What's new

Have any of you had difficulty finding a main in this game compared to MK9/X?

Mahjunia

Noob
I've difficulty and still having a bit, at first I started with Liu but it didn't fit my gamestyle since I'm a mixup player, then I moved to Raiden where I like his f3 & b1 stagger and also his superman cancel, but still... it lacks a lot of things, his projectiles are totally shiat and you have to work more than other chars from the cast.

Currently, I'm playing Sonya where I like the mixups but it lacks of a decent mid string, anyways I'm gonna switch soon or later to Shang Tsung since my boy Ermac is inside him, if you know what I mean :D hope he fits my gamestyle.

S+ Main

Noob
I'd say that I have 'mained' every character for about a day and swap everyday, I enjoy playing every character and playstyle but I get bored quickly and always play another character. When the trailer dropped for Shang Tsung and I saw that he can transform into the opponent I saw the opportunity to play as any character and still have a main so no matter how bad or good, I decided that I will main him just for that ability.

Also I have never had a true main in any fighting game and have fun bouncing between characters, you don't need a main character but if someone clicks then have at it.

Krankk

Smoke & Noob & Rain
I play characters I love based on their looks / personalities / visual gameplay. In MK9 I had Smoke, Rain and Noob Saibot. MKX didn't interest me for the longest time, until they released Triborg and I had Smoke again. Now in MK11 I have Noob Saibot. I want Smoke and Rain back too though. Because other than Noob Saibot the MK11 roster doesn't have a single character, who appeals to me on the same level as Smoke / Rain and Noob Saibot do. That's unfortunate for me.

Ermac, Reptile, Kabal and the sorcerer trio, so i am mostly fine, but it is strange to have a non broken Kabal or to not hear quan's laugh lol.

Syd Barrett Lives

Italian Psychopath
It took longer than usual but just because I spent a lot of time doing towers at the beginning.

Going in I was pretty sure it would be one between Noob, Shao Kahn and Sub-Zero. Shao Kahn just didn't feel right to me, with Noob I had a lot of fun offline but as soon as I went online I had to drop him, now I'm very comfortable with Sub Zero and maining him.

Shao Kahn's chose himself for me, and Sindel should really diversify my play time.

However, I do agree with the sentiments being conveyed:
  • some of the stalwart characters lost a lot of their selves / mojo / je ne sais quoi
  • the newbies (so far) seem uninspired
  • many fan fav's are M.I.A. (*mine not included -- I only have empathy for those who are in the post-less boat I was in since MKvDCU)
  • there is an appreciable tier gap between the top 3~4 and the rest (*where that defines the likeability for a player... doesn't concern me)
  • the Draconian restrictions placed on customisation (where it's even permitted at all), which stymies the potential for fun that one could otherwise have with a character--if the system were freër
Having said that, with x2 "Kombat Packs" on the way, containing x6 characters each, I do feel it's too early to bring the adjudication hammer down on the MK11 roster just yet. They promised they would support the game this time, and although NRS are "T" (Trump) tier liars, with so much DLC brewing, I feel that MK11 is only half-finished ATM...

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
Been Kaballin' since the beta and don't plan on stopping anytime soon.

In fact I have the opposite problem, I wanna play more characters than I can even put time into right now. Kabal, Frost, Geras, Sub, Liu, multiple variations with some of them too, all interest tf out of me to the point where I wanna continue playing them but just don't have the time. And I'm sure it won't just stop there.

NaCl man

Welcome to Akihabara
Played flame fist in mkx playing liu again and i dont mind him. But when ash drops day 1 main i dont care how he plays ill learn. This character will make me slow down on tekken for a bit.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
been waiting for Sindel. I wanted to like Skarlet but just coudn't get into her. I main Shao Khan and D'Vorah ar the mo.. but I think Sindel is the one I am waiting on.

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
I have been having a lot of difficulty. The characters I play the most are Kollector, Kotal Kahn, Shao Kahn, and Frost. I am sure you probably notice what is wrong with that picture already. I just would like 1 decent character to play and then I always keep coming around to Kabal considering my playstyle, but then I don't feel like playing him because I feel like then I would be "forcing" myself to play him, if that makes any sense. Doubly so since I am going to CEO and I feel like I have to play a good character, but I just don't find the current crop of "good" characters very fun to play.

I just hope one day a balance patch/DLC comes and alleviates my woes.

Ck AeroVoid

Mk Casual, KI God
In MK9 my issue was there were so many characters I liked I couldn't settle on one. MKX I pretty quickly found my two primaries and dabbled in two others on the side. In this game I feel like there's just not many that jump out to me (or rather, there are a handful I like the look of but when I get to playing them they aren't scratching that particular itch) but can't put my finger on why.

Not a knock on the game at all, just a preference thing -- has anyone else had this experience or no?
Yes. To the point I am deciding to learn everyone instead of just one. I am best with scorpion Cassie sonya and frost though. Will probably main spawn if I end up liking his play style!

ketch0

Noob
I'm struggling to find a main in this game.

Cetrion is the only character who has been interesting to me since they axed Reptile and Triborg. And Kitana just feels too dumbed down for my taste.

I always try Sub-Zero in any MK game since he's my favorite. Loved him in MK9 even if he was low/mid tier. Hated the way pretty much everyone but Jacqui(shotgun) played in MKX. MK11 i play almost the whole cast.

Mantra

Noob
Yeah I had the same problem, none of the characters I've mained before are in the game. I'm using Shao Khan and Kabal a lot now but I think I'll be going back to Sindel when she's released.

Groove Heaven

Jobber-baron
I did at first.

Started with Erron Black but I hate how he plays in this game and I just wasn't having fun. Moved on to Frost but she's not very good and feels kinda unfinished. Kept losing in ranked with both because I wasn't connecting with my top tier character and I'm too shitty to win with a low tier.

Tried out Cetrion and never looked back, she's the character for me.

DrZmmm

Noob
I did initially. I usually play 4-5 characters and I try not to play any from the previous game. MKX I played: Reptile, Quan Chi, Jax, Cassie and Tanya. But I wasnt really vibing with any character for weeks after this game's release.

This game, I started with Noob but dropped him after a day because I didnt like his playstyle. Then I played Jade for a few weeks because she was the character I planned to main anyways. When I got bored with Jade I went to Cetrion because she fits my playstyle perfectly(and she's my favorite character so far).

ATM I'm using Liu Kang and this is definitely my favorite verison of him so far..I wasnt really a fan of him before this game.

IMO, if you think you might like a character then just try them for a few days even if you have doubts, just keep playing/learning them. You'll find someone you like eventually. Some might even surprise you.