick with different Sub variation. So far if they counter pick, they just change character (DJT to Kung Lao for example, or Madzin to Kotal). I have yet to see some Unbreakable game play during offline tourneys. Too bad not all are streamed. Maybe there were some UB Subs during CEO or EVO we didn't see.

RVB

twitch.tv/rvblacktail
Counterpick who exactly?
If the ice shield wouldn't have 1000 frames of recovery maybe zoners but as it sits now there is no matchup in which unbreakable would do better than gm.
I dunno really...

Wetdoba

All too easy...
If the ice shield wouldn't have 1000 frames of recovery maybe zoners but as it sits now there is no matchup in which unbreakable would do better than gm.
I dunno really...
Its better against punchwalk I know that

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
Counterpick who exactly?
Both Flame fist and Dragon's Fire Liu Kang both beat GM sub, but go even or lose to Unbreakable. Sort of the same deal with Kenshi and Cyromancer, you wouldn't pick GM for that. It's better to choose a variation that deals more offensive. I'm sure the same deal applies to other characters.

This is just what one of my buddies has told me. He used to main GM exclusively since day 1, but has since warmed up to the idea of learning what his other variations can do.

RVB

twitch.tv/rvblacktail
shield should be more viable for anti zoning, needs higher damage so make the ice trait increase damage by 5%
Why would you give damage buffs to a variation that relies on defense to win?
IMO the shield needs to recover faster and give you more meter when you parry projectiles and hits.
Maybe make it so it does parry jump ins but besides that UB is solid because it's a simple variation based on a simple idea... defense.

RVB

twitch.tv/rvblacktail
I dunno about you guys but playing UB and parrying a projectile only to be hit by another one just cuz the recovery on the shield is so long is complete bullshit.
You're getting punished for making the right choice, plenty of you will agree ,I think.

Last edited:

matmusada

Lin Kuei Initiate
I thought that during the earlier stages that Ice Aura was going to also provide one-hit of armor. Guess I was just seeing things.

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
So you spend a bar of meter to rush down with impunity and take less damage if they somehow manage to hit you twice before you hit them?

Am I reading this right?

RVB

twitch.tv/rvblacktail
So you spend a bar of meter to rush down with impunity and take less damage if they somehow manage to hit you twice before you hit them?

Am I reading this right?
I take it you don't approve? The I suppose you don't approve of the other spend a bar of meter,be safe and continue pressure setups ALREADY in the game...a la Shinok.
But anyway this will never happen so what's the point of discussing it.
What UB could really use is less shield recovery so u can properly parry projectiles and maybe make it that it catches jumpins.
Besides that i don't see any reasonable buffs.
Do you?

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Reduce recovery frames on Ice Parry.

Allow him more damage from a successful parry so that it's actually a threat.

Remove that retarded looking mask. :p

ZeZe

The smart stuff!
Besides that i don't see any reasonable buffs.
Do you?
Apart from reducing recovery on shield, some reliable anti air, like the one 2 his other variations have.
Better meter building. I'd be fine if UB Sub had the lowest dmg, but against characters who deal lots of it and have faster meter building he has no chances because they are able to break his ever so weak combos much too often. He should also be able to build up meter at least as fast as Raiden. Maybe have a bit of meter build each time he blocks attacks when aura is active. He needs this meter. Period.