What's new

How Mortal Kombat 11's Custom Variations Will Work In Competitive Play

Afumba

Noob
Wow... what a waste of time and resources. At this point i wish they had just created 1 version of each character. The time spent on the whole slot equip stuff should have gone into making more characters and stages.

At this point i just hope that there is a separate mode for custom variation and augmentation. Would really suck if the only way to play custom variation is against people which use augemtations.

Edit: maybe they will at least add a ranked mode for custom variations(with augments banned)

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
I'm kinda disappointed, but I get the logic. Overall balancing is more manageable and at least with the beta's UI the customization just wouldn't be logistically viable in a tourney setting. Could've had the options at the character select screen, yes... but balancing is still more manageable in any case. And having that level playing field is important for competition, be it tourneys or online.

Plus, I can't fault NRS for pushing the customization aspect in their marketing and not having it in competition at the same time. The hardcore guys are gonna get the game anyway, marketing is meant to sell the game to people who don't know if they want it or not, the more casual crowd. I (and I'm betting most of this forum) was gonna get the game anyway. Character variations or not.

Still, I can't deny having looked forward to what kinds of move sets the pros would've come up with. There's always the possibility for custom character invitationals though, that's totally manageable. Then again, would allowing customs in competition have boiled each character down to just one "optimal" build? There's a big chance of that having happened too.

Most of all though, I reeeeaaaally hope they cook up good variations of the characters.
In other words....Lets be lazy because that's more manageable. I refuse to go by that bullshit logic. This is why.

If you decide to make your game out of all the games in the franchise THE BEST then you damn sure better give it the BEST treatment you can provide. That includes competitive/tournament play. Some things may not be easy to incorporate but ANYTHING can be manageable with the vision of being the best. This was pure laziness.

Xelz

Go over there!
This seems to be receiving a negative reaction from the "influencers" but if they were to change it how do you propose they do it for offline tournaments with every player having to set up two or three custom variations for 3- 5 characters or more? Ranked has to have the same rules as competitive tournaments imo.
They'd have to build it into the character select UI. It's certainly not impossible - players would only be selecting 2-3 moves, which is 1 or 2 clicks more than picking a preset variation. But if NRS didn't build that UI by now, it'd probably be a pain to add at this point. Maybe something in a future patch, but I have a hard time seeing how they could change direction in time for April 23rd.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
By the time Injustice 3 rolls around, the default loadout for Superman will literally just be F2,3. The rest of his moves are not available in competitive play.

This is so incredibly disappointing. NRS has a lot of work to do prior to release, because the default loadouts are super bland. Some don't even use up the 3 available slots/skill points, or whatever you want to call them.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
I wanted the same. I mean Injustice 2 had two different Player Match options with Regular Player Match and Competitive Player Match so I was hoping for something similar that we'll have Tournament Ranked with tournament legal variations and another Ranked mode for Kustom Variations.

I fully understand the disappointment. I really do.

BUT

There's a move that is the Timer Scam move of Geras. That is the reason I can't blame NRS. And I am looking forward to play Geras, just not with that move. The game is about footsies, neutral, reads, skill. But this move is outrageously cheap AF. And it is something I never want to see in kompetitive play. Everyone, literally everyone can make 2 good reads in a game. Your opponent lands a hard knockdown, a Krushing Blow maybe or just cancels a kombo in an appropriate moment into Timer Scam and takes 30 seconds away. Then another 30. Then he turtles for the final 10 seconds aaand you're dead.

Yes, it would be an orgasmic satisfaction to hit someone with a Krushing Blow and take it away from him in the last second. But if you play godlike footsies, make good reads and have an excellent execution and you're chasing a mofo in Ranked Set for 5 games when he does nothing else just sits back and Timer Scams whenever it is possible and you lose 2-3, that would be maddening. Everyone told that MK11 is awesome because there are no fraudulent wins anymore but this thing would be exactly that. I read some opinions after the beta that people were complaining about how finding early Krushing Blows then sitting back was a typical tactic - Timer Scam would be the same.

So be careful what you wish for!
Geras can't zone you out with anything in his kit.

If he wants to turtle, he'd have to risk walking himself into the corner like everyone else, but worst.
That and the fact that you could only use Lost Time once per round. That move is just a fun gimmick imo and I'd be impressed af if it worked in tournament with the kind of character Geras is.

People in SF5 sit on life leads all day long, it's a very important strategy to force the offense of your opponent. That doesn't mean all matches end in time out or get even close to it.

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
This is false. There are many examples of successful games with unusual character/options select screens being accommodated for tourney play. Not to mention modern tourney players wasting so much time fiddling with their sticks & headphones, removing/putting on clothing, water breaks, mugging for the crowd/camera and ridiculous “button checks”.
Point being, if it is wanted, the community could accommodate. Don’t pretend otherwise.
Sure people take the piss already when just selecting one character without any other menus or fiddly ballshit to mess about with before every game. Imagine how much of a piss take it would be with custom variations too.

Our community can cry and cry all we want but I really can't imagine people sifting through menus on the main stage of evo customising however many variations for each of the x characters they use. Sure in a perfect world "it's up to tha community" but no matter how much I want customs I wouldn't even allow it if I was a TO just due to time constraints and the sheer impracticality of it all. A simple UI in the character select like something akin to the MvC games would eliminate these issues entirely

Why are people complaining? You can play with your custom variations casually. Most people don't travel or compete at tournaments so go ahead and play the way you like.
Unless they split the online playerbase 6 ways, which they would be mad to do, you're not gonna get to play with custom variations online without the baggage of augment boosts.

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
Then they should just increase the number of slots per variation, 5 rather than 3 for example, and thus ensure that every move is in at least one variation.

I'm talking about Augments, not Moves.

Augments are stat buffs that can be attached to the Gear you have on your character. For an example: It might be possible to apply a buff on Scorpion's katana that gives him 15% more damage on block, or something.

EDIT: Everyone thought these were single-player only, but as it turns out it will be available in Casual sets which I find to be very annoying.
Ah didn't read that my mistake. Yeah they could've kept that in Single player.

In other words....Lets be lazy because that's more manageable. I refuse to go by that bullshit logic. This is why.

If you decide to make your game out of all the games in the franchise THE BEST then you damn sure better give it the BEST treatment you can provide. That includes competitive/tournament play. Some things may not be easy to incorporate but ANYTHING can be manageable with the vision of being the best. This was pure laziness.
Calling the Devs lazy isn't fair and kinda messed up because it would take a lot to balance and it is a fair argument for them to do that.

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
I'm not trying to be insensitive but this is completely in line with what Ed has been saying all along. You can still make custom loadouts it's just going to be in casual matches whereas ranked / offline tournaments will have preset variations. You can play both modes and if you really want to try custom variations then just do both casual and competitive.

Jeffrey Wolf

YouTube: Jeffrey B Wolf
Incredibly disappointing and very poor marketing on their part as others have said. If this was the decision, why not have it in the Beta which only ended a few days ago? Also, I have big concerns about their ability to create well thought out variations in this system. As many have said, the variations in the Beta were anything but that. If they had the ability to make "good" variations, why not show them off in the Beta?

Now, character viability will be based on what moves they happen to put together. Oh, no Scorpion variation has Misery Blade and one of Skarlet's variations has two of her best moves? I wonder which character will be better...People complain about balance, but this is going to make many more characters NOT viable and limit the scene. Such a shame...

ChatterBox

Searching for an alt.
This is such a waste. The entire campaign for this game so far has been about customization and now we get less than the last MK game had. This is the first time NRS has taken a step backwards and it really bugs me.

Those beta variations were pretty bad, and none of them were what people ended up using. If they stay it means no misery blade scorpion, no gutted baraka, but instead we get those god awful chain moves and the flag moves that have a 2 pixel window to use correctly.

I'm now not at all excited at the DOPE character they revealed today. I have to assume none of her moves seen in the trailer will be playable, and will conflict with her having a down 2.

NothingPersonal

Are you not entertained!?
So imagine this scenario: custom variations allowed for all modes, NRS only balances their preset variations, inevitably balncing all special moves in the process, presets and customs are avilable for ranked/tournaments, to's and the community decides the tournament standard as the time goes on. What's so hard about that? Everybody wins. It is all possible without excluding each other. I really don't see any issue with this. And augments can stay in casual or a separate online mode or whatever, few care about them.

Last edited:

gitblame

Noob
That's a bullshit mentality that lead this community to have games die every 2 years, sir. I'm trying to come up with solutions to people think is an issue. And I REEEEEALLY don't see this as being difficult at all.
My mentallity leads to it? I am acutally playing the games, support it fully, watch all the tournaments even tho there are mostly in late night in my timezone. I contributed to cashprices for both offline and online tournaments I haven't even played. I go to every tournament I can allow myself to go. I support various of streamers both by watching them and financially because I want them to play game more. I support developer's decisions.
The only thing I don't do is not bitch when things does not go as I imagined and I don't jump from game to game spreading my bitching.

Yeah. I am realistic. You can stay as righteous as you won't but TO won't let kustom variations rock. We can still make it happen online. I know I will be playing with kustom variations. Probably I'll still be playing it after you drop Naruto Fighterz Konoha Senpuu X or what new one year anime wonder will be called that year.