What's new

IDGAF Throws Are Too Strong

stokedAF

casual kahnage
I don’t mind it. It’s not fun to watch though. I wanted to watch some high level play and turned on sonic fox vs dragon and SF beat dragon using nothing but throws lol. I turned it off.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
Is there any techniques To tech them better?
Animation of the back vs forward is different with every character. Slightly. If you set in practice and observe the minor difference it help alot. Then there is the readability of them. If they have you in the corner it's most likely going to be a forward throw since they want you to stay locked down with limited options and it's easier to land a throw on someone who can't walk or jump backwards.
Simple but effective. In the end it's a guess as much as number of hits, staggers, tick throws, 50/50s and 30/30/30s.
But I feel throws are easier to escape since you have a response and if you mess that up you get a second chance to tech it.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
I can agree that throws are a little too good. And by that I mean abusable. Make the throw break more negative for the offender and restrict breakaway on d2 KB.

And holding block shouldn’t bar you from breaking a throw.

Throws beat block AND counterpoke. Teching a throw is a 50/50 that leads to 30% with some character if you tech wrong. Throw beats too much shit. When in doubt, fucking throw. It's going to land and worst case scenario you get a free mixup out of it! woohoo! You have to just NOT BLOCK on wakeup sometimes if you think he might throw you. What type of shit is that?

inb4 'I tEcH eVeRy SiNgLe TiMe"
no you fucking don't you're a liar.
I always felt that forward and back throws should have their own unique animations.

Believe it or not the throw tech window seems pretty generous compared to the previous MK games.

leoj89

Noob
Making pokes able to low profile throws will make the game an insane poke-mashing-fest.

Throws are strong I agree but the other way around will make it muuuuuuuch worse.

KB throws need to be toned down IMO. Make them around 18 or 19% instead of 31%.
I was with the op until I read this post. Idk throw might have been stronger in MKX but you feel like demi god throwing in MK11. Maybe it needs to be toned down a bit and I say this as athrow spammer.

Simba

Noob
The only thing I don't agree with is throws legit jailing after a jump in. No neutral ducking no jumping you just have to tech the throw. Other than that I think they are fine as is. It is frustrating getting your poke thrown even though throws are technically highs, but the jailing thing is what i hate the most that applies universally to the game.

Corruption100

Plus Frame Enjoyer
I always tech them wrong. and when I try to neutral d2 i somehow fuck that up and get thrown or combo'd. it has not been fun. would be really helpful if there was an option to tech with throw button though.

Wallach

Noob
I feel like there are two changes that would benefit the meta and would go hand in hand.

1. Make d1 active longer and have more advantage on hit, and more negative on block.
This would stop people from mashing d1 like an idiot and having to literally justframe your input after your d1 not to get d1'd back on hit.
This would also blow people up who just d1 out of habit.
2. And then make throws not work on downpokes anymore, and we wouldn't have scrubs go d1, throw, d1, throw annoying the fuck out of people who are trying to play honest neutral online.
I think there is a valid argument here at least that D1s could use a global adjustment. Pretty much everyone can jail into a high on D1 hit but it's a tight window in a lot of cases. I'm not sure how negative you can afford to make them when there are 6f D1s - I don't think anyone should ever be able to punish a blocked D1 with a D1 - but making the attacker have an easier time jailing into highs after D1 would probably curb "D1 spam" a good deal.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
I think there is a valid argument here at least that D1s could use a global adjustment. Pretty much everyone can jail into a high on D1 hit but it's a tight window in a lot of cases. I'm not sure how negative you can afford to make them when there are 6f D1s - I don't think anyone should ever be able to punish a blocked D1 with a D1 - but making the attacker have an easier time jailing into highs after D1 would probably curb "D1 spam" a good deal.
Certainly. I think they all should be 7f, all should be active longer and have a bigger hit advantage so that they are compelling on hit.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
Throws are fine. The only thing that should get changed is the dmg off a KB throw, cause thats kinda ridiculous. Although, IMO, throws shouldnt have KBs at all from the get go.

Krackatoa

BEES? BEES!
Here's some things you can do:

1. Rhythm/Fuzzy Guard

If your opponent doesn't time Throw to hit on the same frames a button would connection, you can Crouch Block > Release Block > Block in time with the throw window. This will allow you to block most things like meaty hits, while netting you big damage on a reaction d2 throw punish. This is especially nice on wakeup since you can do this after delay to further mess with the opponent, but it works best in situations where the opponent wants to throw with predictable timing, such as after d1.

If they use the d1 frame advantage to go into a slower option (Perhaps a strong mid starter), but buffer throw out of d1 recovery, you'll defend against both options.

2. Always break so that if they're right, you get thrown out of the corner, or put in a more advantageous position.

Throws aren't actually a 50/50, given that most characters can lose the corner on back throw. This is a huge positional disadvantage. If they want the throw, they have to give up positioning. This will allow you to win by attrition even if your opponent is successfully mixing up his throw directions.

Depending on the character matchup, you can shut down any subsequent offense.

I feel like I should remind everyone you get a chance at the break window on reaction.

If you haven't implemented either of these in your play, you weren't completely playing MK to begin with, so why complain about throws?

hate the time you have to jail a high after a successful d1 sometimes it comes out sometimes I get hit back with a d1 lol

Blewdew

PSN: MaxKayX3
How many frames do you have to react to tech a throw? Right now I‘ve never teched one out of reaction, only because of reads. I‘d be fine with how they work in this game if they‘d increase the time to tech by a few frames at least

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I feel like there are two changes that would benefit the meta and would go hand in hand.

1. Make d1 active longer and have more advantage on hit, and more negative on block.
This would stop people from mashing d1 like an idiot and having to literally justframe your input after your d1 not to get d1'd back on hit.
This would also blow people up who just d1 out of habit.
2. And then make throws not work on downpokes anymore, and we wouldn't have scrubs go d1, throw, d1, throw annoying the fuck out of people who are trying to play honest neutral online.
  1. This game has an excellent practice mode, you can find all the answers you need there, moves in general have 2 active frames and that's how they should be.
  2. This games needs no changes.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
  1. This game has an excellent practice mode, you can find all the answers you need there, moves in general have 2 active frames and that's how they should be.
  2. This games needs no changes.
I saw your opinion previously but unlike most of the time, this time I disagree. I always disliked 2-3 frame windows in games and I'm too old and set in my ways to change my opinion about that.