What's new

Having the game early and how it affects you.

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
I'm going to start this off by saying: If you didn't expect people, especially some tournament players, to get their hands on the game early you are gullible and must be brand new to video gaming. Also, if you spent money pre registering for early tournaments with the expectations of doing well KNOWING people have the game early, then YOU ARE TO BLAME. Not NRS, not the players themselves and not the tournament organizers.

This seems to be a popular topic today so I figured I'd put my two cents in as an avid NRS player and one who's been a part of this community for quite some time now. YOU SIMPLY SHOULDNT BE ASTONISHED THAT PEOPLE HAVE THE GAME EARLY, it is VERY COMMON that mom and pop stores give AAA titles out earlier than street date. The biggest retailers advertise the fuck out of these games and most people go to these places to purchase them. The low end stores give these games out early to avoid being stuck with 700 copies. On top of that most companies send review copies out for the games as soon as they go gold and getting one is usually as simple as emailing or writing the studio and requesting one. If you're a small time youtuber or just a player, chances are u may not be accepted and sent a copy; but the option is still there.

Bottom line is, it shouldn't come to a surprise to anyone that people are getting early copies. It's not like NRS is cherry picking tournament players to send early copies to get them ahead. And if that's the case and you didn't get chosen, that means you just aren't good enough or haven't put your name out there. It's ONE WEEK, with Combo Breaker being a SLIGHT EXCEPTION, if you're letting people with 7 days experience get the upper hand on you then you probably weren't going to beat them regardless.

TL;DR Don't buy tickets and spend money for tournaments on a game you KNOW people are going to have earlier than you.

Also, this may seem like a shot at Tweedy. If he wants to take it like that, so be it, but this is going out to more than just him. He's just the most vocal, which is why it may seem that way. And to rebuttle any "your not a tournament player" comments, I have no aspirations to compete as of now, but this thread isn't about that. It's about having common sense and applying it.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Said it months ago. You can go to Combo Breaker for fun, but if you think it's where you're going to be Top 3 or whatever without getting the game early, well, bridges for sale. This should have been known to everyone.

However, by CEO and ongoing the 3-7 days head start will be irrelevant so in the grand scheme of things it isn't that big of a deal.

ThaShiveGeek

Est In Harvey 1989
I agree completely. Watching the scene grow during the next two years will be so fun! Hopefully the players that can't get the game early will look back at this and laugh because of all the top 8's they're going to gone and win. Much luck to Tweedy and everyone else that's kind of nervous right now.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
In my best movie ad voice...

In a world where feelings are rampant, one game that everyone wants - but few have - will cause the salt to flow from the entitled butt-hurt masses that fail to understand that the universe does not revolve around them. Will they vent through social media and will anyone care? Before this upcoming Tuesday, come see what all the fuss us about. Come see - First World Problems - Injustice 2less - It's not fair!!! Now playing at TYM, Twitter, Reddit, and other social media outlets near your fingertips.

Last edited:
I like when people get the game early because tech gets to spread faster, if I end up getting the game early (there is a sleazy local games store that sometimes doesn't obey release dates) I am just going to start dumping Frame data for the chars I am looking into and etc.

I have no idea why anyone who has Zero experience with the game when the first tournament happens that they expect to place well, I mean, even the people who got in on the beta have a further grasp on the game than you.

9_Lives

Noob
With so many legacy characters in i2 there are plenty of avenues people can follow if they want to do better at combo breaker. And how fleshed out are mus really going to be with a week or two's headstart? People just find it more to make excuses than to accept the possibility that they are scrubs lol.

I agree with the OP. It's realistic to suspect that those well known personalities in the FGC are getting early copies. How else will NRS motivate them to hype up the game and give air time to the game on their feeds etc.

What's annoying are those that pretend they don't have it so they can amaze people with their leet combo skills in the next few weeks when in truth they have been working at it for at least a week now.

In any case I can't wait to enjoy the single player and casual online fights. I plan to tune in on the tourneys in a few months when everyone is up to speed with the game.