What's new

I miss pre-eSports commentary.

Have we as a community lost something with the death of locals and the rise of "professional" caster

• No

Votes: 20 45.5%
  • Yes

Votes: 15 34.1%
  • We must return to the old ways.

Votes: 9 20.5%

• Total voters

LEGI0N47

I like to play bad characters
It seems to me that for several years now that the FGC as a whole has been seeking more recognition to be among the other major genres established in e-sports. So the exposure you don't want is hooting and hollering, cursing and slang, and general unprofessional-ism. The speak has to be more deliberate and distilled for all viewers and that is to include those watching for the first time. I like that term of distilled. Hijacked it from post above since it fits so well. It's the nature of the beast. Can't have it both ways at a Major event. Side tourneys, locals, etc. dif story. I miss the Tom bit days too. I just like them on the mic but times have changed.

I am also going to say some things about the community at large, mainly players, that i'm sure will trigger a few. Some might feel like it's a shot. Don't really care but it's true none the less.

Does anyone think that a major entity beyond twitch (which i'm aware has already happened) wants to broadcast or pick up a sport where many adults look like they just got out of bed and threw on gym shorts or sweats with a ratty t-shirt? I know that's actually the case for many but that's not an excuse. Hell half the kids in most Phys ed classes look more put together than some in the ranks. If i was a sponsor I would 100% enforce a dress code for my players. I wonder if they do since most seem to have on actual pants most of the time.
Then beyond that think about what some say on the mic post fight. Dropping curse words, talking inside jokes with no context so a viewer not in the right cliques whatever would be like wtf, or blurting out stuff like I'm gay. Not taking a shot at sonic or those in that community. But it's been completely obvious the commentators or event organizers where like wtf on many of these occasions. Now think beyond that to nationwide and how they would see it. Would you want that to be your brand? Let that sink in for our community getting more exposure.

LEGI0N47

I like to play bad characters
We also have an issue lately where the commentators get obsessed with one thing, and forget they're commentating an ongoing match. Like someone will be going on and on about something tangential to the match, like who has the best costumes.. Meanwhile a player in Top 8 makes an amazing read and there's absolutely zero said about it on commentary.

I noticed this a lot also. Lot of chit chat about nonsense and great plays weren't even mentioned

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
Screaming and being loud doesn't make you good commentary, it just makes you a fucking clown.

I will take calm observation and actual honest to goodness commenting on the situation like Ultradavid and going over the actual match over people shouting and yelling any day of the week.
You still get the screaming clowns, but instead of it coming from genuine personality it comes from fake ass hype mongers.

Based Aris one of the only commentators I actually get excited for. Especially when he's on Tekken. Knowledge, Passion and Charisma make the best commentators, and so few of them have any of those traits now

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
I would legit start going to shows again just to commentate. I love calling matches. I have been a 100% sucker for real good play-by-play since Joey Styles in the 90's.

If any of you have ever watched CZW from like 2005 when Eric Gargulo and Eddie Kingston were the commentary team, that's pretty much me, somewhere between the two of them.

Like really, I daydream more about calling matches with the Mr. Aquamans and Kitana Primes of the world more than I do making it out of pools.

Someone give me a microphone.
Hashtag Box Dot Com.

you can tell nrs is going full esports when they pulled out josh, player interviews, and top 8 introductions.
Yeah this kills so much of the hype for me. There will be a hype set in top 8 and everyone watching will get riled up, and then they kill it off with 15 minutes of player interviews between every match, where you can tell that that the players don't want to be interviewed or shit talk each other and yet they're being forced to do so. Then they follow that up with these long, WWE style intros, and the crowd is dead silent; it's kind of awkward and the whole thing feels so put-on and fake. Compared to pools, semi-finals, etc, the crowd seemed so dead during Top 8.

All that said, I think Ketchup and Mustard are my favorite commentators at the moment. They do a good job keeping it professional, but they aren't afraid to joke around and be organic.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
you can tell nrs is going full esports when they pulled out josh, player interviews, and top 8 introductions.
that has nothing to do with NRS.. it is the ComboBreaker team that organised all that.

that has nothing to do with NRS.. it is the ComboBreaker team that organised all that.
why would the combo breaker team go so hard in organizing it like that beyond brackets without some probably obvious input from wb/nrs? I'm sure they had a hand in some stuff but I'm sure some people from nrs ran some ideas by them

Jynks

why would the combo breaker team go so hard in organizing it like that beyond brackets without some probably obvious input from wb/nrs? I'm sure they had a hand in some stuff but I'm sure some people from nrs ran some ideas by them
no way. NRS has nothing to do with organising the events in that way.

E

Eldriken

People have already said it but Sajam fits the bill as the perfect mix as well. Dude started in NRS games and loves our scene, has a ton of experience from commentating other games and is both informative and entertaining.
He quickly became one of my favorites. He's a great personality.

OzzFoxx

Hardcore gaming poser.
UltraDavid is the greatest, other than maybe K&M. It’s so sad he got paired w that obnoxious aqua man.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
Love aquaman. Love ultradavid. Love 16bit and slips especially. Love ketchup and mustard. Love KP. The ones I don't like i wont name. And i think theres a bit of rose colored glasses going on here too. Im quite happy with how things have been going.

Jynks

You mean like how Capcom has nothing to do with their sponsored pro tour events right
No.. I mean that NRS has nothing to do with the management of combo Breaker or how they organise the stream. That is why ALL top 8 have the same set up with the introductions for Players and say ceo has the wwf style music intros. NRS has nothing to do with that side of the show.

No.. I mean that NRS has nothing to do with the management of combo Breaker or how they organise the stream. That is why ALL top 8 have the same set up with the introductions for Players and say ceo has the wwf style music intros. NRS has nothing to do with that side of the show.
That wasn't even a combo breaker bred sideshow. They're literally done this before at their own tournaments. They even brought Josh out to introduce the top 8. Ceo does that wrestling stuff because of jebailey

Jynks

That wasn't even a combo breaker bred sideshow. They're literally done this before at their own tournaments. They even brought Josh out to introduce the top 8. Ceo does that wrestling stuff because of jebailey
Exactly they have the wrestling stuff instead as that is how the TOs organised it.

but.. lol.. whatever man, believe what you want and be as stubborn as you like. I've told you how it is.