What's new

How to stop jump over crossups?

When I play against someone that is good with the jump over crossups, I just get crushed. How do you stop someone that keeps jumping over you with punch trying to start combos. Jump over, punch, punch, punch, jump over, punch, punch...etc.

Can you uppercut it? Should you start jumping right when they jump?
Also, it makes it tough because sometimes after the jump they will only punch once and then go into a grab.

Advice?

Thanks.

One trick is to use a crouching normal that modifies/lowers your hittable box. D1, D3 or D4 can sometimes work. Very character specific though.

Or you can use a quick gtfo special if you have one. (reptile's elbow dash, slide, teleport, roll etc.)

Sometimes I try to dash under or backdash. Kinda works but it's still risky.

Also, remember they need to delay their jump punch for it to hit you. So sometimes you can try to instant jump kick earlier. That works but you should only use it sparingly.

Thanks for the input, I know it seems like a stupid question and you should just be able to block it like Konqrr says, but sometimes it is tricky and it feels like you can't just block it.

I just need to work on it.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Unless you have a really fast normal that has a big hitbox like Kitana's standing 2, and you try to hit them out of their crossup jp, you will eat a combo every time.

Like Hades said, it's very character specific but you can do a d+3 to lower your hitbox. Just don't try it against Kitana because her jp sucks and she will be using jk xx air fan anyways lol

Raiden can do an ex shock grab, Shang can do an ex soul steal... etc... basically use a move that has armor to absorb their attack and get them. Kano/Jax Xrays if you read the crossup in time.

You can also see it coming and dash back and block so you will not be right next to them and creat at least a little bit of space so if they try to jump again you can punish them.

It's ALL about making a read on what their habits are and what they are trying to do. Once you can do this, you can get out of any pressure situation. It's wierd, I can do this with MK9, but not in any other game XD

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
For certain characters, you can go UMK3 style and uppercut. You can't be blocking though and you have to be quick, takes good reaction speed.

also if you are using Kung Lao or Baraka their spins destroy jump ins!
The problem is, once they are on you punching and they try to jump over you to the other side, you can't pull of the Kung Lao spin....there isn't enough time and/or if you do try it, there punch will hit you before you can get it to start.

Im the opposite, i CANT get into mk9 yet lol...
Hey I didn't know you were a mod on this site Hanzo. We used to play lots of GGs on UMK DS a few years ago.

I remember I pulled a babality on your Kabal with my Nightwolf once. I was so proud of that moment. :p

Im pretty noob but serious about getting better, too, so take this fwiw. But I find recognizing patterns is 90% of winning, especially online. learning a counter attack which relies on strict timings just can't help you much (since lag differs from moment to moment). Sounds like you recognize the pattern, so you're most of the way there.

VRbrada

Noob
if you play noob saibot the only think you do is your charge shadow!when he finishe his combo and you hvae block it all you are doing your shadow charge and if he is faster than you and jump your shadow charge becomes shadow upkick by himself because you put the inputs already !so gg for all the jumping rabbits out there!

fleshmasher

i got the poison
if you play noob saibot the only think you do is your charge shadow!when he finishe his combo and you hvae block it all you are doing your shadow charge and if he is faster than you and jump your shadow charge becomes shadow upkick by himself because you put the inputs already !so gg for all the jumping rabbits out there!
Love when that happens and :d:r:fk turns into :d:l:fk because of crossover :D
With Smoke it's a bit hard, air grab helps though.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Yep, I've also noticed while it's hardly used a straight up kick can work too if you're Scorp or Ermac and fast enough you can also combo from it while you snuff them out of the air.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Don't njp's normally beat cross-ups?
They normally do, but in this new game the bounce (or a straight upwards jump followed by one or two) was nerfed quite a bit since the MKDC days. It's much harder to use the bounce very quickly after jumping, so it's not always the best tactic...then again, neither is standing there and blocking.

To address BehindTheLight - if I were you, I'd just jump whenever they did. Yes, you will risk eating damage by doing this, but at least it won't be a combo (with the exception of some specific characters, like Scorpion for example). If you're quick enough, you can jump, kick, or air throw as soon as you jump and you can knock them away and save yourself. But if you eat a jump-punch or kick while in the air, then it will not lead to a combo or lockdown most of the time. Again, this all depends on which character you are fighting against.

I'm with you, by the way....I struggle against cross-ups too. But by now I have the knowledge on how to handle them, I just need to learn to implement it by instinct.

MKK hanzo

Hey I didn't know you were a mod on this site Hanzo. We used to play lots of GGs on UMK DS a few years ago.

I remember I pulled a babality on your Kabal with my Nightwolf once. I was so proud of that moment. :p
hey Vulcan sup? Sorry I didnt reply earlier. haha yes good times on umk ds. Im a shadow mod but only on the spanish speaking section!