What's new

Video/Tutorial How to punish Bane (up to 69% damage)

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
I dunno, the idea of "hold the MB b.3 to punish" looks nice on paper, but why would I wake-up at all if you're just going to sit in my face with a Mb b.3 on hold? Against Catwoman we have to be careful because of the cross-dash thing so I feel like Mb f.3 would be the better option since its double hit, has a lot more active frames, and hits overhead meaning if Bane is sitting there blocking low to avoid the dash set-up he gets opened up, where as if you did the Mb b.3 he would end up blocking it regardless.

Just my thoughts on it.

The idea is you're only MB the b+3 if you see him do wake up command grab. Otherwise you're not using meter, you're staying safe, and you have a chance to blow him up. Cross up MB Cat Dash mixed up with f+3 is good and what I do often but it's risky.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
The idea is you're only MB the b+3 if you see him do wake up command grab. Otherwise you're not using meter, you're staying safe, and you have a chance to blow him up. Cross up MB Cat Dash mixed up with f+3 is good and what I do often but it's risky.
If you're holding the b.3, whats stopping me from backdashing and getting out of the pressure free anyways? Or jumping to punish? I mean I tested it and if you're just sitting there I mean you'd have to have some fast reactions to stop us from just hopping over because of how low to the ground you are and how long we stay airborn. I'm not a catwoman player, of course, so I don't take my own results too seriously because I tend to mistime things but just mb b.3 seems really unreliable as a whole.

Just doesn't seem as good as the catdash/f.3 because at least then I have to worry about you checking me with catdash for trying to dash back or jump (the upwards hitbox is pretty insane) and the f.3 on most everything else.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
If you're holding the Mb b.3, whats stopping me from backdashing and getting out of the pressure free anyways? Or jumping to punish? I mean I tested it and if you're just sitting there I mean you'd have to have some fast reactions to stop us from just hopping over because of how low to the ground you are and how long we stay airborn. I'm not a catwoman player, of course, so I don't take my own results too seriously because I tend to mistime things but just mb b.3 seems really unreliable as a whole.

If you stop doing wake up attacks and start back dashing or jumping then she starts pressuring on wake up again. She dashes up and does f+1 or b+1. She's done her job conditioning you to not wake up, mission accomplished. No one said it's the end of the metagame.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
If you stop doing wake up attacks and start back dashing or jumping then she starts pressuring on wake up again. She dashes up and does f+1 or b+1. She's done her job conditioning you to not wake up, mission accomplished. No one said it's the end of the metagame.
Well true, but you also have to consider we always have the option to just Mb b.3 you back. If you are just holding it raw, then we can do the same on wake-up and just abuse the "you have to do something by this time" factor that comes with holding. If you're too close, nothing you do barring MB f.3 will stop it because of its reach going to the peak of your backdash. Not saying we always have to wake-up, but even if you condition us to not wake-up, you only do so when its obvious what you are doing. The problem is theres no actual subtle approach with this idea, if we see you holding the b.3 we just react accordingly, and do our usual schtick otherwise.

Maybe theres something I'm missing. Like looking at it, it just seems like a very sub-par set-up when theres better options available. I'd be more afraid of peaked SS pressure using j.2 than this, really.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
This would be a lot easier to understand if there were a video of it, because I seriously feel like I'm doing something wrong on it and completely missing the point.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
GGA 16 Bit
Against MB VU, instead of dashing, why not just do high evade? It makes the kick miss and you get a full combo punish off of it. I just tested it, and even with me not being big on catwoman the timing was easy to do even on block.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
She is not charging a MB b+3. She holds a regular b+3. She only needs to use MB to blow up wake up grab.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
I know, I keep calling it MB b.3 by accident. Point being is we also have the option of MB b.3'ing you for holding it.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Theres also that if we aren't traited, regular forward whip beats all of our wake-ups clean except for VU which is a bit trickier to time. After 122 that is, and if you time it properly it SS them so they can't dash away without getting clipped. Good for a Bane on withdrawl since we depend on our normally great wake-ups to get us out of pressure what all it can.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
If you wait to see that she's holding a b+3 then you've missed the window to do an invincible wakeup. You cannot wait to see if she's going to pressure and wait for her to hold a b+3 and then decide what to do. All these other options eliminate the option to do a wake up attack which is the point.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
If you wait to see that she's holding a b+3 then you've missed the window to do an invincible wakeup. You cannot wait to see if she's going to pressure and wait for her to hold a b+3 and then decide what to do. All these other options eliminate the option to do a wake up attack which is the point.
Our wake-ups aren't invincible anyways, though. At least not to a point where this would be necessary. Also, all of this is still fully possible using Mb f.3. The thing I'm concerned about is yeah you can hold the b.3 and MB it, but then you have the 16 frame DP which, if you delay long enough to feasibly catch a BP, you either will miss the very small punish window or get hit out before your armor takes place. To react to that would be like reacting to KF slide from that range, and with the window we have to input our wake-ups (either later or earlier) and having the option to Mb b.3 it upon standing anyways or block, or backdash... I just don't know.

Ra Helios

Omnipotent God-like Selina Kyle Player
I dunno, the idea of "hold the MB b.3 to punish" looks nice on paper, but why would I wake-up at all if you're just going to sit in my face with a Mb b.3 on hold? Against Catwoman we have to be careful because of the cross-dash thing so I feel like Mb f.3 would be the better option since its double hit, has a lot more active frames, and hits overhead meaning if Bane is sitting there blocking low to avoid the dash set-up he gets opened up, where as if you did the Mb b.3 he would end up blocking it regardless.

Just my thoughts on it.
The only time you meter burn b3 is if you sense Bain doing a Body press wake up. Once he hit you. Mb back3.You can punish him. I tested this. So on paper and during play it is good. Venom uppercut and double punch can be dodge and punish and Dont use mb. Only the body press is use for mb

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Our wake-ups aren't invincible anyways, though. At least not to a point where this would be necessary. Also, all of this is still fully possible using Mb f.3. The thing I'm concerned about is yeah you can hold the b.3 and MB it, but then you have the 16 frame DP which, if you delay long enough to feasibly catch a BP, you either will miss the very small punish window or get hit out before your armor takes place. To react to that would be like reacting to KF slide from that range, and with the window we have to input our wake-ups (either later or earlier) and having the option to Mb b.3 it upon standing anyways or block, or backdash... I just don't know.

Double Punch doesn't hit her when she's in b+3.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Also i don't know what you mean by using Feline Evade on venom uppercut. If you mean evading the first part then the drop kick still comes out and she has to block it or move out of the way. If you mean evading just the second part then what's the full combo punish?

Ra Helios

I like this concept. It'd be nice if you could get a straight punish on wakeup venom since that's his go to wakeup but his is better than just backing up and letting him up if I'm not sure.
Venom double punch wake up can be punish. You just have to time it right.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Also i don't know what you mean by using Feline Evade on venom uppercut. If you mean evading the first part then the drop kick still comes out and she has to block it or move out of the way. If you mean evading just the second part then what's the full combo punish?
If you evade the uppercut soon enough, you can actually evade both parts. Otherwise you can just evade the dropkick on block or whiff. As for the full combo punish, I don't actually know any catwoman combos so...
The most damaging one I can do comfortably is like... 33xxEX cat dash b.3 j.2 33xxforward whip for like 36%

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
I dunno, I'm in practice right now trying to do 122 into b.3 and DP keeps hitting me. Am I doing it too late?

I guess. I can get it to make the Double Punch whiff.

Regardless, I am not too concerned with DP. I just want a safe way to chill and deal with/possibly blow up wake up uppercut/grab if I do not feel like committing to Mb cat dash.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
If you evade the uppercut soon enough, you can actually evade both parts. Otherwise you can just evade the dropkick on block or whiff. As for the full combo punish, I don't actually know any catwoman combos so...
The most damaging one I can do comfortably is like... 33xxEX cat dash b.3 j.2 33xxforward whip for like 36%

If Catwoman evades the drop kick she can't cancel the evade into a normal and punish. She can only cancel her evade into a trait. So she has to evade and then finish the recovery before she can do a move. Bane can block the 3,3 after he evades her drop kick.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
If Catwoman evades the drop kick she can't cancel the evade into a normal and punish. She can only cancel her evade into a trait. So she has to evade and then finish the recovery before she can do a move. Bane can block the 3,3 after he evades her drop kick.
Try doing it right as the peak of his VU, where most Banes will MB it to make it safe.
I'm having no trouble doing it right now, personally.

Worst come to, Bane is still punishable as he is standing so you can manage a standing 1 on him before he can block again if you'd wait like half a second or so after evading.

Ra Helios

I dunno, I'm in practice right now trying to do 122 into b.3 and DP keeps hitting me. Am I doing it too late?
Well then I guess I have to make a video to show it because on paper Bain player do not understand how this works.

Ra Helios

I guess. I can get it to make the Double Punch whiff.

Regardless, I am not too concerned with DP. I just want a safe way to chill and deal with/possibly blow up wake up uppercut/grab if I do not feel like committing to Mb cat dash.
Also I didn't know this. But now I do. When bain uppercut miss when catwoman do her b3 cancel she can punish Bain uppercut. Instead of you doing a 50/50 mix up with catwoman. Especially when Bain do his meter burn uppercut. Very punishable for catwoman.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Try doing it right as the peak of his VU, where most Banes will MB it to make it safe.
I'm having no trouble doing it right now, personally.

Worst come to, Bane is still punishable as he is standing so you can manage a standing 1 on him before he can block again if you'd wait like half a second or so after evading.

Either you're not having Bane block or I have the worst timing ever because I can not get a 3,3 to hit. I can barely get a d+1 or 1 to hit. Why wouldn't I just dash out and punish?