What's new

I need help with Sketor BnB and i need tips

Altaire

Noob
I don't think it's so difficult it can't be done. I can land it consistently offline, and the timing is really no worse than Reptile's 3 2 1 whiff dash into NJP. That's used frequently in tournament play, and I know good Reptile players who do it consistently online. Generally, anything with such a tight input window is going to be easier to land just by learning the space between your inputs; when I asked THTB how he's so consistent with the dash whiff into NJP, he said "I don't even have to be in the same room to do it". The only time it's impractical to attempt a combo with strict timing is if your opponent's positioning is a factor. Sub Zero, for instance, should usually punish an opponent on an air freeze/NJP launcher with B1 2 into 2 1 2 slide, but it's entirely possible to land B1 2 into 2 1 4 slide (yes, from midscreen) under the right circumstances. However, since your opponent's juggle state is inconsistent throughout this combo, it can't always be done, so it isn't worth the risk. In any combo where your opponent's juggle state is invariable, timing is the only factor, especially since MK9 doesn't have a whole lot of execution-heavy inputs. This works as such in Sektor's case because B2, on the ground, sets your opponent into a preset recoil state before you hit them with the telepunch. No matter how many times you do this combo, you're going to juggle them the exact same way, so you can feasibly pull it off as long as you have the timing down.

If you can't pull it off ten out of ten times, you just need to work on it more. It can be done, and it's practical enough to do in a real match setting. The only time a combo is impractical is if it's inferior to an existing combo (little or no difference in damage, less advantage, more break opportunities) or if it can't be performed consistently due to extenuating circumstances.

Good find on the jumpkick into B2 off an EX telepunch, though. I'm going to have to try that.

Crathen

Death is my business
a little advice in case this wasnt shared , to my knowledge the best punish ya can get from a EX TU is:

EX TU JK TU B2 into flamethrower/upmissle/1

spongebob

ಠ__ಠ
I don't think it's so difficult it can't be done. I can land it consistently offline, and the timing is really no worse than Reptile's 3 2 1 whiff dash into NJP. That's used frequently in tournament play, and I know good Reptile players who do it consistently online. Generally, anything with such a tight input window is going to be easier to land just by learning the space between your inputs; when I asked THTB how he's so consistent with the dash whiff into NJP, he said "I don't even have to be in the same room to do it". The only time it's impractical to attempt a combo with strict timing is if your opponent's positioning is a factor. Sub Zero, for instance, should usually punish an opponent on an air freeze/NJP launcher with B1 2 into 2 1 2 slide, but it's entirely possible to land B1 2 into 2 1 4 slide (yes, from midscreen) under the right circumstances. However, since your opponent's juggle state is inconsistent throughout this combo, it can't always be done, so it isn't worth the risk. In any combo where your opponent's juggle state is invariable, timing is the only factor, especially since MK9 doesn't have a whole lot of execution-heavy inputs. This works as such in Sektor's case because B2, on the ground, sets your opponent into a preset recoil state before you hit them with the telepunch. No matter how many times you do this combo, you're going to juggle them the exact same way, so you can feasibly pull it off as long as you have the timing down.

If you can't pull it off ten out of ten times, you just need to work on it more. It can be done, and it's practical enough to do in a real match setting. The only time a combo is impractical is if it's inferior to an existing combo (little or no difference in damage, less advantage, more break opportunities) or if it can't be performed consistently due to extenuating circumstances.

Good find on the jumpkick into B2 off an EX telepunch, though. I'm going to have to try that.
I still see it as impractical, imo if it was doable 10/10 times then i'd see people like sektroll utilising it more but thats just my view. Tbh people drop basic bnb's all the time especially in a tourny setting and even though players like THTB have got the njp I'm sure they still drop it a few times. Thing is after 321 elbow dash the njp is the pretty much the main option. Theres an easier way to continue the combo with ex fast foceball but that uses meter obviously and whilst you can do 321 though I don't find that much easier then the njp. Anyway I consider the 321 dash njp to be a bnb because its the main option, off of b2 TU theres stuff more reliable.

Also IMO the b2 as a launcher itself is ass anyway. Correct me if i'm wrong but theres no way to hit confirm b2 to TU. Now obviously your not going to be just throwing b2 out it'll be done after a jip but you can't confirm jip's into anything they need to be inputted before hand so therefore the only place to use it is after something really unsafe where they're standing so maybe a whiffed NW lightning or jumping over a projecticle? And if you mess up? Then they block a TU and free combo. And also again correct me if I'm wrong but his b2 TU etc only does about 4-5% more?

His 12b1 launcher is just so much better that you don't even ever have to do b2 imo. I don't even think its unsafe but the b1 is hit confirmable, its faster and theres no immediate TU linking so its not as risky. Still if you really do get it 10/10 times and theres a situation to do it then why not? But tbh I'd advise against ever bothering with it thats just my thoughts though.

spongebob

ಠ__ಠ
Also has any1 tried this before? After any bnb where you finish with ex TU (has to be a high one so eg 12b1 jk Tu jk ex Tu) instead of doing an ender dash underneath them then immediately after when they do their wakeup cross them over with a jump punch into a combo. May not be worth sacrificing that 10% but might be a good gimmick to try once. This is good against opponents that wake up attack a lot as you can actually catch wake up attacks like ex nomad dash past the invincibility frames (or before?) and it'll flip the inputs on some stuff and may confuse them, certain moves like spin (and tbh probably any move that can go under a jump in punch) will probably stuff it altogether and so will techroll and delayed wakeup but again might be a fun thing to try once.

Gamin_Guru

Shang Bang
- start the match with Flamethrower. Many opponents always try to jump in punch at the start of a match
- 21 upmissile can be used to make a safe jump in punch
- dont bother with the X-Ray
- EX-straight missile can not be crouched, toss out straight missiles enough until your opponent crouches without blocking then hit them by surprise
- when facing Smoke, bait out Shake by doing front/back upmissile
- use Front upmissile more often when zoning
- like others have said, Sektor has great pokes

Altaire

Noob
ANYWAY, back on track:

I still see it as impractical, imo if it was doable 10/10 times then i'd see people like sektroll utilising it more but thats just my view. Tbh people drop basic bnb's all the time especially in a tourny setting and even though players like THTB have got the njp I'm sure they still drop it a few times. Thing is after 321 elbow dash the njp is the pretty much the main option. Theres an easier way to continue the combo with ex fast foceball but that uses meter obviously and whilst you can do 321 though I don't find that much easier then the njp. Anyway I consider the 321 dash njp to be a bnb because its the main option, off of b2 TU theres stuff more reliable.

Also IMO the b2 as a launcher itself is ass anyway. Correct me if i'm wrong but theres no way to hit confirm b2 to TU. Now obviously your not going to be just throwing b2 out it'll be done after a jip but you can't confirm jip's into anything they need to be inputted before hand so therefore the only place to use it is after something really unsafe where they're standing so maybe a whiffed NW lightning or jumping over a projecticle? And if you mess up? Then they block a TU and free combo. And also again correct me if I'm wrong but his b2 TU etc only does about 4-5% more?

His 12b1 launcher is just so much better that you don't even ever have to do b2 imo. I don't even think its unsafe but the b1 is hit confirmable, its faster and theres no immediate TU linking so its not as risky. Still if you really do get it 10/10 times and theres a situation to do it then why not? But tbh I'd advise against ever bothering with it thats just my thoughts though.
Well, as I said, it requires a guaranteed punish because it ISN'T hit confirmable. It shouldn't be your go-to Sektor combo, but if you see a guaranteed punish opportunity (especially off a crossup/jump-in punch), there's no reason you can't throw this in there. 52% damage is nothing to laugh at, you just need to know when to apply it. Any other time, I'd suggest opening with 1 2 B1 or B3 4.

It really isn't that hard to land, and like I said, it's no more difficult than Reptile's dash whiff into NJP (hell, I find this easier, if anything). It only seems hard to land because people aren't used to starting the B2 1 so soon. I mean, it's really no more timing-intensive than any of Rain's good combos, and it doesn't stop people from playing him; Crazy Dominican is going to start maining him after Evo, if I'm not mistaken. Also, you're looking at 52% damage off a jump-in punch with one bar, where Sektor's traditional BnB off a 1 2 B1 is 44% for one bar. It's not a huge gap, but it's definitely worth going for if you have a guaranteed punish. Consider that you're cleaving off just over half this guy's health in one combo.

a little advice in case this wasnt shared , to my knowledge the best punish ya can get from a EX TU is:

EX TU JK TU B2 into flamethrower/upmissle/1
...I really don't know HOW this slipped my mind, but thanks for pointing it out. I feel awfully retarded right about now.

- start the match with Flamethrower. Many opponents always try to jump in punch at the start of a match
- 21 upmissile can be used to make a safe jump in punch
- dont bother with the X-Ray
- EX-straight missile can not be crouched, toss out straight missiles enough until your opponent crouches without blocking then hit them by surprise
- when facing Smoke, bait out Shake by doing front/back upmissile
- use Front upmissile more often when zoning
- like others have said, Sektor has great pokes
...I'm sorry, but I have some problems with this.

- First off, you never start a match with the same thing every time, period. Opening with the flamethrower is a safe guess sometimes, but this will just give your opponent a free hit in some matchups. If you start to make this too obvious, your opponent is just going to use any armor move he has to fuck you over AND get that first hit bonus. Cage can EX shadow kick. Nightwolf can EX shoulder. Scorpion can EX spear, Kenshi can EX charge, Rain can EX damn-near-anything and Subs will be able to EX slide it as soon as the patch drops. These are just a few examples of the many.

All in all, starting with B1 is usually safer anyhow, though starting with the same attack every time is just going to make you exploitable. If you don't know your opponent, you shouldn't start with anything that isn't 200% safe. Even a lot of Sub Zero players make the mistake of doing an ice clone to open every single match, and if you know it's coming, you can punish it.

- Sektor's X-ray is great. It's quick, it has plenty of armor and it can be used to punish projectiles from anywhere on the screen. His meter is best spent on his EX telepunch, but there's no reason you can't use his X-ray if you're in a pinch or you need unbreakable damage.

- EX straight missile can't be crouched, but if you're using it from a safe distance (and you should never be using it from any other distance), it's not going to fool anyone. They're going to have ample time to block it or get out of the way, every single time. A mixup like this is better with someone like Nightwolf, where you can use the shoulder until it trains them to duck without blocking, then mix it up with EX shoulder (where the second hit will get them).

- I don't see the point in using up missiles against Smoke at all. Even if you do a close/far up missile, he can cancel Shake at any time. Moreover, if you keep trying to bait him out with this, he's just going to teleport punish you, every single time. With the kind of damage he gets off an EX teleport, you don't want to give him those opportunities. If you're playing Smoke, just rush him down, because Smoke has no answer for what Sektor can do to him (apart from "turtle turtle turtle smoke ball turtle turtle", which is his answer to everything).

- I'm almost certain you don't get a safe jump with 2 1 upmissile, but I'll try it out before I completely condemn it.

EDIT: Yeah, I tested it, 2 1 up missile doesn't give you anything CLOSE to a safe jump. In fact, it's so negative on block that they can punish you immediately. I seriously don't know where the hell you got this from.

PPJ

()
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
f+2 is such a great move, its like the offensive version of b+1. After a successful f+2 you have many options... low, throw, jump in punch, etc. It's a good round starter too.
f+2,b+1 is neat and I think safe on block but the second hit is duckable if the first hit is blocked. NRS should make it unduckable to be honest since you can't follow it up with anything anyways..

The highest damage you can get with one meter off of 1,2,b+1 midscreen is 1,2,b+1, NJP, b+2,1, b+3,4~exTU, b+2,1 or flamethrower - 49%
I'd say the instant tele upper variant into b+2,1 that has been posted by me and others awhile ago is easier and does only 1% less.

On another note, does anyone here think it would be too much of a buff if the last hit of 2,1,4 hit overhead?

Altaire

Noob
Oh, and:

f+2 is such a great move, its like the offensive version of b+1. After a successful f+2 you have many options... low, throw, jump in punch, etc. It's a good round starter too.
f+2,b+1 is neat and I think safe on block but the second hit is duckable if the first hit is blocked. NRS should make it unduckable to be honest since you can't follow it up with anything anyways..

The highest damage you can get with one meter off of 1,2,b+1 midscreen is 1,2,b+1, NJP, b+2,1, b+3,4~exTU, b+2,1 or flamethrower - 49%
I'd say the instant tele upper variant into b+2,1 that has been posted by me and others awhile ago is easier and does only 1% less.

On another note, does anyone here think it would be too much of a buff if the last hit of 2,1,4 hit overhead?
F2 B1 is unsafe on block, if I'm not mistaken. The reach is alright and I think it has more advantage on hit than B1 does, but for all intents and purposes, B1 is a more practical poking tool. If it is safe on block, feel free to correct me on that.

As for 2 1 for giving you an overhead on the last hit, I don't see that as being very useful. I'm pretty sure you can interrupt the string on block, and there's no low option for a 50/50 mixup. When you start the 2 1, they're just going to block every hit high, which completely negates the overhead. The only time an overhead is useful is if it's at the beginning of the string, or if it's in the middle of a string with a 50/50 option (and this isn't NEAR as useful as most people make it out to be).

I wouldn't say Sektor needs any buffs, though. He's a really solid character, he just doesn't get a lot of love because he has a reasonably high learning curve. He's basically in the same boat as Cyber Subs, Nightwolf and Jade.

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
RedRaptor10: Nice video. I'm a tournament player who's decided to pick up Sektor as my alternate to Johnny Cage and I saw what I hoped to see in that video. I just wanted to let you know that people watching the video are smart enough to determine what is flashy and what is useful in matches. Don't let Altaire get you down.

BookBurning

Voidwards
Altaire listen, no one is debating whether or not you know your character but the problem is you're being a complete dick and regardless of how well you teach, nobody wants their teacher to be a douchebag. If I was sitting in a classroom with a genius and articulate professor with an opportunity to learn a great deal but then the guy started being a douche to the class, I'd walk out of the room.

The problem is you're arrogant and even if you try to argue against that statement, it still remains a fact that you portray yourself in an arrogant way. The thing is, nobody honestly gives a shit if you know how to play Sektor well because guess what? You're one among many. Also another point is, and I'm going to say this as nicely as I can.

But are you fucking socially retarded?

A lead Moderator came in here telling you to stop being an asshole and what do you do? You tell Milk to Fuck off. If you keep up this bullshit then the only classroom you're going to have is youtube since you've already apparently been banned from Gamefaqs according to a couple of people here. At first I gave you the benefit of the doubt but after reading more of your posts, I am honestly not surprised.

After reading what you've wrote I think I'd rather scrape my own skin off with sandpaper than to have you teach me Sektor.

Tim Static

Adminerator
Altaire said:
We're clear, but I'm still not going to support something that's just going to mislead anyone who buys into it. I really don't think this guy has any right to tell someone to ignore me just because he doesn't like me, at that: I was nothing but civil towards Guru, and I feel I made some good points. It's awfully petty of this guy to try and discredit me just because I don't like his video, wouldn't you say?

I already told him to take this off the boards, at that. I don't want to carry on with this bullshit publicly when there's absolutely no reason to, and I said as much. I made that post because I don't think anyone here has a right to discredit me solely on the basis that he doesn't like me, regardless of credibility or validity.
Then you simply dont post in it. Its not up to you to regulate this site with what should be posted or not. People will take from it what they want. Feel free to make your own threads and give your 2 cents and input on what you think is better, what you think is right, etc etc, but dont shit on people who have worked hard to put something together the way you have. Ive gotten TONS of complaints about you tonight, and instead of infracting you, which i should of done, im letting you know what you need to stop doing, and what to start doing. You're obviously pretty intelligent, but your a fucking dickhead too. Dont do that man. You are hurting more than helping.

I am gonna clean up this thread, but take what i am saying and apply it to whatever you post on TYM from here on out.

:coffee:

Altaire

Noob
Alright Tim, I'll concede. If you want context, I have a history with RedRaptor on GFAQs. He asked me a question about some recorded sets I had yet to play against some guy who called me out, and when I gave him a perfectly polite answer, he got overly defensive, and came back at me some condescending bullshit along the lines of "By the way, I understand that neither of you are any good." At this point, this guy had never seen me play, being that we're on different systems. He had nothing to go on apart from word of mouth, and most of the GFAQs folk who have played me will tell you I'm pretty good. I basically said "Where the hell do you get off assuming I'm not any good when you don't know anything about me? At least I can tell by the Sektor tips video in your sig that you aren't", and from there, you couldn't mention Sektor, my name or both in a topic without him making some overly petty quip about me.

I think you can understand if I have some animosity towards him, but I do apologize for bringing that to TYM. I DO think his videos will misinform newer players (more so his tips video than his combo video, since combo videos are admittedly allowed a certain degree of flash). Regardless, I thought I'd clarify that I'm not some insufferable asshole who just goes around shitting on people's contributions; this is someone that I have history with. Up til now, I've never really had issue with anyone onsite, so it's not like this is routine for me. In either case, I'll hear you out and play nice from now on. Again, I apologize for bringing this to TYM, more so just for shitting up a thread that was going well up til that happened.

...That said, I think I have every right to respond to something like this:

Altaire listen, no one is debating whether or not you know your character but the problem is you're being a complete dick and regardless of how well you teach, nobody wants their teacher to be a douchebag. If I was sitting in a classroom with a genius and articulate professor with an opportunity to learn a great deal but then the guy started being a douche to the class, I'd walk out of the room.

The problem is you're arrogant and even if you try to argue against that statement, it still remains a fact that you portray yourself in an arrogant way. The thing is, nobody honestly gives a shit if you know how to play Sektor well because guess what? You're one among many. Also another point is, and I'm going to say this as nicely as I can.

But are you fucking socially retarded?

A lead Moderator came in here telling you to stop being an asshole and what do you do? You tell Milk to Fuck off. If you keep up this bullshit then the only classroom you're going to have is youtube since you've already apparently been banned from Gamefaqs according to a couple of people here. At first I gave you the benefit of the doubt but after reading more of your posts, I am honestly not surprised.

After reading what you've wrote I think I'd rather scrape my own skin off with sandpaper than to have you teach me Sektor.
Hoo boy, the things I could say to this.

First off, I've been playing with Milky for months now. I have nothing but respect for the guy, he's one of the best Reptile players out there. Five of us were even planning to go to Evo together (Milky, Lionheart, CitizenSnips, Shady9XD and myself), though Shady and I couldn't make it because neither of us could get a passport in time. Hell, there's a running joke going around on GFAQs/XBL that we're "The Justice League". On one hand, I suppose you wouldn't have known that, even if I was rooting for Milky in the Evo stream thread...

...But are you fucking socially retarded?

Really, you took me for serious when I said "F U Milky"? You couldn't tell that by SOME stretch of the imagination, I was being ironic? It was a joke, smart guy. I would've thought that was blatantly obvious, considering "F U" stops being a genuine insult after third grade. I didn't call the guy a scrub, I didn't call the guy an asshole, I didn't give him some kind of uncalled-for ad hominem treatment: It was a 100% completely harmless gesture. What's really ironic about all of this is that you accuse me of being socially retarded for it, when something like this just tells me that you don't have a whole lot of experience in a social setting; friends take jabs at one another all the time, all in good fun. Here I was, thinking everyone knew that by now.

Still, above and beyond all that, where the hell do you get off assuming that I was trying to get at the guy? Milky didn't complain about it because he knows I was just kidding. Even if you wouldn't know better (though you damn well should if you're anything close to a functional adult), what gives you the right to jump on me for something when you don't have any context whatsoever?

At least we agree on one thing: After reading what you've wrote, I think I'd rather you scrape your own skin off with sandpaper than have me teach you Sektor too.

P.S. I haven't been banned from GFAQs, just FYI.

CitizenSnips

A seldom used crab named Lucky. AKA Citizen Snips.
I just want to say while I do play with Altaire online, I do not agree with his essay long posts and find it unnecessary.