What's new

Match-up Discussion Hawkgirl Matchup Discussion

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
We still need to play sometime Runway, I was too hyped at EVO for getting to play KoF against Juicebox, Ren and the Cafe id guys that I completely neglected Injustice >.>

I'd like some frost MU experience seeing as everyone thinks she's godlike and I havent lost to one yet <___<

Hawkgirl vs Sinestro

3-7 (Sinestro advantage)

This matchup is very very hard on HG. She can't play lame at all. It's as if Sinestro was created just to crush her.

Starting with Impact Event, these are the boulders that fly from the sky (and track) and land on you. This single move crushes everything she does in flight and her jump because she jumps so slowly and so high. When it connects, you get slammed to the ground for an untechable knockdown which usually gives him time to dash back or god forbid build up his trait a bit. He can meter burn it on reaction and if meter burned you bounce up and back away from Sinestro. Most Sinestros take this time to blast you with his Fear Blast to push you even farther away. Some Sinestro jerks can even combo his shackles off of the Impact Event MB and either blast you with a fear blast or just let you sit there and build up his trait. Another thing about Impact Event, is because HG's dash is so slow and the meteor tracks so well, one dash isn't gonna cut it or a dash into an MC or WE3 isn't gonna cut it either. You have to anticipate the boulder and then dash past it.

Ok, so jumping and flying is out. So let's dash. Well, that's where his Fear Blast comes in. It's quick and annoying as crap. Because HG's dash is so slow and seems to recover from it slow, this palm blast can tag her right in the face. When meter burned, Sinestro shoots about 5 blasts that are hard to get around. And they're at the perfect height to hit HG while she tries to MB or WE to try to get closer. Dashing and blocking is the slow, painful, and safest way to only get in unless you jump....... and if Sinestro calls a meteor while you jump, you get comboed and pushed back to full screen again. Fear Blast is high so you can duck all of it but only on anticipation. And if you get caught ducking that stupid meteor.... oh the frustration.

And then there's most frustrating thing of all and that's his trait. Once this thing is out, you're basically screwed and really the only thing you can do is go for a hail mary MC or clash to end it. This stupid satellite thing shoots tiny "pew-pew" lasers on command. These things are insanely fast and make everything of his safe. It can hit HG out of everything and pretty much makes it impossible to get in. And even if you get in, he can use trait to get you away and punish things he normally can't punish.

With all this before you the tactic vs Sinestro is clear. Find a way in and DONT' LET HIM OUT. Do NOT end combos with flight 3. Only end combos with MC MB if you get him into the corner. Try to end combos with air D3 so you can do the 3~WE tech because it's pretty good against him. Many Sinestros like to bait you into a range where they can B13 you. Getting hit with this starts a pretty damaging combo that will push you back to full screen again. You can punish B13 but I think there's some new thing going around where Sinestro can cancel the B1 into a trait charge and into something else. It sounds scary as hell and I hope we can d1/d2 out of it on reaction. Another thing to watch out for is the Arachnid Sting (which you can't duck anymore. Thanks NRS) This is most Sinestro's last resort to push you out and a good wakeup attack. If you get hit with this, they can meter burn and ....... you guessed it!..... push you back to full screen. You can punish the the first hit of the Sting but if you're late, you'll get hit by the MB and pushed back full screen. And if you block the MB, you get pushed back far enough for him to get out of dodge.

Basically, find a way in and stay there. Don't let him push you out. Try to keep him guessing with your approach and make him feel like he can either palm blast or meteor you to keep you out. If a Sinestro player knows the matchup he'll start walking backwards and refuse to block low because he knows only our sweep can knock us down. Adding more to this frustrating matchup is that Sinestro has a fast backwalk and he can literally moonwalk his way out of sweep range. Stay in. Keep him from pushing you out. Use your D1 a lot to keep him still. And don't let him get that damn trait charged.

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
Hawkgirl vs Sinestro

3-7 (Sinestro advantage)

This matchup is very very hard on HG. She can't play lame at all. It's as if Sinestro was created just to crush her.

Starting with Impact Event, these are the boulders that fly from the sky (and track) and land on you. This single move crushes everything she does in flight and her jump because she jumps so slowly and so high. When it connects, you get slammed to the ground for an untechable knockdown which usually gives him time to dash back or god forbid build up his trait a bit. He can meter burn it on reaction and if meter burned you bounce up and back away from Sinestro. Most Sinestros take this time to blast you with his Fear Blast to push you even farther away. Some Sinestro jerks can even combo his shackles off of the Impact Event MB and either blast you with a fear blast or just let you sit there and build up his trait. Another thing about Impact Event, is because HG's dash is so slow and the meteor tracks so well, one dash isn't gonna cut it or a dash into an MC or WE3 isn't gonna cut it either. You have to anticipate the boulder and then dash past it.

Ok, so jumping and flying is out. So let's dash. Well, that's where his Fear Blast comes in. It's quick and annoying as crap. Because HG's dash is so slow and seems to recover from it slow, this palm blast can tag her right in the face. When meter burned, Sinestro shoots about 5 blasts that are hard to get around. And they're at the perfect height to hit HG while she tries to MB or WE to try to get closer. Dashing and blocking is the slow, painful, and safest way to only get in unless you jump....... and if Sinestro calls a meteor while you jump, you get comboed and pushed back to full screen again. Fear Blast is high so you can duck all of it but only on anticipation. And if you get caught ducking that stupid meteor.... oh the frustration.

And then there's most frustrating thing of all and that's his trait. Once this thing is out, you're basically screwed and really the only thing you can do is go for a hail mary MC or clash to end it. This stupid satellite thing shoots tiny "pew-pew" lasers on command. These things are insanely fast and make everything of his safe. It can hit HG out of everything and pretty much makes it impossible to get in. And even if you get in, he can use trait to get you away and punish things he normally can't punish.

With all this before you the tactic vs Sinestro is clear. Find a way in and DONT' LET HIM OUT. Do NOT end combos with flight 3. Only end combos with MC MB if you get him into the corner. Try to end combos with air D3 so you can do the 3~WE tech because it's pretty good against him. Many Sinestros like to bait you into a range where they can B13 you. Getting hit with this starts a pretty damaging combo that will push you back to full screen again. You can punish B13 but I think there's some new thing going around where Sinestro can cancel the B1 into a trait charge and into something else. It sounds scary as hell and I hope we can d1/d2 out of it on reaction. Another thing to watch out for is the Arachnid Sting (which you can't duck anymore. Thanks NRS) This is most Sinestro's last resort to push you out and a good wakeup attack. If you get hit with this, they can meter burn and ....... you guessed it!..... push you back to full screen. You can punish the the first hit of the Sting but if you're late, you'll get hit by the MB and pushed back full screen. And if you block the MB, you get pushed back far enough for him to get out of dodge.

Basically, find a way in and stay there. Don't let him push you out. Try to keep him guessing with your approach and make him feel like he can either palm blast or meteor you to keep you out. If a Sinestro player knows the matchup he'll start walking backwards and refuse to block low because he knows only our sweep can knock us down. Adding more to this frustrating matchup is that Sinestro has a fast backwalk and he can literally moonwalk his way out of sweep range. Stay in. Keep him from pushing you out. Use your D1 a lot to keep him still. And don't let him get that damn trait charged.
Couldn't tell that better! Very nice explanation of that MU and i agree, SADLY

Espio

Kokomo
Tiger Wong can I add your input on Bane and Sinestro to the original post? I'm really happy everyone's getting involved in these :).

Really solid breakdowns of the match ups for them.

Tiger Wong can I add your input on Bane and Sinestro to the original post? I'm really happy everyone's getting involved in these :).

Really solid breakdowns of the match ups for them.
No problem. That's what I posted them for.

If I have time I'll try to do a GL vs HG and a Superman vs HG soon.

Espio

Kokomo
No problem. That's what I posted them for.

If I have time I'll try to do a GL vs HG and a Superman vs HG soon.

I figured, just want to double check with everyone before I add their comments.

Okay, sounds good! I'm going to eventually do three or four more over the next couple weeks.

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
Just figured I'd post this gif here...MMH scares the shit out of me as Hawkgirl. When his trait is up he has this much range in the air and if that flip kick is his D2 OMG that is some insanity O_O

plus check the range on his air grab!

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
Just figured I'd post this gif here...MMH scares the shit out of me as Hawkgirl. When his trait is up he has this much range in the air and if that flip kick is his D2 OMG that is some insanity O_O

plus check the range on his air grab!

Yes, his reach is great! Also i really hope that air grab is a normal

Well if it's any consolation, that air normal in the first gif......

About the same range as Catwoman's air whip so it's nothing we shouldn't be able to handle/anticipate.

Really hope that's not his D2 though. Even if he has to activate trait...... that shit has got some MONSTROUS range.

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
Well if it's any consolation, that air normal in the first gif......

About the same range as Catwoman's air whip so it's nothing we shouldn't be able to handle/anticipate.

Really hope that's not his D2 though. Even if he has to activate trait...... that shit has got some MONSTROUS range.
I know...I think I pooped a little when I saw that AA. If its his D2 prepare for salt across the boards.

Espio

Kokomo
I'm not gonna worry just yet till I know more, but on the brightside I'm picking up Martian Manhunter when he releases so I'll be able to help with match up experience :).

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
I think that flip will probably be his standing 3 or something (kind of like Sinestro), and the grab looks to me like a string ender similar to BA's b23 u1+3. He looks like an annoying MU though, fuckin NRS and their garbage dlc is really making the game worse and worse with every one..

"hey lets make a character that totally relies on A"
"next DLC character totally shits on A"

-__-

Btw Tiger Wong, Sinestro's fireball is a mid. It keeps getting bigger the more distance it travels, its duckable close to mid range but around 3/4 or more you cant duck it.
Also you can dash the boulder on reaction (as soon as his hand goes up you dash).
If he gets the power of pew its a wrap, one way I found out against shitty sinestros (granted most never charge the trait up but hear me out lol) is dashing nonstop to make them panic and waste the trait >__> you'll eat a few fireballs and the pews but at the very least you wont get knocked down and usually you'll still be in range to get in and do damage. Like i said though this is not good against good Sinestros coz theyll just use shackles and a pew and knock you back fullscreen again..

I really like your format, I'd say something like that should be the "standard" for our MU write-ups. I'll try to use it as a template for any MU write-up i do.

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
We still need to play sometime Runway, I was too hyped at EVO for getting to play KoF against Juicebox, Ren and the Cafe id guys that I completely neglected Injustice >.>

I'd like some frost MU experience seeing as everyone thinks she's godlike and I havent lost to one yet <___<
Anytime ;)

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
Lol I'd love to see what you guys do to make you think DS- HG is 5-5 or even 6-4, I'd give it 7-3 and I'm being generous here.

Espio

Kokomo
Hawkgirl loses 7-3 to Deathstroke in my opinion, but if we're all quite split on the match up we can just discuss and put counters, strategies and options in the OP or something like that and leave the number out of it.

I don't know the Cyborg match up that well and I'd rather fight Cyborg even though I have roughly 4 months of Deathstroke experience and only one long set's worth of experience versus Cyborg, that's how bad I feel Deathstroke is.

At least when you get in on Cyborg you have the advantage, while getting in on Deathstroke, you're still at a disadvantage up close. DS crushes her wake up game pretty decisively too. Trait is gimp(which would be fine if you had advantage when you got in). Hell because of guns even if you try to get help from interactables you're not getting those tossed most of the time because he blows that up.

Shayera's floaty jump means it's even easier for DS to clip her wings with his zoning, whiff an air mace toss even when you made a correct read and get punished because of how long it is etc.

Hawkgirl is one of the only characters who can't do anything about DS guns on block unless she's in his grill, another huge problem in detering his checking/zoning tools.

I utilize her rushdown game heavily and abuse her safe strings, if I'm doing something wrong I'd like to level up even more.

It's simple. They haven't played a real DS. ;)
We need another set ;____________;.

Its 6-4 DS. At the least. More like 6.5-3.5.

DS can keep her out like nobody's business. You can't even block and dash because DS can just alternate the high and low shots and tag you during your 2nd dash. You have to jump and risk getting shot in the air. But at least it might make DS shoot an air gun and you dash under it.

Our oki game might as well not exist because of the sword spin and sword flip. They hit multiple times and screw over 3~we or 3~mc techs. You have to bait and punish, but then he can just dash back and get out for free.

DS also has legit 50/50s and his jumping 3 is a pain. It's one of those "ambiguous crossups" (which really means its bullshit).

Problem with this matchup is HG is better up close except for that damn sword flip. It cuts through a lot of her attempts to nail him down. You have to risk baiting it and punish with the risk being he can get out for free to shoot you down some more.

I've got more info but I'm on my phone right now. I hate my thumb.

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
Its 6-4 DS. At the least. More like 6.5-3.5.

DS can keep her out like nobody's business. You can't even block and dash because DS can just alternate the high and low shots and tag you during your 2nd dash. You have to jump and risk getting shot in the air. But at least it might make DS shoot an air gun and you dash under it.

Our oki game might as well not exist because of the sword spin and sword flip. They hit multiple times and screw over 3~we or 3~mc techs. You have to bait and punish, but then he can just dash back and get out for free.

DS also has legit 50/50s and his jumping 3 is a pain. It's one of those "ambiguous crossups" (which really means its bullshit).

Problem with this matchup is HG is better up close except for that damn sword flip. It cuts through a lot of her attempts to nail him down. You have to risk baiting it and punish with the risk being he can get out for free to shoot you down some more.

I've got more info but I'm on my phone right now. I hate my thumb.
Yes....that "ambiguous crossup" fucks me over ALL DAY, ERR DAY. Shazam and Joker have that bullshit as well.