What's new

General/Other - Goro Goro Buff/Nerf Thread

Sulfur

Winning feels better when you take a little damage
Goro needs a punch walk that starts overhead and a punchwalk that starts low.

chief713

Vertebral Subluxationist
Asking for corrections is one thing, asking for buffs to this character when forever king is the only one so far to show him on stream is ridiculous. We've had what? Two majors? The character may not be the best of the best, but that doesn't necessarily warrant buffs. Did we not learn anything from injustice? Let this character grow first
This isn't a thread for crying for dumb shit that Goro doesn't need; just reasonable changes. I'm all for letting the character grow, but his archetype is obviously gimped. He isn't built like a competitive grappler.

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
Asking for corrections is one thing, asking for buffs to this character when forever king is the only one so far to show him on stream is ridiculous. We've had what? Two majors? The character may not be the best of the best, but that doesn't necessarily warrant buffs. Did we not learn anything from injustice? Let this character grow first
Goro is so bad I get eliminated before i can even get on stream at gga :DOGE

kidding of course

seriously though, I do not think it is too soon to address an issue that almost all goros universally agree on, especially when NRS has been confined to their limited patching schedule

RYX

BIG PUSHER
i think goro needs less recovery on d1 so i can put more d1 in my d1 corner combos

more down 1 = more down FUN

The command grab inputs in this game make characters that have them unplayable for me. Change the Input to half circle or something
I would say thats a scrubby idea but they do seem a little more difficult than normal. I have pretty good execution and still dont land erron blacks command grab consistently., though i dont seem to have trouble with goros. Must be character specific i guess or just tight timing.

And forever king made him look extremely viable which is exactly the opposite of what ive been reading non stop. Goro is by no means broken and may be argueably one of the weaker characters but thats the beautiful thing in this game the low tier is pretty good. Reguarding only 2 majors i would argue that NWM, MWM, Combo Breaker, Toryuken, and even Texas Showdown all had a pretty big entry amounts and alot of the best players at them. Other than that youre absolutely right. That being said ill still be chanting buff goro until MKXI.

Agilaz

It has begun
He needs a viable AA. Give priority to U1/U2 and/or make it faster. This is IMO the only real buff he needs.

Other than that, he needs some QUALITY OF LIFE.

If I spend meter on EX Punchwalk, it should recapture. The fact that it doesn't tells me that this move is broken and not in a good way. Having an EX move land partially and potentially getting punished for it is NOT a balance thing, it's bad design.

And then there's B12U2. Why is it inconsistent? Why is the game penalizing me even when I land B12?

Make it consistent - landing B12 should GUARANTEE the U2 lands.

Again, these last two things are not buffs, but fixes. Whoever tries to defend those shortcomings as "balance" is certifiably insane, considering Goro is one of the few honest characters in the game.

Edit: Oh, and while I understand some of the frustrations of this being another "buff pls" thread, I don't think it's a bad idea. Kenshi got the Sinestro treatment, after all, and it's not like us Goro players are asking too much.

Last edited:
Goros moves are all stupidly slow. I think he should at least be able to pick people up after F4 if they are crouching in the corner so it actually has a use so its worth the risk doing, I also Vote for U2 to be faster or have more priority.

D_Matt_Ma

Sheeva isn't Goro's wife. Goro is her husband.
As dumb as this sounds, Goro has let me down as a Sheeva replacement. Sheeva had one thing going for her, and that was no one EVER jumps on Sheeva, which made her the advancing wall. This Goro may have a throw, but it sucks unless you're in a corner. Good luck when he's free to jumps and is the slowest character in the game.

U1/2 should be that move. It's not. His uppercut is a joke compared to Sheeva's too. Although neither was fast, hers had absurd horizontal range. Goro's is a generic slow uppercut that hits hard.

AND PLEASE CHANGE THE INPUT ON DRAGON FANG DIAGONOL DB2. MAKE IT DIAGONOL DF2 SO IT DOESN'T KEEP OVERLAPPING WITH THE DB2 SPIN!!!

chief713

Vertebral Subluxationist
Goros moves are all stupidly slow. I think he should at least be able to pick people up after F4 if they are crouching in the corner so it actually has a use so its worth the risk doing, I also Vote for U2 to be faster or have more priority.
He can. D.1 connects off of F.4 in the corner.

AND PLEASE CHANGE THE INPUT ON DRAGON FANG DIAGONOL DB2. MAKE IT DIAGONOL DF2 SO IT DOESN'T KEEP OVERLAPPING WITH THE DB2 SPIN!!!
Lol, that input is so annoying.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
he's bad to jumps because his options for moving out of the way are abysmal

Goro could use some small combination of the following (in my opinion):
- Better dashes, forward and back
- Better walk speed, forward/back
- Better run

Minor improvements to each would go a long way in solidifying him as a reversal monster since with superior forward movement, he'd be able to trip guard much easier (which solves his issue against jump ins). Better backwards movement means he could distance himself and play his own game, along with backdashing with more ease on a good read

D_Matt_Ma

Sheeva isn't Goro's wife. Goro is her husband.
From a design perspective, instead of speeding up his uppercut and raise the roof, how about we add armor to the last few frames? Personally, I want u1/2 to be sped up AND have armor, but maybe a slower uppercut in return for armor on the last few frames and more block stun would be truer to the slow monster he's supposed to be

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
I ll just post again, since this thread is the right one to do so.

Reliable AA option (either give him a solid AA throw, which i dont see it happening, or a solid uppercut).

Slight increase on his walkspeed or run.

He does not need damage increase. That would be too much IMO. Just dont finish your combos with SG, finish them with pw for wall carry, you only lose 1 or 2% dmg.

Thats all.

And btw Forever King playing against Sonic Fox was not the best example as to what Goro is lacking. You cant judge if a character needs buffs or not, from one match, especially if your opponent is not very familiar with the particular MU.

No one can argue that Goro is free against jump ins ( as is most of the cast, this should be a universal buff).

Most uppercuts NEED to be buffed to be a more reliable AA option in general (ofc dont buff uppercuts that are already extremely good, like Jax's for example).

Agilaz

It has begun

Reliable AA option (either give him a solid AA throw, which i dont see it happening, or a solid uppercut).

He does not need damage increase. That would be too much IMO. Just dont finish your combos with SG, finish them with pw for wall carry, you only lose 1 or 2% dmg.

Thats all.

And btw Forever King playing against Sonic Fox was not the best example as to what Goro is lacking. You cant judge if a character needs buffs or not, from one match, especially if your opponent is not very familiar with the particular MU.

No one can argue that Goro is free against jump ins ( as is most of the cast, this should be a universal buff).

Most uppercuts NEED to be buffed to be a more reliable AA option in general (ofc dont buff uppercuts that are already extremely good, like Jax's for example).

A little bit of topic, but concerning D2's, I agree they should be chanced. Not just buffed, but changed.

I agree they need to be more reliable over all, but they shouldn't be safe. Uppercuts are safe against Goro.

I took Goro and Mileena to the lab because I had lost to some Mileena's D2 online tactics, set Goro to do a random reversal and start throwing out D2s.

PW and EX PW can be blocked after a blocked D2.

SG obviously doesn't even reach.

Telestomp can be dashed. EX Telestomp can also be dashed, though it's a little stricter on the timing.

Chest bump can be blocked.

Ground pound can be jumped (and punished, lol)

Fireballs can be blocked.

Spin? Nope. Ex spin? Ex nope.

Then I set her to do D2 and I would manually try to punish them.

Strings aren't fast enough or don't reach far enough to punish. F3 can be blocked, F4 can be blocked, anything else just doesn't reach.

SaJa

FH_FenriR
Goro needs more armor on his punchwalk

More seriously, he needs a better b12u2 (that string whiff too much), and an anti-air.

How about Goros u2 be a 6f startup? Wham bam thank you mam. His normals have lots of recovery and hes slow as shit but now hes not helpless to jumping

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast

Thats all.

agreed, his damage is fine

high 30's for a bar is solid enough

Zephyrus

TYM resident party pooper
Goro needs to not get jumped on so easily. That's the one change he desperately needs. Speed up his d2 or speed up and improve the priority/hitbox on u1/u2. Bigass grapplers shouldn't be free to jumps.

I also want spin to pop up without meter because as it stands right now, it's redundant when he already has Punchwalk and renders Dragon Fangs pretty useless.
it's not useless. It scales less than ex punch walk which in turn makes combos deal more damage