What's new

Guide - Commando #hugboiz - Commando tactics guide

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
This is not a tutorial or guide per se, I'm just making videos of stuff I find useful in the Commando variation. As I say I'm no top player (I'm an online warrior at best) so this might not all be gold but whatever, it's not like there is an abundance of Commando videos and content. Will update as time goes on

@MrInsaynne
@countrypistol
@SaltShaker
@FlappyDaniel
@Youphemism
@ando1184
@DougDFC

Last edited:

lemmywinks

losing record
I have trouble being an effective hugboy. The motions are a real...burden. Anyone have any pointers on this. I throw out f4 or b4 half the time.

I have trouble being an effective hugboy. The motions are a real...burden. Anyone have any pointers on this. I throw out f4 or b4 half the time.
Practicing moving your thumb in a small circle from down, to back to forward, or start at down/forward if that helps. When you've got that down, practice doing it out of a dash or just after landing a jump. After that, pick Reptile, set him to reversal slide, sweep him, block and practice getting the reversal grab to come out after blocking (This is what I'm working on at the moment because I'm inconsistent during matches).

thlityoursloat

kick kick
I find the easiest way to to do a cmd. grab is to press db like you usually do and then press f and the attack button (4) at the same time.

For grabs I slide from D to B then quickly lift my thumb off the pad and press F4, almost like I am doing two separate sets of inputs. Never slide to F.

FlappyDaniel

Snappin' spines all day e'ry day.
I just grinded it out early and FORCED myself to press them individually without sliding as much as possible, and I'm working backwards from that, making it more lenient as I see fit. Seriously took me like a week and a half to two weeks of just like nothing but that motion to get it though, and I still have little stints where my hand is just retarded and wont do it for some reason lol. It's a really.... Cheeky motion that NRS clearly just has in their game to be different because it's tricky to get wakeup grab sometimes too because I'll accidentally delay wakeup.

I just grinded it out early and FORCED myself to press them individually without sliding as much as possible, and I'm working backwards from that, making it more lenient as I see fit. Seriously took me like a week and a half to two weeks of just like nothing but that motion to get it though, and I still have little stints where my hand is just retarded and wont do it for some reason lol. It's a really.... Cheeky motion that NRS clearly just has in their game to be different because it's tricky to get wakeup grab sometimes too because I'll accidentally delay wakeup.
Accidental delayed wake-ups are a pain in my ass too

CO-KANO

psn: UNFUCxWITABLE_1
Practicing moving your thumb in a small circle from down, to back to forward, or start at down/forward if that helps. When you've got that down, practice doing it out of a dash or just after landing a jump. After that, pick Reptile, set him to reversal slide, sweep him, block and practice getting the reversal grab to come out after blocking (This is what I'm working on at the moment because I'm inconsistent during matches).
you should start a thread on how best to practice with kano. this is excellentt advice

you should start a thread on how best to practice with kano. this is excellentt advice
I'm not the strongest player, just check the general discussion thread for video evidence of that, but I do think I understand how to get good usage out of training mode. I'll be happy to create a thread about practice methods and how to train with Commando, but I think a more valuable approach would be to create an absolute beginners guide, taking somebody from knowing absolutely nothing through to a level where they can focus less on execution and more on strategy.

I'd love for it to be a group effort too, so if anybody had suggestions of methods, tips, tricks, etc, let me know. I can start a private chat for all those interested in collaborating, and we can discuss it there to save forum clutter.

I've already got an Evernote document with a bunch of stuff in it, so a lot of work had already been done.

Thoughts?

llabslb

R1D1_998
I'll just assume the choke whiffs with sub on crouch block as well. Probably would hit the lab later to confirm this. If this is the case I will use it against Kano, real shame Kano is buggy in this sense same with some of Johnnys MIDS whiffing on crouch.

Last edited:
I'll just assume the choke whiffs with sub on crouch block as well. Probably would hit the lab later to confirm this. If this is the case I will use it against, real shame Kano is buggy in this sense same with some of Johnnys MIDS whiffing on crouch.
I will take your being here as a compliment. You must be frightened of Kano if you're here looking for ways to dismantle my terrifying offence...

...I'm fucked.

Last edited:

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
I'll just assume the choke whiffs with sub on crouch block as well. Probably would hit the lab later to confirm this. If this is the case I will use it against, real shame Kano is buggy in this sense same with some of Johnnys MIDS whiffing on crouch.
Yeah fuck mids whiffing. But scorpion being able to crouch block knives due to breathing animation is fucked up

llabslb

R1D1_998
Yeah fuck mids whiffing. But scorpion being able to crouch block knives due to breathing animation is fucked up
Does that apply for all variations of Kano? I've found that the knife throw on cybernetic can be dodged if you D4 on reaction (with most characters). Mileena can actually go for a combo after a D4 as well :/

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
Does that apply for all variations of Kano? I've found that the knife throw on cybernetic can be dodged if you D4 on reaction (with most characters). Mileena can actually go for a combo after a D4 as well :/
not sure. Cyber knives are mid so they should hit everything but MKX logic ¯\_(ツ)_/¯