What's new

"Golden Punches" and it's Tactical Usage.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Even now, the game is evolving. This is a good thing people, it may be very annoying but you can get around it.

Konqrr said:
No, I press HP first, then HP+Block at the same time and keep holding block from there while I keep the jabs going.
You can press block in between the first and second punch, too. I usually do HP, BL(hold), HP, HP, etc. Sometimes I'll mix up HP and LP if I'm looking anti-air. If I'm rushing down, I usually use mostly LP.

FWIW, standing kara jabs shuts down almost all lobby Scorp turtles. As for Mil, Liu, Jax spammers... find something else. Scorp turtles are nearly helpless against a good Shang/Cage kara jabber and don't do particularly well against Kit or Mil, either. Obviously this tactic doesn't work a well against, say, Kensi and Yung type players. For me, nothing really works against those guys!

X820

Noob
Konqrr said:
Even now, the game is evolving. This is a good thing people, it may be very annoying but you can get around it.
Well this isn't very new, in fact it's very old.. never made public like this though, for overall gameplay I for one think it should have stayed that way :)

Like other dirty little secrets.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
X820 said:
Well this isn't very new, in fact it's very old.. never made public like this though, for overall gameplay I for one think it should have stayed that way :)

I know, I wasn't just referring to this tactic.

GoldenOreos

Arcade Tech
everything secret wise should be released imo due to maybe it will make people better and not have them quit b.c they r gerbage lol i for one could have used this info when starting but i figured out alot on my own and from people i played

X820 said:

I don't see the harm. No offense to dookie, but it's pretty useless. For aaHP, it works maybe 20% of the time (unless opp. tries a deep JK), versus actually timing a single aaHP, which I can usually land 85% of the time.
You can't move while you're doing golden punches, and your opponent knows exactly what you're doing. You might as well be just standing there blocking.

If anyone can show me it being used effectively in an actual top-tier battle, maybe I'll change my mind about it.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
It has it's uses, but for the most part I agree with John.

Doing them with characters like Sub or Reptile just tell your opponent to come over and get some free chip damage off you!

dudemcrude said:
You can press block in between the first and second punch, too. I usually do HP, BL(hold), HP, HP, etc. Sometimes I'll mix up HP and LP if I'm looking anti-air. If I'm rushing down, I usually use mostly LP.

FWIW, standing kara jabs shuts down almost all lobby Scorp turtles. As for Mil, Liu, Jax spammers... find something else. Scorp turtles are nearly helpless against a good Shang/Cage kara jabber and don't do particularly well against Kit or Mil, either. Obviously this tactic doesn't work a well against, say, Kensi and Yung type players. For me, nothing really works against those guys!
Its extremely useful in high level play. If your opponent jumps at you, golden punches have a higher chance of aaHP then a single aaHP. if you miss a single aaHP attempt, you get punished. there is NO such thing as getting punished by golden punching aaHP, if you miss, you simply get cancelled with a block. I was golden punching aaHP against Konqrrs invisible reptile, you could never effectivly do that by a single aaHP when he is invisible, and if i missed, i block. its 100 times better then regular aaHP, its the ONLY aaHP that is %100 safe. a single NON- golden punch aaHP can get punished. golden punch aaHP cannot be punished in anyway, if you miss you block. %100 fool proof aaHP. and this is how i use them mainly, as a aaHP shield.

whats better, aaHP that can get punished if you miss, especially against shang, baraka? Or "golden punching aaHP" which cannot be punished in anyway? a single aaHP has only 1 chance of connecting, golden aaHP throws out about 3 to 5 punches real quick, increasing your aaHP chances of connecting and also creating more of a shield then a single aaHP. there's no question about it, golden punch aaHP is better. you cant do a aaHP shield without them.

high level golden punch demo coming.

I personally dont like this tactic, never have...IMO the only 2 players that it might be useful for is jax with gp, and kang because he has so many damn options. I have never really see it be useful for anyone, except maybe dvd, scorpangel, and dookie with mileena. When people try to it, its kid of a no brainer to get around, just dont jump in!
It is also kind of annoying when someone does it the whole match at the other end of the screen. Ill confirm what john said, I like a single aahp, I land a death punch a high frequency of the time, and it just looks so much damn cooler.

dookiebrain said:
you could never effectivly do that by a single aaHP when he is invisible,
I've done it (twice in one session). Just ask Aria.. :D

And it is possible to do a well-timed single "golden" aaHP. I do it all the time just out of sweep range when I'm not sure if my opponent is going to throw a projectile at me or jump at me.

Anyway, I'm super-interested in your video now, dookie. :)

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Dookie...

Learning to do aaHP is extremely easy and safe.

Why? Because you KARA JAB (HP~Block). This makes the jab connect if it is going to connect (the block never comes out if the jab hits) and you will block if the jab misses. This has been the way of using aaHP since 1993 in MK1. 100% safe, the same way you explained Golden Punching.

The real use of Golden Punching (GP) is to close the distance safely while attacking. Sort of an advancing guard. It's never truly used to get random aaHP's, that's just icing on the cake. Throw a few GP and see what they do then act accordingly.

@john, your right about not being able tomove while golden punching, but then again you cannot move while doing ANY move in MK2, any time any move is executed in mk2, your sprite stops to do that move. you cant move and do anything simultaneously in MK2, even if you throw a projectile while in the air, your character has stopped moveing in air to throw that projectile. so its no different.

im not sure any of you have seen offensive golden punching used too much ever before. I think you guys are assuming that whoever is golden punching is at the other end of the screen punchign at nothing. Offensivley this can be used, you can for ex,lp,lp,lp,lp at close range (jab pressure) then in the middle start golden punching and you will be punching over their heads, they cannot get out of it.

I am making a video on this, you will see how i mix them up for OFFENSIVE pressure use, not standing at other side of screen punching at nothing (although there have been times...lmao)

this is no different then the average predicatable tactic, just like anything else, you have to know when and when not to use them.

@Aria, i agree except 1 thing, 1 single aaHP doesnt take off the same energy nearly, its only 1 punch. when you golden aaHP its 3 to 5 punches, and it knockes them higher in the air then a single aaHP, giving you way more room to finish with a combo after your punches. i see what you are saying with 1 single aaHP. but that can get punished. golden aaHP is IMPOSIBLE to defeat. when it gets defeated it ends up turning into a block for your protection. single aaHP does in now way act as a shield. golden aaHP does.

we all have tactics that we like and dislike, but thats not what this thread is about.

i think me and dudemcrude are about the only people who have seen why scropion gets shut the fuck down with this, no spear, no teleport punch. what can he do except chip away and run away? and you can stop the running too, chase scorp into corner and golden punch over his head, no options, hes dead, cant escape unless cross jumps you. cant spear,nothing. almost fucks up the tier for scorp vs cage huh? but without those punches used against scorp, scorp is his usual self.

me and david_GEM and btbb have tried this matchup. cage was the victor.

im gonna make a video of offensive golden punching mixed with normal jab pressure, its fucking awsome. and im also gonna TRY to make a golden punching teir list because there are certain benefits for certain characters and certain characters shut down other characters special moves, notice i said "TRY". One thing is for sure, this fucks up lots of moves against others when golden is being done.

liu kang is COMPLETE garbage against golden punching, when not doing golden punching against kang he is like #1, but do golden punchign on kang and he is officially crap, NO FLY KICks, NO BIKE KICKS......how? they are cancelled instantly. kang is the easiet person to defeat for me now, what can he do? all you have to do is inch him into corner with golden punching and kangs options are almost all gone. i almost thing this tactic is the only tactic that can somehow change the tier list. Im no expert on tier list,but it seems to make sense to me unless im wrong.

anyone wanna try kang against my words? send me invite. i will show you how you no longer have the ability to hit me with 1 fly kick or bike kick (either they will be aaHP'd or blocked), and i will inch you into corner and the only thing you can do is a cross over jump. how is kang #1 after that? he isnt. and that can be done with anyone against kang, ill even use cage,lmao.

my oppinions, nothing more.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
dookiebrain said:
this is no different then the average predicatable tactic, just like anything else, you have to know when and when not to use them.
QFT^^

Liu can beat you with 100 blocked fireballs, he's still top tier no matter what you do to him.

forget what i said about the tier list, i have no idea what makes or determines a tier list so i cant comment on that (my bad). Konqrr your dead right about that.

very true Scheisse. but as far as the fly kick and bike kick, they are useless against golden punching from what i have seen anyway. i have been doing aaHP since the games heyday, but for me golden provides aaHP on steroids, more punches, sends opponent higher in air due to more punches, more combo possibilities because of that.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
ScheissNussen said:
I always felt like doing a kara jab for aaHp in mk2 was less likely to connect than one that was committed, and less likely to get maximum dp damage.
You cannot do DP if you do a kara jab. The jab is only active for one frame when you do a kara jab so that nullilfies it.

Against characters like Male Ninjas and Jax though, you can easily time a normal aaHP and get DP on command.

This may or may not qualify as golden punching, but I feel that it's in the vicinity. Why does a single, standing, high punch sometimes result in significant damage? I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. Anyone have an idea on why it occurs?

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Ththuvhul said:
This may or may not qualify as golden punching, but I feel that it's in the vicinity. Why does a single, standing, high punch sometimes result in significant damage? I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. Anyone have an idea on why it occurs?
That's the Death Punch (DP that we've been referring to)

Konqrr said:
That's the Death Punch (DP that we've been referring to)
yeah man wtf is up with that, you guys are doing "death punching" timed and on purpose? how? and wtf causes this? Aria, you are doing that on purpose and everytime? huh?

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Yeah, it's on purpose lol

Go into vs mode (or mame with inf health) to practice. Make sub/sco/rep/jax/raiden/liu jump kick you and just practice doing aaHP on them. Don't do the kara jab if you want to get a death punch.

It's a risk/reward situation. If you want DP, then you take the risk of being hit but the trade off is in your favor if you hit because you do like 35% from landing the DP and with some characters like Liu/Scorp/Mil/Jax, you get followup attacks for even more damage.

Actually learning to time your aaHP is helpful because you are expecting to land the punch and can combo accordingly, if you are spamming GP's and you happen to connect an aaHP or two, you have to react to the hit confirm and more often than not, you drop the combo because you weren't expecting to land it.

On the other hand, timing the single aaHP as a kara jab is more effective because it is an option select. You do HP~Block and if it hits you kara the jab (recover faster) and finish the combo you were planning on doing. If the jab doesn't hit, you block the jump attack and the followup move you do after the aaHP doesn't come out because you went into the block animation. You do one move and it works for you in both situations, hit or miss. It's a win/win situation.

Konqrr said:
Yeah, it's on purpose lol

Go into vs mode (or mame with inf health) to practice. Make sub/sco/rep/jax/raiden/liu jump kick you and just practice doing aaHP on them. Don't do the kara jab if you want to get a death punch.

It's a risk/reward situation. If you want DP, then you take the risk of being hit but the trade off is in your favor if you hit because you do like 35% from landing the DP and with some characters like Liu/Scorp/Mil/Jax, you get followup attacks for even more damage.

Actually learning to time your aaHP is helpful because you are expecting to land the punch and can combo accordingly, if you are spamming GP's and you happen to connect an aaHP or two, you have to react to the hit confirm and more often than not, you drop the combo because you weren't expecting to land it.

On the other hand, timing the single aaHP as a kara jab is more effective because it is an option select. You do HP~Block and if it hits you kara the jab (recover faster) and finish the combo you were planning on doing. If the jab doesn't hit, you block the jump attack and the followup move you do after the aaHP doesn't come out because you went into the block animation. You do one move and it works for you in both situations, hit or miss. It's a win/win situation.

i been doing aaHP for years, once i saw the aaHP possibilites with Golden punching compared to regular aaHP, i never went back to standard aaHP. more hits(3 to 5 aaHP punches compared to 1), sends opponents higher in air for combos, plus i can stay proactive, i can constantly buff out of continual punches. matter of fact, its a protective shield for buffing moves/combos.

aside from golden, how and wtf cause that death punch shit, i have done it by accident during deep aaHP, is that what causes it?

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
dookiebrain said:
aside from golden, how and wtf cause that death punch shit, i have done it by accident during deep aaHP, is that what causes it?
Any jab has around 4 active frames where it can hit you. If you connect a jab on the first frame and do not cancel it, the jab will hit once for every active frame. (as long as both players are positioned right)

There is no way you are getting any more than two jabs to connect when someone jumps in on you. If you are referring to them standing there getting hit by several jabs because they aren't blocking, then ok...but it's not happening in the air. One or two jabs is all you get.

john2kx said:
I've done it (twice in one session). Just ask Aria.. :D
True that

@ Konqrr-Youre right about us not knowing the true def of a dp, heres my view (i might be redundant). My definition-increased chip damage with one aahp, or multiple hps.

I can pretty much aahp at any given time (-lag, -baraka - shang), but a dp doesnt always come out....but, I can create a combo from a single aahp (not dp), with a quick jk, if im fast enough aahp, jumping hp/hk, projectile/special move. Lately, I have even been able to create a combo with a dp, I think I was mileena and of all people kensi (fastest reflexes on the psn) and i was able to dp, roll, jump hp, roll (was in the corner). I dont know if the 1st roll was blockable (konqrr?) or not, because I think that was the end of the match.

So, dookie yeah i can do it a lot, not on command, but I land it a lot, john2k and real_talk do too. The risk is worth it for me IMO, because either way youre doing damage.