What's new

How To Fix MK11: Breakaway

As far as kollector goes, we really need a grounded break, it's a simple depth thing and maybe we dont absolutely need it,and I think I wanna differentiate grounded and unbreakable combos maybe it should be different. I'm fine with FB cancel combos but fuck that getting 35 percent cause you guessed wrong nonsense.
So bring back breaker? Lmao

How bout if you get punished, you hold the damage?

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
While I don't like the breakaway mechanic either, its going to throw the balance out of whack if they simply remove it. Right now some characters like say, Scorpion, have combos that you cannot breakaway from due to them being 100% grounded. This is the also the basis of why characters like Scorp have lower overall combo damage than your Jacquis and Geras' etc since their combos, while highly damaging, can be broken away from.

If they're going to remove breakaway completely then the balance of the entire cast will have to be reassessed... and since we know NRS can't balance a perfectly square block on an airport runway... the less rebalancing they're required to attempt the better.
Honestly, if they just removed it with nothing to replace it. Then yeah. However, not if they replaced it with breakers. I believe that change would make the game better.

My main suggestion would be not to remove the mechanic so much as to provide tools to punish players who use it when you make the correct read.
I don't get this. Weren't people complaining that they don't like it because it doesn't reset neutral like the old breakers? Now you're suggesting the aggressor gets a bonus punish option on a read? Doesn't make sense.

After they breakaway your only guess is will they delay wakeup or not. And you don't have to worry about breakaway at least for the next whatever seconds.

If they want to make it a more old school breaker style, then maybe remove or enforce the option to delay wakeup after a breakaway. The aggressor then has no guessing games to contend with and neutral is effectively reset, so long as your combo doesn't continue too long after the opponent gets up. But again, that's on you picking the right moment/combo to ensure that won't happen.

However, not if they replaced it with breakers. I believe that change would make the game better.
Why?

You'll no doubt then get another crowd complaining that they can't start any grounded combo's because people keep on using breakers all the time because of the lameness of the auto-generating meter system...

MKF30

Why?

You'll no doubt then get another crowd complaining that they can't start any grounded combo's because people keep on using breakers all the time because of the lameness of the auto-generating meter system...

Because they suck? lol Breakaways for one cost way too much meter for what they're supposed to do, secondly they're not as good as breakers which you said yourself unlike breakers that give you space and reset the neutral(the point of the move is to give you space while stopping a combo/attack) Breakaways don't do that, all they do is make you hit the ground with armor and you're still next to the aggressor so what's the point? Aside from those reasons, another reason why they're not good compared to breakers is simple. If I'm Raiden for example being a Raiden player and I nail you into a combo using SC in Thunder Wave, and you breakaway on the first hit, Raiden is still raving electricity over there while you will recover faster than my move and be able to hit me for free which is the dumbest thing ever. There are other examples of this happening where the aggressor gets punished during a combo. I don't mind if you want to break out of an attack, combo whatever but don't make it stupid to where the attacker gets punished in a case like that. Breakers were way better, also another thing abad about BA's in this game certain combos can't be broken. Another dumb thing about them. So if I'm in a close match and it means me breaking out using a BA to save my ass or it being moot due to the combo my opponent uses being "unbreakable" and I lose cause of that? What's the point of having a break away then? lol

So those would be the reasons why BA's suck and breakers need to return. I'm sure you won't be satisfied if you really have to question the obvious but it's not lame to break away from aggressive players, insanely damaging combos and it took a bit to recharge you're acting as if the meter instantly recharged lol. what's lame is having a useless mechanic like Breakaways do the offensive player and defensive player do more harm than good half the time.

DragonofDadashov24

Let’s see whose fire burns hotter
Breakaway is fucked for one big reason: It messes juggler’s imputs to the point where one performs a string with second attack having enough recovery and the opponent could punish him after getting up. Hope it makes sense lol

MKF30

If the mechanic is broken or flawed nobody should have to adapt, NRS should just I don't know fix it or make it better? That's pretty much saying "well that's how the game is deal with it" lol So if the game had an infinite or something overly busted we have to "deal with it"? lol Logic..

MKF30

If you don't like it doesn't mean it's broken or flawed. Lol logic..
Has nothing to do with me "liking it or not" it just doesn't work, lol denial...

It's not like most people on here can't stand the mechanic...oh wait. You can't possibly justify this mechanic being better than breakers.

In this case it isn't.
I'd have to respectfully disagree, if it wasn't then why do so many people hate it/have issues with it?

Zviko

Noob
Has nothing to do with me "liking it or not" it just doesn't work, lol denial...

It's not like most people on here can't stand the mechanic...oh wait. You can't possibly justify this mechanic being better than breakers.

I'd have to respectfully disagree, if it wasn't then why do so many people hate it/have issues with it?
Oh the "majority" argument again. What majority? What most people? 10 on the forum? Because most of the comments on the forum agree with something is good enough sample for you to call it majority of the whole MK11 community?

Imo most people come to the forum to complain. Are there thousands of people here complaining? No. Are there thousands playing the game every single day? Yes. So I'm gonna say majority disagree with you. Am I right or wrong? I don't know. And guess what, you don't know either. So stop with the majority argument because it's pointless.

Whether you like the mechanic or not it isn't busted. You mentioned that having no defensive meter isnt a big deal but didn't explain why. Like the others have said, when you use it you have no wake up options besides delay wake up. As the aggressor you are free to pressure if you read the breaker. If it's too strong then why not have it cost all 4 bars of meter?

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I'm not convinced there's actually that many people who don't like it or have issues with it. It's a new thing, so there's always going to be some people who love it and some people who hate it, and a lot of people who just shrug their shoulders and say ok. It's not that much different than Run canceling in MKX. Some people liked the run mechanic and RC's, some hated and wanted it out of the game. For most it was just a part of the game.

Nothing wrong with offering some ways to tweak the current system, but at some point it is what it is. Breakaways are in the game, and they are how they are. There's just not that much in MK11 that needs "fixing".

Chernyy Volk

Wolf lord, footsie bully, chronic corner abuser.
Whether you like the mechanic or not it isn't busted. You mentioned that having no defensive meter isnt a big deal but didn't explain why. Like the others have said, when you use it you have no wake up options besides delay wake up. As the aggressor you are free to pressure if you read the breaker. If it's too strong then why not have it cost all 4 bars of meter?
Wakeup buttons exist, plus how easily meta characters take back their turn. People don't understand at the highest level when you don't play top 5 it's SUPER hard to even open somebody up to the degree where by the time you get your next clean hit they can breakaway again.

Wakeup buttons exist, plus how easily meta characters take back their turn. People don't understand at the highest level when you don't play top 5 it's SUPER hard to even open somebody up to the degree where by the time you get your next clean hit they can breakaway again.
"Wake up buttons" fall into the same category as "wake up jumps". If you read the breakaway not only are you on top of the opponent, you are at full advantage and can stuff any wake up button without fear of an u2, u3 or a roll. It's completely your turn in this scenario.

Chernyy Volk

Wolf lord, footsie bully, chronic corner abuser.
"Wake up buttons" fall into the same category as "wake up jumps". If you read the breakaway not only are you on top of the opponent, you are at full advantage and can stuff any wake up button without fear of an u2, u3 or a roll. It's completely your turn in this scenario.
Than how come Jacqui and Liu players in top 16's and top 8's are constantly getting success by wakeup buttons? Even Sonic can't consistently stop Liu's from doing wakeup 123.

Than how come Jacqui and Liu players in top 16's and top 8's are constantly getting success by wakeup buttons? Even Sonic can't consistently stop Liu's from doing wakeup 123.
Bc it's suicide. They aren't expecting it. That's why things like that work. If they new that they were going to wake up d1 they would have stuffed it easily. It's the same reason why d4 slide works with sub. No one expects it. Also in those scenarios they aren't waking up with buttons after a breakaway.

REO

Undead
Wake-up buttons are a small part of the meta in MK11, and that's fine. I'm not sure why since day one of release for MK11 players have been denying this as if it's something that is "bad" or an embarrassing part of the meta to have.

No human is going to meaty or cover every single wake-up 100% of the time on a knockdown. And yes, even when you don't have any defensive meter you still have three different ways to get off the ground and mix your opponent's timing. You can instantly rise, you can short delay, or you can long delay. All of these options come with 21 frames of invincibility when rising from the ground.

The reason why you see wake-up buttons, wake-up jumping, wake-up ducking, wake-up Fatal Blows, wake-up pokes, wake-up strings, or whatever is because it works when done properly and you are not being predictable during your wake-up frames.

Wake-up buttons are a small part of the meta in MK11, and that's fine. I'm not sure why since day one of release for MK11 players have been denying this as if it's something that is "bad" or an embarrassing part of the meta to have.

No human is going to meaty or cover every single wake-up 100% of the time on a knockdown. And yes, even when you don't have any defensive meter you still have three different ways to get off the ground and mix your opponent's timing. You can instantly rise, you can short delay, or you can long delay. All of these options come with 21 frames of invincibility when rising from the ground.

The reason why you see wake-up buttons, wake-up jumping, wake-up ducking, wake-up Fatal Blows, wake-up pokes, wake-up strings, or whatever is because it works when done properly and you are not being predictable during your wake-up frames.
As far as wake up options go I think they are too strong. They are beatable but very strong. What's your take on the breakaway? Personally I wouldn't mind the person losing all bars including offensive meter.

MKF30

I'm not convinced there's actually that many people who don't like it or have issues with it. It's a new thing, so there's always going to be some people who love it and some people who hate it, and a lot of people who just shrug their shoulders and say ok. It's not that much different than Run canceling in MKX. Some people liked the run mechanic and RC's, some hated and wanted it out of the game. For most it was just a part of the game.

Nothing wrong with offering some ways to tweak the current system, but at some point it is what it is. Breakaways are in the game, and they are how they are. There's just not that much in MK11 that needs "fixing".
The run cancelling wasnt that new just the way it was implemented was new as theres been run before in mk dating back to mk 3 thru mk 4. The way it was done in mk x wasnt the best though having block as part of it? Just seemed flawed and annoying. Most agreed should have been a legit LT have it be it's own button more simple yet still effective.

I would say from everything I've read on here reddit etc majority dont seem to happy about breakaways. I'm open to newer ideas but if the ideas fail or have flaws they need to be fixed ut honestly I see nothing wrong with breakers. Ever hear the term "if it ain't broke dont fix it"? That applies here with breakers to breakaways. It's also what sets it aside from sfz tekken etc. Nrs should not be trying to be just like them, otherwise it's not mk if they keep going that route.

The last part I disagree I feel theres quite a bit that needs fixing in mk 11 but to each his own.
Oh the "majority" argument again. What majority? What most people? 10 on the forum? Because most of the comments on the forum agree with something is good enough sample for you to call it majority of the whole MK11 community?

Imo most people come to the forum to complain. Are there thousands of people here complaining? No. Are there thousands playing the game every single day? Yes. So I'm gonna say majority disagree with you. Am I right or wrong? I don't know. And guess what, you don't know either. So stop with the majority argument because it's pointless.
10? Yeah maybe in one day on status updates alone Lol. Honestly, dude I see alot more than 10 not just on here either but YouTubers, reddit etc not to mention the rant thread on here which has a hell of a lot of posts and feedback.

If majority disagreed with me then how come the nrs poll mk 9 destroyed mk 11 again? Just a fair question.

Btw I've been on here since it opened up way back and I have to tell you I've never seen so many users gripe about an mk game or NES game til mk 11 on here, go figure for the "most balanced bestest nrs game evaa"

Also no I will not stop with that argument because majority have priority not the few who love mk 11 because whether you want to admit it or not most of the mkc casual, hardcore or otherwise dont like mk 11 the most hate to break it to you. I can tell you to stop praising a game that clearly has flaws in it but if you like it or deny it whichever I dont really care, more power to you.

Last edited:

DeftMonk

Noob
I think the mechanic while brain dead defensively add's depth offensively. At least from a conceptual stand point. You have carry combos, max damage corner combos and with breakaway you have juggle and non juggle combos.

Of course if you remove the mechanic you're going to level the playing field a bit, with less depth it becomes easier to balance. Which I think speaks to the main issue here which is less the mechanic and more of how it skews balance between characters who do well against it versus those who do not.

My main suggestion would be not to remove the mechanic so much as to provide tools to punish players who use it when you make the correct read.
Only in a game where offensive depth is non existant would this argument exist. If they added this to give depth...that was a dumbass reason.