What's new

How do you people bare to play on 360 controllers?

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
Sorry if these seems a little irrelevant, but I'm pissed and I need to vent.

A couple of weeks ago the fightpad I usually play MK on broke, I decided to hold off playing MK until I get a new one. It's been 3 weeks since it was ordered and I have a tournament coming up a week today so I decided its probably best if I just grit my teeth and get some practice on the 360 controller. Never in my life have I been so angry at a game, its fucking impossibe to anything on that pile of shit. When I go to do f4 I get a jump kick, d1 becomes gotcha/anti air grab, when I do dbf3 for Jax' ground pound I get a standing kick or close/mid ground pound, but worst of all when I go to fire an energy wave Jax just stands there and starts uppercutting from fullscreen. I played about 7 matches on ranked tonight all of which caused me to rage to the heavens. Each match I got progressivle worse as I was blinded by hatred, I decided it was time to quit when I got babalitied by a baraka player who did nothing but blade charge and managed to win due to my inability to do fuck all. This post probably makes me sound like a cunt but right now I couldn't give two fucks.

This could not have happened at a worse time, I just hope my fightpad comes before EGL next week.

/livejournal

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
While the 360 controller sucks for mk in itself, alot of it comes down to how much you're used to something. I know people who can play on 360 controller fine. Something that happened to me was, I got the ps3 version of the fightpad I have for 360, and because the pad wasn't worn in it was much more stiff, so I had the same problems with jump punches coming out when I try f2, down-forward attacks becoming much more difficult, etc.

PND_Mustard

"More stealthful than the night"
Premium Supporter
dont worry man im sure itll get here by next week, what site did you get it off?

catch22

GOD LAO FTW!!!
most people use an adapter and a ps2 controller for it, havent seen anyone in their right state of mind using an actual 360 pad for mk9 lol.

sorry to hear about your stick loss, but i would consider an adapter and a ps2 pad as a backup plan next time :/

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
[MENTION=5442]rev0lver[/MENTION]: Yeah I agree, if you've been playing on something long enough you become adapted to it.
[MENTION=5824]K7L33THA[/MENTION]: That's pretty much what I've ordered, but it has a picture of blanka on the front instead lol.
@Mustard: ebay, it said it would take ~2-3 weeks. I just hope I'm not forced to embaress myself more than I usually would.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
I'm absolutely terrible w 360 pad
I use ps2 pad on ps3 and xbox w adapter for each.

I will not play any other way

BookBurning

Voidwards
Go to Arcade in a Box and never look back. Or get a Madcatz TE Sticks. Sticks all the way man; they last a long long time as well.

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
I do have a stick but I'm just not comfortable with it on MK, too much pad muscle memory for me to overwrite. I plan on using my stick in the future with new games though, umvc3 and sfxt are pretty close to release, and I already use the stick for AE.

PND_Mustard

"More stealthful than the night"
Premium Supporter
it'll be 3 weeks on tuesday, It had shipped over from america about this time last week so it should be here soon.

[MENTION=2]Tim Static[/MENTION]: I'll check 'em out, thanks.
if its almost been 3 weeks then im sure it would be here in time, dont worry man

The 360 pad is crap. I more often than not have to take my time with inputs because if I try to something fast like a d2 or d1, I'll get a special move because of the d-pad. Coupled with online, this makes it damn hard to punish things fast enough or punish at all.

Back forward moves give me jumping back kicks, etc. I feel your pain lol.

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
The 360 pad is crap. I more often than not have to take my time with inputs because if I try to something fast like a d2 or d1, I'll get a special move because of the d-pad. Coupled with online, this makes it damn hard to punish things fast enough or punish at all.

Back forward moves give me jumping back kicks, etc. I feel your pain lol.
Yeah, I figure about 50% of my dashes result in me jumping forward into a damage sandwich. Either the DPad is way too small, or the both of us just have fat thumbs.

Jelan

Aquaman is dead lel
I can do anything in MK with a 360 pad, but with a PS2/3? No way. The common problem is that people don't use it as it should be used. Analog stick for back-forward, QC, jumping and moving back and forth and the d-pad should only be used for dashing and double-back specials. You can play with a 360 controller just as nice as with any other, you just have to get used to it.

CptXecution

Brain Dead Bro
It's all become muscle memory for me. How I use it though is I use the circle to my advantage. A SZ freeze..I SLIDE my finger from down to forward. And iaFB with Lui Kang I press up then keep my finger in the middle and PUSH the circle back then slide it to forward to do the directional. The only handicap I have is remembering to pull the trigger slightly earlier for EX moves.

OZombiePenguinO

Garbage, bro
I use the special D-pad Xbox 360 controller for this game, works wonderfully

But if I HAD to choose between the PS3 and Xbox 360 default controllers, I'd still choose the 360 one. Yeah, it sucks, but I hate using the PS3 controller even more. The difference between the two is that on the 360, you often do diagonals by accident, and on PS3, diagonals are really hard to do PURPOSELY. So yeah, I'd take 360's, aheh

I do have a stick but I'm just not comfortable with it on MK, too much pad muscle memory for me to overwrite. I plan on using my stick in the future with new games though, umvc3 and sfxt are pretty close to release, and I already use the stick for AE.
I'm pretty much the same way, but I can usually still do ok with a stick. One thing that really gives me trouble on a stick though is Kabal's instant air fireball.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
The 360 controller is great as long as you don't use the d-pad. The analog stick is amazing, as well as the rest of buttons, especially the bumpers and shoulder buttons. And you can modify the d-pad several ways. The easiest way is sanding the outer edges of the "circle" where the d-pad sits. You shouldn't have to do that of course, the d-pad should be better. But if it's all you have, it's a very simple way to fix it that doesn't cost you a dime outside of sanding paper.

JacopeX

Playing: Injustice, Persona, Blazblue, and MK
Because I never owned a sony console in my life.

And all the consoles I ever had (Xbox and Sega Genesis) are just like the 360 d pad soooo.....