What's new

General/Other - Unbreakable Hopes for Unbreakable and Cryo.

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
I know we are all sick of these threads, but I feel I have a respectable knowledge on Sub Zero to give an educated opinion for Unbreakable and Cryomancer balance changes.

With KP2 on the horizon, I am still holding hope that the devs at NRS will continue to look into the weaker variations in the game and bring about a new meta for MKX. With the new releases of characters, we know that the chance for balance patches is inevitable, if and when that happens, here is a list of any changes I would hope to see for Sub Zero, obviously not all of them, but any of them would be a result.

NERFS:
Grandmaster: For Klone shatters to launch from the ground in the corner, they must be meter burned, I think 48% for an armour shattering, safe low launcher to be a bit much.

Frost bomb DB1 and MB DB1 to be much more punishable on block and on wiff.

Slides on wiff should have much more recovery frames to promote better play from Sub Zero players, it shouldn't be an excuse for bad mobility on the player's behalf.

GENERAL:
F4 - Has better recovery, allowing for F4 staggering.

B12 at -3, with a third hit added to the string.

112 = 0 on block, good amount of push back as he literally has no strings to push the opponent off.

114 = -6 on block, currently doesn't have a HKD quality, nor is it safe or damaging.

B334 = -8 on block.

MB Ice Ball should have a much faster start up.

GRAND MASTER:
Slightly more hit advantage on raw grounded klone shatters, possible damage over time effect added?
Increased block advantage on raw MB Klone shatters (not from block strings or strings on hit)

Klone throws on hit shouldn't launch the opponent back, it should leave them standing.

CRYOMANCER:

D2 to be high and much faster on start up, currently mid and 13 frames, never in a competitive game will anyone gamble on landing a Sub Zero D2, it is a death wish…also, it is mid but fully punishable on block…

NJP and J2 to include a Cryomancer Sword animation, same for every other weapon character in the game. Other characters with weapons have them added to the range on their NJP and J2, but for some reason, Cryo doesnt…even Lasher has this added.

Why Sub Zero Cyromancer wasn't given Erron Black’s impale move still boggles me to this day considering they already have this animation in stock with his MK9 Throw (which was amazing, and included a sword being broken off in the chest), I never seen a charcater with a sword and dagger variation with less sword and dagger moves centred around the variation.

F12 = +2 On block, for an offensive character, he literally has no or stagger game whatsoever.

MB Air Hammer should be Overhead then low, and launch. This is basic, judging by the animation.

UNBREAKABLE:

Parry should recover instantly on projectiles, and build Sub Zero meter for absorbing them.

MB Parry should be 1 frame, as its a parry, not an armoured move. Currently the slowest MB parry in the game.

Aura should build meter while blocking, same as Kotal.

MB Aura should build the same amount of meter Kotal Kahn does while taking damage.

MB Aura should have the same damage reduction that Kotal Kahn has.

Grounded aura shatters on hit should allow a follow up combo.

MB Aura shatters should be advantage on block.

MB Aura shatter should do much more damage on hit.

F4, 11, F42 into Aura on hit should allow a follow up combo, same as B12.

I understand that some of you might be saying “what? An armoured move that launches and is plus on block”, I hear you, but moves of this nature are already in the game.

Every single one of these hopes for a change to Sub Zero’s weak variations is already in the game currently, if it isn't Kung Lao’s MB Hat Spin, Tremors ground blast, Cassie’s Flip, Erron Black’s Sand Grenade, Tanya’s Safe armour etc etc, Sub Zero just appears to have lost the lottery on the properties and potential for his move set.

Does anyone disagree as to how any of these couldn’t help his weaker Cryomancer and Unbreakable variations or if any of these hopes/suggestions would be over powered? Of course, I don't expect every member on here to be an Unbreakable or Cryomancer expert, but I do assume there will be some pocket Cryo players.

Of course the last option would be to combine Unbreakable and Cryo, and make a whole new variation...never gonna happen.

Last edited:

Temp

Salmon. Otters. The Bringer.
I agree with Cryo's NJP having the blade, but in addition to +2 frames, I'd make F1,2 have 12 start-up frames instead of... I think it's 17 frames now? 17 is just ridiculous. Other than that, I wouldn't change much else. I think Cryomancer is relatively strong as is. It would make more sense for D2 to be faster, but I don't mind it being punishable.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
I can't think of too many moves that are both + and armored and launch.

Usually, if it launches and has armor it isn't +. (KK overhead sword, Johnny nutpunch, etc)

If it is +, it typically doesn't have armor.(MB Hellsparks, EB MB Sand Grenade, etc)

I think Tremor is one of the exceptions in Crystalline, but I really can't think of another. Even Tanya's is -2. So...yeah, I don't think Sub Zero needs that.

Last edited:

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
Not to be a douche, but yeah I am getting a little tired of these buff/nerf threads. There's a new one every day, some harboring some pretty ridiculous suggestions. This one doesn't seem as bad though.

Cryo's D2 seems quite alright as it is, the hitbox is amazing. Making it high and a bit faster... Sure I guess? Standing 1 would still be a better anti-air because of the full combo you get from it. NJP and J2 getting sword animations feels more like a luxury. J1 is already good and it's not like Sub uses NJP outside of non-optimized combos and the corner. Impale seem like another luxury, what does Sub-Zero really gain from it that he needs?

F12 +2 I can kinda see the reasoning in and would be an alright-ish buff. MB air hammer overhead to low that launches? Isn't it also relatively safe? This really isn't necessary for Cryo, only thing he gains is an easy combo if the opponent isn't paying attention. Still costs a bar fair enough, but I don't like the sound of it. Also if you're going by animation logic, Mileena's ball should be a low and Teleport an overhead.

Some of the Unbreakable buffs also rub me the wrong way. I very much agree with parry recovering instantly on projectile blocks and building meter and EX parry having a 1-frame startup. Normal aura building meter while blocking okay, but the meter build does have to be low. Difference with Blood God is that his totems is all he has and his lack of armor and the like balances it out. As Sub-Zero you can pretty much put on aura and nullify zoning while you're getting meter in the process. MB aura is the same deal with the meter build. Burst shatters allowing for meterless damage I'm not sure about, though I don't entirely disagree. MB Aura shatters doing and more damage and being + is a big no-no. Justifying it with 'other characters have it' is bad reasoning in my opinion. The fact that other characters have dumb stuff doesn't excuse other characters also getting it. F4, 11 and F42 giving a combo on hit with an aura cancel I agree with, though it has to be a somewhat-tight link like the B12 link.

LaidbackOne

Scrubby nice guy
Not to be a douche, but yeah I am getting a little tired of these buff/nerf threads. There's a new one every day, some harboring some pretty ridiculous suggestions. This one doesn't seem as bad though.

Cryo's D2 seems quite alright as it is, the hitbox is amazing. Making it high and a bit faster... Sure I guess? Standing 1 would still be a better anti-air because of the full combo you get from it. NJP and J2 getting sword animations feels more like a luxury. J1 is already good and it's not like Sub uses NJP outside of non-optimized combos and the corner. Impale seem like another luxury, what does Sub-Zero really gain from it that he needs?

F12 +2 I can kinda see the reasoning in and would be an alright-ish buff. MB air hammer overhead to low that launches? Isn't it also relatively safe? This really isn't necessary for Cryo, only thing he gains is an easy combo if the opponent isn't paying attention. Still costs a bar fair enough, but I don't like the sound of it. Also if you're going by animation logic, Mileena's ball should be a low and Teleport an overhead.

Some of the Unbreakable buffs also rub me the wrong way. I very much agree with parry recovering instantly on projectile blocks and building meter and EX parry having a 1-frame startup. Normal aura building meter while blocking okay, but the meter build does have to be low. Difference with Blood God is that his totems is all he has and his lack of armor and the like balances it out. As Sub-Zero you can pretty much put on aura and nullify zoning while you're getting meter in the process. MB aura is the same deal with the meter build. Burst shatters allowing for meterless damage I'm not sure about, though I don't entirely disagree. MB Aura shatters doing and more damage and being + is a big no-no. Justifying it with 'other characters have it' is bad reasoning in my opinion. The fact that other characters have dumb stuff doesn't excuse other characters also getting it. F4, 11 and F42 giving a combo on hit with an aura cancel I agree with, though it has to be a somewhat-tight link like the B12 link.
You mean s1 is a better anti crossup, Glue probably meant D2 to be useful against jumpins. I gotta agree with most of the UB changes except the plus, armored launcher thingy. Lets not go there pls.

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
You mean s1 is a better anti crossup, Glue probably meant D2 to be useful against jumpins. I gotta agree with most of the UB changes except the plus, armored launcher thingy. Lets not go there pls.
Standing 1 is still decent against jump-ins, but fair enough.

RyuKazuya

Jesus is my Lord and Savior!
compared to the other bugg requests i ve read this sounds damn legit. I might jump back on the sub hype train as well

RagingRicans

NetBattles
Why would you make regular frost bomb even worse? It's practically useless... I would like f4 to have less recovery,but it's not meant for staggers.

Slide is fine. It's not really an issue and seems like a superficial nerf.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
I won't comment much, but the only + on block armored launcher in the entire game is Crystalline's ex low shatter, and even though that is dumb and should go, at least it has 24f of start up and it's rather easy to break. EX Frost Bomb has 15f start up, that's just gonna be straight dumb.

Anyway, what I want to say is, why do you want all your characters to play the same way? You want all characters you play to have pressure and staggers and plus frames... I mean this might make Unbreakable good, but you're just turning him into a variation that is like 3000 other variations out there. Unbreakable was designed to be a defensive character that's hard to kill and I hope they'd focus on that. Giving him the Tempest treatment is just the lazy uninspired way to do it IMO.

zoofs

bless
how about you relax with those grandmaster nerfs because they're pretty atrocious

I genuinely do not see how those will change things in a good way other than just hurt the character where he isn't really broken. For the most part only maniacs complain about frost bomb and slide whiff recovery isn't even close to a game breaking issue. Only shatter nerf I would suggest is maybe a damage reduction, skip the buffs for this variation outside of female combo fixes/b12 ex clone and he's fine.

not going to comment on anything else as I don't care about cryo or unbreakable and came into the thread out of pure curiosity not expecting to see some ridiculous nerf suggestions

Last edited:

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
NERFS:
Grandmaster: For Klone shatters to launch from the ground in the corner, they must be meter burned, I think 48% for an armour shattering, safe low launcher to be a bit much.
How/what can you armor break with this

God Confirm

I'm assuming he means b3/12 and both can shred different types of slow or specific armor moves but its not the primary source of shredding armor or anything
Can they? Seems awful slow. What armour can you break with it that can't be broken with practically any string?

Wait, cryo? Cryo seems like the best 2nd variation in the game? His last buffs were the most significant in the games history

I have an idea for unbreakable though- the MKDC teleport/slide teleport (00:46)

God Confirm

Oh nvm I didn't see the "low". I don't know what he's talking about then.
Yeah, and on the K&M tier list explanation they also said something about Sub having a meterless 50% armour breaking low starter... I'm trying to work out if this is some UK SubZero tech that I don't know about, or if they are just putting out more misinformation cause there was a LOT of that in that explanation video. Would like to be sure though, is there some way to armour break with it, I'm thinking D4 into Shatter might break more armour cause of the range causes him not to get caught, but then again that isn't a low combo starter. Maybe cancelling the first hit of B3 into Shatter is faster or something, I don't know I'd like some clarification from @UsedForGlue on this one because I mentioned it multiple times in the tier thread and got no explanation

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Better whiff recovery on F4? Okay the whiff recovery frames may be considered excessive considering they are clearly visible even after the F4 animation ends, but people should be rewarded for backing up and not wanting anything to do with the plus frames it can accumulate from being cancelled into EX Clone and EX Aura respectively.

War God Kotal doesn't gain any new jump attacks despite being a "weapon" oriented variation. Also Bone Shaper and Bojutsu if you want to be semantic about it. But I will agree with giving Cryo a sword for his NJP nonetheless.

Also, Blood God Kotal doesn't have 7 frame jabs, a viable overhead, nor usable armor. Giving activated aura the same properties when blocking as the obsidian totem will promote EXTREME sandbagging for meter on purpose. At best it should simply negate the opponent's meter build.

Yeah I read the explanation for EX Shatter being plus on block with Aura activated and... I still don't understand why it's a good idea.

To make F42 meterless aura linkable on hit there would have to be a substantial change to either it's hitstun (meaning meterless ice would end up comboing), or the recovery of meterless aura. Big no no. I only agree with making F4xxAura, 11xxIce etc. linkable. (which I'd like to add, is also still slightly plus) would only require a couple frames of reduction on the aura.

Anyway, if the presence of Aura should improve anything, it SHOULD be the parry, if Unbreakable is to ever do anything that GM/Cryo simply can't offer. My suggestion would be to make it parry anything/everything safely while it's on as a one time use, and gets rid of the aura once it is used. But IMO that's something that would have to been seen in practice thoroughly before being implemented in a public build of the game.