What's new

Question - Scorpion How is Scorpion's viability looking with his new adjustments?

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
He's so fun dude.

21 is now +2
214 is now +2
f2 mixups are dope AF (f2 vs f2~slide)
b4 shenanigans are the hotness (b4~exSpear)
so he can get some decent backdash/counterpoke setups in there and some pressure/conditioning as well.

He was kinda scary before (until you got in), but hes pretty terrifying now.
F2~Slide is an unblockable lol. It's like Reptiles F4~Slide, who blocks dat1?

Perdition

Your friendly neighborhood cynic
Scorpion is good? NRS will not allow that to continue. They must have made a mistake...

I seriously doubt he goes into the final version with the buffs that matter. And if he does, its time to get hype. I refuse to let NRS get my hopes up right now, they will break your heart...if you use Scorpion.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
I think the b4 buff is better than the F2 buff. Having a fast, low profile, good range low that can cancel into ex spear is a bigger deal than most seem to think. I think it may even still break slower armor when canceled into spear bit I haven't been able to test it.

214 being +2 is a big buff too imo. It foot scorpion within good range to use f2 and b4. I think ninjutsu benefits from a lot of new options I think ninja to benefits from a lot of new options from his new plus strings.

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
Scorpion is definitely better, I think people are exaggerating the buffs a little though. His biggest weakness was bad armor, and it's still pretty bad, just not horrible.

Having bad armor is apparently a fairly big weakness. > D'Vorah, Quan, Jacqui

His offense isn't as good as D'Vorah or Quan, so at best he'll be upper mid tier. Probably mid.

Nobody mentioned standing 3? I think it's his biggest buff outside his f2 in Ninjutsu easily.

MadeOfMetal

Kenshi Srubtastic,Cyrax, Special Forces Mains
scorpion is looking more badass, We play against a scorpion and talk about the buffs/ nerfs in our video

you should get some members on here, of like skill. and search and play with them... cuz those randoms are just bad. and will give you know MU XP, in my experience, all the randoms on BETA are FT1 ers. and that doesnt give either player to learn from mistakes and adjust to eachothers tendencies.

just a tip... i wouldnt mide using some of the characters on the beta with ya.. i am mediocre at best with all of the cast on beta... Mileena is my strongest on there, but my main is not on there .

and my new main's Smoke and Cyrax, and Alien havent come out.. ive always used the Robots, and have been a huge fan of Smoke since MK2 tree pop outs, in living forest.

my Gamer Tag is :

ESG Jagged on EO BETA.

hit me up on XB1 and set up a party chat and we can go lab some shit, or play a few sets:)

my name is the same on Both noraml and BETA, i didnt choose another sign in for beta.

Matix218

Get over here!
Scorpion is definitely better, I think people are exaggerating the buffs a little though. His biggest weakness was bad armor, and it's still pretty bad, just not horrible.

His offense isn't as good as D'Vorah or Quan, so at best he'll be upper mid tier. Probably mid.

Nobody mentioned standing 3? I think it's his biggest buff outside his f2 in Ninjutsu easily.
Do you know of anything we could punish with f3 before that we cant punish now since they nerfed the range in the beta? I imagine standing 3 can get some of those things but it won't reach as far as old f3

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
Do you know of anything we could punish with f3 before that we cant punish now since they nerfed the range in the beta? I imagine standing 3 can get some of those things but it won't reach as far as old f3
Did f3 really get a range nerf? Idk I thought it looked the same. I've been able to punish Sub's b2 with standing 3 even more efficiently than old f3. Scorpion's f2 in Ninjutsu is very easy to punish now with standing 3. Raiden's EX Shocker as well...that's just so far. I'm sure it'll make a ton of things that were tough to punish much easier to punish now.

Standing 3 is also very good AA. It's very good for anti-crossups with characters that have longer jump arcs too where uppercut or standing 1 fails. Jumping at Scorpion is scarier than ever now.

Last edited:

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash

Yeah I've seen you mention st3 and I agree. You brought a few things to my attention when you talked about it. I just wish I had a training mode to really experiment.

I think Scorpions armor is more functional than characters like Quan and DVorah. It's risky but it's fast and actually works to interrupt pressure and wake up. DVorah's is just so slow and can be crushed by any fast strings.

Matix218

Get over here!
Did f3 really get a range nerf? Idk I thought it looked the same. I've been able to punish Sub's b2 with standing 3 even more efficiently than old f3. Scorpion's f2 in Ninjutsu is very easy to punish now with standing 3. Raiden's EX Shocker as well...that's just so far. I'm sure it'll make a ton of things that were tough to punish much easier to punish now.

Standing 3 is also very good AA. It's very good for anti-crossups with characters that have longer jump arcs too where uppercut or standing 1 fails. Jumping at Scorpion is scarier than ever now.
I have not been using s3 for anti air or anti cross up. I will have to add that to my game

JTB123

>>R2 - BF4 = Unblockable.
I must have missed something, that have they done to his S3? Range or start up buff I'm assuming?

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
I must have missed something, that have they done to his S3? Range or start up buff I'm assuming?
Standing 3 is now 7 frame startup and now has +20 something hitstun, but does 5% initial damage to probably compensate.

Also I was watching Mitsu use F3 to punish some things on his stream and to be honest the reach didnt look nerfed at all....

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
The best buffs are Standing 3 universally and B4 in Ninjutsu for sure.

But his stagger pressure also got better, even though ppl still think Inferno is crap, you get to apply some stagger without depending too much on variation specific specials to stay safe, since 21 is now +2, 11 is now +1, and standing 3 as anti-air he will have a better control from his opponents up close, specially in Ninjutsu.

besides, he got his 214~tp, 214~extp back, i just dunno why they did add double flame aura and took it away again if 214 is not a guaranteed pressure.

JTB123

>>R2 - BF4 = Unblockable.
Standing 3 is now 7 frame startup and now has +20 something hitstun, but does 5% initial damage to probably compensate.

Also I was watching Mitsu use F3 to punish some things on his stream and to be honest the reach didnt look nerfed at all....
Damn that's quite a nice buff. I dont remember the range being that great on S3 but you can get some very good damage from S3-FBC punishes so I'm eager to test that.

And thank fuck they left his F3 alone.

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
If he is top 10 after all of the beta changes he will probably be floating around the 9-10 spot, and that's IF he ends up top 10. He is better and I like the changes but I highly doubt you will see a scorpion player win a major after the final kp2 patching
Don't forget he has good frames now so his neutral may not be the greatest atleast when he gets in he doesn't give away his turn after one string like he used too

But he is not gonna be raping tourneys

Tweedy

Noob
A character isn't bad if it doesn't show up in tournaments. How many Dragon's Fire Liu Kang's made top 8s at major? Zero ever?

I think history has shown that on this game, bar maybe release Tanya, players do most of the work, not the characters. If that weren't the case, every tier list would just be a list of who Sonicfox feels like using from greatest to least. And in that case, Kung Lao would be F tier, since I've never seen him use him, so i'm fine with that.

Kung Lao F tier

trollface boyz

FOXSOLID

Noob
I always felt the takedown maneuver was a waste and a bit of a lame move. Scorpion needs a safe ex "get off me" maneuver and I never understood why they wouldn't give him the flaming back flip kick as a special again. In MK9 it was an ender to a string that was never used beyond the first 2 hits to set up his vortex, in MKX it's included in his EX ground Teleport and combo breaker.

Move looks better and would likely function better than the takedown does. Perhaps also a form of anti air too? Who knows, but I would make that trade in a second.

TyCarter35

Bonafide Jax scrub
Scorpion is much more viable with the changes. Hellfire will hv insane pressure and Ninjutsu's f2 being a tool for opponents to fear as the second hit is an overhead and b4 already being one of the best armor breakers in game is completely safe on block. Ninjutsu can potentially top 10 with great armor breakers and good AA and now more options to open up a character