@SaltShaker
@FlappyDaniel
@CO-KANO
@thlityoursloat
@Youphemism
@DougDFC
@ando1184
@UltraDavid

Ok, I've started work on an Absolute Beginners Guide To Commando. I'm taking a slightly different approach to it, setting it up into stages, starting with what you should learn when you start out and building from there. The whole thing is geared towards building solid training mode habits that will actually benifit you when you play matches.
Can't wait. Also, @ETC AdmiralAugustus

Also, who plays stick, hitbox or xbone pad? Is there ideal button set ups to use?

I play PS4 and swapped the triggers so that the meter burn and stance switch and on the R1 and L1 triggers respectively. Makes EX moves easier.

DFC

Cutthroat Truther
Yeah, I figure that since everyone else is doing things. So I might as well finally record those videos for the combo thread. Gonna post one in the thread and ask what I should do to to improve it, and probably start all over because I'm stupid and deleted all the individual clips

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
I'm not the strongest player, just check the general discussion thread for video evidence of that, but I do think I understand how to get good usage out of training mode. I'll be happy to create a thread about practice methods and how to train with Commando, but I think a more valuable approach would be to create an absolute beginners guide, taking somebody from knowing absolutely nothing through to a level where they can focus less on execution and more on strategy.

I'd love for it to be a group effort too, so if anybody had suggestions of methods, tips, tricks, etc, let me know. I can start a private chat for all those interested in collaborating, and we can discuss it there to save forum clutter.

I've already got an Evernote document with a bunch of stuff in it, so a lot of work had already been done.

Thoughts?

In the spirit of this.. A little execution training, I dunno, stratagem, that I feel like has helped me..

When I'm.bored I'll put on a movie, load up training mode and while watching the movie, spam whatever it is I'm.practicing. be it a combo or.input or whatever. Now, the trick is, I really watch the movie. I don't pay attention to MKX at all, outside the tiniest little piece of my attention. What typically happens is after 20m or so, I end up totally.focused on the.movie and my practicing becomes almost subconscious. I'll.continue through the whole movie. I feel like this has helped me really bury executions deep down.

Also, don't train too much. If you start to go on tilt while training and the combo you were hitting 7/10 turns in to 1/10/, STOP STOP STOP. Step away. Do something else. At that point you are now building incorrect muscle memory.

Know when to stop and relax.

FlappyDaniel

Snappin' spines all day e'ry day.
Can Kano Low profile them?

Serious question btw, I never tried
I haven't tried cyber knives but I do it against the other two I mentioned, He may be able to but midknives are so much faster then the other 2 examples I gave he might not recover from the D4 fast enough

In the spirit of this.. A little execution training, I dunno, stratagem, that I feel like has helped me..

When I'm.bored I'll put on a movie, load up training mode and while watching the movie, spam whatever it is I'm.practicing. be it a combo or.input or whatever. Now, the trick is, I really watch the movie. I don't pay attention to MKX at all, outside the tiniest little piece of my attention. What typically happens is after 20m or so, I end up totally.focused on the.movie and my practicing becomes almost subconscious. I'll.continue through the whole movie. I feel like this has helped me really bury executions deep down.

Also, don't train too much. If you start to go on tilt while training and the combo you were hitting 7/10 turns in to 1/10/, STOP STOP STOP. Step away. Do something else. At that point you are now building incorrect muscle memory.

Know when to stop and relax.
Thanks. I'll save this and add it to the guide, crediting you as the source.

That goes for any other contributor too. I'll credit everybody for their contributions.

Right, the first draft of the first three sections of the guide (introduction, Becoming familiar with the character and Beginner Combos) are done.

Remaining are (in order)

Anti-airs, spacing and wake ups

Tick throws and option selects

Frame traps

Whiff punishing and Max Damage combos

Parrying, Match up Knowledge

Watching match replays and developing an ongoing improvement plan

Technical inconsistencies

If anybody has any suggestions on what to include, or advice for the guide, let me know.

Last edited:

DrFolmer

AKA Uncle Kano
I really wanna main Commando, but those pesky inputs keep me from it. I'd much rather play Kotal Kahn in Sun God for command grab oriented characters. He also has great pressure with 114 xx air throw and has 44 % (possibly more - even without sacrifice activated) damage combos for only one bar from anywhere on the screen.

I also find it difficult to end my juggles with Kano's grabs. I really wanna be able to consitently end my corner juggles with 112 into a command grab but I always seem to fuck it up. It's just sad that inputs can ruin a character like that.

thlityoursloat

kick kick
That's how inputs were in injustice. The input for his grab is the least of his problems.
If only this game had a Bane... And no, ferra crap pain and crap doesn't count.

DFC

Cutthroat Truther
Feel free to pull whatever you need from the parry guide and let me know if you find anymore that I can update!
Speaking of.. a D'Vorah player I know told me there's absolutely a string with a gap in it. I just don't remember which string he told me.

FlappyDaniel

Snappin' spines all day e'ry day.
Probably the 3 hit shoulder charge thing. That's one of Dvorah's main pressure tools is staggering that string.

Zatoichi

Fabulous Goofball
*Wasn't Tagged*

.... Okay then.

All I can really say about Commando is that match-up knowledge is key with this variation. You have to know the gaps in strings, and pressure loops for his parry. Know what the opponent's wake-up options are and if you can parry them. Condition them to not wake up with parries so you can go for tick throws, naked throws, or b312 combo in the corner for 36% meterless damage.