What's new

Godzilla (2014) Discussion Thread

LionHeart V1

You will feel deaths cold embrace
Biggest complaint was replacing Bryan Cranston with the Dull Aaron taylor Johnson. The movie was going great and then ATJ takes over and it loses steam. Its a head scratching decision on why they took that route, and I understand that they wanted you to get behind ford and what he was fighting for but his character was uninteresting.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Biggest complaint was replacing Bryan Cranston with the Dull Aaron taylor Johnson. The movie was going great and then ATJ takes over and it loses steam. Its a head scratching decision on why they took that route, and I understand that they wanted you to get behind ford and what he was fighting for but his character was uninteresting.
This was pretty much my only negative for it too.

Story. 2.5/10
Visuals. 8/10
Sound. 6.5/10

Didnt like the story, didnt like the fact that godzilla was a dragon? I didnt like the whole parasite thing. I didnt like how the father died. Ending was stupid. The fact that little asian boy found his parents was bull.

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
Saw it Saturday night. Went in with low expectations because of some friends but I really enjoyed it. I liked how it built up to the confrontations instead of just constant CGI Monster fights. Also...show of hands... How many people have even seen old school Godzilla movies here (and no the 1998 one with Ferris Bueller doesn't count)? Because I thought this reboot Godzilla looked incredible. There's several fan-service "pose" sequences that had the theatre I saw it in applauding.

didnt like the fact that godzilla was a dragon?
Dude's been breathing some sort of atomic blast / fire since the 1960's.

Johnny San

Shazzy's Biggest Fan
Also...show of hands... How many people have even seen old school Godzilla movies here (and no the 1998 one with Ferris Bueller doesn't count)?
Reporting. I've seen the essential films of the Showa Era.

Will be seeing this tomorrow. Cautiously optimistic.

didnt like the fact that godzilla was a dragon?

Complaining about Godzilla and co having powers is like complaining about Spider-Man and Shocker shooting webs and electricity.

Dude's been breathing some sort of atomic blast / fire since the 1960's.
More like plasma or ionized gas (think lightning, solar flares, the sun) but yeah fans just use "fire" as slang for thermonuclear death ray.

So...anyone else up for a fighting game?

Last edited:

ryublaze

Noob
Beginning was good, then movie started to drag out a bit. I liked the dark, gritty tone of the movie. Fight scenes and monsters were kewl. There was no reason to kill off Bryan Cranston. Rest of the characters were kinda dull. Humans didn't do anything. The muto nest plot was unnecessary. The ending was lame. Overall I give it a 6/10.

D7MHellcat

Frozen Earth
It was absolutely Godlike. As a long time Godzilla fan who has sat through too many Toho films to count, this was the Godzilla film that America needed. It was almost a combination of the Showa and Heisei years, just to give every fan something. A lot of folks complaining seem like they expected it to focus around Godzilla the entire time, which is never the case in these movies. There were so many great scenes throughout the movie, and it all lead up to that amazingly satisfying fight between big G and the two MUTOs. When his spikes started glowing I almost pissed myself with excitement, because I was very much sure that they wouldn't give him atomic breath seeing as how it might come off as cheesy. Boy was I wrong, they said screw and give the fans what they want. My entire theater got hype during so many moments in this movie.

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
It was absolutely Godlike. As a long time Godzilla fan who has sat through too many Toho films to count, this was the Godzilla film that America needed. It was almost a combination of the Showa and Heisei years, just to give every fan something. A lot of folks complaining seem like they expected it to focus around Godzilla the entire time, which is never the case in these movies. There were so many great scenes throughout the movie, and it all lead up to that amazingly satisfying fight between big G and the two MUTOs. When his spikes started glowing I almost pissed myself with excitement, because I was very much sure that they wouldn't give him atomic breath seeing as how it might come off as cheesy. Boy was I wrong, they said screw and give the fans what they want. My entire theater got hype during so many moments in this movie.
Exactly. I mean everyone has their opinions on movies but my theatre was extremely hype and outright applauded at several parts. Cranston getting killed was part of his son's character arc in accepting that his father had been right about the cover up for all of these years. People are complaining that "there's not enough Godzilla" but if there was like 30 more minutes of Godzilla CGI stomping around destroying shit people would complain about "Godzilla being overdone".

I mean look at the recent Superman. People thought the Zod vs Supes fight was boring after a while because there's only so much flying around and punching each other through buildings before it starts to lose it's sense of spectacle. When Godzilla hit the screen it was memorable and epic...damn near every time. It was the perfect balance of spectacle.

Rampage254

Ayy Lmao
I thought it was an ok movie. Not the best, but watchable. I didn't like that they would cut off to another scene when a fight scene started happening,. I also didn't like that Godzilla didn't get enough screen time.

I did have a big ass nerdgasm when he roared for the first time when he showed up, and then I had another nerdgasm when the spikes on his back started lighting up cause I knew what was coming next.

Overall I give it a 6/10

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
So the verdict is that people think Godzilla has too little screentime.
If it's anywhere near the amount of screentime he had for '54 (which wasn't alot), I'll be satisfied.

What did you guys think about the soundtrack?
I thought the music was incredible, it felt perfect for the tone set

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
the only problem I had was with the plot having to do with what the government was doing. I mean, I know they had to add in some such thing to make it seem like the humans aren't giving up without a fight but it was obvious from GO that they had nothing to offer. I could do without the whole "we'll try and nuke 'em!" business in exchange for a longer Godzilla/MUTO fucking shit up scene, for instance

Johnny San

Shazzy's Biggest Fan
I'll just post random thoughts in bullets:

- The film started too quickly. I guess they wanted to introduce the scenario as quickly as possible but it came at the cost of under-developing its characters. It was actually surprising to see how little development time these characters had.
- Godzilla's screentime wasn't adequately used. I'd be fine with the length of Godzilla scenes if he actually did something interesting besides roar.
- Why did this movie decide to follow Brody and the US military force rather than Dr. Serizawa? Notice that the first and last 45 minutes of the film were great because one focused on the scientists perspective while the other had fucking battles. The middle 45 minutes simply followed the military tracking down the MUTOs. I was legit bored during those 45 minutes. This leads to my next point.
- What was the purpose of this movie? That nature isn't in man's control? This theme wasn't really supported in any way aside from a few scenes. A little too underdeveloped for me.
- There wasn't enough backstory for Godzilla despite having the movie named after him. We get a lot more information on the MUTOs, which is fine, but an ancient dinosaur that recedes in deep sea radioactive pockets that awakens at the presence of big radioactivity doesn't cut it for me.
- I feel this movie would've been a lot better if it focused on the dangers of radioactive technology ala '54.

However, as a Godzilla movie, I'm satisfied. Despite their flaws, I thoroughly enjoyed the first and last 45 minutes of the film. 6/10.

EDIT: I'd like to add that people clapped when he killed the MUTO with his atomic breath and when the movie finished. Come on America.

Last edited:

Levaranoia

War God
I was super hyped for this movie since the first preview I saw for it. I really wanted to love it but a lot of it was so friggin bland. The only character that was worth a damn for human was Cranston's and he got killed off rather early for no apparent reason. I could of literally gave no f**ks if the rest of the people in the film were killed off. None of them were engaging or worth any damn in it. If the film is going to be mainly about humans shouldn't I care about them? That japanese guy also really bugged me when he said that they called it godzilla instead of gojira. It just didn't seem right to me. He could of said that it translated out to something like lizard god or something. It also bugged me that he just had so much blind faith in Godzilla wanting to kill those other kaiju's and that was a legit strat for them getting saved. He didn't know his real motives. That "let them fight" line was pretty cheesy as well, I didn't know they had a choice on whether or not the kaijus would fight each other.

I really wish that Godzilla had more screen time, I don't care that it matched up with the original godzilla and screen time he got in 1954. That was 60 years ago, I wish the director had taken this movie and made it his own. They could of worked in a bit more screen time for him whether there was a couple more fight scenes or him just destroying other things. If this is the prelude to a series of movies then I can understand him having a bit less screen time but I would hope that he would have a lot more screen time in follow up movies.

All in all the movie wasn't bad nor was it good. I'm completely neutral on it. In my opinion Pacific Rim is way better then this movie tho. Way better story, more engaging characters, more kaiju screen time and action. I'd have to give this movie like a 6/10.

I'm not gonna bore ya with a long review (that's what my youtube video is for).

It was okay, not bad, not good. Just okay. They didn't fuck up, they gave us Godzilla.

A 3 out of 5.

P.S. Nice bonus points for
stealing Reptile's Fatality

Here, have some hype.