What's new

Guide - Commando #hugboiz - Commando tactics guide

Updated OP with 32 punishes on reversals that leave opponents airborne.
Good work. Depending on the situation, Rib Breaker might be the better ender to the 32-32- airborne punish. If you are trying to corner your opponent, the side switching could undo your hard work and end up giving your opponent opportunity to escape.

Also, according to @DougDFC's combo thread, max damage in the corner is 40% off of B312-B312-112-dbf4. Personally my go to is the one that you demonstrated, and I can never get the 112 of Doug's combo to connect, but for the sake of accuracy I thought I'd mention it.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
Good work. Depending on the situation, Rib Breaker might be the better ender to the 32-32- airborne punish. If you are trying to corner your opponent, the side switching could undo your hard work and end up giving your opponent opportunity to escape.

Also, according to @DougDFC's combo thread, max damage in the corner is 40% off of B312-B312-112-dbf4. Personally my go to is the one that you demonstrated, and I can never get the 112 of Doug's combo to connect, but for the sake of accuracy I thought I'd mention it.
yeah I just switched it up because I got bored of using the same one. That corner combo is impossible for me to do consistently. I like b132 32 32 rib breaker cause it's easy as fuck.

I haven't actually tried 32-32-Rib Breaker. I've been practicing buffering the d of dbf4 with the 2 of 112. Bad timing does cause Up Ball to come out, but I'm getting better at it.

That said, if I can't land it online after a long enough period I'll switch to 32-32

FlappyDaniel

Snappin' spines all day e'ry day.
You just have to Seperate the down and back motion from the 2 of 112 or else you'll get ball, even with release check off. Seems more prone to happen with input shortcuts on.

http://testyourmight.com/threads/the-absolute-beginners-guide-to-commando-kano.55270/

I've uploaded the first part of my guide. Although this half is aimed at improving a beginners execution with Commando, there are some exercises in there that could benefit more experienced players in honing their hug skillz.

Honestly though, if anybody has
any input please let me know. I want to make it the best, most comprehensive guide I can.

(I'm aware that it's long, very long, but I don't think that's to it's detriment. I wanted to create a guide that, if I got amnesia, would tell me everything I need to learn in order to play MKX again, and get me there in the shortest time possible.

Also, I'm aware that combo damage and some if the frame data needs updating. I'm going to get around to it.)

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
I haven't actually tried 32-32-Rib Breaker. I've been practicing buffering the d of dbf4 with the 2 of 112. Bad timing does cause Up Ball to come out, but I'm getting better at it.

That said, if I can't land it online after a long enough period I'll switch to 32-32
You dropped it when's playing me iirc. Problem is the first 1 and the 2 in 112 have really specific hitboxes so I don't like using them in airborne combos. The 3 in 32 hits really low so even if you're not on point you'll usually get it.

You dropped it when's playing me iirc. Problem is the first 1 and the 2 in 112 have really specific hitboxes so I don't like using them in airborne combos. The 3 in 32 hits really low so even if you're not on point you'll usually get it.
I dropped it twice, possibly 3 times. I have hit it online before. I'm putting it down to underdeveloped muscle memory. I can't hit 10/10 times yet in practice mode. If, when I can, I'm still dropping it I'll switch to 32-32.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
I dropped it twice, possibly 3 times. I have hit it online before. I'm putting it down to underdeveloped muscle memory. I can't hit 10/10 times yet in practice mode. If, when I can, I'm still dropping it I'll switch to 32-32.
I'm sticking to what I get 10/10 times, especially online haha

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
Someone should make a list of all of Kano's whiff issues. Like on who does 11, 2, choke, knives, etc whiff?

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
Not to pat myself on the back but in this set I had some success using choke mixup, so I thought you might want to see it. I made a lot of mistakes as well (I need to learn to hit confirm b13 in to ball) and jumped around like a mofo but other than that you can see him trying to adapt and me trying to counter adapt to the mixup.

It should be added that @Osagri and I usually go very even with him winning slightly more, so this is not an attempt at a blowup.

bdizzle2700

gotta stay sharp!
Not to pat myself on the back but in this set I had some success using choke mixup, so I thought you might want to see it. I made a lot of mistakes as well (I need to learn to hit confirm b13 in to ball) and jumped around like a mofo but other than that you can see him trying to adapt and me trying to counter adapt to the mixup.

It should be added that @Osagri and I usually go very even with him winning slightly more, so this is not an attempt at a blowup.
Why do you do d1? Or you just trying to d1 ticks? And i notice you always do b1, b13 choke. Why not go for a command grab after b1 if hes still blocking. Not as a tick but being like a raw grab.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
Why do you do d1? Or you just trying to d1 ticks? And i notice you always do b1, b13 choke. Why not go for a command grab after b1 if hes still blocking. Not as a tick but being like a raw grab.
I was trying to jail into choke. Or it's a fucked up choke/parry. Yeah I don't know why I always do b1 b13. Need to get rid of that habit.

EDIT: Also I like ending in choke on block for the meter build.

Last edited:

thlityoursloat

kick kick
Too many d1s but not enough d1 ticks. Are you struggling with the execution? I find the easiest input is d1BF4. Youll have to dial it in very fast but it.

thlityoursloat

kick kick
Too many d1s but not enough d1 ticks. Are you struggling with the execution? I find the easiest input is d1BF4. Youll have to dial it in very fast but it beats d1 dbf4 lol.

thlityoursloat

kick kick
I don't like 1 hit ticks cause if they don't block you get full combo punished.
Those are your only ticks though, besides F33. Your opponent blocked lots of d1s. You actually have a pretty large window to confirm into the grab. So do d1, if they block it then quickly input bf4.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
Those are your only ticks though, besides F33. Your opponent blocked lots of d1s. You actually have a pretty large window to confirm into the grab. So do d1, if they block it then quickly input bf4.
That's why I don't tick outside of jik. Risk reward not worth it IMO.

I don't like 1 hit ticks cause if they don't block you get full combo punished.
Not if you learn to option select the throw. The timing is tight, but I can get it down fairly consistently in training mode after walking up to the dummy (I'm yet to get it down out of a dash, run, jump in punch, etc). Two things to practice are D1-Option Select Throw-B13 and D1-Option Select Throw-B31 then you can go into choke, knife, parry, whatever.

As for hit confirming into Kano Ball, you can option select that to come out in hit only too.

P.S. Played around with 32-32 again earlier and it's definitely better. Worth trading the extra 2% for.

I've also worked out that in order to get reversal command grabs to come out from crouch block, you have to quickly let go of down and block before inputting DBF4. I don't know exactly what's going on, but it seems like the block stun interferes with the already held D1 acting as a buffered input. I've tried it with db2 as well, and not letting go of down and block ruins that also. Even if my explanation for what is occurring is wrong, letting go of the buttons before doing the inputs definitely makes getting reversals grabs to come out much more consistent.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
Not if you learn to option select the throw. The timing is tight, but I can get it down fairly consistently in training mode after walking up to the dummy (I'm yet to get it down out of a dash, run, jump in punch, etc). Two things to practice are D1-Option Select Throw-B13 and D1-Option Select Throw-B31 then you can go into choke, knife, parry, whatever.

As for hit confirming into Kano Ball, you can option select that to come out in hit only too.

P.S. Played around with 32-32 again earlier and it's definitely better. Worth trading the extra 2% for.

I've also worked out that in order to get reversal command grabs to come out from crouch block, you have to quickly let go of down and block before inputting DBF4. I don't know exactly what's going on, but it seems like the block stun interferes with the already held D1 acting as a buffered input. I've tried it with db2 as well, and not letting go of down and block ruins that also. Even if my explanation for what is occurring is wrong, letting go of the buttons before doing the inputs definitely makes getting reversals grabs to come out much more consistent.
I don't like OS's. I try to challenge myself with characters like commando Kano to improve my skills as a fighting game player and OS's would do the opposite of that.

I don't like OS's. I try to challenge myself with characters like commando Kano to improve my skills as a fighting game player and OS's would do the opposite of that.
I disagree they that will do the opposite. Using them won't make you worse at fighting games, just look at USF4, but I agree that if you're playing Kano to improve hit confirms and tick throws, then they will not help you.

That said, if you're not going use OS's, I disagree with cancelling into command grabs from pokes at all. You'll probably be better off using the traditional method of ticking by forcing the opponent to block and, upon noticing them block, quickly throwing them. Setting the dummy to block random kombo and attempting to tick it is a good way of practicing, and should be practiced by everyone regardless of if they use OS's or not.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
I disagree they that will do the opposite. Using them won't make you worse at fighting games, just look at USF4, but I agree that if you're playing Kano to improve hit confirms and tick throws, then they will not help you.

That said, if you're not going use OS's, I disagree with cancelling into command grabs from pokes at all. You'll probably be better off using the traditional method of ticking by forcing the opponent to block and, upon noticing them block, quickly throwing them. Setting the dummy to block random kombo and attempting to tick it is a good way of practicing, and should be practiced by everyone regardless of if they use OS's or not.
Yeah I just see no reason to base my game around command grabs when they're so bugged. That's why I focus on choke and parries

Yeah I just see no reason to base my game around command grabs when they're so bugged. That's why I focus on choke and parries
The more I experiment with them, the stronger I find them to be. They do have the advantage over normal throws that they can't be neutral ducked or teched (although I have had them low profiled), they are great wake ups due to being able to chose which side you put the opponent, and they have mix/frame trap potential.

That said, the throw immune moves and strange armour trades are annoying.

Chongo

Dead Kings Rise
I really wanna main Commando, but those pesky inputs keep me from it. I'd much rather play Kotal Kahn in Sun God for command grab oriented characters. He also has great pressure with 114 xx air throw and has 44 % (possibly more - even without sacrifice activated) damage combos for only one bar from anywhere on the screen.

I also find it difficult to end my juggles with Kano's grabs. I really wanna be able to consitently end my corner juggles with 112 into a command grab but I always seem to fuck it up. It's just sad that inputs can ruin a character like that.
Not a kano player, but a general rule of thumb for dbf moves is to input them as db and then f+whatever the button is. Works for me 100% of the time

DFC

Cutthroat Truther
Using 112 as a reference(Which basically means 2 and Choke will apply as well), so far I have:

Jason Blocks
Kung Lao Blocks
Jax "Blocks"*
Sonya Blocks
Kenshii "Blocks"*
Kitana "Blocks"**
Scorpion Whiffs
Sub Zero Whiffs
Mileena Blocks**
Takeda Blocks**
Cassie Whiffs
Jacqui Blocks**
Kung Jin Blocks**
Tanya Blocks*
Predator Blocks
Shinnok Blocks*
Kano Blocks**
Johnny Cage Blocks
Erron Black Blocks*
Liu Kang Blocks*(Second hit was less consistent than others, but not enough to get that second asterisk)
Ermac Blocks
Kotal Kahn Blocks
Reptile Blocks*
Ferra/Torr Blocks
D'Vorah Whiffs
Raiden Blocks*
Quan Chi Blocks*
Goro Blocks
Tremor Blocks

* Indicates first hit (almost) always whiffs
** Indicates first hit always whiffs, second hit sometimes whifs

The first hit whiffs against most of the cast for some silly reason(and against multiple of those "Blocks", I've had at least one instance where all 3 hits whiffed). Something that should be fixed

Last edited: