What's new

Question - Tempest How would you nerf Tempest?

GreatKungLao

LiuTana
It's slow as fuck make a read & meet him air to air
I guess you never saw Liu Kang's jump in attacks or standing AAs that are as short as T-Rexes hands and all of it is beaten from across half the screen. Even the 7 frames uppercut. Instant Air Fire Ball is kind of an only option, but not guaranteed.

haketh

Noob
I guess you never saw Liu Kang's jump in attacks or standing AAs that are as short as T-Rexes hands and all of it is beaten from across half the screen. Even the 7 frames uppercut. Instant Air Fire Ball is kind of an only option, but not guaranteed.
Okay and? That's an aspect of the MU and you won't always have the perfect options in a MU. Man I play Goro, he struggles against J. 2 at ranges closer than F3. Lui has a decent run right? If he's doing it from close ranges run under & trip huard, if he's doing it from farther out walk back out of it's range & do the same.

WiseM0nkey

welcome to the ButtSlam
all downplaying aside lao has been changed a good amount throughout patches and is relatively fair at the moment (albeit extremely solid mu number/tool wise), I really think people should get over him being this insanely broke char that can't be beaten. I agree for the most part with what king said, but with all the ex hat nerf rumors going around I actually think it would've been a better idea to keep his ex hat around +9-10.

I don't understand why people can't seem to grasp the concept that there will for the most part always be top tier characters in a fighting game and if you were forced to have a top 5 would you rather it be full of quans or more honest characters like lao?
there's not much difference between +12 or +10 actually... you'd still only have a guaranteed d4, difference being you'd need to be just frame to jail at +10, just like you need to be now with f2 at +12

WiseM0nkey

welcome to the ButtSlam
his jip2 is only effective at max range, other than that it gets beaten buy a relatively faster jip1

Wetdoba

All too easy...
Normalize J2 and then make EX spin suck people in on block rather than push them back. Im lucky Torr has long arms so I can punish it with B1 consistantly but thats something everyone should be able to do. After that Lao is fine

zoofs

bless
there's not much difference between +12 or +10 actually... you'd still only have a guaranteed d4, difference being you'd need to be just frame to jail at +10, just like you need to be now with f2 at +12
thats the point, remove the f2 option even though it barely adds much

d4 at least adds a mind game and leaves a way to open people up after a d4 on hit, making it supposedly +7 like its going to be leaves him with the same idea as erron which is basically just block and bait armor or commit to pressure

WiseM0nkey

welcome to the ButtSlam
thats the point, remove the f2 option even though it barely adds much

d4 at least adds a mind game and leaves a way to open people up after a d4 on hit, making it supposedly +7 like its going to be leaves him with the same idea as erron which is basically just block and bait armor or commit to pressure
without a 50/50. actually, #TuffBempest tho :DOGE

BigMacMcLovin

B2s and Birdarangs
Nerf J2's hitbox. It's ridiculous the amount of range he gets with that. Other then that I think he's fairly levelled out.

Just nerf the sheet out of Tanya and we're good.

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
Make his EX Hat Spin's blockstun the same as his base version.
One spin per combo. ONE.

...and that's that.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
No nerfs for Tempest. He's the best right now, but he's not OP - so leave him be.

As a matter of fact, lets buff Hat Trick a little. PL's Hat Trick was insane and now I'm intrigued and wanna see more...

x-azeez

Bullet with your name on it
All you need to do is nerf his J2 and he's fine. Maybe make his EX hat a little less plus. Everything else he has is fair honestly
i agree. your exhibition match with Foxy Grampa showed how ridiculous his JI2 & EX orbiting hat was.

I hope the KING to return one day. Best of luck bro

Groove Heaven

Jobber-baron
I don't understand why people can't seem to grasp the concept that there will for the most part always be top tier characters in a fighting game and if you were forced to have a top 5 would you rather it be full of quans or more honest characters like lao?
I wasn't really saying he needs huge nerfs just by the virtue of being top tier, moreso that if he was nerfed (since top tiers are the ones who seem to receive that) what NRS could do that wouldn't have too big of an impact or change his gameplan. I agree with that last bit though.

I feel you guys, though, thanks for the insightful replies and discussion. If anything I would still say it wouldn't be crazy to nerf j2, but that's just me lol

SylverRye

Official Loop Kang Main
Only "nerfs" he needs imo are to his ji2 (its ridiculous and really needs no explanation why) and make db1 hat spin more negative so laos will actually use it strategically and not just toss it out and yolo run at you.

Besides that hes fine imo, the perfect example of a character who has near perfect tools but is not totally broken. Sick of the character, but out of all the top tiers hes the most balanced imo. Just has the fucking kitchen sick and then some as tools lol

dennycascade

UPR_ghastem
Hat spin -6 instead of -3
Normalized j2
Less hit advantage on throw so he can't get meaty armor break in the corner
Less pushback on EX tornado

That's really all he needs changed. Would still be S tier