What's new

If I was going to start listening to Metal, where would I start?

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
This is kind of an odd question, but recently i've read that to some people listening to metal is like a release(relaxing, I guess?) and i'd like to give it a shot.

I'm open-minded, i've just never gone out of my way to listen to it before.
I got very into progressive metal over the last decade. I find that the people who really enjoy metal generally either like really hard music, or are themselves musicians, and enjoy the technicality and intricacy of the music (that would be me). A lot of the metal out there can actually be very beautiful; there are some crazy melodic breakdowns.

The question to ask yourself is, do you mind the screaming? If so, you’ll want to look into bands that are instrumental, or that release instrumental versions of their songs. I’ve come not to mind most of the screaming, as I view the vocals as a purely percussive element rather than a melodic one. Here are some recommendations to get you started:

VOCALS
Sikth, my favorite metal band of all time. Sick guitar interplay.

Intronaut. Not the biggest fan of the vocals, but the guitar work is very different. The melodic breakdowns are really pretty, particularly in the center where there are no vocals. The bass is straight up jazzy sounding.

Strapping Young Lad. Devon Townsend is a god. This is one of the angriest songs I can think of. Drumming by Gene Hoglan, “The Atomic Clock,” who is the drummer behind Metalocalpyse on Adult Swim.

Meshuggah. These guys rule and also have a sense of humor. One of their music videos is just them on their tour bus air-drumming and air-guitaring the entire song while the lead singer sings into a pencil.

NO VOCALS
Pelican. They generally get classified as “post-metal.” It’s a little slower and a little more melodic and it’s frigging awesome. The long “outro” portion of this song is godly.

Periphery. If you want a song that is headbangy with a main riff that you’ll learn then can’t stop drumming along on your desk, this is it.

Hydrodjent (now called Skyharbor). It can be a little “crowded” sounding, but the guitarist is absolutely insane. Hydrodjent tracks don’t have any vocals, Skyharbor versions of the songs do. This stuff is super technical, tons of bizarre extra measures thrown in everywhere.

Liquid Tension Experiment. Oldie but goodie. Classic heavy progressive stuff. Much more melodic but still insanely fun to listen to even after all these years.

Error

DF2+R2
Skkra You might like Martyr, pretty awesome Canadian tech death band, but it doesn't sound wanky or anything

edit: They got the title wrong -.- "Nameless, Faceless, Neverborn"

SZSR

Noob
I got very into progressive metal over the last decade. I find that the people who really enjoy metal generally either like really hard music, or are themselves musicians, and enjoy the technicality and intricacy of the music (that would be me). A lot of the metal out there can actually be very beautiful; there are some crazy melodic breakdowns.

The question to ask yourself is, do you mind the screaming? If so, you’ll want to look into bands that are instrumental, or that release instrumental versions of their songs. I’ve come not to mind most of the screaming, as I view the vocals as a purely percussive element rather than a melodic one. Here are some recommendations to get you started:
Wow, very in depth. As far as screaming, I look for vocals to be melodic, something you can get stuck in your head just because it's catchy.

Like I like "mild" screaming like at around 1:38 in this video(the whole portion of that song starts at 1:06 if you need context)
Because it flows with the music.

The handful of screaming songs i've listened to try to go over the top and just feel like they fight the music instead if that makes sense. That's just me though, maybe i'm listening to it incorrectly.

Oh also, please put spoiler tags on your vids.

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, and Metallica are definitely musts for anyone new to metal.

However, here's a few of my favorite "metal" songs/music videos:

Cradle of Filth/Liv Kristine: Nymphetamine

H.I.M.: Wicked Game (cover...the cool Euro one, not the U.S. released single)

I used to listen to HIM alot back in the day, good songs to skate too.

Only metal song I really listen to is As the roots undo by circle takes the square and almost everything by SOAD. Great band

Skkra

As far as screaming, I look for vocals to be melodic, something you can get stuck in your head just because it's catchy.
Hmm. I don’t know if you’ll find something exactly like what you’re looking for in that song you posted… a lot of (what I consider to be) good metal is a mix of brutal screaming and textured melodic breakdowns. Sikth’s “Scent of the Obscene” could be a good one to check out… the entire middle section is super melodic.

Based on the song you posted, you could maybe check out Protest the Hero? Link in the spoiler. Honestly I can’t listen to them because the vocals annoy the shit out of me hahaha but a bunch of my friends like them.

Skkra

KT Smith
Error

Yo, Error, Martyr was pretty interesting. I liked that song you posted. I'll check out more.

You guys like Nile at all? I generally do not... the cookie monster growls are a little too goofy for me... BUT... for some reason, I love this fucking song hahahaha. I think the commitment to nonstop double bass through the entire song sells me on it.

MetalPete

MACHKAAAAA!!!!!
Nile is badass, but has gotten repetitive. George Kollais (sp?) is one of the greatest drummers ever though and their album "For Whom the Gods Detest" is their best, in my opinion. (edit: Lashed to the Slave Stick!!!! I retract my vote and say that Annilation of the Wicked)

I used to be crazy into death metal, but the whole idea that something has to be "brutal" to be good wore on me fast. I like some black metal, but the tr00, or kvlt, stuff always bothered me...nothing enjoyable about listening to an album that sounds like it was recorded on an answering machine. The only black metal band worth a shit is Old Man's Child

In fact, I hate the idea that each band has to fit into a specific genre or sub-genre. The elitists in metal are rivaled only by those in the fighting game community.

Favorite bands in no order with best album to start listening to:
Gojira - Mars to Sirius
Cannibal Corpse - The Wretched Spawn
Testament - The Gathering
Metallica - ALL OF THEM!!! I love Metallica! Well, maybe, skip St. Anger :(
Soilwork - Natural Born Chaos
Strapping Young Lad/Devin Townsend - Alien/Deconstruction (Be warned, Deconstruction is nuttier than squirrel shit but sooo worth it)
Sepultura - Chaos A.D.
Meshuggah - ObZen

I will say this, Soilwork's "The Living Infinite" came out the beginning of this year and it is quite possibly the greatest album I have purchased in the last 6 years. 2 discs of the most creative and original metal you will hear in a long time.

MetalPete

MACHKAAAAA!!!!!
Holy shit, I cannot believe I didn't list Opeth!

Totally warrants a whole new post.

Go buy "Still Life".....Now!

Error

DF2+R2
You guys like Nile at all? I generally do not... the cookie monster growls are a little too goofy for me... BUT... for some reason, I love this fucking song hahahaha. I think the commitment to nonstop double bass through the entire song sells me on it.
I love Nile and their duo vocals, I love it when there are two different guys growling(Dying Fetus) or when the vocalist has huge enough range to be able to growl in many different styles(Cryptopsy and Cattle Decapitation). Nile's lyrics are super interesting too.]

As far as harsh vocals go, I feel vocals are more like another instrument in metal as opposed to being the main focus, as with popular music. So the more versatile and creative one can get with their growls, screams, and singing, the better.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Karl Sanders is pharaoh of both Egypt and fried chicken

(I love Nile even though all their albums, except Those Whom the Gods Detest, sound like shit)

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Nile is badass, but has gotten repetitive. George Kollais (sp?) is one of the greatest drummers ever though and their album "For Whom the Gods Detest" is their best, in my opinion. (edit: Lashed to the Slave Stick!!!! I retract my vote and say that Annilation of the Wicked)

I used to be crazy into death metal, but the whole idea that something has to be "brutal" to be good wore on me fast. I like some black metal, but the tr00, or kvlt, stuff always bothered me...nothing enjoyable about listening to an album that sounds like it was recorded on an answering machine. The only black metal band worth a shit is Old Man's Child

In fact, I hate the idea that each band has to fit into a specific genre or sub-genre. The elitists in metal are rivaled only by those in the fighting game community.

Favorite bands in no order with best album to start listening to:
Gojira - Mars to Sirius
Cannibal Corpse - The Wretched Spawn
Testament - The Gathering
Metallica - ALL OF THEM!!! I love Metallica! Well, maybe, skip St. Anger :(
Soilwork - Natural Born Chaos
Strapping Young Lad/Devin Townsend - Alien/Deconstruction (Be warned, Deconstruction is nuttier than squirrel shit but sooo worth it)
Sepultura - Chaos A.D.
Meshuggah - ObZen

I will say this, Soilwork's "The Living Infinite" came out the beginning of this year and it is quite possibly the greatest album I have purchased in the last 6 years. 2 discs of the most creative and original metal you will hear in a long time.
The living infinite and disarm the descent are currently my two favorites. The living infinite is just unique though, nothing like it that I have heard.

Also subzerosmokerain if you want metal without a lot of unclean vocals I suggest these guys:

Almost no unclean vocals. Also the music video is hilarious, at least to me.

As far as screaming, I look for vocals to be melodic, something you can get stuck in your head just because it's catchy.
Check out some of these bands. Most are based out of Norway and other parts of Europe and have lots of melodic pieces and clean vocals in newer albums, with few shrieks/screams. Some of the last ones I posted are a bit slower tempo and have female singers. Let me know what you think.

Sasuga

Noob
I started listening to nu-metal bands like Korn but later on 'evolved' to 'better' metal, like Tool. I loved Dimmu Borgir and Cradle of Filth but also Marilyn Manson. Now I really like Moonspell.

Nowadays it's really easy to get new music online. Find something you like. ^^