What's new

Question - Reptile How do you stop Reptile?

omooba

fear the moobs
Wow. We're finally here. This could actually be the worst post I've ever seen regarding MKX. I'll keep my eye out and let you know if something ever tops you off, but for now, this is it.
thought you were just being petty then i read the post and i'm like why do these kind of people exist

Syzoth

The last Saurian from Zaterra - Syzoth - Reptile
Wow. We're finally here. This could actually be the worst post I've ever seen regarding MKX. I'll keep my eye out and let you know if something ever tops you off, but for now, this is it.
So what do you disagree with? Because the only part that is up for discussion is that he has arguably no winning matchups. Go read his match up thread and general thread you will see this thought isn't uncommon. All I said was punishable is punishable and you definitely do want to spend most of your time stand blocking. Reptile's low options are a slide that does 6ish percent(punishable) b3 which is solid, but is 16% meterless and can get 30% for a bar. It has a knack for low profiling alot of attacks which is why I use it over the slightly better ranged F3. F3. Which does a bit less off of memory at the price of better range. A 7 frame low poke d3 which is annoying and used to get you to do exactly what a Reptile wants which is low block. If you ever see Reptile's tongue you know the incoming attack is a low. It's his only low starter meterless. Leads to 30%.

Now his OH options. F4,2,1 which leads into 28% with acid ball/gas pressure or 32/33% with slide ender for additional corner push. Ofcourse you can end the combo short with a grab to put them into a corner (if you didn't want to switch sides) or you can also dash f42 spit for 28% that lands the opponent one step in from full screen (long pounce range). His b2 which gives options as well. You can Rc into f421 acidball pressure or f2,1,grab for knockdown pressure. On knockdown a Reptile can dash for a bit of meter and to switch an opponents inputs and then additionally crossover if he or she chooses. Keep in mind cross overs and njp are OH options as well. Lastly he can Ex pounce and get 22ish precent ending in slide or a bit less ending in acidball pressure. He could regular pounce but the hitbox for pounce is small and has a decent chance for input error. Safe on block but on whiff you're fucked.
So I stand by saying you should stand block a Reptile. Spit is duckable, puddle is ineffective. All I said were negative are in fact negative. Characters with slides or teleports can go beneath or around acidballs. He asked for how to beat Reptile. Not for a complete Reptile analysis. He has some of the be st staggering and some antizoning tools. He can get in if somebody hesitates and has some of my favorite mind games across all video games I've played. He has his offense but that's not what was in question. So once more. What do you disagree with?

Ill use my low options everytime if see there standing to much in first round I think thats bad advice when people say stand block rep cause f3 and b3 are great and you can be safe outside of nimble or somewhat safe not exactky positive with b3 ex ffb for 28 or 30 maybee less forgot or for set up and really if your in nox you can b34 enough to open up with overhead and nimble its 50/50 tool cause you can get big dam off low starter and should be just as afraid for both low and overhead my opinion thats all it is..im no way at a competitive lvl I just think you should worry about the low options as well cause they are there and very viable

Tweedy

Noob
On the beta it's likely 5-5 Lao vs Reptile. Before I could see Reptile vs Lao being in Lao's favor. Just my opinion.

There's no way Reptile has no winning match ups. Even if he doesn't have very many, the character is solid enough to go even with most of the cast, even if he isn't top tier.

I've played a friend who uses Reptile. In my opinion he's top tier. He's got everything. Good damage. Amazing pokes. Mix ups. EVERYTHING. How do you stop a character that is safe on everything but his dash? He's got great armor. He seems a bit extreme. What are his bad match ups? What or who destroys him? Leave your comments below and any advice is appreciated. I use Liu Kang Dragons Fire and A-List. I don't think Cage does well with Reptile. Liu Kang for me gets beaten by Reptiles SAFE ARMORED moves. And he loses the air game.
What safe armored moves does he do? I need to find out what those are. ;)

Okay man Grandmaster Sub-Zero is the easiest choice to learn. Most of the time a swift jump back normal works great for Reptile (Outspace, like someone said) Armored moves are great on him during his pressure. Most Reptile's will stutter a two hit string then go for mixup or more pressure. Don't worry too much about Reptile breaking your armor in pressure either. Most characters he can't do it, even with 12. To punish Slippery Slide, step forward after blocking then full combo. I dunno what else to say really. His damage output is nothing like some of the other characters in the game. Jax, Sonya, and plenty of other characters out damage him meterless and with meter; this is off their safe mixups.. Lmao yup safe 50/50's

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
There Is no true way to fight Reptile, he is one of the few characters that is played 100 different ways.

The common way to defeat reptile is to pick up GM Sub, or anybody with a good mid/ Low projectile. Reptile also struggles with characters with quick startup teleports (Mileena, Scorpion Takeda..etc..)

Most reptiles are risky, my style of play is very risky, so you better punish to make me slow down my offense.

@G4S J360
@OFIDYAN
@THTB does this sound about right?

NYCj360

i Use a modded cyber now
Being a nut in the air also stops him.
Lol brother people have no idea. Jumping around and jump back normals are the death of Reptile in footsie ranges!
I keep seeing other reptile mains say this. i don't usually have issues with anyone jumping because i tend to spit or forceball if they are jumping backwards. Unless its scorp then i just kind of let him and bait a teleport lol. But for the most part players cant be nutty against reptile in the air because his ground options are pretty good.

Im just curious, which characters can just jump all over reptile?

John the Savage

"Safeties disabled, combat mode engaged."
Is EX invisibility a safe armor for reptile? I see some people say it is and others say he has no safe armor.

NYCj360

i Use a modded cyber now
I would say characters with the longer range on the jump 1s. Kotal, Sonya, Shinnok etc.

Me personally I have been AA with standing 1 alot lately. It seems to be pretty consistent.
Yeah they all get ex clawed or b4 on jump in. When jumping away they all get spit on. I really only see scorp or mileena being a problem on jumps. And kung lao if he does a max distance jump 2 into pressure., its hard to ex claw right.

Last edited:

MadeOfMetal

Kenshi Srubtastic,Cyrax, Special Forces Mains

I agree with you I GOT HANDS. It's difficult stopping this character. Alot of ignorant people in this thread.
reptile is very hard to stop, but with liu i think its possible, the fireball pressure should beat out his gravity balls, and his spit can be ducked, just gotta watchout for his OH leap and 6 frame slide... don't know if u can consistantly but when he tries to gap close with that leap, you can DB2 armor to launch him right back out before he fully lands. just note that your B1 will not stop his slide and B3~DB4B

id say you would have to keep him out with liu.. johnny on the other hand i think u should be able to pressure him out.. don't you have some ex link you can add some push back to bait the F21 setup? and i think you have faster walkback with johnny than reptile?

kinda like the kotal sonya match we had... dat walk speed with sonya was dope.

I Am The LK

Here my battle cry (Meow)

reptile is very hard to stop, but with liu i think its possible, the fireball pressure should beat out his gravity balls, and his spit can be ducked, just gotta watchout for his OH leap and 6 frame slide... don't know if u can consistantly but when he tries to gap close with that leap, you can DB2 armor to launch him right back out before he fully lands. just note that your B1 will not stop his slide and B3~DB4B

id say you would have to keep him out with liu.. johnny on the other hand i think u should be able to pressure him out.. don't you have some ex link you can add some push back to bait the F21 setup? and i think you have faster walkback with johnny than reptile?

kinda like the kotal sonya match we had... dat walk speed with sonya was dope.
I'm gonna ask @ESG Jagged for help. He's a 3 time evo champion. And a 15 time WWE champion.

NYCj360

i Use a modded cyber now
Dont get me wrong, not all characters can just Jump brainlessly and beat him. They also have to have other tools that compliment the strategy. Such as shinnok, kung lao, tanya,
Yeah tanya is tough, there is too much random factor to everything she does. Her ground and air pressure can be delayed which i think is dumb. I agree with kung lao as well.

I'm curious though, you may definitely have more shinnok experience than me. What does he do that makes it hard for reptile to anti air him?

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
Yeah tanya is tough, there is too much random factor to everything she does. Her ground and air pressure can be delayed which i think is dumb. I agree with kung lao as well.

I'm curious though, you may definitely have more shinnok experience than me. What does he do that makes it hard for reptile to anti air him?
Its not so much aa but to get on him. His back dash and Jump back 1 are a nightmare to deal with when dealing with oki pressure/ post hell sparks/ after he staggers certain strings

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
You can make a fair argument for him winning 0 matchups. You can zone him out. You can outspace him. You can realize his low option has a huge tell so you want to stand block. You can also just onslaught an offense that he won't be able to escape from.

His dash is punishable, his f4,2,1 string is punishable throughout, his slide is punishable, in most cases gas or nimble Is punishable. Acid balls are almost always punishable. His enhanced claw is a med and punishable (also very breakable by some characters) Spit is duckable. Pounce has a big tell and overall his damage is circumstancial. Lower than average in corner and mid minus tight execution combos. A blocked low poke is your turn to press buttons. F2,1, grab is negative. His jumpin is beat by most characters AA. Acidballs aren't a zoning tool despite popular belief. He is meter dependent in all variations. Losing matchups IMO
Sub
Lui
Shinnok
Takeda
Cassie
Kung Lao
Scorpion has a knack of being out of range of ideal punishes.
JC

Reptile has his uses. Trust me. I win much more than most people expect from a Reptile. The thing about Rep is you are beat mentally from the get go so you panic. Stay calm. Block acidballs or slide beneath (tp punish?) Don't overrespect.

So many people talking about his slide which at full screen is reactable. Very punishable and doesn't low profile as much as you'd expect. Ofcourse that is at full screen but if they are spending a bar for 8% at any other time just be glad he wasted a bar.