What's new

"Golden Punches" and it's Tactical Usage.

"Golden Punching" and it's Tactical usage FAQ.

First and foremost, golden punching exists in Mk1-MK4 (no golden punching exists in any MK after MK4), and in all playable versions of them, ALL homeport's and arcade versions, mame, etc.

USE:

Golden Punching is for baiting opponents, close range tactics, buffing combos and/or special moves out of other moves and/or blocking tactics, keeping you pro-active in whatever tactics you are employing.

EFFECT's of Golden punching:

Golden Punching creates a "Insta-block" effect.

ex:
If your opponent is scorpion and you are Golden punching and he tries to teleport punch you,golden punching INSTANTLY blocks the teleport punch no matter when he does. thus shutting down his teleport punch almost entirely (if done in a smart manner). same with his spear at close range. these moves are punishable instantly when you golden punch. the opponent thinks you are "open" for attack but in fact you are not, so they will go in for an attack thinking that you are open. once they attack if you golden punch, you can instantly punish them.

ex#2: If your opponent is Liu Kang, you can inch your way forward with these punches, these pucnhes will shutdown his fly kick COMPLETELY, if he fly kicks you while you are golden punching, it is either instantly blocked or aaHP'd out of the air.

after time of using this, you will start to learn how you can use it and when. you will also learn the aaHP possibilities of using them as well.

HOW TO DO "Golden punching"

1. for HP or LP, simple start to punch as fast as you can. WHILE you are in the process of non-stop punching, press block. But never stop punching when you go to press block. in other words, you never stop punching while press block. but you need to start the punches before you proceed to press block.

if you have done this correctly, you will notice the ability to punch while you are pressing block at the same time, normally this is not possible at all.

2. simultaneous HP and LP, start punching with this combination (dookies home brew,lol), HP,LP,HP,LP,HP,LP,(press block while punching)continue to HP,LP,HP,LP,HP,LP, until your golden punching has done its job. you detrmine what you are using it for in your own situation. when i say "do its job" i mean, punish whatever move you instantly block. simultaneously using HP and LP increase your chances of punishing opponent. more punches, more protection,highs and mids. ex. kang can no longer fly-kick you, scorp can no longer spear or teleport on you, most of the time.

HOW TO PUNISH GOLDEN PUNCHES BEING USED AGAINST YOU:

1. know what to look for
2. dont attack at close range
3. know when opponent is TRUELY open for attack and when they are not really open for attack
4. NO JUMPING AT THEM (this is aaHP to combo paradise for them)
5. Know the difference between normal jabbing vs Golden punching, they can be mixed up against you causing total confusion.

WHAT DEFEATS GOLDEN PUNCHING?

1. nothing, unless a sweep. thats why you have to hold DDB while you are golden punching to prevent a sweep because the only actual move that beats Golden Punching is a sweep.
2. chip damage
3. staying away from opponent

UP CLOSE GOLDEN PUNCHING TACTICS:

This is where this shit is put to use!!

There are so many combinations and ways to use Golden Punching. Here is a good example of close kombat jabbing tactics mixed with Golden punching tactics, please see the benefits:

ex:

(start with normal jabs then go to golden punching at close range)

1. lp,lp,lp,lp,lp,hp,lp,hp,lp(block)hp,lp,hp,lp,hp,lp

see picture, once you make the transition into golden punching AFTER up-close jabbing by putting them into 1 variation, 1 of 2 thing will happen:

1. Either you will continue to golden punch until they attack (usually a low tow or low kick). ONCE THEY ATTACK YOUR GOLDEN PUNCHING YOUR GOLDEN PUNCHING GETS CANCELLED INSTANTLY WITH A BLOCK.
2. OR they will try to escape by jumping away, thus getting punched, they will not be able to jump away from your golden punching at closest range possible, cant be done at all.

*there is a learning curve for this, this isnt easy at all, try it!!!!

"Golden Punching" and it's Tactical Usage.

frznsldr said:
giving away the secrets man.
nobody will be interested in this, to much of a frustrating learning curve. this shit is not easy at all. it took me about 6 months to see the capabilities of this. nobody will be interested unless they see what the capabilities are. you cant just start doing this, it takes time.

on the other hand frzn, you have gotten quite damn good with them!!!!

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana

I'll have to make a video of me doing the button presses.

If you do them up close and don't hit block almost immediately, then you are susceptible to sweeps or whatever.

My method of pressing Jab, Jab+Hold Block, keep tapping Jab achieves the block very early.

Konqrr said:
I'll have to make a video of me doing the button presses.

If you do them up close and don't hit block almost immediately, then you are susceptible to sweeps or whatever.

My method of pressing Jab, Jab+Hold Block, keep tapping Jab achieves the block very early.
@Konqrr, do you mean you start instantly by holding block? do you do this:

hp+block at the same time first, then start the punches? damn, i might have to try that one, i do lp,hp(block),lp,hp,lp,hp.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana

dookiebrain said:
@Konqrr, do you mean you start instantly by holding block? do you do this:

hp+block at the same time first, then start the punches? damn, i might have to try that one, i do lp,hp(block),lp,hp,lp,hp.
No, I press HP first, then HP+Block at the same time and keep holding block from there while I keep the jabs going.

Konqrr said:
No, I press HP first, then HP+Block at the same time and keep holding block from there while I keep the jabs going.
nice, i dont know how the fuck i started doing lp,hp then block and then stay doing lp,hp,lp,hp. i like that combination because it seems to cover mid's and highs with punches, like a shield in a way. but one thing is for sure, it took me a long time to get used to doing it. I remember when i first started doing it i thought, "what the fuck is this useless garbage?", now i wouldn't trade it for the world.

GoldenOreos said:
and then you have those kids on xbl that say your cheating lol
yeah ive noticed the UMK3 xbl live community has lots of golden punches in use. it hasn't really hit the mk2 scene online yet, a few at least. its in every single mk1-mk4 version ever made, cant see how it was an accident in the game. Ive tested on every playable port, its even in mkgold......lmao, and in arcade,lol.

dubson

Noob

It's just a lot less effective in MKII compared to UMK3.

I'm not saying it isn't effective by any means, but it is a lot more practical in UMK3.

Projectile chip damage is huge in MKII, opposed to UMK3, where it is basically tedious.

And that in turn makes you have to move in on them (in UMK3) and with more characters than in MKII, one anti air jab can mean half your life.

"Golden Punching" in UMK3 has barely seen any use in the arcade/tournament scene, and I am unaware as to why. With characters like Kabal and Human Smoke, if done right, it can be almost impossible to get in on them (especially with a life lead).

dubson said:
It's just a lot less effective in MKII compared to UMK3.

I'm not saying it isn't effective by any means, but it is a lot more practical in UMK3.

Projectile chip damage is huge in MKII, opposed to UMK3, where it is basically tedious.

And that in turn makes you have to move in on them (in UMK3) and with more characters than in MKII, one anti air jab can mean half your life.

"Golden Punching" in UMK3 has barely seen any use in the arcade/tournament scene, and I am unaware as to why. With characters like Kabal and Human Smoke, if done right, it can be almost impossible to get in on them (especially with a life lead).
yeah dude def, when i see it in umk3 it fucking scares me. I see total different possibilities with it in umk3 then in mk2. plus mixing it up with jab run rush downs,omg.......

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana

I'm not sure it works in MK4. Jabs can't be cancelled in that game like they can in MK1-3. Correct me if I'm wrong please.

Golden punching in MKII with Scorpion who has a lifelead is pretty scary lol

u r correct bout scorp konqrr...hahaha he's nasty wth gp's w/ a life lead.

Konqrr said:
I'm not sure it works in MK4. Jabs can't be cancelled in that game like they can in MK1-3. Correct me if I'm wrong please.

Golden punching in MKII with Scorpion who has a lifelead is pretty scary lol
Im just about %100 certain it works in mk4, the reason i know is because about 3 to 4 months ago wazz posted how to get mk4 or mkgold for mame (i forget which version) and i was able to get on, the first thing i did was check goldens, they worked. If you can though double check because now i wanna make sure. i remember saying to myself, "wow they work in this too"

Hmmm... I've done this before but I thought it was a glitch. I remember practicing late one night with a local friend and I was jabbing then pressed block but continued to jab. At first I was thinking wth then a spear was thrown at me and it "insta blocked" it. I haven't really tried it since but I will definitely practice with this. If I'm not mistaken you were doing that alot to me weren't you Dookie, lol. I've been practicing mgp and mbk alot here lately I can do it 100 percent of the time using 2 fingers, but I'm getting a lot better with it just using my thumb or middle finger. I bet mgp and mbk are easier on bigger arcade style buttons.

dubson

Noob

It is certainly a valuable technique that is used in competitive/serious kombat play, and deserves to be elaborated on.

This is a good thread to do that with, and for newbies to get a real definition of it.

Some videos should also be made.

Good shit, dooks.

I guess it can be useful for baiting your opponent once in a while, but if you do it all the time, your opponent will just catch on right away, and you might as well just be standing there blocking.

I don't use it that often because it's literally uncomfortable for me to start up.. it's like patting your head and rubbing your belly, but with one hand.. lol. That kind of finger dexterity just seems unnatural to me.

dubson said:
It is certainly a valuable technique that is used in competitive/serious kombat play, and deserves to be elaborated on.

This is a good thread to do that with, and for newbies to get a real definition of it.

Some videos should also be made.

Good shit, dooks.
thanks man

john2kx said:
I guess it can be useful for baiting your opponent once in a while, but if you do it all the time, your opponent will just catch on right away, and you might as well just be standing there blocking.

I don't use it that often because it's literally uncomfortable for me to start up.. it's like patting your head and rubbing your belly, but with one hand.. lol. That kind of finger dexterity just seems unnatural to me.
correct, just like any other tactic that can be predictable. and yeah it is weird on your fingers. I use them most as an air shield and for aaHP while acting as a shield. I tend to use them up close and they really do act as a shield in a way.

GoldenOreos

Arcade Tech
i figured this out when i first started to get into this game, i was doing it before i actually knew juggles lol......but it gets annoying if ur opponent is just sitting there doing standing golden punches.....though it is very effective

I only do one punch at a time normally and look retarded trying to do any more lol i guess ill try it again.. I will usually just sit there blocking and wait for whoevers doing it to stop then approach