What's new

How did you get your nickname?

Robotic

Gentleman.
I have been using Ric Magnum (video game handle) since 1997. I use it for every game and any create-a-character that I make in games. Back in 1997 WWF Warzone came out for PS1. I was creating a character and could not think of a cool name for said character. I stumbled across an old Magnum P.I. poster with Tom Selleck on it. And it hit me: Magnum is a fucking awesome word and would be an even more awesome last name for a character. It's not a word easily forgotten. Then I had to come up with a first name. I settled on Ric just because it seemed to go with Magnum fairly well. Plus, I could switch it to Dic if I wanted too (which I often times do), which brings up all kinds of uncomfortable sexual conotations lol. So it was done. The name was created and fit well with the image of my create a character on WWF Warzone. After that it just stuck. I used the handle in every game. It is a memorable name and has withstood the test of time lol. Ric Magnum, Dic Magnum, SlickDicMagnum and Richard M. Magnum have all been used as my video game aliases and will continue to be used until I die.
Can't go wrong with Magnum P.I. as inspiration for anything!

N0rdicNinja

Digital Pro Sports
Mine actually came thanks to a Halo 1 LAN party back in the day.

Let me preface this by saying I'm a decently large man (6'3'' @ about 230lbs) who's proud of his Nordic heritage, and I constantly make my friends aware of this fact.

Like I said, we were LANing Halo1 one day and I kept sneaking up on one of my friends Meleeing him in the back. It wasn't due to my skill per say it just kept working out that way. By the end of the match I think I got him close to 10 times. Well close to the end of the match after finishing him off yet a gain with a smack to the back of the head he stood up and yelled across the room "Damnit Steve! You're like a Ninja, a huge fucking Nordic Ninja!"

It stuck ever since. =P

I gathered my name from my Quake days, I'd sit in dark corners and surprise the living crap out of anyone and blew them away. Back then I went by EbonyAssassin (Because in Morrowind I was an assassin in ebony armor) but I swapped to Shadowclaimer after that and its stuck. It fits in about any game (Fantasy, Modern, Futuristic) and so I kept it.

By all accounts if I was playing based on my name I'd be playing Noob in MK, but I love my Ermac too much..

SpyderJ

Noob
I feel all lame n shit. Lol every one of my friends, and their families included, know me as spider. The spider part is just from myself enjoying parkour. I enjoyed running up stuff and scaling buildings n shit. Sooooo ya, heh my nickname is the name that i go by in my daily life, and how anyone that I know addresses me. As for the J in my name, it meens jew. Lol, even though im barely even a jew ( dont follow the religion at all ) I didnt give myself the name, my friend who at the time was very sick and drugged up on morphine did XD

leek

Noob
Well long story.. but here goes.. I like Metallica. :sick:

Wish I chose Pink Floyd or Pantera though to be honest..if it had to be a band.

Although, most recently(considering I'm still in highschool) it's become sort of a tradition for me to walk up and down the hallways shouting Full Metal Jacket quotes at the lower classmen. My friends call me Sgt/Sgt Hartman/Pvt Joker.

Damnit .. can I rename my account? :facepalm:

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
My name is Jon, I teach 2d Animation at The Art Institutes. Some people started calling me Johnny2d. I love drawing and 2d animation and grew up with sprite based fighting games, obviously mk, but also sf, and fatal fury, samurai showdown. 2d animation has influenced my life in so many ways that I chose Johnny2d and ran with it.

This thread is a fun read btw :)

The name outlawnightmare comes from when i was about 15 and had a habit me mischief making. We would use code names for walkie talkie communication on our nights of plunder just in case someone was on the same frequency. Mine was outlaw and oz partner in crime was nightmare. Tada

Phantom

Kitana Prime aka MK's Rated R Superstar
Phantom: Something apparently sensed but having no physical reality.

Me being an online player, I metaphorically have no physical reality to anyone I've played.

But you can sense when I whoop dat ass! (...If I do lol)

phage

Noob
Both my handle here and my gamertag stem from a weird fascination I have with infectious disease. A phage is simply a virus that infects bacteria. My gamertag is a term that comes from a Greg Bear sci-fi novel and it means "thinking cell." A scientist engineers sentient E.coli cells, injects them into his body when he's fired for unauthorized experiments, spreads the resulting disease, and the microbes go on to replace the conscious mind of every human on earth.

Although, most recently(considering I'm still in highschool) it's become sort of a tradition for me to walk up and down the hallways shouting Full Metal Jacket quotes at the lower classmen. My friends call me Sgt/Sgt Hartman/Pvt Joker.

So. Much. Win.

RapZiLLa54

Monster Island Tournaments
Great thread!

Huge Godzilla fan since as long as I can remember and was really into hip-hop back in the day so I just combined the two. I've had this tag for over a decade now and while I constantly consider changing the Rap part out (due to my lack of interest in the music these days) I just can't bring myself to do it lol.

Robotic

Gentleman.
Both my handle here and my gamertag stem from a weird fascination I have with infectious disease. A phage is simply a virus that infects bacteria. My gamertag is a term that comes from a Greg Bear sci-fi novel and it means "thinking cell." A scientist engineers sentient E.coli cells, injects them into his body when he's fired for unauthorized experiments, spreads the resulting disease, and the microbes go on to replace the conscious mind of every human on earth.
Hell of an origin story! That's the point of the thread, I love it!

Jelan

Aquaman is dead lel
When the taint of the internet first reached out for me 9-10 (maybe more) years ago my nick was maxi2000. I thought it sounds cool, and looks cool, but after about 2 years I realised it actually sucks so I came up with the current one and that's how my interwebz friends know me. Even my irl friends call me by that sometimes. It's also funny how most people can't say it right :D .

RampaginDragon

Loses to uppercuts
Well I’m not the only Rampagin. Theres Unicorn, Phoenix, and Fairy. Were just some friends not a clan (though it is humorous when people think so on COD and BFBC2). I changed my tag along with Unicorn after I quit playing Pro Circuit for MW2. I think deep down I’ll always be a FPS 1st and a 2D fighter second, but it’s a close second.

Though I chose RampaginDragon for a more sentimental reason than everyone else, I’ve always loved mythology and Dragons' are definitely my top favorite category in mythology (so much so I don't even like watching movies/reading books ect. were Dragons are the "bad guys" and they have to be killed). Almost started using Liu Kang just for his fatality.

I really enjoy reading everyone’s stories!

My name is Jon, I teach 2d Animation at The Art Institutes. Some people started calling me Johnny2d. I love drawing and 2d animation and grew up with sprite based fighting games, obviously mk, but also sf, and fatal fury, samurai showdown. 2d animation has influenced my life in so many ways that I chose Johnny2d and ran with it.

This thread is a fun read btw :)
You teach at the art institutes? Lulz, I'm a student at an AI.

Eight

I am the salt
Round bout 4 years ago

I had a japanese exchange student living at home with me
When I made my xbl account, he said I should use "Okashiihito" because that was what I was lol

As for 'Eight', thats just my favorite number :)

Kaysick

Noob

Man hearing those FMJ quotes in the halls is epic.

Well for me, almost my whole life people mispronounce my last name. They always think the a isn't silent. I always get a bit angry when people say it wrong. Also, Mike is one of the most common first names so everyone calls people by their last names. Its also in the bro code :p
So one day I wanted to change my Xbox Live name, so I thought, hey why not make it sound like my last name? Thus Kaysick was created, it wasn't taken on Xbox but sadly it was on PS3. I only have the XBL_ part there since I had a Xbox at the time. Wish there was a way to change it D:

I love it. Legit avatar, too.
hahaha thank you

also for a more interesting story i use the alias 'meteorpuke' a lot as well as foodlegs. meteorpuke is from one of my favorite 80s horror movies, creepshow. a farmer played by stephen king finds a meteor that's crashed in his back yard. upon examination and poking at it with his finger, the meteor cracks open and neon green goo pours out, causing stephen king to exclaim "meteor shit!"
and i figured i might not be able to use "meteorshit" everywhere so i picked a suitable alternative