What's new

Match-up Discussion Hawkgirl Matchup Discussion

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
I know you play both characters and both are very solid, do you want me to add this to the OP?
Thank you! And yes i would like that please, also anyone who knows this match up can add anything as well... My Wonder Woman is still in process but i play very often with my friend that mains her and he is a beast, we both agreed on the solid 5-5 MU

Espio

Kokomo
I really for the life of me do not understand why Lex is bad at all.

rev0lver could I get your thoughts on the Hawkgirl match up?

Thank you! And yes i would like that please, also anyone who knows this match up can add anything as well... My Wonder Woman is still in process but i play very often with my friend that mains her and he is a beast, we both agreed on the solid 5-5 MU
No problem and thank you for contributing and hopefully everyone gets involved cause I'd love for this to be a community effort.

I might add my thoughts at a later date to it :). I have some on WW, but I think your breakdown is a good foundation.

Feel free to do any other matches you know well, if you're up for it.

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
For nothing! We are just a few representing our favorite girl and we must be together :)
Also if you got anything i miss just add it!
And yes i will make some other match ups that i know very well Catwoman (she is my sexondary) and some others

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
I really for the life of me do not understand why Lex is bad at all.

rev0lver could I get your thoughts on the Hawkgirl match up?
I have no idea. I never play that matchup lol. It seems pretty good for Lex because he can keep her out of the air pretty well. But other than that idk

Espio

Kokomo
I have no idea. I never play that matchup lol. It seems pretty good for Lex because he can keep her out of the air pretty well. But other than that idk

Whenever you settle back in from EVO can we run a long set? I had it as 5-5, but I need to play you some more since we haven't played the match up in a while if you're down.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
Whenever you settle back in from EVO can we run a long set? I had it as 5-5, but I need to play you some more since we haven't played the match up in a while if you're down.
Yeah np. I'll let you know when I'm getting on

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
Espio i guess it's because of the little ball he puts in the air that shots you wherever you are and that ground thing that makes impossible to get in

Espio

Kokomo
Espio i guess it's because of the little ball he puts in the air that shots you wherever you are and that ground thing that makes impossible to get in

You can actually avoid those with well timed dashes and mace charges. He's pretty clunky and the start up on a lot of his set ups leaves him vulnerable from what I've noticed. His projectile does 3% damage versus mace toss doing 8% so trades like that are favorable and a lot of his options are unsafe whereas Hawkgirl is a generally safe character.

You have to play more ground oriented spacing and footsies versus him, but that's not a problem when you're not taking risk on blocked strings because many are plus 2 or minus 3 so she can rushdown safely if played well.

He also has interruptible strings as I've been stuffing one of them with down 1 after blocking the first couple hits (not sure what the string is input wise) and 3 is good multi-hitting move for disabling trait.

I just don't understand why even if she did lose to Lex why it would be comparable to Batgirl or Deathstroke, I guess is what I'm trying to say.

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
You can actually avoid those with well timed dashes and mace charges. He's pretty clunky and the start up on a lot of his set ups leaves him vulnerable from what I've noticed. His projectile does 3% damage versus mace toss doing 8% so trades like that are favorable and a lot of his options are unsafe whereas Hawkgirl is a generally safe character.

You have to play more ground oriented spacing and footsies versus him, but that's not a problem when you're not taking risk on blocked strings because many are plus 2 or minus 3 so she can rushdown safely if played well.

He also has interruptible strings as I've been stuffing one of them with down 1 after blocking the first couple hits (not sure what the string is input wise) and 3 is good multi-hitting move for disabling trait.

I just don't understand why even if she did lose to Lex why it would be comparable to Batgirl or Deathstroke, I guess is what I'm trying to say.
Ohh kk, O: i didn't know that you can avoid then with MC since it's another hard to find MU ! And yes, now idk why is it that bad

Espio

Kokomo
Ohh kk, O: i didn't know that you can avoid then with MC since it's another hard to find MU ! And yes, now idk why is it that bad

There's a lot of little nuances to that match up. I just got lucky that I have a team member, a friend and others who play Lex that I've been playing.

I'm not disagreeing with her losing, but I think that match up is a lot of fun and interesting. I just from my experience disagree with it being comparable to her disadvantage match ups.

I completely agree with what has been said regarding WW. I give the air control to HG and I give the ground game to WW.

If I may ask, do you and anybody else want to add anything to the Grundy portion or do you generally agree? This is all up to discussion and I'm wiling when I wake up tomorrow to discuss anything :).

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
There's a lot of little nuances to that match up. I just got lucky that I have a team member, a friend and others who play Lex that I've been playing.

I'm not disagreeing with her losing, but I think that match up is a lot of fun and interesting. I just from my experience disagree with it being comparable to her disadvantage match ups.

If I may ask, do you and anybody else want to add anything to the Grundy portion or do you generally agree? This is all up to discussion and I'm wiling when I wake up tomorrow to discuss anything :).
I will read it in the morning...I cant imagine he is too difficult to handle so im sure you are accurate. I will say that I'm thinking Cyborg is a bad MU...relaxed state eliminated me at EVO with cyb and I couldn't move...lol

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
Her hardest match ups are Batgirl, Sinestro, Lex Luthor and Deathstroke and I have heard that Cyborg gives her a hard time (im not sure because i barely play a good Cyborg, so i won't count him)
Cyborg is very momentum based, if you give him the space to start his IA garbage it gets annoying, otherwise its 5-5 or slight advantage HG.
The 4th bad matchup imo is GL. He can get in so easily its fuckin dumb.

Deathstroke - this one is not that bad since Deathstroke is not zoning us, he is waiting to what are we going to do, we also can just dash and block but with the difference that he might use gunshot, might no!
And upclose it's 5-5 since his wake up is unsafe and ours are safe, we got pressure but he has a great jump 3
whoa how the hell is it 5-5 upclose? his j3, swordspin and any random guns totally shit on anything hawkgirl can try.
And how is his wakeup unsafe? swordspin is BARELY punishable (-6) and in some random cases its actually safe. Swordflip is also wonky and sometimes pushes you too far too for HG to punish. Not to mention any random guns that happen to hit you while you're doing MC or any WE knocks you fullscreen away which is totally ASS for HG in this MU.
Not to mention that you cant fly OR jump in this MU at all thanks to air guns and swordflip. fun fun..

IMO Sinestro, Batgirl and DS are all 7-3 or worse. Its pretty sad.

Duck Nation

Dicks with a future
The Sword Flip pushback specifically happens in the corner. I'm not sure exactly what the conditions are that make it do that, since I haven't tested it extensively.

I've already covered in depth why Slade decimates Shayera, and talked about it earlier in this thread. I'm always eager for someone to show me different, but as of yet it hasn't happened.

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
Nah that shit's free dawg, I dont see any glimpse of hope in finding anything to make the DS MU better, however I'm planning on having a long session this friday with our local DS (who just beat me tonight in our weekly, he also bodied me last week ;_; ) with hawkgirl in order to try and find anything in that MU to make it a bit better. I played Raven against him tonight but thats kinda ass too lol, at least i can move in that MU though >.>

FUCK DEATHSTROKE D:<

- 6-4
One of Grundy’s main problems versus Hawkgirl is that he has a hard time dealing with her aerial diagonal mace toss zoning. Hawkgirl’s flight trait means that even Grundy’s full screen option of swamp hands is rendered relatively useless for getting in on her forcing him to inch in without the benefit of the mind game of MB swamp hands, which can launch for full combo.

When Grundy does get in on Hawkgirl it is very difficult for him to keep consistent offense going because Hawkgirl’s strings such as back 2, 3 distort her hitbox making walking corpse and other grabs whiff completely while still dealing solid damage and potentially launching Grundy for a full combo. Wing evade 2 and 3 are also great for evading his armored tools and getting a safe distance away to space him out, zone and play footsies. Mace charge shifts her hitbox making it entirely avoid grabs, but experienced Grundy players can use a MB cancelled walking corpse into down 2 to punish mace charge for full combo. This tactic requires meter and can be countered with MB mace charge although since Grundy has a very small hitbox at times MB mace charge’s second hit will whiff on him more so than most of the cast and you can be punished hard, but it does not happen too much to discourage usage of the MB version.

Not only does Hawkgirl set the pace of this match up and outzone him, her basic character design makes Grundy struggle to mount a consistent offensive game when Grundy does get in on her. Damage wise Grundy wins and he can check flight and ambiguous dive kick pressure with his down 2 and anti-air grab so you want to be wary of approaching him as he can check aerial opponents well enough up close.
Grundy's too free for hawkgirl. You can easily air MC away if he tries to WC/WCC his way in and without the hall of justice mini-tanks he has almost no way to get in. I have a few sets of me vs a solid local Grundy from a month or 2 ago that i posted in the footage thread that shows how bad this MU can get. The fact that HG can easily zone him out and on the ground she has many ways to get away and/or go airborne makes the MU really tough for grundy.

Grundy, NW, joker, Lobo, KF and maybe Aquaman are all in HG's favor imo. How favorable is debatable but they're def in her favor.

Duck Nation

Dicks with a future
The one thing I think she absolutely can't solve is being free to Slade on wakeup. I still feel like there's a deadzone above Deathstroke's head that HG players aren't taking advantage of, though. When she's directly above my head, I can't do a lot but wait for her to come down. It usually just results in a fairly easily blocked stomp, but I don't think that it necessarily has to.

Boodendorf

Bird woman!
You guys are posting too fast for me to follow lol.

As for Lex matchup:
He has total screen control using air mines and satellite laser.
His trait totally fucks up any kind of approach (dude just has to mash whenever he sees you attack).
Hard wakeup to beat using the tech.
J3's insane range makes him win 100% of the time air to air battles.

Those are what makes the matchup heavily in lex's favor imo.

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
you really think aquaman is in her favor? I dont feel like its in his favor either, but it seems like he matches up pretty well
He has to come to you and he has no way to take you down from flight aside from jumping in. He can use the shield to absorb the mace tosses but we still get the meter gain as if it hits and if you MB it he'll get the damage and usually get smacked coz it'll catch them trying to dash in.
WE surprisingly goes through almost all his shit, from trident throw to his b2 and f13.
D2 beats all his jump-ins free. And he has shitty crossups so you dont have to worry about (j3 in the corner is an exception, that thing can get pretty wonky).
d1 messes his shit up and interrupts his pressure easily. They always get mad and send me msgs like "why cant i rapid fire my d1 like that and be lame as fuck?" xD
From the derp is practically useless in this matchup.
Its a slight advantage if its there at all (which why i said "maybe aquaman") but all the aquaman players i play dont like this MU

He has to come to you and he has no way to take you down from flight aside from jumping in. He can use the shield to absorb the mace tosses but we still get the meter gain as if it hits and if you MB it he'll get the damage and usually get smacked coz it'll catch them trying to dash in.
WE surprisingly goes through almost all his shit, from trident throw to his b2 and f13.
D2 beats all his jump-ins free. And he has shitty crossups so you dont have to worry about (j3 in the corner is an exception, that thing can get pretty wonky).
d1 messes his shit up and interrupts his pressure easily. They always get mad and send me msgs like "why cant i rapid fire my d1 like that and be lame as fuck?" xD
From the derp is practically useless in this matchup.
Its a slight advantage if its there at all (which why i said "maybe aquaman") but all the aquaman players i play dont like this MU

i feel like its a battle of 2 characters that want the other to come to them lol. from the deep is pretty annoying in that it catches you mid mace charge even though it appears behind :(. can't aquaman mb his water shield in response to her mb mace toss? aquaman players never use that though unless its to end a match it seems like though...

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
i feel like its a battle of 2 characters that want the other to come to them lol. from the deep is pretty annoying in that it catches you mid mace charge even though it appears behind :(. can't aquaman mb his water shield in response to her mb mace toss? aquaman players never use that though unless its to end a match it seems like though...
Depending on the timing MC sometimes just goes through from the deep, i wouldnt rely on it coz its kinda funky :S

Yeah they can MB it, idk who does more damage but its a bar for a bar basically. I only MB if i think they'll dash cancel after absorbing the mace to knock them away.
IMO its our advantage coz they usually have to take more risks compared to what we need to do.

Akromaniac27

Ready to lose your head?
As a Harley main, picking up Shayera, I think the MU COULD be 5-5, but it feels to me like it leans close to 4-6, Harley's favor. Yes Hawkgirl has her hideaway spot to avoid MB cupcakes and the air shots, but her flight does come to an end and at that point she will feel Harley's flurry of projectiles. This is a MU similar to Wonder Woman, in the sense that both on the ground(Harley vs Hawkgirl), is anyone's game though imo it's slightly in Harley's favor due to superior mix ups and frame traps, but Harley at a distance can chip HG out while also evading her maces giving her already the life lead she needs to wait for the timer to run out. Not to mention any hit confirm combo starter Harley gets will dish out on average a 40% meterless combo which she can in the end use up 1 bar of meter to MB her Play Doctor which will cause an additional 8% unblockable damage while leaving her safe to play keep away again.

Long story short, its a MU where Harley can play keep away better and even if Hawkgirl wants to take the fight to her, Harley still has the upper hand, though not by a significant amount, but still on top. I spent the last 3 hours facing the AI Hawkgirl as Harley on very hard(yes its the AI, not a human, blah blah, however) and in the end Harley was winning nearly all of the matches. There was no routine so that I could "outsmart" the AI to get a cheap win, and to add, the AI would IAmace charge on reaction whenever I jumped on top of optimizing many combos whenever she would land any; higher combos and faster reactions than humans I faced, so to me that was saying something. As well as with me, I would evade maces on reaction, not through routine, which isn't really hard at all though, but just saying.

The way I see it, if HG wants to win this MU, she has to do whatever it takes to get the life lead and wait for the timer to run out. Flight will not help her accomplish this in this MU, believe me, and being up close and personal is a risk in itself. Not to mention Harley gains a HUGE amount of meter in this MU, this MU is like a surplus of meter for her, where Hawkgirl will most likely not wager because she WILL lose. Thoughts?

Akromaniac27

Ready to lose your head?
Grundy, NW, joker, Lobo, KF and maybe Aquaman are all in HG's favor imo. How favorable is debatable but they're def in her favor.
Hmm, imo once players get the grasp that you simply have to wait for her to come down that you can then hit her, this will change, at least for Grundy, NW, and KF.(I don't have an input for Aquaman, Joker or Lobo). NW, just like Harley, can IA their projectiles at the same rate you chuck your maces to evade them, while also gaining as much meter. If you want to get work done, you now have to waste meter to add in that extra hit but this also means you have to be in near enough which is right where they want you to be. These three as well have tracking specials that hit grounded opponents, mainly it hits at your location whether you are on the ground or not. If a Grundy player sees your flight mode run out and you start dropping, if he has the meter, he can catch you with EX swamp hands to then combo you for who knows how much. Same with KF and NW. KF has her MB icebergs which she can dash in and slide to connect depending on the distance(I think it will connect at like 7/8 of the screen, maybe even full screen), and NW while in escrima stance for the IA projectiles, can instantly go into his staff slam which he can MB and then follow up with another, or if he's close enough, he can connect a Flying Grayson. These characters as well, mainly NW, I know you don't want to be close to anyways. Just my speculation on it

DanCock

Cock Master!!
Espio I don't think it's wise for me to comment on any match up numbers yet. I don't have enough game play to really give numbers. :/

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk