What's new

How should Sub-Zero come back in MK10? And Who should he be?

Should Sub-Zero come back and if so who should it be?

• Total voters

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
We all know the real reason you want that back is to coax M2Dave into picking up Jax for MK10 and rage at the inevitable nerfs.
"listen, dood.... Machine gun is fair and balanced, DO NOT TAKE HIM FROM ME! THIS IS A BUNCH OF BOOLSHIT!"

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
If Jax comes back lol. He's dead. I know Sub is too(currently) but we all know

Sub-Zero>>>>>>>>>>Jax :)

MKF30

The only dead characters who stand a chance at coming back are Sub-Zero and Kitana IMO. Everyone else, yeah they're dead.lol
I hope you're right man lol. Especially Kabal and that fucking broken pos Kunt Lao!!! lol

MKF30

Well, since Subby is confirmed(assuming it's Kuai Liang) or a new Sub-Zero all together, I highly doubt it's Bi-Han. Question is...how? Elder Gods resurrecting him? Raiden resurrecting him? I'm guessing it's one of these some how lol. Or someone. But just happy he's back!

Well, since Subby is confirmed(assuming it's Kuai Liang) or a new Sub-Zero all together, I highly doubt it's Bi-Han. Question is...how? Elder Gods resurrecting him? Raiden resurrecting him? I'm guessing it's one of these some how lol. Or someone. But just happy he's back!
As I keep saying today: "At least he's not a cyborg"

MKF30

As I keep saying today: "At least he's not a cyborg"
I take it NRS heard the fanbase overall lol. More demands for human sub over cyber, this is what I'm betting the case is now that he's human again unless they bring him back then literally de-automate him somehow? hmmm lol can't wait!

Kevlang

Noob
I don't want to be a boring party pooper on this, because I personally love the MK mythology and the story of MK9.... However, I really don't how they carve out the story line for this one, as long as the core characters are included.

I really hope this doesn't turn into MK4, with a bunch of new characters that crowd out the original ones... I like new characters, but not if it means giving up Scorpion, or Liu Kang, or Kitana... (I play none of these characters, but an MK should always have these characters.)

I started out playing Raiden, but gravitated to Smoke during MK9, but I wouldn't be devastated if Smoke wasn't included in MK X. He's not a core character, so I understand that NRS wouldn't include him simply because he's my main. Out of all the ninja's, I think that Scorpion, & Sub-Zero are the only ones that MUST be included... Which is obvious from the newly released trailer...

MKF30

I don't want to be a boring party pooper on this, because I personally love the MK mythology and the story of MK9.... However, I really don't how they carve out the story line for this one, as long as the core characters are included.

I really hope this doesn't turn into MK4, with a bunch of new characters that crowd out the original ones... I like new characters, but not if it means giving up Scorpion, or Liu Kang, or Kitana... (I play none of these characters, but an MK should always have these characters.)

I started out playing Raiden, but gravitated to Smoke during MK9, but I wouldn't be devastated if Smoke wasn't included in MK X. He's not a core character, so I understand that NRS wouldn't include him simply because he's my main. Out of all the ninja's, I think that Scorpion, & Sub-Zero are the only ones that MUST be included... Which is obvious from the newly released trailer...
I have a few ideas, resurrection, alternate universe Sub-Zero? New Sub-Zero from the Lin Kuei all together? Has to be one of those....or perhaps flashback moments and with those flashback moments when certain characters were still alive, they figured from a gameplay perspective make them playable...before they were actually killed in the storyline of MK 9, MK X which is also possible...

I also wouldn't rule out reptile and ermac either, also very popular ninjas of the series.

Kevlang

Noob
Why does everyone care so much about the storyline? This is Mortal Kombat, not Game of Thrones. I'm more interested in the selection of fighters and the gameplay mechanics than the story.

Even though Sub-Zero was killed by Scorpion after MK I, he keeps appearing in the game, and he just became the little brother of the original SZ simply for the sake of convenience.

Johnny Cage died in MK3, but was a playable character in MK Trilogy. I believe his excuse was:
"Killed in battle with an Outworld extermination squad, Johnny Cage's life came to a tragic end. But the celluloid superstar manages to cheat death when his path to the after life is blocked by the merger of Earth and Outworld. His soul takes possession of his body once again and enables Cage to rejoin his friends to battle for Earth's survival."

Then, he dies after the Chris-Christie traffic jam of souls is dissipated after the realms cease to merge.

He's dead for reals this time, right? Wrong!!

In Mortal Kombat 4,
"After Shao Kahn's defeat, Cage's soul is free to leave to a higher place. From the heavens, he observes his friends engaged in battle. With the heavens in disarray, he learns of the war waged against the Elder Gods by Shinnok. Cage seeks out Raiden to help him restore his deceased soul and join Liu Kang in his quest. Once again, Johnny Cage finds himself fighting alongside Earth's greatest warriors."

I think I've made my point. The Developers are going to include any characters that adds value or appeal, and then come up with a five minute brainstorm to shoe horn the characters into the story.

And that's perfectly fine! It's a fighting game.

I
Why does everyone care so much about the storyline? This is Mortal Kombat, not Game of Thrones. I'm more interested in the selection of fighters and the gameplay mechanics than the story.

Even though Sub-Zero was killed by Scorpion after MK I, he keeps appearing in the game, and he just became the little brother of the original SZ simply for the sake of convenience.

Johnny Cage died in MK3, but was a playable character in MK Trilogy. I believe his excuse was:
"Killed in battle with an Outworld extermination squad, Johnny Cage's life came to a tragic end. But the celluloid superstar manages to cheat death when his path to the after life is blocked by the merger of Earth and Outworld. His soul takes possession of his body once again and enables Cage to rejoin his friends to battle for Earth's survival."
Then, he dies after the Chris-Christie traffic jam of souls is dissipated after the realms cease to merge.

He's dead for reals this time, right? Wrong!!

In Mortal Kombat 4,
"After Shao Kahn's defeat, Cage's soul is free to leave to a higher place. From the heavens, he observes his friends engaged in battle. With the heavens in disarray, he learns of the war waged against the Elder Gods by Shinnok. Cage seeks out Raiden to help him restore his deceased soul and join Liu Kang in his quest. Once again, Johnny Cage finds himself fighting alongside Earth's greatest warriors."

I think I've made my point. The Developers are going to include any characters that adds value or appeal, and then come up with a five minute brainstorm to shoe horn the characters into the story.

And that's perfectly fine! It's a fighting game.
I think the 90% of the whole story is constructed through the way you suggest hahaha!
I still enjoy it. Remember, MK is the fighting game with the deepest story. A reason that makes MK so unique

MKF30

Yeah things mk unlike their competitors love and care of their characters via a viable story. I mean notice even in legacy with him getting arrested struggling for work with obamas shitty economy, he still thrives in mk ;-)

Anyway lol point is, as i said earlier mk characters are fleshed out not just randomnly thrown in a ring to fight for the sake of fighting.

P.s. Mkt Wasnt canon really, it had mk1, mk2 characters etc and strayed away from umk3, which is the real canon. Mkt isnt canon since mk9 shows raiden getting saved from motaro killing him.

To put it bluntly, mkt was a fan service game. Umk3 with more characters.

Kevlang

Noob
I

I think the 90% of the whole story is constructed through the way you suggest hahaha!
I still enjoy it. Remember, MK is the fighting game with the deepest story. A reason that makes MK so unique
I enjoy it too. But I'm willing to bet that this thread has spent 10x more time on the story line than NRS.

Example:
After the events of MK9, Raiden used his amulet, to send back a less rushed, more coherent message to his younger self.

Instead of, the catastrophically vague statement, "He must win", he says "Allow Shao Kahn to violate the rules of Mortal Kombat, and the Elder Gods will step in and regulate."

Everybody Lives (except for Kahn) and NRS has the entire cast to draw from in MK X.

**Shao Kahn comes back too because Shang Tsung casts a spell that brings him back to life... Sound familiar?

Kevlang

Noob
The answer to every question is Bill Menoutis.
They should merge the souls of the cryomancers into a new, more powerful warrior named "Lord Menoutis".

Storyline is tied up with a neat bow, and we resolve the overpopulation of ice ninjas.

MKF30

I cant see how shao kahn comes back lol. Unless the elder gods ok it since they kind of vaporized him lol

Oogalord

Noob
I enjoy it too. But I'm willing to bet that this thread has spent 10x more time on the story line than NRS.
MK9 was highly unique for the depth of it's story mode. How many other developers actually construct the events of a fighting game as one coherent storyline? NRS spends more time on their "storylines" than anyone else in the genre.

I think Kuai Lang is dead and he's not coming back, it's just someone else behind the mask.

GeoffBedlam

Warrior

I'm thinking that the Sub-Zero shown in the trailer is an alternate universe one and the story will be kinda like Injustice. That's just what I think from this tweet here.

I sure as fuck hope not. Hell, anyone that's seen my opinion on "Who should return?" knows I want most of the characters that died to stay dead.

The only viable options for resurrection would be Liu Kang and Shang Tsung because they usually have a key part in the story.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Well, there are few things to consider:

1) Sub-Zeros is a large dynasty of of legacy characters, and we know that there were more of them than 2. We could maybe have a nice intrigue about identity of the new one, but I can't think of a way to make "unmasking" dramatic or impactful enough. But maybe that's just me not being very familliar with the universe and characters.

2) We have already seen numerous dead characters as Netherrealm ghosts. They may yet come into play.

3) We didn't see Bi-Han's soul among those ghosts, and in fact, we didn't see him actually dying or something to that effect. We've seen a body from which some magical essense was separated by that soulnado. One can make literally anything out of it.

4) It's not implausible that robotized Kuai Liang isn't dead in any shape or form, but turning him into non-cyber form can be proven problematic.

5) Yes, we have Frost. On a relevant note, she used pair of daggers. Make her slide safe and we're set :p

TaffyMeat

Infinite Meter Kombos
I want Bi-Han back. What I saw in the trailer was sub mk9 costume with noob mk9 alt head. I don't understand why everyone thinks that it's raiden coming through sub because Check said so. I don't see it. Why? Because his eyes glowed blue? Because after he was unmasked he had a generic face? That's next gen technology.

ColdSpine

"I wore those colors before you"
this might sound weird but anyone else thinks that this might be a random lin kuie guy in the trailer?

also, i find it intriguing how he reacts when he first lays down eyes on scorpion, in the close up shot, u could see his eyebrows indicating that he is surprised or something i dunno but its likr he is sayin there u r mot***f**r.

by the way scorpion was acting, its like he was out there hunting lin kuie memebers down one by one. i dont know im just excited it and i love the undead look for subzero!

subzero is a legacy and not a person so it could be anyone really!