What's new

Guide How To Pressure

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Now that I'm playing some better players, I'm really struggling. I feel like the only option is specials + venom armor which are getting blocked. I feel like a one trick pony that is easily figured out if I play someone more than once or twice. I don't feel like I have any way of attacking. If I try one of the strings, I get smacked in the face. This is even worse against opponents that have wake ups that can't be stuffed like Flash or Batman.

I guess I've hit a wall for now. Maybe I need to play another character for a while and come back after I've learned a bit more about the game and the other characters in general.
You are thinking of the way of "get in, get in, get in" when you should be thinking "get in, stay in." You don't need to get fancy, using your d.1 and venom double punch will usually suffice being both are safe on block. Once you get further up, try cancelling one into the other and mixing in your f.2d and command grab in there. He has tons of potential but people just aren't playing him properly imo. Wrong mindset and whatnot.

You are thinking of the way of "get in, get in, get in" when you should be thinking "get in, stay in." You don't need to get fancy, using your d.2 and venom double punch will usually suffice being both are safe on block. Once you get further up, try cancelling one into the other and mixing in your f.2d and command grab in there. He has tons of potential but people just aren't playing him properly imo. Wrong mindset and whatnot.
When you say safe on block, what does that mean? Does that mean they block and you block as a response? I understand the frame part of it. They are safe to do what exactly is what I'm asking. I feel like I'm getting blown up when people block, but maybe it's because I'm trying to continue attacking. I can't remember.

Should I only be using one attack at a time and hit confirming strings? Like b1 and if it hits then 12 or b2 and if it hits then 3 instead of b112 or b23 together? If they are blocked I should be blocking? I guess I'm trying to attack attack attack when I should be attacking and then going defensive to try and respond after that?

Yes, major newb questions here, but yea, I'm a newb.

Also, does anyone have match footage of theirs that isn't against noobies? I am getting rocked online by basically everyone except deathstroke....

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
When you say safe on block, what does that mean? Does that mean they block and you block as a response? I understand the frame part of it. They are safe to do what exactly is what I'm asking. I feel like I'm getting blown up when people block, but maybe it's because I'm trying to continue attacking. I can't remember.

Should I only be using one attack at a time and hit confirming strings? Like b1 and if it hits then 12 or b2 and if it hits then 3? If they are blocked I should be blocking?

Yes, major newb questions here, but yea, I'm a newb.
Safe on block means if you throw it out, the worst that can happen is they block and you don't take any rebuttal. If they block and try to punish you for it, you can usually guard or toss a move in the meantime. If they are blocking, its usually going to get you blown up if you use strings that aren't safe. Ending your strings off with venom charge or double punch will usually keep you safe as, on block, both of them give you the time you need to get back into defense.

As bane, you should be focusing on getting them on the ground and then mixing them up on wake-up. Observe their habits and work your Yomi, that is your "lead" game, to eliminate options and have them play into obvious traps. Its really hard to connect strings if you delay them, so stick to safe on block options like f.2d into b.f.2 for a double overhead, d.23 is to my knowledge safe on block as well and starts low, if it hits you get a free 123 d.b.f.3 for about 30% without venom.

As far as blocking after being blocked, thats dependant on the opponent. Against people like grundy, raven, and GL you can honestly just venom up and armor through their responses with a well-placed close-range double punch. Against people like Nightwing, KF, and Ares you'd be better off blocking the obvious responses (flip-kick, slide, etc). Just be mindful of the opponent's options and it should be an easy judgement.

@Gangsta
Honestly, against grundy you'll want to be mindful that your armor can cancel out his armor. Keep venom pumping and keep him honest with double punch and venom upper. If he tries to run, don't be afraid to charge after him since barring full-screen he doesn't have the best answers for it. Worst come to, and this grundy is intent on staying away, just be patient. Make a read on the swamp hands and its a free charge punish from anywhere.

Safe on block means if you throw it out, the worst that can happen is they block and you don't take any rebuttal. If they block and try to punish you for it, you can usually guard or toss a move in the meantime. If they are blocking, its usually going to get you blown up if you use strings that aren't safe. Ending your strings off with venom charge or double punch will usually keep you safe as, on block, both of them give you the time you need to get back into defense.

As bane, you should be focusing on getting them on the ground and then mixing them up on wake-up. Observe their habits and work your Yomi, that is your "lead" game, to eliminate options and have them play into obvious traps. Its really hard to connect strings if you delay them, so stick to safe on block options like f.2d into b.f.2 for a double overhead, d.23 is to my knowledge safe on block as well and starts low, if it hits you get a free 123 d.b.f.3 for about 30% without venom.

As far as blocking after being blocked, thats dependant on the opponent. Against people like grundy, raven, and GL you can honestly just venom up and armor through their responses with a well-placed close-range double punch. Against people like Nightwing, KF, and Ares you'd be better off blocking the obvious responses (flip-kick, slide, etc). Just be mindful of the opponent's options and it should be an easy judgement.

@Gangsta
Honestly, against grundy you'll want to be mindful that your armor can cancel out his armor. Keep venom pumping and keep him honest with double punch and venom upper. If he tries to run, don't be afraid to charge after him since barring full-screen he doesn't have the best answers for it. Worst come to, and this grundy is intent on staying away, just be patient. Make a read on the swamp hands and its a free charge punish from anywhere.
Yea, I've got the get them down keep them down game going pretty good. I honestly completely destroy a lot of people. Some people never get back up through an entire life bar. All while I still miss inputs for command grabs and such sometimes. I guess I just need to practice and get better to beat the better players.

I can say this, even being a newb - If the character doesn't have a wakeup that can't be stuffed, they are in trouble against Bane.

Offtopic - is there anyway to record a match on Xbox 360 and transfer it to your PC through LAN?

Another thing I'm worried about is venom debuff. Right now, I'm putting on so much pressure and doing so much damage with venom stages 1-3 that people are letting me back off when I'm in debuff mode. Without the armor from it, I feel like I'm going to get rocked when people start realizing they need to be going hard while it's on cooldown.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Another thing I'm worried about is venom debuff. Right now, I'm putting on so much pressure and doing so much damage with venom stages 1-3 that people are letting me back off when I'm in debuff mode. Without the armor from it, I feel like I'm going to get rocked when people start realizing they need to be going hard while it's on cooldown.
Honestly you shouldn't usually be without venom. I don't reccomend going above 1 for the most part. Level 3 should be reserved for the second bar of life since you can clash and clear off most of the time off of it. Level 2 is able to be stalled through if you land that mix-up.

Eminent

Forum Lurker
People don't look at your venom meter as much as they should. I feel like it kinda gives away what you're about to do...

But I'm just realizing that after d1 if it hits (+17) you can pretty much always follow up with a b23 except at max(ish) range. If they block the d1 (+3) you can still go into your standing 1 (9 frames). Unless they have a 6 frame attack or armor, you can keep going with 113. Then mix it up between a DP or d1 which starts it all over again... Then if DP lands you can armor up and abuse DP or BodyPress on their wakeup.

I now understand how Bane can be really dirty.

Honestly you shouldn't usually be without venom. I don't reccomend going above 1 for the most part. Level 3 should be reserved for the second bar of life since you can clash and clear off most of the time off of it. Level 2 is able to be stalled through if you land that mix-up.
Is there 1 clash per life bar?

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
People don't look at your venom meter as much as they should. I feel like it kinda gives away what you're about to do...

But I'm just realizing that after d1 if it hits (+17) you can pretty much always follow up with a b23 except at max(ish) range. If they block the d1 (+3) you can still go into your standing 1 (9 frames). Unless they have a 6 frame attack or armor, you can keep going with 113. Then mix it up between a DP or d1 which starts it all over again... Then if DP lands you can armor up and abuse DP or BodyPress on their wakeup.

I now understand how Bane can be really dirty.
That would work if not for the punishment you'd recieve. Standing 1 misses on crouch, meaning if they blocked the D1 your 1 is going to miss outright. You'd be better off going for 22 since it hits mid and isn't that much slower.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Is there 1 clash per life bar?
Yep. You have to be on your 2nd bar, but you can clash at any point to reset your cooldowns. Its only 1 time though, so you have to get used to the idea of working around that one shot. If you do it right, you can rushdown with level 3 venom, clash out, and end the match with a 2nd dose. But thats risky, and honestly you should only use it as a very very last resort. You'd be better off going down the 1 2 3 chain and using it to start over again.

IDYLEHANDZ

Slave to burgers
RYX awesome post, didn't get all the way through it, but despite my doomsday main I really wanna give Bane some love. Good info, Good post!

Reactions: RYX

Adam Todd

Ana-R-chY
Yep. You have to be on your 2nd bar, but you can clash at any point to reset your cooldowns. Its only 1 time though, so you have to get used to the idea of working around that one shot. If you do it right, you can rushdown with level 3 venom, clash out, and end the match with a 2nd dose. But thats risky, and honestly you should only use it as a very very last resort. You'd be better off going down the 1 2 3 chain and using it to start over again.
This is gonna sound scrubish but how exactly do you initiate a clash? It's Forward MB button when getting combo'd?

Limelights

"The smart stuff"
Love the guide so far, great job. I can't seem to cancel d1 into command grab though...what am I doing wrong?

Limelights

"The smart stuff"
Hmm, that's not it. It doesn't work when I DO buffer it. If I wait a while to put in the dbf3 it doesn't chain together and the grab works. Double grab works fine after a d1, however.

The grab comes out after the d1 and just whiffs. If I wait a little to input the grab it works though.

chief713

Vertebral Subluxationist
It's because you're trying to grab them while they're still in hit/block stun. The goal is to try and input the command grab so that it becomes active the moment they recover. And as you've already figured out, delaying the grab input just a bit gets that done.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
Okay, I see. So what options does the opponent have? Either beat it out with a move or jump?
Depends on the stun really. D.1 has enough that immediately buffering causes to whiff so with a delayed they can escape. B.11 and standing 1 do not have these issues.