What's new

Green Lantern General Discussion Thread

BunLantern

Long live b13 minigun
So does anyone have any actual advice for this matchup? I found it exceedingly difficult. In the games I won, I always did it one of two ways.
1. Get some early pressure before Fate could get a lot of meter, and take a big life lead. At this point I was happy to trade EX boulder or EX lantern with Fate's shots from full screen because eventually I would win the attrition war.
2. Push Fate into the corner where I could run the corner blender that I posted about a few posts back, and hurt him enough to get a healthy lead.

The fact that, unlike Deadshot, you can't duck under his shots from fullscreen means that Fate builds an insane amount of meter and, even when blocking properly, it takes me what seems like too much life to get in.

One of my biggest system complains is actually about EX Roll. This is supposed to be the way to get around zoners by spending a bar, but I feel like it doesn't let you start the EX early enough, so I found I was eating shit a lot of the time just trying to actually make the roll on an otherwise correct read. General gripe.

Anyone with notes on this matchup, I'd love to hear what you're doing, or to see any match footage of a Lantern consistently handling a (competent) Dr. Fate. Meanwhile, I'm just going to keep grinding with Dancock and hope I get things closer to 50/50 before Evo hahaha.

Getting the first hit and applying pressure seems like the best way for GL to beat a competent Fate. If you let him get away at the start of a match you're giving him a life lead and a meter lead even if you work your way in perfectly blocking everything (which let's be honest is rare even for a great player). The match up is surely in Fate's favor but there are some things GL can do to get in.

B1 his fireball, it moves you closer faster than crouching in and you avoid the chip. However a meterburn fireball will blow this up and if he has an orb set up on screen this might not be an option. This does nothing to help with Fate gaining a hefty meter advantage.

Use Brick Wall to block orbs and projectiles. This again can be blown up by meter burn projectiles or an orb and a fireball hitting in quick succession. However if timed right it can help to at least keep the meter advantage some what close for if and when you get in.

Land a Bowl Over. If you manage to land a bowl over you can cover some serious ground. It's not the easiest thing to do because Fate recovers much quicker than Lantern but the risk can be worth it. This is usually something to try if nothing else seems to be working.

Traited Battery Blast can help even out zoning. I don't like doing this but sometimes it's necessary in this match up. For a few seconds when trait is active you can at least compete in the zoning war with Fate due to a speedier Battery Blast. The downside is obviously that if you do get in you won't have trait for set ups and bigger damage causing you to use precious meter assuming you even have that.

TLDR: The match up is a pain in the ass and GL has ok options, just no great ones.

I mean I do play wired cause it is better connection and it is the closest you get to playing in person but I think people tripping to hard over this

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
@Alioune that OS is pretty nice. I'mma have to incorporate that.

@KingHippo yeah, bowl is solid for counterzoning due to the hitstun alone, traited is even better simply cuz it knocks down. Trait projectiles in general have pretty solid utility, and I'm pretty sure we get free trait ups after stuff like beam and OCL.

Probably because his damage is trash unless from a f3 or j3 which would come from a setup usually. If he had his old oa's rocket combos GL would be in a better place but maybe a bit too strong, him and wonderwoman are not as strong as the other legacy characters because of their changes imo.

I can guarantee if he had his old toolset Gross would've taken a few games from SonicFox at Combobreaker, heck air rocket would do wonders against DS zoning, instead he has to spend a meter to avoid mb rifle and stay alive lol.

Now it feels like you have to reset and reset to take a bar or have infinite meter to mb lift.

-8, punishable by a lot of the cast. Give it a month people will start punishing it. Unless you MB it but then wall is better to MB on block.

Advantage of ending in 3 is the hard knockdown and you may hit confirm, that's why a lot of players end their combos in 3 or lift. but 223 has set up potential. Ending in traited lift has the most setup potential due to hard knockdown + hit advantage.

It went from a space control move to a hit confirm combo special only. I had a mirror match where i blocked lift, tried to lift punished and it whiffed, and i got punished by lift, it's too unreliable.
seems like air range>ground lift range. good info here. i know some char cant punish b13lantern like deadshot. biggest thing is when people start backdashing b1gap3 and full punish. its very hard though

thekablamster

It's good to be green (uses orange lantern skin)
I've noticed that an option on people not respecting your forward 3 b1-3 mix up is to throw armored b3's. They usually will push the wake up out and get punished. I believe it is cast dependant though because certain characters (aquaman) can blow it up with their wake up game.

Bes110

Noob
Question for all the Green Lantern players. I never played Injustice 1, and I know that Green Lantern is a carry over character from that game. Are the full extent of his strategies and techniques generally considered explored now by his second appearance? Is it even worth me trying to take him into practice mode to try and find new techniques, or should I be focused on mastering what is already known? Appreciate any answers.

PharaohLite

Run Cancels Breh
Ive found that you can end corner combos with enhanced willpower wall, wait a split second, then do a neutral jump 3 for a cross up. You guys think this is worth it, or just stick to the standard 223 into soft knockdown rinse and repeat

PharaohLite

Run Cancels Breh
Question for all the Green Lantern players. I never played Injustice 1, and I know that Green Lantern is a carry over character from that game. Are the full extent of his strategies and techniques generally considered explored now by his second appearance? Is it even worth me trying to take him into practice mode to try and find new techniques, or should I be focused on mastering what is already known? Appreciate any answers.
Yes, he is a legacy character, but every character received a revamp in this game, to some degree. I dont think any characters have been fully fleshed out yet, so take him into the lab, find some tech, and share it with us over here:)

Poser Paul

#1 Unbreakable
Ive found that you can end corner combos with enhanced willpower wall, wait a split second, then do a neutral jump 3 for a cross up. You guys think this is worth it, or just stick to the standard 223 into soft knockdown rinse and repeat
Are you testing sleep on it as well? Do you also think the meter worth with the damage?

Jhonnykiller45

Shirai Ryu
So today I learned something interesting, Willpower Wall can actually block Canary's lv3 Cry. Can be pretty good if you get a read on it to make her waste her trait.

PharaohLite

Run Cancels Breh
So today I learned something interesting, Willpower Wall can actually block Canary's lv3 Cry. Can be pretty good if you get a read on it to make her waste her trait.
Will power wall can block basically every projectile/ranged move in the game. Its really an insane move when you think about it

PharaohLite

Run Cancels Breh
Are you testing sleep on it as well? Do you also think the meter worth with the damage?
You usually have to do an enhanced lanterns might to get the juggle state, so imo, not worth it for 2 bars. I just thought it was interesting. Ill post a video of it in here soon

jharris

I'm not surprised, motherfuckers
hi everyone, whats everyones favourite/most effective cross up set up after the 223 hkd. i know theres alot floating around there just wondering on which is best

Paul the Octopus

Slow Starter
hi everyone, whats everyones favourite/most effective cross up set up after the 223 hkd. i know theres alot floating around there just wondering on which is best
I'm a bit confused by this setup. I see people getting hit by it a lot but I was testing this today, and it seemed like you can just hold back and it will get out of the setup / prevent the ambiguous cross up. The defender moves away from GL before the jump in connects and it never crosses up as long as you hold back the entire time. There seemed to be no way to make it ambiguous ... but I could be missing something.

On the other hand, I found that the opponent can *not* d2 out of this for free. If GL does a meaty j1, it will stuff most down 2s.

Poser Paul

#1 Unbreakable
I'm a bit confused by this setup. I see people getting hit by it a lot but I was testing this today, and it seemed like you can just hold back and it will get out of the setup / prevent the ambiguous cross up. The defender moves away from GL before the jump in connects and it never crosses up as long as you hold back the entire time. There seemed to be no way to make it ambiguous ... but I could be missing something.

On the other hand, I found that the opponent can *not* d2 out of this for free. If GL does a meaty j1, it will stuff most down 2s.
It's mostly for people who sleep, it just guarantees pressure

SamZ

Noob
Can some on explain to me why GL has such poor damage? I could understand if he had another tool or mixups that put him above most of the cast, but from what I can tell he doesn't. Am I missing something?