What's new

Guide How To Pressure

RYX

BIG PUSHER
I figure this is important to get down now before I forget. This is the first part of my guide to using Bane, consisting of his biggest frame advantages and some frame traps.

Bane is amazing when he gets in. I would say he's close to unmatched up close when in the right hands. He's got some vicious tools, and the frame data to back it up.

~

You'll find d.1 to be a huge part of his pressure. It's 11 frames which is a bit slow for a poke, but it makes up for it with incredible reach. Hitting low, it's +3 on block, and +17 on hit! D.1 links into Double punch for a low overhead mixup that leaves you at only -4. Making them respect the mix up opens up your options.

B.1 is an equally useful tool. At +12 on block, it gives you some nasty frame traps to lock people down. It's a bit slow at 17 frames of start up. A blocked b.1 gives you a free d.1 for mix-ups and a just frame standing 2 that hits mid, catching people trying to crouch block. Standing 1 hits high but you have some leeway on the execution window. It's +16 on hit so you can keep the pressure going.

F.1 is a bit iffy because it's 21 frames, but it's +7 on block and +5 on hit. Because of its animation it's useful for fooling people into thinking they can punish, but you've got a good 4 frame low to stuff their reversal with. ;)

F.2+down is surprisingly good despite its odd inputs. It's an 11 frame overhead that's neutral on block - quite a good deal if you ask me. It moves him forward a good space, making it quite a footsie tool. At level three venom, this becomes armored, making it even deadlier in footsies.

B.2 1 and B.2 3 are amazing strings, both advantageous on block. The former hits overhead and the second launches for a full combo(can hit confirm into wall bounce). You're completely safe after these but your opponent might think otherwise - take advantage of that. B.21 is +4 on block - b.23 is +5.

113 is another advantage string; being +3 on block, it's a string that hit confirms easily . The first hit is high so you should be wary of this(the second is mid, last is overhead), some may stuff your attempt if they crouch it.

His sweep move (d.3), while not safe on block, is a good check. On hit it grants an untechable knockdown and you can follow-up with a Venom c.grab on their wake-up. You have to commit to the move though so don't let them expect it.

~

Off a landed d.1(on hit) you can go for a blockstring, be it 113, a just-frame(or close to it) low string(b.1 is 17 frames; b.2 is 18 but it has more combo potential.) or mix it up with the 11-frame overhead in f.2+down. You can open them up a little more with throws or go for a command grab. On block, you can mix-up with the double punch, which is incredibly difficult to fuzzy guard, or another d.1 to get the frame advantage if they expect the overhead D.P.

After strings, if you don't have Venom activated simply go into Double punch for the extra chip and meter. You're only at -4 so you don't have to worry about getting blown up, though having the armor is always helpful.

If they're too respectful of the immediate* Double Punch follow-ups, then start hitting them with 113; it's free chip and meter for you and it lets you run down the time if you're on Venom recovery. It starts as a high hitter so if you see them start trying to crouch, it's time to D.P that bitch.

*When you're on Venom, you don't want to link a block string right into the Double Punch; rather, you want to complete the string, THEN do the inputs a short time later. You can further delay them to provoke some kind of poking and armor through to keep them nervous

COMMAND GRABS
The command grab, simply put, is awesome. On knockdown, you can generally check them for free with one of these provided you can time it right. At 20 frames, it's a little slow, but it more than makes up for it with reach that's absolutely absurd and dealing close to 20% in damage.

By meter burning your command grab, you are able to deal more damage and throw the opponent. What the moves list does NOT tell you, however, is that by holding backwards, you can throw the opponent BEHIND you. So with a smart use of the command grab or in a tick throw(mentioned just below) this essentially can reverse corner pressure entirely.

With Venom, command grab gains a hit of armor. This makes it even better at countering wake-ups, particularly ones that are invincible through the duration or ones you might not be too adept at punishing without the armor to absorb the hit. This can essentially give you a parry after a knockdown and like I said, tick throws and the like turn this into a true 50/50 with double punch thanks to their ability to absorb hits and shove you back in. Also nice if you manage to score a combo with your back to the wall (113 Command grab is your best bet since it's 9 frames and a decent punisher.)

It should be noted that the input for Command Grab is much simpler than you think. While it is down, back, forward 3, there's a trick to it; by pressing down, back, you can delay the forward 3 up to a short time after and the command grab still comes out. (For those who have difficulty with the inputs.) This works for ALL command grabs in the game.

TICK THROWS

When up close, Bane has access to several 'tick throws' that he can use with his command grab to add another element to his pressure.. A tick throw is when you hit the opponent with a move and then cancel into a command grab, which becomes active as their block-stun ends. The three I have found are as follows -

D.1 - Links into command grab and Double Punch. There is a gap big enough for some characters to Reversal out of it, but making them respect Double Punch can 'fix' the problem in a way. This problem of reversals can also be solved by Venom, which armors your command grab.

1 - Standing 1 cannot be interrupted by moves, but it hits high. Ideal situation is to use it at max-range if someone's trying to come in.

B.11 - Cannot be interrupted by reversals. Two lows that you can block confirm into command grab or hit confirm into 3~Double Punch/Venom Uppercut.

D.2 - Anti air that does not link to command grab on grounded opponents but you can cross up safely vs most of the cast.

B.2 Low that links into command grab. Cannot be interrupted.

ON KNOCKDOWN
Knockdowns are a very important part to keeping Bane's pressure going, as it opens them up to a 50/50 and lets him keep pushing people to the corner. In addition to straightforward mix-ups, be sure to add in tick throws, cancels, and the occasional armored check.

f.2.down is great for checking people on wake-ups if they're expecting you to go into a low. Because it's faster than both his low strings( 11 frames, like D.1), it doesn't require as much timing to stuff-incoming wake-ups.It can't be hit-confirmed, so you're taking a minor risk, but Double Punch is safe so it's not too problematic if you can armor out. Making them respect this lets you start hitting them with b.23 combos for more carry.

When Venom 3 is activated, F.2.Down takes on a whole new level of pressure. It becomes armored which allows you to stuff almost everything in general and makes it a powerful check as well as a whiff punishing move. It gains the ability to stuff armor moves, making it potent in dealing with characters who have a lot of it, like Doomsday and Lex Luthor.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
VENOM - HOW TO USE IT

Using Venom to enhance your pressure and the mind-games that go with it is key to your success.

For staying within the realm of safety, I would stay on level 1 Venom until you're able to take a kill-shot, but here it is.

By ending block strings and the like with Venom, you gain the option of armoring counter-attacks. Because Venom is instantaneous, you lose no block advantage but gain tremendous benefits in damage and mind-games.

Double Punch is your go-to ender after you finish a block string. It's a two-hit overhead that's safe on block and is armored with Venom. It carries a lot of reach to it, use it liberally to keep them on their feet. Conditioning them to expect Double Punches lets you start doing command grabs, which are also armored if they try to throw out a jab and hit you. Use this only occasionally to make them think you're going to do another and hit them with your D.P. Another thing is making them respect the Double Punch then checking them with your fastest low, D1 (becomes 8-6 frames depending which string you ended with for + frames) or going for a full combo. I recommend b.23 as if it's blocked you can repeat the mind game.

In addition to staying close and shutting down counter-offense, Bane can abuse Double Punch from outside poke range and harass a good number of the cast while it's active. Bane builds a lot of meter off of this; be sure to throw in some lows to catch them off-guard with sudden mix-ups and go for some good-damaging combos if you can.

With armored command grabs and advancing overheads, Bane is a monster at shutting down wake-ups. By getting in close with Venom active, Bane can stuff any attempt of countering you might have and do even more damage while he's at it. This goes for jump ins too! Since jump-ins do not jail like they do in MK9, the opponent can usually poke any follow-ups on block, but such is not the case with Bane! You can do any jump in and immediately follow up with whatever armored move you feel like using; command grab is a pretty obnoxious tool here.

Venom also gives him some decent counter-offense maneuvers; Venom Uppercut gains a hit of armor, allowing him to stuff jump ins and granting him a free meaty command throw. He can counter zoning with an armored Charge that takes him full-screen and gives him just a little bit of oki game.

Combining frame traps with armor to cover gaps and mix-ups will make Bane possibly one of the dirtiest rushdown characters in the game. He does not give a single shit about your fundamentals and he will build heavy meter while he pressures you. All of this comes together for a vicious cycle of rape in the corner.

In the corner, Bane can steamroll virtually anything. He's got your back to the wall and shit goes in full swing with frame traps and anti-air grabs. Off a wall-bounce that launches you away, he can dash and AA grab you just to throw you back in and get even more pressure going. He can go for killshots here by stacking Venom before it runs out up to three and keeping you locked down for ages. Even when it's gone you have to respect the meter he's built for wall bounces and grabs to waste his recovery and get back to destroying you; he'll take more damage but you're still fucked.

tl;dr You know nothing of strength.

D_Matt_Ma

Sheeva isn't Goro's wife. Goro is her husband.
To maintain pressure while doing a sideswitch combo, would you give up damage from the air throw finish in place of the charge move? It leaves them further from the corner, but closer to Bane.

Reactions: RYX

RYX

BIG PUSHER
To maintain pressure while doing a sideswitch combo, would you give up damage from the air throw finish in place of the charge move? It leaves them further from the corner, but closer to Bane.
It depends on the situation I think. I really only use charge as a last resort to get in if dashing won't do the job.

That said, on knockdown if it hits your best bet is either Double Punch or his low starter b.2. You're likely to get a throw too, and you can try to jump in with his jumping down+3 body splash move but you're susceptible to fast AAs. J.2 works as well if you want to sacrifice a bit of damage.

Excellent job, thank you for the information, definitely helps me to improve my Bane's game.
Personally i hate when i lose my venom in the seconds betwen change of life bar, and make double tap in the triait boton accidentally but i will improve eventually.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
Whats the reason Body Press whiffs after so many moves? Balance reasons?
Basically. I don't think you can grab them while they're in block stun because with the way his pressure works it'd be better than Grundy's block string into throw.

Minus the better anti-zoning.

Yeah Im not even going to try and wrap my head around this tonight. You can d1,body press if they block the d1 but if they get hit by the d1 it'll whiff? That or another training mode only scenario.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
Yeah Im not even going to try and wrap my head around this tonight. You can d1,body press if they block the d1 but if they get hit by the d1 it'll whiff? That or another training mode only scenario.
The cancel advantage isn't enough; they can reversal after the D1 before the grab I think.

Yeah maybe at a higher level they might. I can imagine someone online spamming that d1 over and over and just doing that grab. Good week 1 tactics! :D

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
What about 2? It hits mid and to my knowledge is cancelable, and on hit it combos into 22 (special move). It has a small bit of start-up though, but if you tap the opponent with the body splash they won't be able to duck after it.

D_Matt_Ma

You can only throw someone when they are not in blockstun hitstun (in other words, you can't combo into it) or in some cases for certain throws land it when they are in a juggled state (Bane for example). It is absolutely done for balance reasons. Otherwise, you could rinse plus frame moves and lock them down forever.

I haven't found a move that works on hit that you can cancel into the throw. There are a few that work on block.

PND_Mustard

"More stealthful than the night"
Premium Supporter
Great writeup, one of my favourite thing about most of bane's strings is that they're easy to hitconfirm, b112 especially, also i find it better to cancel f2d into specials rather than f2d2, better payoff on hit imo.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
Great writeup, one of my favourite thing about most of bane's strings is that they're easy to hitconfirm, b112 especially, also i find it better to cancel f2d into specials rather than f2d2, better payoff on hit imo.
I don't think fd2d2 combos into anything lol

PND_Mustard

"More stealthful than the night"
Premium Supporter
I don't think fd2d2 combos into anything lol
it doesn't, which is why i prefer cancelling it into double punches as it gives better positioning on hit, and is still safe on block. :), only downside is that you're -5 instead of -2.

So people are calling me a spammer over voice coms.

I'm getting in and doing d1 and spamming double punch w/ venom until they block it. Surprisingly, some people never do. They keep trying to jump or roll. Once they block it, I throw the command grab. Then I start throwing in b23 into combos. I almost never use strings except the b23 once they're on the ground. I wait for venom to make a move and get them down.

Is this how I should be doing it? It seems really good, even against some good players. I went 2-31 against one guy who was 450-125 and it worked well against him. He was just waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than me at ever aspect of the game. I haven't played a fighting game in many years, and I never really tried getting better at one before.

Reactions: RYX

RYX

BIG PUSHER
Added to second post, second paragraph. Summary:

Double punch is great for opening them up to lows. Use frame advantage after block strings with the threat of a fast overhead that stops all movement for a fast low in d.1 that links to Double punch or a speeded up b.23 to get a full combo on hit and another frame trap on block.

D.1 from 113, b.21 and b.23 respectively: 8, 7, 6.
B.1: 14, 13, 12
B.2: 15, 14, 13

AA25Mamba

Batman, Scarecrow, Bane
So, can the poke move be chained into a combo such as B13?

Also, I'm having extreme difficulty getting in attacking range from full screen when being spammed with projectiles, unless I use the LVL 3 Rage charge. This might be more basic gameplay than actual Bane play, but how do you close the gap?

D_Matt_Ma

So, can the poke move be chained into a combo such as B13?

Also, I'm having extreme difficulty getting in attacking range from full screen when being spammed with projectiles, unless I use the LVL 3 Rage charge. This might be more basic gameplay than actual Bane play, but how do you close the gap?
I'm a bit old fashioned, and prefer to just eat chip and inch towards them slowly. I'm not a fan of level 3 venom charge unless I feel it's the best option (I'm winning big or losing big). Yeah, it sucks. Only Bane has to deal with this with his zero projectiles and zero armor from meter moves. His dash isn't Doomsday level, but it gets the job done.

Now that I'm playing some better players, I'm really struggling. I feel like the only option is specials + venom armor which are getting blocked. I feel like a one trick pony that is easily figured out if I play someone more than once or twice. I don't feel like I have any way of attacking. If I try one of the strings, I get smacked in the face. This is even worse against opponents that have wake ups that can't be stuffed like Flash or Batman.

I guess I've hit a wall for now. Maybe I need to play another character for a while and come back after I've learned a bit more about the game and the other characters in general.