What's new

If MK is Announced For MLG 2013 -- Will We Support it and Keep Our Numbers Up?

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
This is a question I've been pondering for some time now. 2012 was an huge year for MK9; we saw record numbers, a sharp rise in both interest and payouts for this game, and we had our first big 'official esports' series for MK9.

It was fresh, it was new, and clearly our community was excited and took advantage of it. It was a road filled with peaks and valleys though; after lower attendance at Raleigh (even though that was a fantastic tournament), it took a massive effort just to get people to register on time, take care of their expenses, and help each other get to MLG Dallas in November.

That effort paid off in spades, though, as we registered the largest attendance for MK9 at an MLG event.

So I pose this question heading into 2013; it's no longer new, and we've expended massive effort to get our community to do simple things like registering ahead of time. And we have competing factors; Injustice is a few months away from release -- and some people will likely drop one for the other. But this is still a great platform for our game, and will require us to support it if we want it to continue.

Do we have what it takes? Will we show up in force this year if it's announced? Will we continue to get 90 people out to these events and show the world how awesome and dedicated we are?

What do you think!

K7L33THA

Grapple > Footsies
I think Dallas proved that the MKC appreciates MLG support more than other games in the FGC. We had limited notice and forced them to expand the cap, and put on a good show. While we might not exceed 2012's numbers I think our scene would still show up. MLG has been great for our game, hopefully it continues.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Raleighs biggest problem with numbers was it was a place that had no scene for FGs. The closest is MAK guys like Blackula. Columbus, Anaheim, and Dallas all had fairly nearby large scenes to contribute to the numbers. People who don't travel often contribute the largest to the number of entrants.

Other than Raleigh numbers were in the 90s for the other 3 and that's what they can expect.

I personally hope its picked up again as MLG was talking on twitter how there will likely be one in Chicago this year.

EdFig81

Original OBS mbr/VSM/G4S
This is a question I've been pondering for some time now. 2012 was an huge year for MK9; we saw record numbers, a sharp rise in both interest and payouts for this game, and we had our first big 'official esports' series for MK9.

It was fresh, it was new, and clearly our community was excited and took advantage of it. It was a road filled with peaks and valleys though; after lower attendance at Raleigh (even though that was a fantastic tournament), it took a massive effort just to get people to register on time, take care of their expenses, and help each other get to MLG Dallas in November.

That effort paid off in spades, though, as we registered the largest attendance for MK9 at an MLG event.

So I pose this question heading into 2013; it's no longer new, and we've expended massive effort to get our community to do simple things like registering ahead of time. And we have competing factors; Injustice is a few months away from release -- and some people will likely drop one for the other. But this is still a great platform for our game, and will require us to support it if we want it to continue.

Do we have what it takes? Will we show up in force this year if it's announced? Will we continue to get 90 people out to these events and show the world how awesome and dedicated we are?

What do you think!
If MLG keeps their FG division i don't see why MK9 won't be included. In fact if MLG was smart they would also add Injustice to their Fighting game circuit just because they know the MK Kommunity will support both games at MLG events. I see it as a WIN WIN for them being that the numbers for both games will be pretty close at each event.

LBSH even after MLG cancelled the arena and left a bad taste in everyones mouth and as you stated announced the last MLG so late our community still broke records and made them raise the cap. NOT BAD for a game that almost everyone says is dead. From a business stand point MLG would be stupid not to include MK9 this yr. Plus as I stated they shouldn't replace MK9 with Injustice have both.

I honestly think MK9 will make it this yr on MLG's circuit.

This Kommunity would support MK9 for MLG 2013 i feel and would support the same as last yr if not more IMO

Well as of right now, the only game people are mad about that isn't announced is SC2, which is pretty obvious that it'll be there. That's why Adam put out that tweet. It's probably hard negotiating that deal for HoTS since it isn't out yet and will be out around the time of the event.

:3

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
The real question is if they will have a fg division again. If they decided yes then there is no reason MK wouldn't be there, seeing as how the game had the most entrants.

I wouldn't worry about what has been announced so far. SC2 isn't even up and we all know MLG wouldn't leave that out.

CRUM

Noob
Idk about anyone else, but these boards feel empty without Pig Of The Hut. SCR was awesome, and that's a good indication of how MK will be in 2013. Lets just hope that we can salvage the few important players in this community and that we can meet, or even exceed 2012s numbers should MLG pick up this game.

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
Idk about anyone else, but these boards feel empty without Pig Of The Hut. SCR was awesome, and that's a good indication of how MK will be in 2013. Lets just hope that we can salvage the few important players in this community and that we can meet, or even exceed 2012s numbers should MLG pick up this game.

Thinking the same thing. I think he's still competing though. Just staying away from the forum.

CRUM

Noob
Thinking the same thing. I think he's still competing though. Just staying away from the forum.
He is and I can empathize with that to the fullest extent. But I'm just speaking for myself when I say that I think the whole NEC/rigging bullshit may have ruined this community on the inside. I respect Pig and am glad he's still competing. But it's a damned shame

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
He is and I can empathize with that to the fullest extent. But I'm just speaking for myself when I say that I think the whole NEC/rigging bullshit may have ruined this community on the inside. I respect Pig and am glad he's still competing. But it's a damned shame
What does NEC have anything to do with Pig Of The Hut?

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
There should be more people at MLG MK tournaments than EVO, imo. Not just for the money either, but getting paid 10x the amount at MLG is a huge incentive.

coolwhip

Noob
These boards wouldn't be these boards without a top player acting emo. I love Pig, we need him back.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Nothing, I think shit like what happened makes people not want to take part in online discussions and things of that nature. That's just my opinion though.
What would he be mad about? I think that what happened should have happened.

I don't think Pig is on a hiatus because of NEC. HE had nothing to do with NEC.

GGA HAN

Galloping Ghost Arcade
If anyone that plays MK can make it to any MLG event, they need to. No offence to community run events, but the amount of support and treatment we get at these events is through the roof. There's around 30 casual stations, free Dr. Pepper, blasting AC and it even doesn't smell too bad (depending on who you're standing next to, I guess). The power of corporate sponsors, I suppose, is what allows them to pamper us MK players like this, but it feels great to be treated like royalty after spending time and $$ to get to their events. Just my .02, I hope I don't offend community run event TO's or anything!

CptXecution

Brain Dead Bro
6 different kinds at that ;)

Honestly I think Dallas (if it's announced) will get just a little more than Raleigh because there's other things people are planning for. In 2012, Dallas was all we had at that time.

I won't make it to Dallas but hopefully they do something North East again like Providence (not because I live in Rhode Island or anything).