What's new

Godzilla (2014) Discussion Thread

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
I have been waiting on this movie ever since the announcement and went to an early showing at the theatre last night, and I have to say...as hype as I was for it...IT DID NOT DISAPPOINT! I've seen very mixed feelings about it everywhere, but I personally thought it was fucking fantastic. It stuck to what Godzilla is while still adding it's own brand of individuality. The acting was spotty at parts, but for the most part was solid. What did you guys think of the movie?! Discuss here!

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
First, TASM2. Now we have this. The movie was incredible lol. The ending was really unpredictable too and the CGI was probably the best I've seen.

Idk why people wanted it to be like Pacific Rim. Pacific Rim was good but Godzilla is its own movie. I liked how dark and gritty the tone of the movie was, something that the 1998 remake didnt have. The MUTO monsters was cool too.

Although Godzilla wasn't in the movie much (which kinda sucked), he made his presence known whenever he showed up, and he wrecked shit lol.

I'd recommend it to anyone, especially if you're a fan of the Big G.

PLEASE LET XMEN BE JUST AS GOOD AS THE LAST TWO MOVIES! (TASM2 and G)

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
It was alright. I wasn't completely sucked into the movie, like I was with most movies or Pacific Rim.

It felt as if there was lots of filler scenes and very little Godzilla and action.
I didn't really feel underwhelmed with the action at any point. It was pretty MUTO fucking shit up for like an hour, and I was cool with that. Godzilla was pretty much trying to play catch up, and when he caught up he BODIED them! I still have yet to see Pacific Rim, but I need to though lol.

NickDaGreek1983

Oh, my days !
( S P O I L E R S )

Liked: Bryan Cranston , Godzira's design & roar, the fact that the movie was monster vs monster and not a "let's figure out how to take down this croco-frog", the film's grittiness and filter,

Didn't like: Bryan Cranston playing approx. 30minutes, Aaron Taylor Johnson, 90's & 80's cliches (Darwin theory, family -please save my child- cliches, family "my wife is in there" cliches, memories/touching photographs/lost notes cliches), the Mutos' design and roars (are they crab? are they people? Maybe crab-people?), the fact that Godzira didn't give a %$#@ about humans after his victory (I guess he developed sympathy towards puny humans trying to take out Mama crab monster's eggs?), EXTREMELY LITTLE SCREEN time for the celebrity Godzira and finally: Male muto giving out radioactive gifts to female muto and then "nose kissing"?!??!??? Really ????

Final verdict: Trailers f@%k up movies. If your 2'37" trailer has about 01:30 of Bryan Cranston acting, talking or whatever, I can assume he is the protagonist. NO! He is 4th-5th in the credits and a bait to say "hey, maybe this 2014 Godzirrra will have more than Patatopoulos acting and silly lines". And it does! There IS acting for 25-30 minutes! Then it's all meh...

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Haven't seen it, but are any mechs hinted at/shown at all?
I don't really remember. They threw a lot of little easter eggs at you in the movie (I most clearly remember a Mothra reference), but as far as hinting at an actual appearance...no not really.

Reactions: gdf

Johnny San

Shazzy's Biggest Fan
So the verdict is that people think Godzilla has too little screentime.
If it's anywhere near the amount of screentime he had for '54 (which wasn't alot), I'll be satisfied.

What did you guys think about the soundtrack?

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
So the verdict is that people think Godzilla has too little screentime.
If it's anywhere near the amount of screentime he had for '54 (which wasn't alot), I'll be satisfied.

What did you guys think about the soundtrack?
This is how I felt. He never really had a LOT of screen time in most of his movies honestly. It was always just enough to keep you wanting more, but never to the point where you felt underwhelmed. I felt this one delivered enough. The soundtrack was pretty ok, wasn't anything fascinating but it was good.

First, TASM2. Now we have this. The movie was incredible lol. The ending was really unpredictable too and the CGI was probably the best I've seen.

Idk why people wanted it to be like Pacific Rim. Pacific Rim was good but Godzilla is its own movie. I liked how dark and gritty the tone of the movie was, something that the 1998 remake didnt have. The MUTO monsters was cool too.

Although Godzilla wasn't in the movie much (which kinda sucked), he made his presence known whenever he showed up, and he wrecked shit lol.

I'd recommend it to anyone, especially if you're a fan of the Big G.

PLEASE LET XMEN BE JUST AS GOOD AS THE LAST TWO MOVIES! (TASM2 and G)
I didn't necessarily want it to be Pacific Rim, but, I think Pacific Rim was more engaging with it's characters. I never really felt anything for the characters and it seemed way overexagerrated. Like, when Walt and his son cry, or when he called his wife in the hospital, or the kid, and than he just finds his parents out of no where. It seemed very underdeveloped.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
It was godlike, and I went in thinking it would suck.

Any monster movie is going to have filler, they wouldnt be able to show 2 whole hours of monsters fighting.

They had to rewind it at the theatre I went to cause some drunk dude started a fight in the upper rows. It was right at the end too, did get a free movie ticket though.