What's new

I need help with Sketor BnB and i need tips

noobie Sketor player here, looking to make him my main. Anyone can help with telling me tips and tactic's with him would be lovely.

also

I'm looking for some BnB combo's with him, so far my best BnB ( which not to hard to pull off) do about 34%, i mean it's seen fine to me. I do like to have a couple main combo's tho.

my main starters are his Leg lift, and (back) 4,4

his 1,2 back 1, seems like it's can be block to easy so i'm going try to avoid using it alot

Thanks in advance, cause i really want to main him and torch peoples with

:flamethrower:

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
start with his 1,2,<1 if you can, it only wiffs if youre too far away but if you can punish a move for instance you can have time to close in the gap. His low starter is really good too (his <3,4) mainly because once it lands even if its blocked you have time to do something else like a throw straight after, be careful about doing this against eople like kung lao because they'll probably spin you out of any further pressure.

sektor is NOT an up close fighter but you can have tiny offensive spurts here and there to mix up your playstyle but if you're just gonna attack them every time youll find yourself getting outjabbed by faster characters. in terms of pressure his 1,2 is actually quite good to do in a loop a few times and then ending it with 1,2,2 because the last hit is an overhead which means even if its blocked you can do a special move after it giving you further pressure. meter management is extremely important with sektor, NEVER do a blind random teleport punch unless it's enhanced due to it being safe on block. or if a jump kick lands air to air and you have time to teleport on reaction which can be a little tricky. his homing rocket is good to make them stop moving if theyre too up close happy and if they to attack you whilst its in the air it'll hit them giving you a free combo. his flamethrowers is an amazing anti air and is best donefrom about jump distance, if you do it right in their face if can be punished by certain characters.

as i play him as a defencive counter character i find myself taking risks sometimes, so it's always good to have a breaker incase you make a bad read. not to mention the breaker knocks them away slightly giing you a little space for rockets etc. his wakeup enhanced teleport is his bet way to escape pressure but it can sometimes be hit out of which in my opinion really blows haha.

the main combos i find myself doing without meter are 1,2,<1, >4,4,telepunch,<2,1 or you can not land the final hit and swap the 1 for an upward rocket. as it comes down they have to block otherwise it'll hit them giving you a free combo again. its also a very nice way to bait a wakeup attack.

i hope to be doing a sektor tutorial soon, hope this helped. you have xbl so if you want i can add you and give you a little once over with him?

Yea, 1, 2, <1 is super fast, and i do recommend using it a lot. Against slow characters, you can even surprise them by quickly dashing and trying it again, and it works for me. PLUS, because 1,2,<1 is a launcher, it will net you the most damage, as well as being the least punishable option that sektor has combo-wise. A good bnb is what ketchup said with 1,2 <1, >4, 4, Tele-cut, <2, 1. The flame thrower also works very well in combos Example: instead of 1 at the end of the combo try the flamethrower, as it puts the enemy in a standing state, preventing them from doing wake - ups and granting them invincibility frames. This can help you get in quick and will destroy most characters in a corner.

Basic combos I do with Sektor is his b3 4, 12b1, and 122 buffered into flame or uprocket.

Really my number 1 combo starter is his b3 4 since it starts with a low but isn't the safest since the 4 can be crouched blocked but few things can actually punish it, like poke really. The other combo starter I use is his classic 12b1 but the problem with that is 1 is crouch safe and if you go to the well with that combo you can get poked out of it before start up, really it's one of the best combo starters whenever it comes to his pressure game. Lastly his 122 variation, now it's not a combo starter but it can be a tricky special trap since the last hit isn't safe but does push block and can buffer to a special that doesn't link into a combo but still comes out immediately after to anyone that tries to apply pressure after the whiffed 2.

The other part of Sektor's game play is his strong normals. If you can get people to fear your AA game with the flame they will become teleport happy or try to stay on the ground. If they do that you can get a few DEVASTATING combos with his b2, which has a slow start up but causes stagger and can lead to a 50/50 against any button masher. Also his f2 causes tremendous pressure with few things like Cage's slide kick and Reptile's elbow being the only things that can punish it. With a grounded opponent his amazing normals can lead to landing his 12b1 and b3 4 combos with ease since they do cause sektor to step forward in the process of doing these combo starters.

Robotic

Gentleman.
Assuming for the moment that you're just getting the hang of Sektor and 12b1 is just outside your comfort zone, you may want to get used to really easy combo starter starters.

For my money, the easiest, fairly damaging combo to do AND have it land against your competition frequently is b34, TU, f44, TU. Super simple, requires no meter, requires no button+block difficulty for you. Once you get the hang of this, I imagine you'll want to perform more damaging combos. Sektor has has WAY more damaging combos. Come back when you're hungry for more, or visit the many other valuable Sektor threads here. Welcome to the Torch Team, and remember to show NO mercy.

Lyuben

Sinestro's might!
If you are itching for the easiest high damage combo in sektors book try 2,1 teleport uppercut, back 2,1. Can do miles and miles better but this is easy.

spongebob

ಠ__ಠ
You can input jk to TU by just doing jk and df and the negative edge will make the TU come out. Same goes for flame ender thats just b2 then f.

Easy bnb off of 12b1 jk TU jk ex TU b2 flame. If you have trouble getting the ex TU to come out then you can mash block at the same times whilst pressing it but its not hard. You can also do 12b1 f44/3 TU jk ex TU although this is a bit harder and your more likely to drop it online.

If you want something you'll rarely every drop even in lag then f44 ex TU uppercut.

If you are itching for the easiest high damage combo in sektors book try 2,1 teleport uppercut, back 2,1. Can do miles and miles better but this is easy.
The 2 1 string is the best string for people itching to punish the EX TU with a throw. It's short range but is fast enough to beat the throw. Not that great against faster strings but it GUARANTEED to beat a throw attempt.

Sektor is an insanely fun character and you have come to the right place.
One thing i can suggest is whenever possible end your combo with a flamethrower. When it hits it leaves the opponent standing and unable to reverse the pressure with a wake up attack. It one hell of a move.

Few exceptions to that rule but that more advanced. Character match up stuff when you WANT the opponent to do an unsafe wake up *cough* sub zero slide *cough*

Lyuben

Sinestro's might!
Sektor is an insanely fun character and you have come to the right place.
One thing i can suggest is whenever possible end your combo with a flamethrower. When it hits it leaves the opponent standing and unable to reverse the pressure with a wake up attack. It one hell of a move.
It also does more damage I believe than back 2,1 so always do back 2 flamethrower. You can also enhance it for more damage and it is unbreakable... although who would decide to break at the very end of he combo I don't know, maybe they would just earn the meter? Gist is, its better in every way.

ryublaze

Noob
BnB's:
1, 2, B1, F4, 3, TU, B3, 4, EX TU, B2, Flame Burner
B3, 4, TU, Jump Kick, EX TU, B2, Flame Burner
(For Blocked Teleports) F4, 3, TU, Jump Kick, EX TU, B2, Flame Burner

Wall Combos BnB's:
1, 2, B1, Dash Back, B2, 1, 1, 2, 1, 2, 2, Flame Burner (45%)
1, 2, B1, F4, Dash Back, B2, 1, 1, 2, 2, Flame Burner (45%)
1, 2, B1, Jump Kick, EX TU, B2, 1, 1, 2, 2, Flame Burner (51%)

If you want to see more combos, check out my combo video. There are other combo videos on Youtube as well.

You also said you wanted tips?
- Flame Burner is a good anti-air weapon. Use it when your opponent jumps. You can get your opponent to jump by firing Straight Missiles.
- Use Homing Missile to move in and start a combo. The opponent is forced to block the missile so you can set up for a B3, 4, TU, or U3, 4, TU or just throw.
- B1 is a good starting move at the beginning of the match. You can also use it after successfully hitting your opponent with Flame Burner.
- EX Teleport Uppercut is a good wake-up attack (not easily punishable). You can also roll back and use Flame Burner as a wake-up attack.

It also does more damage I believe than back 2,1 so always do back 2 flamethrower. You can also enhance it for more damage and it is unbreakable... although who would decide to break at the very end of he combo I don't know, maybe they would just earn the meter? Gist is, its better in every way.
It is better in every way, but it does the same damage unless you use the enhanced version.

Nice to see you, RedRaptor10. Had a few fun mirror matches with you this week, if you remember.

I've always had trouble with the EXTU as a Wake-Up, at least online. It never seems to register.

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
They only thing I can reccommend from playing with him is watch out for the negitive edge. It seems to be really big problem for him in certain combos. (At least in my opinion.)

spongebob

ಠ__ಠ
It is better in every way, but it does the same damage unless you use the enhanced version.

Nice to see you, RedRaptor10. Had a few fun mirror matches with you this week, if you remember.

I've always had trouble with the EXTU as a Wake-Up, at least online. It never seems to register.
Lol just mash the shit out of it. Thats what I do.

ryublaze

Noob

Nice to see you too! I always have trouble in mirror matches but they are always fun.

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
sektors flamethrower isnt always the best way to end a combo with, the knockdown of other attacks can allow sektor to jump away giving him more distance to do projectiles and if you do an upward rocket instead of the flamethrower they have pressure when they wake up, if they actually do a wakeup attack the rocket lands giving you a full combo.

the ability to not do a wakeup attack via the flamethrower is all well and good but i personally rarely use it because id rather have the pressure and distancing, but thats just me.

Robotic

Gentleman.
It all depends on the character matchup and the opponent's playstyle. Wakeup abusers, flame thrower, OR drop 'em, anticipate the wakeup and punish. Close to a corner? finish with b21 and handle accordingly. Point being, practice both until ur thumb hurts because they are both good situational options.

Side note on situational stuff: I sometimes do stance overhead, TU f2 b1 just to fuck with my competition. Depending on your timing, that combo will finish as normal to launch your opponent away, or it will finish with you on the other side and straight missile right in front of ur feet, OR it will finish with straight missile right BEHIND you - they all hit. The fun part is, the opponent has no clue what is going on and if youre not Kung Lao, you can jump in and continue shenagins, either landing in front of your opponent or cross him up, depending on how you finished the previous combo. Not for everyday stuff, but a cool thing to have in your pocket.

beau

Noob
I'm also noobie Sektor player.I play only in bar with video games and i want improve my skill. My style is offensive so against opponents like Scorpion I had bad time. I read other threads and i must change my style.Other thing which is difficult to me is fight in close range.Can you give me any advice how come closer opponent? I cant do b2,flame at the end of combo.It is difficult to do?Otherwise pads sucks and must be repaired.

Robotic

Gentleman.
I'm also noobie Sektor player.I play only in bar with video games and i want improve my skill. My style is offensive so against opponents like Scorpion I had bad time. I read other threads and i must change my style.Other thing which is difficult to me is fight in close range.Can you give me any advice how come closer opponent? I cant do b2,flame at the end of combo.It is difficult to do?Otherwise pads sucks and must be repaired.
If you have the hardware and capability, seriously consider purchasing the MK9 Living Guide by Tom Brady. It is full of useful information for EVERY character, and a very good point of reference for Sektor in general.

beau

Noob
If you have the hardware and capability, seriously consider purchasing the MK9 Living Guide by Tom Brady. It is full of useful information for EVERY character, and a very good point of reference for Sektor in general.
I dont have cellphone with android. I know his all combos but some are too difficult like b2, flame or 1,2,b1 b2,1 12 122, flame

Mr. Rager

Mr. IhaveacrushonBi-Han
Sektors enhanced upmissle can be godlike. most people use the back3,4 to metal uppercut as a startup

Altaire

Noob
Sektors enhanced upmissle can be godlike. most people use the back3,4 to metal uppercut as a startup
I'm just going to be blunt: Homing missiles are so exploitable. If it's blocked, it does zero chip damage, and so you wasted the meter for nothing. The issue here is that if you do a homing missile, your opponent already knows you're going to try to rush in and capitalize on it. It's really the same problem that Shang Tsung's soul steal has: Your opponent is going to expect you to rush in for the few seconds that it's active, and that tends you towards predictably and overextension. You CAN get a 50/50 mixup if you can time the leg lift such that the followup will hit at the same time as the homing missile, but if you do anything other than a leg lift, they're just going to... Crouch block. I mean, it's not like Sektor has another overhead, so crouch blocking will solve all of your problems. The only way to get guaranteed damage off a homing missile is to throw them during the blockstun, which is almost never worth the meter.

Sektor's meter should generally be going towards his EX telepunch, for several reasons:

1) It's arguably the best wakeup attack in the game. Quick, safe on block, completely invincible (unlike a lot of other "invincible" wakeups) and it grants a full combo punish on hit. Every time you land this, you can follow up with B2 flamethrower for 26% (or B2 1 for 25%). This will really make your opponent respect your wakeup game, and that makes it a lot easier for you to stay out of pressure and keep to zoning distance.

2) It's a solid combo booster. You can use the EX telepunch to boost Sektor's combo damage by roughly 10% (more or less depending on the combo scaling, obviously). The highest damage Sektor can do without the telepunch is 41% damage with a conventional combo (that is, without an up missile to begin the combo). That same combo does 52% with an EX telepunch to continue the combo.

3) It's the only safe way to combo off his overhead. Sektor's only overhead is a 50/50 mixup off his leg lift, and while the low starter is hit confirmable, the overhead (leg lift U4) isn't. You can follow it with a standard telepunch for a longer combo punish, but you'll be running a 50/50 chance of eating a full combo punish every time. The best way to capitalize on this is to use U4 into EX telepunch. You'll still be wasting a meter if it's blocked, but you'll get 27% on hit with a B2 flamethrower followup.

Anyway, for some general Sektor advice:

- B1 is your friend. It has great reach, it's safe on block, it creates enough distance to zone and it basically does uppercut damage. You'll want to poke with this wherever possible, as it's safe pressure with a high payload. You can also get a mixup going with 1 1 B1, by repeating 1 1 and finishing with B1 when you think your opponent will try to get out of the string.

- Zone by alternating up missiles and straight missiles, rather than one or the other. This is someone matchup specific; up missiles are less effective against certain characters, and so you'll just want to throw straight missiles wherever it's safe to do so. The key to zoning with Sektor is to lure your opponent into jumping in through constant missile pressure, then catch them with an anti-air flamethrower. Flamethrower will beat jump in attempts 100% of the time, so don't be afraid to take advantage of it.

- You have a fast uppercut, use it. Sektor has the highest possible uppercut speed in the game, on par with characters like Kung Lao and Nightwolf. This will punish a lot of attacks that cannot be punished otherwise; Cage's flipkick, for instance, can only be punished by a fast uppercut or equally fast special on block. It will also stop certain frame traps and block strings, so you'll want to learn where your uppercut can get you out of trouble.

- 1 2 B1 will punish anything in the game that is even remotely punishable on block, so long as the hitbox covers it. Anything your uppercut won't stop, 1 2 B1 will.

- Don't do naked telepunches off anything but a guaranteed punish. Just... Don't. This is the downfall of most Sektor players, I feel. Every time this is blocked, your opponent gets a full combo punish, and the payoff just isn't worth it. On the other hand, you CAN punish for as much as 34% with no meter and 42% with one bar, so you'll want to know where your guaranteed punish opportunities are in every matchup. You can punish certain projectiles with this, but only if the vulnerability period is wide enough; Reptile's force balls can be easily punished on reaction, for instance, but his acid spit cannot.

- For the love of god, don't watch RedRaptor's combo video, it's terrible. Never, under any circumstances, should you do two EX telepunches in one combo and NEVER end a combo with B1 on an airborne opponent. This is actually negative on hit, so much so that your opponent gets a wakeup option before you can even safely block. A Raiden or Kano player could punish this with a wakeup attack 100% of the time, just to name a couple examples. I hope I've successfully proven why you shouldn't put any stock in this guy's opinions.

ANYWAY, to wind this down, I'll post some BnB information:

- In most of his BnBs, you can follow 1 2 B1 with either a jumpkick or an F4 4, and then a telepunch. After the telepunch, you can then do another jumpkick into EX telepunch, or B3 4 into EX telepunch. Generally, with the way his combos scale, the normal strings do just as much damage as the jumpkicks do (sometimes very slightly more). This allows you to personalize your BnBs somewhat, according to whatever is more comfortable for you. For instance, you could do:

1 2 B1, jumpkick telepunch, jumpkick EX telepunch, B2 flamethrower

Or:

1 2 B1, F4 4 telepunch, B3 4 EX telepunch, B2 flamethrower

Both of these will do 44% damage, IIRC. In weaker, no meter combos, I believe 1 2 B1 into F4 4 does slightly more damage than 1 2 B1 into jumpkick, but it's usually only a difference of one or two percent. Another example of where this applies is his B3 4 combo opener: You can do B3 4 into telepunch, and then either jumpkick into EX telepunch or F4 4 into EX telepunch. Basically, you can usually substitute F4 4 in place of a jumpkick after a launcher, and then B3 4 after telepunch. You CAN technically do F4 4 after a telepunch, but due to its hitbox, B3 4 is much easier to time and connect with; the one exception is if you start off the B3 4 launcher, because it's earlier in the combo, meaning the gravity scaling is lower. Incase you didn't know, your opponent's gravity increases in combos directly proportionate to the damage they take, which is what makes them harder to juggle as the combo drags on, so you have to work aroud that.

What I'm trying to get at here is that you can use this to build your own BnBs according to personal preference, so long as the damage is still respectable. The rule of thumb is basically that F4 4 is easier to land in lower gravity, since it has a higher hitbox, and B3 4 is easier to land in higher gravity, since your opponent will drop quicker. Your followup at the end should always be the same; either B2 1 or B2 flamethrower, depending on whether or not a knockdown is advantageous. I personally find Sektor's inputs to be a pain in the ass, and finding workarounds for it really helped me to get him down. Hopefully, you'll be able to use this to do the same.

Lastly, Sektor's best kept secret, which I only recently discovered:

Jump-in punch B2 telepunch, B2 1, B3 4 EX telepunch, B2 flamethrower - 52%

...No, I'm not fucking with you, it really does 52% for one bar. This is Sektor's answer to Cyrax's 55% BnB, or Cyber Sub's 57% bomb trap. The timing is RIDICULOUSLY anal, so you're going to want to spend some time in practice with this one. I do stress the jump-in punch at the beginning, as B2 telepunch is unsafe and not hit confirmable; you should only be doing this on a guaranteed punish, such as if you jump over a long attack animation.

The trick to this one is doing the B2 1 after telepunch immediately. You NEED to get this out as soon as possible, and done correctly, it should actually look like the first hit whiffs until they fall onto it. If you delay it too long, B2 1 has too much knockback, and the B3 4 won't be able to reach. Once you land the B3 4, it's smooth sailing from there. The beauty of this telepunch followup is that it works off any naked telepunch: If you get a guaranteed punish attempt, you can use this after a normal telepunch for 34%, no meter. Definitely something to work on.

OKAY, I think that's... Just about anything that could ever be said about Sektor, and hopefully, I haven't lost you. Best of luck, and I hope you can use at least a couple of these points to improve your game. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Robotic

Gentleman.
Thanks altaire. i want to add something.

chime in on on this if you want: 214. I love this combo. I dont use it often, but the delay between 1 and 4 can be nice. Main reason is you cancel the second hit into upmissile to make ur opponent shit his pants. Youd be surprised how many opponents KNOW upmissile will hit but can't help themselves due to the surprise of the cancel and try to jump back. Jump in crossover punch lands OFTEN in this situation. At the least, though not a true jail, it will seem so as the opponent is left wondering what is going on and you can jump in and do what you like while they take the chip on the upmissile. Keep in mind not to abuse this and you'll find this satisfying as all hell like I do.

spongebob

ಠ__ಠ
Lastly, Sektor's best kept secret, which I only recently discovered:

Jump-in punch B2 telepunch, B2 1, B3 4 EX telepunch, B2 flamethrower - 52%
Some good points a few points to add. After an ex tu you can land another jk then your standard b2,1/flame follow up.

Regarding his 52% combo his b21 into b34 has been known for a while now and I had a discussion with someone about those combos in this thread: http://testyourmight.com/forum/showthread.php?8515-Why-can-t-you-cancel-into-behind-and-in-front-up-missle First of all obviously to a newbie online player or any online player in general the combo's are worthless. Now even offline I don't think they're practicle I posted how I got it about 7/10 in training mode even getting it 7/10 times means it'd still be better to do his standard bnb's, and in a real match you'd get it even less.

If still yet to see any of the top sektor players use these combo's even though many people have known about them, when it comes to bnb's you want something thats reliable and your unlikely to drop during playing and in any stressful tourny environment. In other words you already get 45% ish with his normal bnb's I wouldn't bother attempting this as it's very easy to drop.