What's new

Halo: Infinite

Digital Foundry tried out the Campaign Co-Op Flight, and overall it's looking pretty good:

On a complete aside, @Dankster Morgan , can you check something for me? On my Xbox Series X today, the game's tile (on the Dashboard and in my library) changed from the Campaign box art to the Season 2 Multiplayer art. Has it done the same for you? Oddly, this is not the case on my Xbox One X.

Campaign works just fine to, it didn't lock on me or anything.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
It is my favorite game mechanically in a very long time. It just desperately needs more content and some QOL changes like being able to replay individual missions.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Been playing this game on and off online with a buddy over the last couple years and got to say that at this point, it's easily the best multiplayer experience the series has had to offer. Forge mode is silly deep, playlists are great, custom browsers are active enough. Game is tight

Been playing this game on and off online with a buddy over the last couple years and got to say that at this point, it's easily the best multiplayer experience the series has had to offer. Forge mode is silly deep, playlists are great, custom browsers are active enough. Game is tight
Yup, and that's usual with Microsoft's first party titles. They launch buggy and unpolished (sometimes outright broken), but the core gameplay loops are always fantastic and they have extremely high replay values. The developers always fix them up over time however, and once that polish is finally there, the games are fantastic.

My father and I are playing Gears 5 now, but after that, we want to try the new King of the Hill Firefight recently added to Halo Infinite.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
They made quite the comeback. The gameplay loop is incredibly solid, I think if it launched in this state it would be a top 3 Halo game as an overall package. If 343 would just get their shit together this game could still be huge, it’s not too late.

ReD WolF

Lord of the Drip
The current state of Infinite is great IMO. The launch was embarrassing, but they really have made a massive improvement to the overall experience. It never should have released in the manner in which it did, but as a Halo fanboy I can forgive.

ReD WolF

Lord of the Drip
Sadly the case with far too many games today, and not just Microsoft first party titles.
Yea, that is definitely not unique to Microsoft or 343 by any means. It has been a cancerous reoccurrence in the video game industry for years now. The "live
service" business model and the corporatization of videos games has been an absolute disaster for the consumer and the artform of video games.

Yea, that is definitely not unique to Microsoft or 343 by any means. It has been a cancerous reoccurrence in the video game industry for years now. The "live
service" business model and the corporatization of videos games has been an absolute disaster for the consumer and the artform of video games.
Yeah. The way I go about things, I've chosen a select few companies who's games I will buy at launch (NetherRealm Studios, 343 Industries, and I'm seriously considering adding The Coalition to that list). Everyone else, I wait until their games are on sale/patched up.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
It’s only so egregious because we already have a standard of Halo to compare it to.

It’s only so egregious because we already have a standard of Halo to compare it to.
But again, it's not limited to Halo. Bad launches have happened to a host of video game franchise from a wide variety of developers and publishers, including established ones and franchises that are long running.

Just of the top of my head: 343 Industries, NetherRealm Studios, Naughty Dog, Capcom, Respawn Entertainment, Blizzard Entertainment, The Coalition, etc.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
But again, it's not limited to Halo. Bad launches have happened to a host of video game franchise from a wide variety of developers and publishers, including established ones and franchises that are long running.

Just of the top of my head: 343 Industries, NetherRealm Studios, Naughty Dog, Capcom, Respawn Entertainment, Blizzard Entertainment, The Coalition, etc.
No, I agree with you, all of them and MORE, COD MW3 is a fucking disaster. But I don't play those shit games (except Capcom, they've killed it with Resident Evil and DMC for the big releases). Its the standards of the series it fails to meet, not the pathetic "standards" of modern gaming.

I mean that Halo is held to a different standard, of the best console multiplayer with a plethora of modes for sweaty competitive play, casual play, and fun goof off modes, with a top notch FPS campaign with top tier FPS level design and as good of writing as an FPS can get without becoming a movie game. I'd argue Halo Infinite has a lot of these qualities NOW, but it didn't at launch. Its the expectations of a Halo title that makes it upsetting.

Halo Infinite is in a great place now, but they could have the biggest FPS in the world right now. They had huge numbers at launch, but they fumbled it through a miserable lack of content and radio silence. The campaign has an S tier core gameplay loop, but the writing is "okay", and the level design kinda sucks and is super repetitive. It all just screams of needing more time to bake, this could have been the GOAT Halo and put it back on top where it should be.