What's new

I miss pre-eSports commentary.

Have we as a community lost something with the death of locals and the rise of "professional" caster

• No

Votes: 20 45.5%
  • Yes

Votes: 15 34.1%
  • We must return to the old ways.

Votes: 9 20.5%

• Total voters

RYX

BIG PUSHER
I watched prolevel games (not just MK, any game) for the first time ever yesterday and I gotta say I might not keep doing it solely because of how obnoxious these casters were

And I'm not watching on mute either

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
Screaming and being loud doesn't make you good commentary, it just makes you a fucking clown.

I will take calm observation and actual honest to goodness commenting on the situation like Ultradavid and going over the actual match over people shouting and yelling any day of the week.
Some are alright, but some are just damn boring. I feel like some commentators don’t add any personality to it.

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
I miss tom brady as commentary and the old 16 bit was much more hype then current one.
I feel the "proffesional" casters these days want to make it hype but u can sense its just fake
1000% this :u. They were always having honest fun, not the fake (or histrionic to say the least) hype from the likes of mr. aqua and company.

wsj515

This is my billionth life cycle.
There's a place for both. I think main tournament commentary has to be more professional, but I really hope we continue to have these regional beef 10v10s along with every main tourney where the players get to commentate and just be loud and ridiculous.

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
Something will always be lost when people have to think carefully before they speak or be extra cautious of what they say on the mic. Professional commentary can be nice, but it will always be a bit more distilled. I think good commentators in general are rare, and commentating is difficult to do properly in any environment.

a really good mix is sajam. I definitely wish I could mute darth arma's mic. you can tell nrs is going full esports when they pulled out josh, player interviews, and top 8 introductions.

Rpgz

Fraudguad/Weeb?
Money matches need commentary too, so why cant we do both? esports aint abt money matches iirc..

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
I think it definitely has a place and can be really hype for something like an exhibition but for something like cb and evo I like having a bit more professionalism.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Yes but commentators get paid now. Not sure how much but I know they get paid. Pre-esports commentary is awesome and hype but they were getting either zero compensation or very little.

That said, idk why with a game like Mortal Kombat everyone tries to be so god damn PC. Like they were even NOT showing fatalities until the crowed boo’d them for it. What the fuck is that shit? It’s Mortal Kombat... the game where people get murdered BEFORE they get murdered. I understand the need for professionalism and all, but I don’t think straight laced commentary is the way to go, at least not full on. Imo it should be a mix of both worlds.

That said, again, they are getting paid now. Unless it’s accepted across the board, no way they would jeopardize making money.

NeonGroovyGator

Vampire mommy simp
I agree that some of the commentary on CB was subpar, but I definitely don't miss shouting competitions during matches either.
Why didn't Sajam cast MK11 anyway?

Ray'sGoodLiquor

I don't care I'm not a competitive player anymore
Yes but commentators get paid now. Not sure how much but I know they get paid. Pre-esports commentary is awesome and hype but they were getting either zero compensation or very little.

That said, idk why with a game like Mortal Kombat everyone tries to be so god damn PC. Like they were even NOT showing fatalities until the crowed boo’d them for it. What the fuck is that shit? It’s Mortal Kombat... the game where people get murdered BEFORE they get murdered. I understand the need for professionalism and all, but I don’t think straight laced commentary is the way to go, at least not full on. Imo it should be a mix of both worlds.

That said, again, they are getting paid now. Unless it’s accepted across the board, no way they would jeopardize making money.
The fact that they wouldn't show fatalities was what really got me. Also, not having a backup for Aquaman when he blew his voice out being a cornball. I don't know where the PC culture came from but it has existed in the community for a while, but now that everyone wants it to go hard e-sports, you're going to be trying to perform in an already hostile environment for "gross offenses." It has to be corporate or nothing at all. Now they have to please sponsors that will freak out if 4-5 people send them a stern email, or god forbid someone writes negative articles on Polygon or Kotaku about how this is all just a perpetuation of insert oppressive group here. It doesn't feel like the players and T/O's are allowed to be part of the broadcasting process anymore, and that was what generated 90% of the excitement and hype. After a while, I turned off NR's stream in favor of Floe just so I could hear a little bit of shit talking.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Here's my honest take:
16 Bit, Brady and Pig knew how to keep things interesting and entertaining, while being informational at the same time.

Mr. Aquaman has trouble building hype because he's ALWAYS yelling. It's not that he's bad at commentary, but if you're yelling nonstop, you can't actually build up to a cresendo because you're just as animated no matter what's happening. Evidenced at Combo Breaker -- he yelled nonstop no matter what was happening in the match, and then lost his voice within 2 matches.

Aside from that. we have an issue lately where the commentators get obsessed with something and forget they're commentating an ongoing match. Like someone will be going on and on about something tangential to the match, like who has the best costumes.. Meanwhile a player in Top 8 makes an amazing read or something pivotal happens and there's absolutely zero said about it on commentary.

Ultradavid imo strikes the right balance of sharing information and getting excited at the right times. But he's a professional and has been doing this forever, so that makes sense.

I think it'd help if guys watched commentators from others games and took notes. It's a tricky balance to get right, and even in esports leagues like OWL and LCS the commentators have cool personalities and don't sacrifice the hype (Montecristo, etc).

Last edited: