What's new

How To Fix MK11: Breakaway

John_NX

Your circumstances are dire!
I think the system is fine for the most part. However, I do think it punishes people who make a lot of correct reads. And it really hurts some characters that rely on damage (Fan fare kitana). I don't really know how NRS can find the middle ground.

Zviko

Noob
The run cancelling wasnt that new just the way it was implemented was new as theres been run before in mk dating back to mk 3 thru mk 4. The way it was done in mk x wasnt the best though having block as part of it? Just seemed flawed and annoying. Most agreed should have been a legit LT have it be it's own button more simple yet still effective.

I would say from everything I've read on here reddit etc majority dont seem to happy about breakaways. I'm open to newer ideas but if the ideas fail or have flaws they need to be fixed ut honestly I see nothing wrong with breakers. Ever hear the term "if it ain't broke dont fix it"? That applies here with breakers to breakaways. It's also what sets it aside from sfz tekken etc. Nrs should not be trying to be just like them, otherwise it's not mk if they keep going that route.

The last part I disagree I feel theres quite a bit that needs fixing in mk 11 but to each his own.

10? Yeah maybe in one day on status updates alone Lol. Honestly, dude I see alot more than 10 not just on here either but YouTubers, reddit etc not to mention the rant thread on here which has a hell of a lot of posts and feedback.

If majority disagreed with me then how come the nrs poll mk 9 destroyed mk 11 again? Just a fair question.

Btw I've been on here since it opened up way back and I have to tell you I've never seen so many users gripe about an mk game or NES game til mk 11 on here, go figure for the "most balanced bestest nrs game evaa"

Also no I will not stop with that argument because majority have priority not the few who love mk 11 because whether you want to admit it or not most of the mkc casual, hardcore or otherwise dont like mk 11 the most hate to break it to you. I can tell you to stop praising a game that clearly has flaws in it but if you like it or deny it whichever I dont really care, more power to you.
None of that proves anything. Sample size is just not big enough. And the fact that it's the most played NRS game doesn't help your argument either.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
None of that proves anything. Sample size is just not big enough. And the fact that it's the most played NRS game doesn't help your argument either.
Most played? Says who? lol it's the current NRS game so naturally NOW it's the most played but most played, loved MK game? Far from it. And how does none of that prove anything? It proves a lot actually but if it's easier for your to go "MK 11 is perfect who cares and has lots of tourney numbers" mode, by all means but we both know deep down if MK 9 or MKT remastered or some other far more popular MK game dropped tomorrow, MK 11 would take a massive hit. At any rate, we're going off topic here. Point is, BA is a flawed mechanic that needs polishing or they need to bring back breakers.

Zviko

Noob
Most played? Says who? lol it's the current NRS game so naturally NOW it's the most played but most played, loved MK game? Far from it. And how does none of that prove anything? It proves a lot actually but if it's easier for your to go "MK 11 is perfect who cares and has lots of tourney numbers" mode, by all means but we both know deep down if MK 9 or MKT remastered or some other far more popular MK game dropped tomorrow, MK 11 would take a massive hit. At any rate, we're going off topic here. Point is, BA is a flawed mechanic that needs polishing or they need to bring back breakers.
It's the most played NRS game at this time of it's cycle. Meaning 9 monts into it and it has a lot more players than any other NRS game had in it's first 9 month period. You want proof? Check steam charts. And that's just PC which we all know it's the least popular system.

That's a proof, not just talking because that's what you think but have no actual numbers to support it. And the reason you see more people complaining does also have to do with the fact that it's way more played than any other game. With that obviously percentage of complainers goes up as well. But still doesn't mean more hate it than like it. You can't prove that.

And stop putting words in my mouth. I never said this game is perfect. I never said you are wrong either. Maybe you are right. I'm just saying you can't prove it so stop saying it.

MKF30

It's the most played NRS game at this time of it's cycle. Meaning 9 monts into it and it has a lot more players than any other NRS game had in it's first 9 month period. You want proof? Check steam charts. And that's just PC which we all know it's the least popular system.

That's a proof, not just talking because that's what you think but have no actual numbers to support it. And the reason you see more people complaining does also have to do with the fact that it's way more played than any other game. With that obviously percentage of complainers goes up as well. But still doesn't mean more hate it than like it. You can't prove that.

And stop putting words in my mouth. I never said this game is perfect. I never said you are wrong either. Maybe you are right. I'm just saying you can't prove it so stop saying it.
Was just saying what it sounded like you said. Didn’t meant to upset you.

While I really don’t care about the whole tournament number thing the game sold well for every console for every platform the funny thing is that every time I ask about the PC version on your people say that it’s pretty much dead. So idk I mean I don’t have the pc but I do have the switch and Xbox and can easily tell you Xbox has way More than the switch. And from what I understand ps4 and Xbox have way more people than the switch and pc combined on mk 11.

On the selling thing and you know as far as the first nine months doing well honestly dude somebody who’s worked in retail my entire life regarding video games and such I can easily tell you as long as the video game is very popular and of a big franchise I don’t care what it is it’s going to do well the first year or two could be cod, halo, super Mario bros, Mk etc doesn’t matter.

While that’s true I’m just saying I see more people who seem to have issues with this game than not, I don’t really care for numbers that much when the evidence is right in front of me with all these ranting topics.

You’re right however that door swings both ways while I can’t prove more hate than love nobody can prove more love than hate it either. It’s all preference I’m just saying personally imo I believe breakers worked better than breakaways. We agree and disagree on some things that’s fine you seem like a reasonable guy.

Last edited:

DarkSado

Noob
If the mechanic is broken or flawed nobody should have to adapt, NRS should just I don't know fix it or make it better? That's pretty much saying "well that's how the game is deal with it" lol So if the game had an infinite or something overly busted we have to "deal with it"? lol Logic..
Yea that logic is so dumb only our community lol

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
I am sure this has been mentioned but I did not see but why not create more space when the BA is activated and maybe add more frames to the knockdown as not to be punished by wake up buttons.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
Wake-up buttons are a small part of the meta in MK11, and that's fine. I'm not sure why since day one of release for MK11 players have been denying this as if it's something that is "bad" or an embarrassing part of the meta to have.

No human is going to meaty or cover every single wake-up 100% of the time on a knockdown. And yes, even when you don't have any defensive meter you still have three different ways to get off the ground and mix your opponent's timing. You can instantly rise, you can short delay, or you can long delay. All of these options come with 21 frames of invincibility when rising from the ground.

The reason why you see wake-up buttons, wake-up jumping, wake-up ducking, wake-up Fatal Blows, wake-up pokes, wake-up strings, or whatever is because it works when done properly and you are not being predictable during your wake-up frames.
@Wigy see? wakeup slide is actually big brain stuff not scrubiness :REO

SamZ

Noob
The biggest complaint in MKX from what I read were , there werent enough defensive options. I think these complaints lead to the current state of MK11. Breakaway,auto meter build and several different wake-up options. I think what they were trying to accomplish is comindable, i just don't think they executed it very well.

My biggest issue with Breakaway is that it’s inconsistent af. I’ll be juggled in a combo and trying to drop out and it won’t come out and I take way more damage than I wanted. Or if i get hit by Sindel V3 amped fireball and try to block low on reaction and I use breakaway a inch off the ground. U can argue that the later example might be intended but it’s very frustrating none the less. It was very rare to get accidental breakers in mkx and they always came out because the input was consistent. You got touched? Forward + Block. This breakaway system is inconsistent and needs to be polished a bit.

MKF30

Yea that logic is so dumb only our community lol
Yup lol

The biggest complaint in MKX from what I read were , there werent enough defensive options. I think these complaints lead to the current state of MK11. Breakaway,auto meter build and several different wake-up options. I think what they were trying to accomplish is comindable, i just don't think they executed it very well.
Agreed. I personally prefer quality over quantity.

I think this tweet seems pertinent here:

Replace references to "tier" with game mechanic and it's 100% on point.
Couldn't agree more. First it was all about Fatal Blow armor, because 'you could poke yourself into death' when your opponent is below 30% health. Now that you can poke characters out of Fatal Blow the discussion is non stop about Breakaways. But every time a 'top player' is caught by Upgraded Jacqui's vortex, Breakaway is imminent.

If a 'top player' has to consider the opponent's options and can't apply mindless pressure or dial full strings without a risk, the crying begins. We're slowly approaching the times when 'top players' want to design games to their liking. MK should adopt this, MK should follow that. Bullshit! If you don't like the game, don't play the game! It's that simple. But talking about balance changes and talking about cutting mechanics out of the game are kompletely different things.

Wondering what will be Sonic's next 'great idea' between a DBFZ and a Granblue session

exflyingbooty

This dream has a sad ending
I always find it funny that people say that but they never used backdash which was really good in a lot of scenarios or breakers properly

mrapchem

Noob
The primary issue with the Breakaway mechanic is that it is inconsistent and often accidental. Its input should be Down+Stance Switch, instead of Down+Block. This way people can ensure that they only breakaway when they intended to. Otherwise, breakaways do add depth to this game for both the attacker and defender - the very thing this community clamored for and said that this game lacked.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
So, has anyone proved or disproved if there are invulnerable frames on wakeup?
It's not invulnerable frames as in invincible wakeups. The thing in this game is the standing up animation is 21 frames long, which is much longer than previous games. During this stand up animation the player doesn't have control over the character yet (can't press buttons/block/etc) and that's where it's invunlerable. The character is invulnerable/can't be touched until the player regains control of it.

It's not as in you can stand up and jab and have invincible frames during the jab start up or anything like that.

DeftMonk

Noob
Breakaway is fucked for one big reason: It messes juggler’s imputs to the point where one performs a string with second attack having enough recovery and the opponent could punish him after getting up. Hope it makes sense lol
Hence why most people hit confirm mid juggle like if they need to do a 3 hit string while he’s airborne they will do the first 2 and see if he broke out before they enter the third. Or just use a different combo while they have two bars and the opponent previously brokeaway/combo would kill. Some people don’t wake up and some people don’t breakaway.
if you just go on auto pilot after you launch someone ofc your gonna lose pressure or maybe even get punished.

DDTECH

H8TR MKR
The Breakaway system should reset to neutral, like what MKX did. The breakaway system in MK11 is literally Fuck ass shit, because its rewarding the player who got opened up a chance to punish the player, punishing him.. which is completely and utterly stupid.

I have a hard time committing to ANYTHING when they have 2 defensive bars because if as a LAO main, i commit to a full combo punish and hit spin, and they break at the right time, i'm dead, close to dead or eating 35%+

I like most of the stuff, delay getup, rolls, etc, that all has its place in this game, but the break away system literally hurts the guy actually making reads and opening up their opp.

Chernyy Volk

Wolf lord, footsie bully, chronic corner abuser.
The primary issue with the Breakaway mechanic is that it is inconsistent and often accidental. Its input should be Down+Stance Switch, instead of Down+Block. This way people can ensure that they only breakaway when they intended to. Otherwise, breakaways do add depth to this game for both the attacker and defender - the very thing this community clamored for and said that this game lacked.
Who in the world asked for asked for this kind of depth? Scrubs? The community I hang around in and top players have been asking for the removal of any combo breaking mechanic since MKX.

Chernyy Volk

Breakaway doesn't bother me at all. I'll take the pressure now that their only options are to delay. Thanks, m8.
There is no pressuring someone on breakaway. You are mixing yourself up when they breakaway.

Chernyy Volk

Couldn't agree more. First it was all about Fatal Blow armor, because 'you could poke yourself into death' when your opponent is below 30% health. Now that you can poke characters out of Fatal Blow the discussion is non stop about Breakaways. But every time a 'top player' is caught by Upgraded Jacqui's vortex, Breakaway is imminent.

If a 'top player' has to consider the opponent's options and can't apply mindless pressure or dial full strings without a risk, the crying begins. We're slowly approaching the times when 'top players' want to design games to their liking. MK should adopt this, MK should follow that. Bullshit! If you don't like the game, don't play the game! It's that simple. But talking about balance changes and talking about cutting mechanics out of the game are kompletely different things.

Wondering what will be Sonic's next 'great idea' between a DBFZ and a Granblue session
You and a lot of this site are severely out of touch with the way the high level gameplay community views this game.

We asked for breakaway to be nerfed or removed from the game entirely SINCE THE BETAS and have been consistently asking for this since.

We asked for fatal blows to lose armor entirely SINCE THE BETAS and have consistently asked for this since.

This statement here especially infuriates me

"If a 'top player' has to consider the opponent's options and can't apply mindless pressure or dial full strings without a risk, the crying begins. We're slowly approaching the times when 'top players' want to design games to their liking. MK should adopt this, MK should follow that. Bullshit! If you don't like the game, don't play the game! It's that simple. But talking about balance changes and talking about cutting mechanics out of the game are kompletely different things."

So... you don't believe that good decisions should equal reward basically? There's too many layers to this game. Everything is a life and death hard read because there's too many fucking variables. When you have that, good decision making becomes more and more irrelevant which is anti fighting game as fuck dude.

People. In. This. Game. Are. Rewarded. For. Being. Wrong. and you are put into layers upon layers of options FOR SUCCESSFULLY DEFENDING. People, top players, DO NOT LIKE the decision making processes in this game. I don't. Lots of upper mid level players who like learning games at a high level don't. There's nothing scrubby about disliking a game that SPECIFICALLY IS DESIGNED AT EVERY TURN to nerf decision impact. It's insane.