What's new

Question - Hellfire Hardest MU

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
She still does, but only when she is fighting against ninjutsu or inferno, because those variations are out ranged much easier and can't properly stuff her strings in between when whiffing. Hellfire has flame aura so one cannot just put limbs out from every possible range when it whiffs.

Where ninjutsu struggles Hellfire shines due the flame aura and its active frames, its not something to mess up with it since it conditions people to not just relentlessly put limbs out , where hellfire struggles in range, Ninjutsus covers it up, MU like WG Kotal, SQ D'vorah etc most of the time o prefer using ninjutsu mostly. On Cage you definitely want to use hellfire, at least against A-list, rc vs rc, and s3~rc~21 is a blockstring.
these are the EXACT match ups I am trying to find the right secondary for, honestly it would be Ninjutsu but I don't do double variations, and it would be Hat Trick but hes flawed. Glad we agree on what Hellfire's weaknesses are. Except for Spectral. Hes ridiculous and we can't do a damn thing about it. What's a similar secondary other than Ninjutsu to cover these MU's

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
these are the EXACT match ups I am trying to find the right secondary for, honestly it would be Ninjutsu but I don't do double variations, and it would be Hat Trick but hes flawed. Glad we agree on what Hellfire's weaknesses are. Except for Spectral. Hes ridiculous and we can't do a damn thing about it. What's a similar secondary other than Ninjutsu to cover these MU's
maybe JC

God Confirm

I can't give up my high damage combos tho... looking at Sun God Kotal and Cutthroat Kano, I don't want to jump on the Kano bandwagon tho but he seems to have it, wondering about Sun God tho, or would he just get outspaced by War God and DVo?

She still does, but only when she is fighting against ninjutsu or inferno, because those variations are out ranged much easier and can't properly stuff her strings in between when whiffing. Hellfire has flame aura so one cannot just put limbs out from every possible range when it whiffs.

Where ninjutsu struggles Hellfire shines due the flame aura and its active frames, its not something to mess up with it since it conditions people to not just relentlessly put limbs out , where hellfire struggles in range, Ninjutsus covers it up, MU like WG Kotal, SQ D'vorah etc most of the time o prefer using ninjutsu mostly. On Cage you definitely want to use hellfire, at least against A-list, rc vs rc, and s3~rc~21 is a blockstring.
We're talking HF here Eddy. That's a good point about flame aura. She still has better armor even after the nerfs right?

God Confirm

If you see B1, flame up. You will have to punish any gunshot she attempts with teleport.
I'm a Cassie player. If you could literally react to B1 in a frame because you are earthly vessel of the archangel gabriel, you still would get punished into full combo by B1.

Same with the Teleport. You would have to start teleport before iaG to catch her with it

Vjeekes

DevilApes
IMO hellfire doesn't have much bad matchups:
He has answers to almost every situation...
You cant zone him out because of tp.
he also controls the air with his tp.
he can rush with his cancels.
1 bad read and you eat 40 + damage

once the momentum goes to scorp you are dead...

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
We're talking HF here Eddy. That's a good point about flame aura. She still has better armor even after the nerfs right?
The armor on the cartwheel got removed, so no, Cassie only has one armored move in hollywood and is punishable on block and works mostly as AA, aside from that her best move is ex nutpunch his has invincibility frame, but is heavily punishable on block.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I can't give up my high damage combos tho... looking at Sun God Kotal and Cutthroat Kano, I don't want to jump on the Kano bandwagon tho but he seems to have it, wondering about Sun God tho, or would he just get outspaced by War God and DVo?
I really don't like those too characters for some reason, specially Sun God, he does very easy damage once you get your throws on max tatoos.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Yo are we gonna act like Kung Lao got Chris Benoit'd from the game? Yes Tempest got some nerfs and Hellfire got some buffs but the match-up determinant aspects didn't really change.

IMO hellfire doesn't have much bad matchups:
He has answers to almost every situation...
You cant zone him out because of tp.
The idea that Scorpion is unzoneable because of tele is pretty dead dude. In fact, if you wanna know why the Cage matchup is so annoying for Scorpion, trying to adequately deal with his fireballs is probably still an attributable reason (there's a number of other things as well, just addressing this specifically).

God Confirm

Am I the only one who feels like Cage isn't bad for Hellfire? heck might even be one of the better matches for him IMO

Nedyrc

Noob
A-Cage is 4-6 Hellfire IMO. Hellfire's aura shuts down cages rushdown game and scorp can ex teleport between 113 ' ' nutpunch <--- This gap. And scorp is almost impossible to anti air or catch mid air with f3 because of his air teleport. And scorp can cancel his teleport if he wants. Also cage cant always punish blocked aura thx to his t-rex arms

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
A-Cage is 4-6 Hellfire IMO. Hellfire's aura shuts down cages rushdown game and scorp can ex teleport between 113 ' ' nutpunch <--- This gap. And scorp is almost impossible to anti air or catch mid air with f3 because of his air teleport. And scorp can cancel his teleport if he wants. Also cage cant always punish blocked aura thx to his t-rex arms
Hate to be that guy but this is all based on notions that shouldn't and don't happen at high level.

- If you're playing A-List, why in the blue of hell are you doing 113xxNutpunch over 113xxSKRC?

- Also nobody uses air teleport as some kind of jump in feint, and even in the situations where that is applicable, everyone has to deal with it the same way.

- I just now tested your claim that Cage can't punish flame aura and 21xxSKRC into a follow up of choice is working reliably for me. It's not easy to punish, sure, but not many characters do have an easy way to punish it. Failing all that you could just use reversal EX Nutpunch as a punish if you're having that much trouble with it.

Ze Dingo

D4->F2 = unblockable. Ice Clone = unpunishable.
you will flame up on reaction to a b1... ? right ....
I'm a Cassie player. If you could literally react to B1 in a frame because you are earthly vessel of the archangel gabriel, you still would get punished into full combo by B1.

Same with the Teleport. You would have to start teleport before iaG to catch her with it
Lol, I should have made it clear. I meant flame up if you can see that B1 will whiff. Otherwise, hold that shit. I was talking about regular guns, nothing you can really do about iA guns.

Which is why I said she's a problematic MU in the first place :p

loogie

Noob
Lol, I should have made it clear. I meant flame up if you can see that B1 will whiff. Otherwise, hold that shit. I was talking about regular guns, nothing you can really do about iA guns.

Which is why I said she's a problematic MU in the first place :p
ahhh ... so the Cassie player would be throwing out a b1 from fullscreen and it would whiff naturally for which you would punish with a flame aura and not a spear for example. IF CASSIE PLAYERS LIKE TO THROW OUT B1s FROM FAR FAR AWAY.
Ok...anyway, thanks for clearing up everything.

tele on reaction to projectiles applies to all characters that have projectiles when vs Hellfire, no?

Matix218

Get over here!
ahhh ... so the Cassie player would be throwing out a b1 from fullscreen and it would whiff naturally for which you would punish with a flame aura and not a spear for example. IF CASSIE PLAYERS LIKE TO THROW OUT B1s FROM FAR FAR AWAY.

tele on reaction to projectiles applies to all characters that have projectiles when vs Hellfire, no?
It depends on how quickly the projectile recovers. I was playing a cutthroat kano online in about a 100-105ms ping and he was able to block every time I ex teleported his knives on reaction.

Ze Dingo

Are you seriously suggesting that every single B1 that a Cassie player uses will be absolutely perfectly spaced?

And yeah, some projectile animations are very telling. You can teleport them. (I've see some of my Street Fighter playing friends react to some ridiculous shit when they played MK X with me.) And some recover too fast, so, just block/neutral crouch/neutral jump, I guess?

That's the problem with crunching MU numbers, you remove the player out of the equation and assume that everything is done perfect.

loogie

Noob
Are you seriously suggesting that every single B1 that a Cassie player uses will be absolutely perfectly spaced?

And yeah, some projectile animations are very telling. You can teleport them. (I've see some of my Street Fighter playing friends react to some ridiculous shit when they played MK X with me.) And some recover too fast, so, just block/neutral crouch/neutral jump, I guess?

That's the problem with crunching MU numbers, you remove the player out of the equation and assume that everything is done perfect.
you cannot possibly 'flame up' to a Cassie B1 on reaction no matter where she does it on screen, whiff punish or not. if you meant to say punish Cassie for whiffing a b1, with aura .. I am now not sure what you wanted to say.
And why on God's green earth would Cassie be doing raw ground gunshots and not instant air shots vs a character with tele or ex tele (for full combo punish)
so just so we are clear again, the reason it is a bad matchup in your opinion is:
- Cassie has a B1 which is checking Scorp (that should be flamed up on reaction)
- Has a ground shot (that should be tele'd on reaction)
your advice is theoretical if I want to keep my response diplomatic.
Good day!

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
lol I saw people say they react to Sub's 17f B2 but now saying Cassie's 11f B1 and 13f air gun are reactable is way too ridiculous

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist

If you have a character with a fast recovery projectiles and is throwing it expecting to bait TP, you shall never teleport since the risk is on your side, instead try to trade their projectile (specially cage) with Hellfire (db2), if they take you out of your animation with their projectile, you get another free unblockable. which is far more damage then what they get with a projectile trade.

Its just that many people are trained to react to every single projectile with TP instead.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
lol I saw people say they react to Sub's 17f B2 but now saying Cassie's 11f B1 and 13f air gun are reactable is way too ridiculous
there is no reacting to those, i think dingo didn't explained himself well.

When i put flame aura as a move to condition random moves from afar even if Scorp can't punish it on reaction, what can he do is try to predict a moment where those moves will be used and flame up a few instances before as they're willing to press a button.

But still against cassie, backing out with backdash and then s3 punish should be a thing, its just that is really dificult to outspace cassie while using scorpion and with just a step she is in range of her b1 connecting even on block as he is stepping out to properly space it.

Nedyrc

Noob
Hate to be that guy but this is all based on notions that shouldn't and don't happen at high level.

- If you're playing A-List, why in the blue of hell are you doing 113xxNutpunch over 113xxSKRC?
He can teleport after 113 cancel 1 too because scorp leans back while teleporting which makes him hard to hit... Or im slow at that. That was an example anyway. If you mean "just cancel and start blocking" sometimes i use 113 into nutpunch to bait poke attemts. But Scorpion just teleports back to get away in any case except ex nutpunch
- Also nobody uses air teleport as some kind of jump in feint, and even in the situations where that is applicable, everyone has to deal with it the same way.
Somebody uses to bait anti air attempt. "Nobody uses it" doesnt make anyone stop using anti air bait teleport.

- I just now tested your claim that Cage can't punish flame aura and 21xxSKRC into a follow up of choice is working reliably for me. It's not easy to punish, sure, but not many characters do have an easy way to punish it. Failing all that you could just use reversal EX Nutpunch as a punish if you're having that much trouble with it.
I didnt say its imposible to punish LOL. Read again pls. Spoiler: "CANT ALWAYS".

Last edited:

Ze Dingo

I didn't say they were reactable -.-

you cannot possibly 'flame up' to a Cassie B1 on reaction no matter where she does it on screen, whiff punish or not. if you meant to say punish Cassie for whiffing a b1, with aura .. I am now not sure what you wanted to say.
And why on God's green earth would Cassie be doing raw ground gunshots and not instant air shots vs a character with tele or ex tele (for full combo punish)
so just so we are clear again, the reason it is a bad matchup in your opinion is:
- Cassie has a B1 which is checking Scorp (that should be flamed up on reaction)
- Has a ground shot (that should be tele'd on reaction)
your advice is theoretical if I want to keep my response diplomatic.
Good day!
MU numbers ARE theoretical, that's the whole point. The minute you pull up MU numbers, you immediately take the player out of the equation and assume both characters are playing to their max potential.

I'd whiff punish a whiffed B1 with flame aura and not spear because flame aura is 5 frames faster on start-up.

Matix218

Get over here!
I didn't say they were reactable -.-

MU numbers ARE theoretical, that's the whole point. The minute you pull up MU numbers, you immediately take the player out of the equation and assume both characters are playing to their max potential.

I'd whiff punish a whiffed B1 with flame aura and not spear because flame aura is 5 frames faster on start-up.
But what he is getting at is that you can't see the 11f b1 whiff and fa punish it on reaction, especially if it is in that fairly large range where the b1 may have actually hit (in which case you will likely be blocking when playing hellfire since you don't have a move to counter that kind if range in the neutral). And lbsh, that range is the ONLY range where a good cassie will be throwing out a b1. If you catch a whiffed b1 with fa it is essentially because you made a read (correctly) to throw it out and they also happened to whiff their b1, it likely was not on reaction to seeing the b1 actually whiff which does not in any way help swing that matchup into scorpions favor or to even. It is a losing matchup for hellfire.