What's new

How do you feel so far?

Error404

Noob
I'm having fun overall. The stagger meta gets a bit obnoxious at times , but it's waaay better than high/lows and whatever injustice 2 was going for.

Gaxkang

Banned
I'm going to back the train up and circle back to this.

Leveraging FB's doesn't mean you have to spend meter. In some cases it's not even the best option. It can change both how negative a move is and what the pushback is. For example, Raiden has a gap in b31. You could spend meter to U2, but it's -16 on FB. In this case, just save the meter and get a full damage combo just because you release tapped your block button. That advancing string that ends in that scoop all the ST's like to use? That thing is plus on block, but it's negative on FB. You can U2 for a combo if you have the meter, or you can just guarantee he can't abuse plus frames if you don't. You don't need meter for FB's to change things, and it does. MU will likely shift a little when they are in play, but I don't think that's a bad thing.

I most certainly have been Flawless Blocked online.
I've most certainly done it to people online, and it's awesome. When talking about feelings in the game, FB's are pretty good feels.
Yeah as I noted folks are saving their resources for better uses. The tutorial certainly bangs people over the head with spending meter with flawless block...but folks don't use it heh.

Simply using flawless block on its own requires the opponent to do enough hits really...at least two, but ideally for folks is three. A flawless block off one hit is possible...but likely more accidental.
And opponent may not be doing the whole string anyways...the would be flawless blocker can get thrown off by that quick. same goes for someone who is just gonna normal block the whole way.

But you must be running into a flawless block fraternity heh and where the online quality doesn't make folks leery of letting go of block.

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
The only other fighting games I've played are MKX and Injustice 2 and to me, this game is significantly better than both.
  • In MKX, nearly every character had their own flavor of cheapness and to me, the game never promoted me to play skillfully. Even if I clearly got outplayed by somebody, I could take them to the corner as Raiden and just mix. I've won quite a few matches just based on hitting B2 once and getting a 45-50% combo. MKX was much more creative combo-wise, but at the cost of my wins almost never feeling earned.
  • Injustice 2 was a big upgrade but even then you'd have characters with pretty potato gameplans (Atrocitus). I also didn't like MB B3s and MB F3s in that game. They were an easy way to get a full combo at pretty much any point in the match.
In MK11, I feel like I need to actively get better at playing the game in order to beat a better opponent. I know I know, top tiers exist and are better than other characters, but the gap has never been this small.

I'm honestly loving this game.
I like the aesthetic they are going for in the last 2 games, I like the more "mature" (if you can call it that way) optic, and like the design of almost all the characters (tbh, the ones i like the less are subbie and scorp).
The online is fine, but that's it, it's playable, but it needs some improvement. It was way batter on MKX on its final patch (talking pc here). Still, even with the connection not being that good, it's normally fine, except for the damn wifi, but There's a lot of threads about that already.
I like all the collectibles, the brutals, the different intros/ends/taunts, the lot of skins, etc. If you don't grind like a madman and just get your gold playing, it¡s pretty fun. However, I would like some rewards for your character for playing it, like for example leveling characters up as you play them and unlocking some skins you can only get this way. Would be kool.
The gameplay is damn fun, I'm even used already to fighting Scorpion. Still the most boring character to play, but meh.
The ranked league is a good way to put on some rewards, and i really like the idea behind it. Just gotta find a way to deal with cable pluggers, and it's near perfect.
About the characters, I can't talk that much, because i have found my true love for this game, and have only played Cetrion for like 90% of my playtime. This number will probably only increase, as I really love her a lot and enjoy playing as her. I'm normally not a character loyalist in Mk games, but i will make an exception.

About the single player, the towers of time are sometimes fun, sometimes a chore to get a skin you want. I don't worry too much, because i mostly play online, and they are much better after the fix. I bruteforced my way on Cetrion towers before they did the fix and was annoying, but the requirement are aceptable now.
About the story, it's beautifully done and I like the overall story. However, I don't like the whole Liu Kang god defeating Kronika. I thought the most logical thing to do was Raiden convincing Cetrion of stopping Kronika, and both of them defeating her. Keep in mind i wasn't biased when i developed this opinion, as I always play the story right after getting the game. I still didn't love her this much, just was more logical and cool for me. At least all Raiden prayers would have an use after all.

Snoop88

Noob
Heh... I just thought that everyone who would like to share their opinion about the game should also write who is their main or what chars do they use mostly. I'm just a little bit curious about correlation between enjoyment of the game and main character you use. ;)

Also you could mention if you play game only casually or at least semi-competitively.

Gaxkang

Banned
Heh... I just thought that everyone who would like to share their opinion about the game should also write who is their main or what chars do they use mostly. I'm just a little bit curious about correlation between enjoyment of the game and main character you use. ;)

Also you could mention if you play game only casually or at least semi-competitively.
I've mostly played Shao Kahn, Frost, and Kano...a lot of Kano lately. I mess around some with Shang since he's DLC and is Shang.

I guess I am a semi-casual heh. ;)

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Oh there's a lot of negative thin
This game's lack of variety and the overabundance of the same characters and the same strategies combined make for a very boring and idiomatic
This is an argument that I don’t really understand. Skarlet plays nothing like Scorpion. Jacqui plays nothing like Cetrion. Geras and Sonya play nothing alike. And absolutely nobody else plays like Baraka or Kabal. There’s a playstyle for everybody — rushdown, mixup, zoning, footsies, etc and many of the characters are nothing alike.

DeftMonk

Noob
This is an argument that I don’t really understand. Skarlet plays nothing like Scorpion. Jacqui plays nothing like Cetrion. Geras and Sonya play nothing alike. And absolutely nobody else plays like Baraka or Kabal. There’s a playstyle for everybody — rushdown, mixup, zoning, footsies, etc and many of the characters are nothing alike.
I think hes trying to say everyone plays in this way: use footsies, get d2 krushing blow off throw attempt. Use shimmys etc. You have to realize looots of NRS players are super mad spending their time in lab purely learning execution for long ass juggles is of no use in this game to any character.

Side note: anyone hate the way erron black was made in this game? In mkx he had this western gunslinger/mad max rated R merc for hire vibe and now he might as well be in a loony toons cartoon.

ketch0

Noob
I think hes trying to say everyone plays in this way: use footsies, get d2 krushing blow off throw attempt. Use shimmys etc. You have to realize looots of NRS players are super mad spending their time in lab purely learning execution for long ass juggles is of no use in this game to any character.

Side note: anyone hate the way erron black was made in this game? In mkx he had this western gunslinger/mad max rated R merc for hire vibe and now he might as well be in a loony toons cartoon.
This is why I'm kinda glad that Takeda didn't make the cut cause they would have just probably fucked up his character like they did Erron. I'm surprised his fatality isn't dropping an anvil on your head that has "Acme" written on the side.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I'm really enjoying the game. I've found plenty of characters that have tweaked my interest. The tournaments have had some pretty hype matches, there's been solid character diversity at the top competitive level, I feel like there's a decent amount of depth of options, I feel like character balance is in line with how most fighting games are. I feel great.

I also don't play this game 24/7 which probably helps me avoid getting burnt out.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
This is probably the most half assed game drop NRS has done tbh.

Half the roster is incomplete based on how THEY deemed them (tourney variations)

the other half is overly oppressive.

i'm 90% convinced that there was no communication on how ability slots and KBs should work. You have Scorpion's teleport which can be MB and done in the air as a base move. Noob has to spend TWO slots to get the MB and the Air teleport. There are other examples of this within the roster that just doesnt' make sense.
You have Geras who has 5 easily done Kbs that ALL do 300 damage or more. You have Noob who has to LAND 10 shadow moves to get a 200 damage Kb.

The requirements should of been a standard across characters. The snowflake (in house jokes) KB reqs are just not fun. "Must land when someone is stand blocking" is probably a good req IF THE CHARACTER HAD A VIABLE OH IN HIS KIT!!!!!! It is a shame there isn't any common sense applied to anything.

The krypt and the loot is a massive joke.

KL was clearly just "well we need something because we had nothing."

The game itself is fun, i just don't like being in beta until a year in after release.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
I’m enjoying the game other than the standard NRS nonsense of some characters having every tool while other characters have very few tools. Same with the KB imbalance between characters like Geras and JC.

My only major gripes are how Kombat League rewards WiFi warrior rage-quitters and how awful Fatal Blows are. Good god, I fucking hate Fatal Blows. Like, if anything makes me drop the game, it will be my hatred of Fatal Blows.

The only other thing I dislike is the heavy throw meta, which kind of goes hand-in-hand with the characters’ reliance on having strong mid kombo-starters. Against characters like Kano, D’Vorah, and others that rely heavily on throws but lack a good mid starter, you can neutral crouch much more safely and open them up with d2 KBs. But the strong characters that don’t even need to rely on throws are naturally stronger with them since you’re not going to be neutral-crouching against a Geras or Cassie.

Oh, and fuck the grindy single-player content. I own the game on PS4 and PC, and refuse to waste my time grinding that shit out on both. Looks like it’s default skins for me until NRS gives an option to just pay them to unlock skins.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
If I'm being 100% honest.....I'm incredibly bored with the game already. I sit there and open practice mode and look at the roster, and I don't want to play anyone (aside from Shao Kahn, who feels so basic and unfinished to me, like many other characters. I won't even get into the fact that I basically play entire sets without ever triggering any of my KB's because it's Shao Kahn).

I don't think NRS ever planned on having set variations, and it shows. I really don't know what they were thinking, but it's like they just assumed people could build their own variations, but forgot about competitive tournaments and they fact that it all needed to be balanced. Because of that, NRS released a game with only 2 tournament variations per character, many of which are shit and completely useless.

I also find the top tiers in this game to be so mind-numbingly boring to watch and play. I honestly can't think of any characters that are super fun to watch, honestly. Take NinjaKilla's Liu Kang, for example. Watching that kid play MKX was unreal. Watching Liu Kang is MK11 makes me want to just launch the disc across my room.

I don't love MK11 as of right now. I think it has a ton of potential, but I don't have very much fun playing it or watching it currently. Viennality was on yesterday and I barely bothered watching the top 8. Erron Black, Geras, Sonya all make my brain shut down when I see them on stream. Everyone shit on the 50/50 fest that was MKX, but I don't think watching people guess between a mid or a throw endlessly is very exciting either.

I love MK and I want to love this game. I'm really hoping upcoming changes and DLC bring a spark to the game for me, but right now I'm feeling the same way I did with INJ2. It just never clicked for me. I want to love this game like I loved MK9, INJ1 and MKX.

On a positive note, I absolutely love the way anti-airs feel in this game. It's one of the only things that keep me coming back.

Last edited:

Samsara

Resident Cynic
Theres nothing to discover or master with a character. They're all so basic. Almost all complexity is gone. Loss of cancel mechanics really hurt imo. D'Vorah just isnt as fun and Sub-Zero plays like a moron.

I like messing around in the lab. Spent 100s of hours learning so many variants in X. You mess around for 1 hour in 11 and you have 95% of mechanics down. Rest is just matchup knowledge.

I remember when everyone figured out Dvorah could convert off of a double njp in the corner and re-launch with D1 and end with tons of damage in venomous. Fingers blistered from doing b1 cancels om pad.

Or figuring out optimal corner setups with the ice clone or shatter combos with grandmaster. Post patch unbreakable conversions. Fun stuff.

All that shit is gone and they tried to make up for it by saying "hey guys we have footsies now---- just like any other decent fighting game!"

The game is not bad. It's just boring. I hope Nightwolf and Sindel bring a ton to the table.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Theres nothing to discover or master with a character. They're all so basic. Almost all complexity is gone. Loss of cancel mechanics really hurt imo. D'Vorah just isnt as fun and Sub-Zero plays like a moron.

I like messing around in the lab. Spent 100s of hours learning so many variants in X. You mess around for 1 hour in 11 and you have 95% of mechanics down. Rest is just matchup knowledge.

I remember when everyone figured out Dvorah could convert off of a double njp in the corner and re-launch with D1 and end with tons of damage in venomous. Fingers blistered from doing b1 cancels om pad.

Or figuring out optimal corner setups with the ice clone or shatter combos with grandmaster. Post patch unbreakable conversions. Fun stuff.

All that shit is gone and they tried to make up for it by saying "hey guys we have footsies now---- just like any other decent fighting game!"

The game is not bad. It's just boring. I hope Nightwolf and Sindel bring a ton to the table.
I'm beginning to see that a lot, NRS had the try-hard syndrome and took away all the complexity with how little combo strings and pop-ups there are overall. The neutral and footsies are good, and I don't want this to be like IJ2, but give us different damage paths to chose from. The only reason I still enjoy playing Cassie is because she's one of the few characters that have a lot of options regarding combos.

I feel like all the top tiers are the characters they tried to add depth too, but they ended up giving them every good mechanic from the game while keeping it from the others.

There's a problem when I can lab Cetrion for 15 min and win online with her.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter

I think there still a ton of stuff to lab, possibly more than any other fighting game. The difference is that instead of spending hours labbing your character, you need to spend time labbing the other characters. This is due to the flawless block mechanic. It seems that learning how to play against a character is far more important than learning how to play your own, once you’ve mastered the basics of your character.

As far as the D’Vorah stuff, have you not seen the tech threads posted by @Under_The_Mayo and @Second Saint ? It seems to me she still has plenty of setups and tech to lab.

Wrenchfarm

Lexcorp Proprietary Technologies
I like the game, but it's hard to ignore the obvious elephants in the room.

Top tier characters having access to every single tool, every privilege, and sometimes having the ability to ignore neutral in this supposedly footsie based fighter is mind boggling.

I don't know how you have a cohesive design team makes characters like Johnny Cage, Kitana, and Kotal, and then puts them up against characters like Sonya and Erron Black. You have a huge bottom and middle tier of characters who either lack meaningful mix-ups or have limited reward mixes, have slow, deliberate mids, and need to meet very specific conditions (conditions that are often beyond the player's control) to access KBs. They all seem like they are playing the same game.

Then you have characters like Erron and Sonya who have massive, full damage mixes they can choose to make safe at will, fast oppressive mids, or characters like Geras who is likely to see the full rotation of his KBs in every match just by doing what the character naturally does.

I don't know if it's a case of one hand not knowing what the other is doing, or a deliberate design choice, but I'm so sick of NRS games always having these obviously dominant characters that render a huge portion of the cast obsolete.

Blazeglory88

50/50 Savant - Lore>Gore
Gameplay is solid, though lacking a bit of variety. Story mode was really good. Graphics are a technical achievement.

I do not like where the franchise is headed, stylistically, though. I hate this focus on "realism", when MK should be as absurd as possible. Practical armor is irrelevant simply due to the level damage these characters take. Costume design should be memorable, colorful and vibrant, like it was in MK9.

Honestly, the costume design just puts me to sleep. Ugly color swaps and lack of identity. I literally don't care about unlocking extra costumes because I would never use 95% of them. That's a massive problem to me. There's so much to unlock, and I should want to, but I have absolutely no desire to. Such a large part of this package is being rewarded with gear... yet it might as well not even exist, as far as I'm concerned.

I also hate this overuse of firearms. Up to MK3, we literally only had one character that used guns, Stryker, and that was because he was supposed to be an ordinary cop just discovering his potential. Why is Johnny Cage using a gun in story mode? The guy can throw plasma. Now Sonya's rings are something she can only do with her gloves? I thought she had the ability to project energy. Cassie using guns also makes her feel more generic... wish she did like a finger-gun that shot a combination of Sonya's rings and Johnny's plasma. Would totally fit her style and be way more fun.

Bring back the bright, impractical costumes, don't be afraid to show females' skin, stop making characters more grounded in reality, give them absurd powers, and bring back the trademark comedy (babalities, friendships, goofy secrets.) MK has lost part of its artistic soul and feels watered down in terms of style.
Could not agree more. You're right MK 11 doesnt have the same charm or appeal that MK 9 had and its more than obvious that PC culture and attempts at adhering to the idiots of gaming journalism have soured what once made MK a great franchise. No more taking risks and turning heads. Now it seems they would rather fall in line, play it , and with people like Steve 'realism' Beran making these choices I have a feeling we will never go back to those days, unfortunately.

Gore just doesnt do it anymore, and with the bland costumes and reductions of JUST female characters femininity (P.S women with C cups actually exist Beran) while the males remain as buff and masculine as ever it only further emphasizes the normalization and streamlining of a franchise that was supposed to be anything but.

(Tym does not like phones holyy)

Bingo. You got exactly what I was trying to say.

Also, there should NEVER be a time where a KB is predicated off of zoning. Why should anyone play Her Highness Kitana over Zonya's variation which allows her to KB on the second meter burned projectile and gains an air projectile which KBs as well?

Why is Johnny Cage's leap frog of doom which is already horrendous for start-up frames and the hitbox literally goes over the opponents head, even considered a KB and has no reward afterwards for it? And don't even get me started how insanely stupid it is to give Shao Kahn a KB requirement off of a taunt which NO ONE will ever allow in a real match (hell, Medium AI isn't letting you get that either!)

ketch0

Noob
I prefer MKX over MK11. You had so much bullshit to deal with in MKX but I just found it way more fun and the roster felt complete in MKX even before the DLC packs.

I actually miss the run button from MKX but that's because I'm just not a fan of how neutral based this game. Call me a scrub or w/e but I don't need every fighting game to be footsie/neutral heavy. Sometimes I just want to play some over the top shit and MK always fit that role for me. If I want my footsie fix then I'll just play Tekken.

I prefer MKX over MK11. You had so much bullshit to deal with in MKX but I just found it way more fun and the roster felt complete in MKX even before the DLC packs.

I actually miss the run button from MKX but that's because I'm just not a fan of how neutral based this game. Call me a scrub or w/e but I don't need every fighting game to be footsie/neutral heavy. Sometimes I just want to play some over the top shit and MK always fit that role for me. If I want my footsie fix then I'll just play Tekken.
That right there... You know you just committed a sin on here right? I FIRMLY agree with everything you just stated but you know we're on TYM so expect some "stfu and get gud on another game, noob" or some other idiotic comments like that.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Gameplay is solid, though lacking a bit of variety. Story mode was really good. Graphics are a technical achievement.

I do not like where the franchise is headed, stylistically, though. I hate this focus on "realism", when MK should be as absurd as possible. Practical armor is irrelevant simply due to the level damage these characters take. Costume design should be memorable, colorful and vibrant, like it was in MK9.
I thought costume/character design was really lacking depth in MK9 though. Most of the characters seemed pretty boring and shallow. Characters in MK11 have a lot more depth to me. I really prefer MK11 character design to MK9 any day.

Groove Heaven

Jobber-baron
I like it a lot but I have a few issues:

-the wakeup system. MKX was too offensive-oriented in terms of oki and the gate swung a little too far in the other direction. Also inputting wakeups is weirdly strict, I wish they would add like a frame to the window you can input your wakeup.
-d2s aren't very consistent anti-airs and often lose to jump kicks, fix the hitbox and hurtbox on them plz
-my absolute biggest problem is the poke game. Machine gun d1s on characters like Geras have answers but they're still a trash aspect of an otherwise good game
-can't believe they kept the 50/50 throws. I can't even talk about that one without ranting

This is all about actually playing the game competitively. I still have a ton of QoL issues and the online experience is pretty subpar imo.