What's new

General/Other - Goro Goro General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EMPEROR_KNICKS

Master of Kombat(frauds)
I m starting to feel the same way regarding his f3/f2 now as well, especially for certain MU's like this one. That or a better walkspeed. Regarding reversal cl, Takeda has time to block after ex kunai.

This MU seems the hardest i have faced with Goro tbh with you, even harder than Tanya, QC AND KL.
Wait you have trouble with tanya and quan? You can ugh exploit tanyas gaps and option select her stuff, and you out zone her in tigrar fury, quanchi once you get him in the corner with tigrar its a rap. Also my bad i posted so much lol

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
Tigrar is not the way to go as all your projectiles are useless as takedas teleport will punish. Kuatan and dragon fangs are the way to go.
True, I can see that. I'll just stick with KW then.

also this just in. @zoofs that trash ass sub himself will retire from MKX if I win 1 game in a Ft10 with my Goro vs his Sub

27:00 mins in
http://www.twitch.tv/zoofs/v/36882116

Last edited:

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
Wait you have trouble with tanya and quan? You can ugh exploit tanyas gaps and option select her stuff, and you out zone her in tigrar fury, quanchi once you get him in the corner with tigrar its a rap. Also my bad i posted so much lol
No, personaly i dont have any problem with those MU's, i just mentioned them cause those are supposed to be the harder MU's for Goro atm, but i believe SR Takeda takes the cake. I though you saw my latest matches Knick.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
Ok although takeda does win the matchup if goro gets takeda in the corner its a rap, as you break his armor, he cant counter poke, and has to basically hold that. I would personally recommend playing kuatan or dragon fangs, as kuatan can punish takedas gaps very well with chest lunge and groundpound and chest lunge prevent back pedaling. Like i said if you get takeda in the corner its a rap.
Yeah i know, but the thing is, its alot harder than any other MU i have ever faced to get him to the corner, especially SR variation. I play against Nivek and all the strings he is using up close, do not have any gaps.

Espio

Kokomo
You're not winning full screen versus Shirai Ryu Takeda so there's no point in using Tigrar Fury. The goal versus Takeda is to get in, stay in and suffocate him. He has the edge because he's one of the few characters with the ability to control such an insane amount of space that is more potent than forward 3 zone. You're pretty much playing super honest till you get close and/or corner him. One thing about Goro that saves him is a lot of these struggles full screen due to better zoning or better buttons is he gets huge pay offs if he can get his hands on you, it's a lot of patience. Takeda is very exploitable due to weaker pokes and knockdown options. It's doable, but you will be working a bit harder than him.

a lot of these posts should really be in the matchup thread lol

don't have any input on any of the matchups being discussed so i don't have anything to say womp

here's a playlist on characters that can blow up punchwalk, btw

EMPEROR_KNICKS

Master of Kombat(frauds)
No, personaly i dont have any problem with those MU's, i just mentioned them cause those are supposed to be the harder MU's for Goro atm, but i believe SR Takeda takes the cake. I though you saw my latest matches Knick.
I only saw your johnny matches, which like i said were good as fuck, but i didnt watch the other ones. Takeda is a hard matchup, il give you that i thought you meant that it was like his worst matchup and i was disagreeing.

Nuovo_Cabjoy

G O R O B O Y S
Hey dudes. Just had a solid weekend of games offline for the first time in ages so wanted to put some thoughts about Goro that I think are worth discussing. I've loved playing the character for the past few months but have come to realise I've been getting further on people not understanding Goro, and consequently have probably not yet established a strong enough gameplan with Goro and have been convincing myself that he has less problems than he actually does.

First off, I imagine many of you, like myself, like to cancel pokes into punchwalk from time to time to keep the opponent respecting your pokes and prevent them from poking back. After playing against people familiar with the matchup, I've realised this isn't all it's cracked up to be. Patient players will happily hold the block, causing you to punchwalk your way into a -5 situation. In this scenario, I'm often not the strongest with my reads so I'll either be punished for ex punchwalking or give them their turn back. If they do decide to block the poke, Goro's mobility prevents him from back dashing to bait and punish advancing strings or pokes, making it hard to keep the offence going.

Another issue is the utility of his plus frames. While it's definitely great being +2 on most of his strings, he tends to have a harder time using these to condition his opponents compared to other characters. From memory b121 pushes back slightly, meaning you need to walk forward for throw to reach, which effectively eliminated the advantage. D1 or d3 into pw can be good, but then you introduce yourself to the issues I mentioned above. You can't necessarily SG everyone afterwards either, Cassie for one seems to require goro to be completely on top of her for the grab not to whiff. Low and overhead are also quite slow so arent too useful for this situation imo.

Probably the biggest issue for me, though, comes from the utility of his d4. While possibly one of the best d4's in the game, Goro's mobility prevents him from establishing much off an offence when you land it. Yes, you can get a f3 for free but people catch onto this pretty quickly and once again you tend to give them a chance to attack by doing so. Other characters, such as kotal and sub, have the oppunity to run up into strings or throws after a d4 to keep the opponent guessing, though goro's d4 is comparatively limited in its use.

These are all simply my perspective on things and they may not be 100% correct so I'm more than happy to hear everyone's thoughts and what advice you guys may have. :)

@Decay @Metzos @Espio @Cage Redfield @Mortal Komhat

Decay

King of the Bill
Hey dudes. Just had a solid weekend of games offline for the first time in ages so wanted to put some thoughts about Goro that I think are worth discussing. I've loved playing the character for the past few months but have come to realise I've been getting further on people not understanding Goro, and consequently have probably not yet established a strong enough gameplan with Goro and have been convincing myself that he has less problems than he actually does.

First off, I imagine many of you, like myself, like to cancel pokes into punchwalk from time to time to keep the opponent respecting your pokes and prevent them from poking back. After playing against people familiar with the matchup, I've realised this isn't all it's cracked up to be. Patient players will happily hold the block, causing you to punchwalk your way into a -5 situation. In this scenario, I'm often not the strongest with my reads so I'll either be punished for ex punchwalking or give them their turn back. If they do decide to block the poke, Goro's mobility prevents him from back dashing to bait and punish advancing strings or pokes, making it hard to keep the offence going.

Another issue is the utility of his plus frames. While it's definitely great being +2 on most of his strings, he tends to have a harder time using these to condition his opponents compared to other characters. From memory b121 pushes back slightly, meaning you need to walk forward for throw to reach, which effectively eliminated the advantage. D1 or d3 into pw can be good, but then you introduce yourself to the issues I mentioned above. You can't necessarily SG everyone afterwards either, Cassie for one seems to require goro to be completely on top of her for the grab not to whiff. Low and overhead are also quite slow so arent too useful for this situation imo.

Probably the biggest issue for me, though, comes from the utility of his d4. While possibly one of the best d4's in the game, Goro's mobility prevents him from establishing much off an offence when you land it. Yes, you can get a f3 for free but people catch onto this pretty quickly and once again you tend to give them a chance to attack by doing so. Other characters, such as kotal and sub, have the oppunity to run up into strings or throws after a d4 to keep the opponent guessing, though goro's d4 is comparatively limited in its use.

These are all simply my perspective on things and they may not be 100% correct so I'm more than happy to hear everyone's thoughts and what advice you guys may have. :)

Yo, the d4 issue something I was looking into for a while so there's a few things I've done with it. I'll do d4 and on hit confirm I'll ground pound right after (kw) because they typically hold block after getting d4ed. And I also use d4 buffer into telestomp and ex telestomp as a gimmick, it works a lot actually. Good observation though brotha

Mortal Komhat

Worst Well-Established Goro Player Ever
Yeah. Actually playing offline rather than doing rando combos in training mode soured me on the character a tad. I think the biggest problem is that PW being -5, while it's still safe, it's the absolute worst possible situation since it's essentially block, armor or get fucked.

In DF we get -4 with better chip but it's hard to condition myself to not PW and go for spin.

EMPEROR_KNICKS

Master of Kombat(frauds)

Well i dont know if you do, but after your punchwalk alot of players will try to jump so check them with up 1 or 2 and get a full combo,even if it whiffs it has like no recovery so you can armor(or poke if they arent expecting it) basically from what you said, make your opponent hold block when you have a bar since you will start checking there jumps, and if they try to poke your gonna armor, in other words while you have a bar your opponent should be scared to press buttons. If you are doing b121 either do d1 punchwalk or d1 commandgrab. From the looks of it your problem is not establishing the proper meta with goro, because if all your opponent is worrying about is pw in xxpw then they will just jump every time, when you start checking them with up1 into a 30 percent combo, they will stop jumping and if they see a bar they wont poke for fear of xxpw.

EMPEROR_KNICKS

Master of Kombat(frauds)
Yeah. Actually playing offline rather than doing rando combos in training mode soured me on the character a tad. I think the biggest problem is that PW being -5, while it's still safe, it's the absolute worst possible situation since it's essentially block, armor or get fucked.

In DF we get -4 with better chip but it's hard to condition myself to not PW and go for spin.
Not really its more so, block, antiair,armor, or hold that

Espio

Kokomo

I guess I just don't understand what the big deal being -5 is. A lot of characters I use from Kitana to Cage are minus 5 and what not on main strings and Nobody thinks it's a big deal. You have options almost always, but there nothing wrong with just blocking once in a while too. The only real issue of note is his back dash being so weak limits the post blocked punch walk meta game a bit. Back 1,2,1 doesn't have notable push back. Throw, command grab, back 3, all low pokes, 1,2 etc all reach and this also holds true for the vast majority of his plus frames. The fact that forward 3 is guaranteed after down 4 on hit is enough to establish pressure and mind games versus opponents. Goro is comparable to Hawkgirl and Doomsday in the sense that they rely on a lot of conditioning and what not. Nothing is 100% guaranteed for any of them, they're fundamentally honest pressure/footsie characters. The mobility issues are definitely real, but the rest is reads and other things really. Sorry cannot space things as my laptop is gone and on my phone.

Nuovo_Cabjoy

G O R O B O Y S
Well i dont know if you do, but after your punchwalk alot of players will try to jump so check them with up 1 or 2 and get a full combo,even if it whiffs it has like no recovery so you can armor(or poke if they arent expecting it) basically from what you said, make your opponent hold block when you have a bar since you will start checking there jumps, and if they try to poke your gonna armor, in other words while you have a bar your opponent should be scared to press buttons. If you are doing b121 either do d1 punchwalk or d1 commandgrab. From the looks of it your problem is not establishing the proper meta with goro, because if all your opponent is worrying about is pw in xxpw then they will just jump every time, when you start checking them with up1 into a 30 percent combo, they will stop jumping and if they see a bar they wont poke for fear of xxpw.
Yeah I think I may have become too conservative in my post punch walk game, I never used to be but lately I've been trying to rely less on EX punchwalk. As you say though lessening my use of EX PW will just give them free reign to do what they want. The issue I'm having is effectively dealing with reversal throw, it's always been an issue for me. I tend to screw up the EX PW timing so I don't blow through the throw, then I look for alternatives like neutral duck to blow up the throw but smarter players will start poking back with mids or overheads depending on the character. I definitely contest with u2 as well, or d1 if I'm late (and the cross over is d1-able). Other alternative is if they sit there and wait for the EX pw, then block and be brave with contesting the post punchwalk scenario since you're low in meter. In terms of b121, I've had d1 command grab whiff too often for me lately so I'm super hesitant to use it, I prefer raw command grab. And d1 pw puts me back in the situation above, which I'm not super comfortable with at this point.

I guess I just don't understand what the big deal being -5 is. A lot of characters I use from Kitana to Cage are minus 5 and what not on main strings and Nobody thinks it's a big deal. You have options almost always, but there nothing wrong with just blocking once in a while too. The only real issue of note is his back dash being so weak limits the post blocked punch walk meta game a bit. Back 1,2,1 doesn't have notable push back. Throw, command grab, back 3, all low pokes, 1,2 etc all reach and this also holds true for the vast majority of his plus frames. The fact that forward 3 is guaranteed after down 4 on hit is enough to establish pressure and mind games versus opponents. Goro is comparable to Hawkgirl and Doomsday in the sense that they rely on a lot of conditioning and what not. Nothing is 100% guaranteed for any of them, they're fundamentally honest pressure/footsie characters. The mobility issues are definitely real, but the rest is reads and other things really. Sorry cannot space things as my laptop is gone and on my phone.
I've expressed my thoughts on ex pw in reply to knicks, but the main thing that limits his options on -5 for me (compared to some other characters) is that option to backdash. I really just need to work on my conditioning, though.

EMPEROR_KNICKS

Master of Kombat(frauds)
Yeah I think I may have become too conservative in my post punch walk game, I never used to be but lately I've been trying to rely less on EX punchwalk. As you say though lessening my use of EX PW will just give them free reign to do what they want. The issue I'm having is effectively dealing with reversal throw, it's always been an issue for me. I tend to screw up the EX PW timing so I don't blow through the throw, then I look for alternatives like neutral duck to blow up the throw but smarter players will start poking back with mids or overheads depending on the character. I definitely contest with u2 as well, or d1 if I'm late (and the cross over is d1-able). Other alternative is if they sit there and wait for the EX pw, then block and be brave with contesting the post punchwalk scenario since you're low in meter. In terms of b121, I've had d1 command grab whiff too often for me lately so I'm super hesitant to use it, I prefer raw command grab. And d1 pw puts me back in the situation above, which I'm not super comfortable with at this point.

I've expressed my thoughts on ex pw in reply to knicks, but the main thing that limits his options on -5 for me (compared to some other characters) is that option to backdash. I really just need to work on my conditioning, though.
Ok so i know this might sound pretty maniac but if you constantly see that your opponent is going to be using highs and throws, when you dont have bar. Just do a d1 punchwalk, and make sure for example unless that charachter has a 9 frame move other than a poke, make them try to punish your pw with a poke, then that changes the meta as you can counter poke and start pressure. Also(didnt specify so correct me if i am wrong) But if they are pressing buttons after you doing something plus than d1 pw them, so you should start using it more after you have conditioned them.

They need to buff the gravity of his f4 overhead and low fang in the corner so its easier to convert a combo. His corner game would be THE BEST

Espio

Kokomo
It's a balance thing really. Cage and Kitana have unsafe armor/reversals options in most cases and slower pokes whereas Goro's armor options are safe and he has faster pokes, but his back dash is weak. It wouldn't be too good if his back dash was better, but that's the balance/logical side of things.

Nuovo_Cabjoy

G O R O B O Y S
Yeah at the end of the day with all of my current problems playing the character it mostly comes down to me not establishing the overwhelming gameplan goro is known for, and letting my opponent get away with what they want because of it. I think I need to take a break from the big guy and come back fresh after I've spent some time with another character at this point.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!

The general things Goro needs are, better walkspeed, or a faster f3 and a slightly faster d2. As for variations:

Kuatan Warrior: Full animation of ex ground pound on whiff. Some people might say "lol wtf, how is this going to help him?". It will. Trust me. If that happens, people who do not have a teleport will have a much harder time avoiding ground pounds. It might prove usefull against teleports as well, since Its alot faster than regular gp.

Dragon Fangs: Is fine. The only buff i would probably give him, is to be able to meterburn db2 for easier hit confirms.

Tigrar Fury: Fullscreen low fireball, make regular and ex low fireballs faster in order for him to have some true blockstrings into low fireball and FFS make his ex projectile hit mid.

Last but not least, the MOST IMPORTANT buff he should get imo is:

Make his Krush brutality easier to do.

#Freetomatojuice

Status
Not open for further replies.