What's new

Going Sherlock on the DLC

As you may or may not know, NRS are planning 19 DLC characters for the game, which equals 3 Kombat packs of 6 characters each + Shao Khan.

We already know of the first 9 characters:
Shang Tsung
Nightwolf
Fujin
Sindel
Sheeva
Ash Williams
Joker
Spawn
Terminator

This should account for the first and half the second packs, which leaves 9 other characters.

See how NONE of the DLC characters have an assist item in the game like the ones for Onaga, Nitara, Stryker, Takeda, Kung Jin and so on?

We can safely assume that characters that do not have Konsumables for their assists are possible DLC, and I mean Konsumables that states the Characters ARE the ones assisting you, so gloves of characters do not count.

This includes:
Shujinko
Havik
Hotaru
Kobra
Smoke
Ashrah
Daegon
Ferra/Torr
Goro
Kintaro
Kai
Darrius
Dairou

Maybe some do have assists that I didn't come across, and maybe I missed potential characters.

I know we won't be getting Goro/Kintaro because Sheeva, but Goro as Onaga's vessel sounds like a possiblity.

Also I'd like to mention the 2 characters that fall in the grey area:
Kenshi and Shinnok

Both have assists, but their assists do not state they are the ones doing the assisting, only that you're calling upon their power.

This plays into the possibility of having Shinnok on the same game as his sister, and Kenshi in the same game as Shang Tsung.

But I'm probably reaching since I'm a fan of both, especially Kenshi.

What do you think?

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
Very nicely put. I agree with everything you said.

However, and yes, I know that MKX kinda confirms/deconfirms it, but I would put Cyrax and Sektor in the maybes. Kinda confirmed because Tanya and BoRaiCho. Kinda deconfirmed because Rain and Baraka.

Also, Shao Kahn isn't the 19th DLC character. He has his own slot in the leak.

Very nicely put. I agree with everything you said.

However, and yes, I know that MKX kinda confirms/deconfirms it, but I would put Cyrax and Sektor in the maybes. Kinda confirmed because Tanya and BoRaiCho. Kinda deconfirmed because Rain and Baraka.

Also, Shao Kahn isn't the 19th DLC character. He has his own slot in the leak.
I am under the impression that Cyrax and Sektor moves will be given to Terminator, similar to how Alien was given Barraka moves in MKX.

But that 19th slot could be Triborg as a possible stand alone DLC.

JINNOCIDE

I only show up when a new game's around
I seriously think it's a good thing if we all agree that we actually don't know that the DLC are CHARACTERS (I know they're in a different section from stages). 19 seems a jump way higher than Injustice 2. For now, all we know is that 9 characters are confirmed, and that's it.

Please keep your expectations low with this.

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
I seriously think it's a good thing if we all agree that we actually don't know that the DLC are CHARACTERS (I know they're in a different section from stages). 19 seems a jump way higher than Injustice 2. For now, all we know is that 9 characters are confirmed, and that's it.

Please keep your expectations low with this.
We know they are character placeholders. Now, we are not sure whether NRS will actually MAKE 19 characters as DLC, but they are at least considering it. Skins, gear and stages do not use the EXP code letters. The characters do. As well as the 19 DLCs. There is also the line which asks if you will buy Kombat Pack 3.

JINNOCIDE

I only show up when a new game's around
We know they are character placeholders. Now, we are not sure whether NRS will actually MAKE 19 characters as DLC, but they are at least considering it. Skins, gear and stages do not use the EXP code letters. The characters do. As well as the 19 DLCs. There is also the line which asks if you will buy Kombat Pack 3.
I see. Thanks for clarifying. :)

Afumba

Noob
Smoke has an item. He assists you with a smoke bomb.

Except for Havik and Ashrah all those 3D era characters you mentioned should stay were they are... gone for good.

If Havik and Ashrah are in, this game will be the absolute best so far. Just this. Just to think of a game reuniting Sindel, Ashrah, Havik, Jade, Noob, Nightwolf, Kabal... It really is a shame Tanya and Bo probably have no chance :(

Yes, I'm a Deception whore.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
I am under the impression that Cyrax and Sektor moves will be given to Terminator, similar to how Alien was given Barraka moves in MKX.

But that 19th slot could be Triborg as a possible stand alone DLC.
Very good thread btw.
I honestly believe Cyrax and Sektor have a great possibility of making DLC as Triborg type characters but mostly stand alone characters.
They are already designed in appearance and most of thier base moves are basically finished. Many if thier moves are Triborg moves but that is something NetherRealm has done on many previous games with many characters. They have borrowed moves from the previous game to slap dlc together. They are always in a rush.
But I also remember Sektor having a character ending in the switch files so there's that. The story mode being heavily focused on Cyber Initiative and the fact they like Ketchup and Mustard so much. Ed Boon said before that he thought Cyber Ninja's where some of the coolest designs they created in his opinion. I agree.

I'm very excited to see Nightwolf, Shang Tsung, Terminator and Joker. But I also hope Smoke, Reptile, Ermac and other fan favs make it in.

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
There goes my theory

I guess anyone can be DLC.
Indeed. All bets are off now. The only lead we have is the subtitles which confirm the nine characters.

We also know that Sareena and Reiko were at least considered as DLC based on that old roster/DLC/story leak which we originally called fake, but ended up being true about A LOT of things (Reptile in the Krypt, Jax becoming Kronika's lackey, Kitana surviving the time Armageddon, Sonya killing both Kanos).

Indeed. All bets are off now. The only lead we have is the subtitles which confirm the nine characters.

We also know that Sareena and Reiko were at least considered as DLC based on that old roster/DLC/story leak which we originally called fake, but ended up being true about A LOT of things (Reptile in the Krypt, Jax becoming Kronika's lackey, Kitana surviving the time Armageddon, Sonya killing both Kanos).
If we go by that, Kai who was supposed to be DLC in MKX could be in.

I honestly wish for Kenshi, Havik and Hotaru to at the very least

I can't find the post right now but there was some mined text posted to the leaks subreddit regarding assists, there was a slot for Havik but instead of the descriptive text the rest had his just said "needs to be deleted"

If you want to go full sherlock, I've got a mostly crazy theory about Nightwolf.
Based on the multitude of dialogue snippets in the leak, I'm guessing we're getting an alternate (or premium) skin that is female. I've broken down several of the conversations with brief explanations as to why below. Individually they wouldn't mean a lot, but taken as a whole I think it points heavily towards my theory.

Now, I fully understand that I'm reaching a bit, but some of the dialog clearly hints at this. This would also give them room to give Nightwolf extra moves in his moveset that are by standard variations placed on the female character, but can be used by any Nightwolf build. Just to make her different.

moving relevant quotes from google docs sheet to this post:
Cassie Cage: "Man or woman, it doesn't matter?"
Nightwolf: "Any worthy Matoka can become Nightwolf."
Cassie Cage: "I like how your Great Spirit thinks."
Possibly implying Cassie is surprised by the fighter's gender

Jackie Briggs: "There have been other 'Nightwolves'?"
Nightwolf: "I am the latest in a long line."
Jackie Briggs: "Mind. Blown."
Jackie is possibly surpised by a different person as Nightwolf than what was expected

Jade: "What powers did your Great Spirit give you?"
Nightwolf: "Fight me and find out."
Jade: "Invitation accepted, Nightwolf."
Jade is unsure what this Nightwolf's abilities are. Implying they might be different

Kung Lao: "How long will you be Nightwolf?"
Nightwolf: "Until the Great Spirit chooses another."
Kung Lao: "Perhaps I will be next."
If this theory is true and this was Old Nightwolf, New Nightwolf would be next.
So this implies this is New Nightwolf

Nightwolf: "You also inherit a mantle."
Cassie Cage: "Being Cage 2.0 isnt as cool as being Nightwolf."
Nightwolf: "Don't sell your family short."
Convo about appreciating heritage. And what it means to inherit the mantle.

Nightwolf: "My ancestors speak harshly of you."
Shang Tsung: "I've put down Nightwolves before."
Nightwolf: "You'll find I'm a new breed."
Pretty straightforward

Sub Zero: "As Grey Cloud, you dishonored your tribe."
Nightwolf: "That's in my past, Sub Zero."
Sub Zero: "Keep it there."
This is not Grey Cloud, which Sub knows. But is still iffy since NW says "my past"
unless the Nightwolf 'spirit' or something is talking like a symbiote.

Geras: "You are not the first Nightwolf to face me."
Nightwolf: "I will be the last."
Geras: "So said all the others."
Pretty straightforward

Last edited:

stokedAF

casual kahnage
Sherlock homeboyardee. I just want Shang, I’m sooooooooo glad he’s first and I don’t have to wait 2 years.

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
John Vogel acknowledging that Havik would make the better choice as a DLC character back in MKX when compared to Reiko and Kai. This was back in 2016.

I guess this somewhat acknowledges that NRS is aware there is some demand.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, another random guy on deviantart claims:

"John Vogel (of NetherRealm Studios) did tell me on his Twitter account (I talk with him a lot) that he (Havik) does have a chance to return in Mortal Kombat 11. So there's hope after all. I mean, just imagine the possibilities for his variations, X-Ray move, and Fatalities."

This was written in 2017.

So Vogel knows that there are people who want Havik. That's something at least.

If you want to go full sherlock, I've got a mostly crazy theory about Nightwolf.
Based on the multitude of dialogue snippets in the leak, I'm guessing we're getting an alternate (or premium) skin that is female. I've broken down several of the conversations with brief explanations as to why in the link below. Individually they wouldn't mean a lot, but taken as a whole I think it points heavily towards my theory.

Now, I fully understand that I'm reaching a bit, but some of the dialog clearly hints at this. This would also give them room to give Nightwolf extra moves in his moveset that are by standard variations placed on the female character, but can be used by any Nightwolf build. Just to make her different.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rxsNMKH4JEuLjutCYxyUGgFtqo9N3CUhrVNQFVPYSD0/edit?usp=sharing
I've also broken out some of the dialogue that clearly denotes our normal male Nightwolf so that you can see the different tone & conversation.
I do not, however, have an explanation about how she exists along-side our current two-timeline Nightwolf characters.
Or maybe there is more lore in the comics/other lore I'm unaware of.
Holy shit you're right. That's actually kind of disappointing. The original Nightwolf is awesome. I would have thought they learnt their lesson with all the boring family members or descendants in MKX. That means 3 of the 5 actual MK chars are female.

Lokheit

Noob
Holy shit you're right. That's actually kind of disappointing. The original Nightwolf is awesome. I would have thought they learnt their lesson with all the boring family members or descendants in MKX. That means 3 of the 5 actual MK chars are female.
Nightwolf had dialogues aluding to his battle with Sindel. We're getting the classic one.