What's new

God of Thunder patch

Warplay

Noob
Raiden is just terrible now. He's still my favorite character in MK, but I will no longer be using him in MK9. He wasn't my main before the patch, but now he has fallen out of my graces completely. Nerfing his teleport is the most ridiculous thing about this patch. Now Raiden is slow and at an even bigger disadvantage with the teleport nerf. His teleport was what made up for his lack of speed, in my opinion. I had no problems beating high level Raidens; I feel bad for people who main him.

McNasty

Moist.
pshh now just use meter for your teleports and cancel it. LOL at a thread complaining about a character nerf who is still in the top 5...

Raiden is just terrible now. He's still my favorite character in MK, but I will no longer be using him in MK9. He wasn't my main before the patch, but now he has fallen out of my graces completely. Nerfing his teleport is the most ridiculous thing about this patch. Now Raiden is slow and at an even bigger disadvantage with the teleport nerf. His teleport was what made up for his lack of speed, in my opinion. I had no problems beating high level Raidens; I feel bad for people who main him.
Just curious: what are your experiences that lead you to such negativity? The patch hasn't been out long, and to my knowledge there haven't been any serious tournaments since it was released, so it seems a bit early to be hollering "doom!" Also, I'm no expert, but in my limited experience thus far, Raiden fared pretty well in this patch in spite of the nerfs.

lazybird123

Purple Belt in BJJ, White Belt in MK
I've honestly stopped relying on the teleport so much and the Vicinity Blast trap is overrated.

Raiden is a great character and his corner tactics are hard to get out of. I'm only concerned about one of my main BnBs being more difficult (although some have said its not really) because of the Teleport nerf, but all in all its not a big deal.

Raiman

Noob
I've honestly stopped relying on the teleport so much and the Vicinity Blast trap is overrated.

Raiden is a great character and his corner tactics are hard to get out of. I'm only concerned about one of my main BnBs being more difficult (although some have said its not really) because of the Teleport nerf, but all in all its not a big deal.
the vicinity blast trap was overated because it was very good. it was like cages ex projectile, now its gone and raiden lost a vary good tool not to mention his teleport mix up is hurt worse too. its not that big a deal because its 2 frames, i guess we'll just have to wait and see it the teleport and vb nerf is going to hurt him or if the ex teleport buff wil make up for his losses. so far a havent really even tested out the new ex teleport

Warplay

Noob
Just curious: what are your experiences that lead you to such negativity? The patch hasn't been out long, and to my knowledge there haven't been any serious tournaments since it was released, so it seems a bit early to be hollering "doom!" Also, I'm no expert, but in my limited experience thus far, Raiden fared pretty well in this patch in spite of the nerfs.
A lot of Raidens combo's use the teleport, and the decreased recovery makes combos that were already very difficult even more so. Raiden was already at a disadvantage on teleport, why make it worse? As I said, it's annoying because of how slow Raiden is. I have no use for him now, though I'm sure many will still be amazing with him. I can usually adapt to changes in games, it's just that he doesn't feel right to me after the patch.

That's why I'm negative about it. And I couldn't care less about Tournaments.

A lot of Raidens combo's use the teleport, and the decreased recovery makes combos that were already very difficult even more so. Raiden was already at a disadvantage on teleport, why make it worse? As I said, it's annoying because of how slow Raiden is. I have no use for him now, though I'm sure many will still be amazing with him. I can usually adapt to changes in games, it's just that he doesn't feel right to me after the patch.

That's why I'm negative about it. And I couldn't care less about Tournaments.
Not criticizing, but it sounds like you haven't actually done any playing that would back up the negativity, but are rather just upset about him being nerfed at all. I can't argue with "doesn't feel right," though. That's your opinion, and you're entitled to it.

As for Raiden's combos, only one of them really uses teleport, and it's not even his best combo, AND it's still not that hard (as I discussed at length in another topic). And his combos in general just aren't that tough. If there's a hard part to his combos, I'd say it's getting the right link after a shocker, which isn't at all affected by changes to teleport. But as someone else said, combos in general in this game aren't that tough (except when crappy components of the game engine make them harder *coughnegativeedgecough*).

Raiman

Noob
>_>

Play Reptile before you call Raiden slow lol.
when raiden has a 5 frame move that doesnt leave him spinning in the air for 60 frames and can be used for movement because it has no recovery on wiff, they can take out teleport all together for all i care.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
No, it's possible, but shoshinsha is being insane here.

I'd say you have about... maybe two or three frames to link the f2 after 3 3 4~teleport. You need to cancel the teleport in the 3 3 4 string as early as possible, then link f2 after the teleport as fast as you can. I land this shit in matches all the time but the timing is quite different than it used to be. After the teleport, you used to be able to hit confirm into f2, but now you have to blow through the combo as fast as you can; if you're off by one or two frames, you're not getting the combo.
Yeah, I tried like 50 times last night....I landed it ONCE.

Gonna have to drop that combo... which sucks cause it was my favorite and looked really flashy.

What's Raiden's best combo?

Yeah, I tried like 50 times last night....I landed it ONCE.

Gonna have to drop that combo... which sucks cause it was my favorite and looked really flashy.

What's Raiden's best combo?
I don't mean this as an insult, but if you tried (334~teleport -> f2~shocker) 50 times and landed it once, then you're doing something wrong. That's not a criticism of your ability. You are literally doing something incorrectly. It's NOT that hard at all, and if you figure out what you're doing wrong, I think you'll find you agree.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
I don't mean this as an insult, but if you tried (334~teleport -> f2~shocker) 50 times and landed it once, then you're doing something wrong. That's not a criticism of your ability. You are literally doing something incorrectly. It's NOT that hard at all, and if you figure out what you're doing wrong, I think you'll find you agree.
I had better success with 334, teleport, 1, shocker.... but I still only landed that a handful of times. Most of the time he just does nothing on the forward 2 input and then uppercuts on the shocker input.

B W1zZ

Noob
Some of you guys are making Raiden's teleport nerf out to be like it's game breaking for him, and it's not. A lot of characters were able to punish the teleport before the patch so it's not really that much different than it was before. Raiden is still top tier.

As far as doing his combos with tele I always have and always will use 1 shocker. The window to land the 1 is a bit smaller now but it's not really that difficult. 334 tele 1 shocker 334 superman does 41% with a jip. I don't find it difficult at all to follow up with anything after a shocker, it just takes practice.

His vicinity blast doesn't give him major advantage like it used to on block, but it's still about +1 advantage on block and shouldn't be relied heavily upon anyways. Before it was possible to 33 VB, then on block you could dash in and follow up with another 33 most of the time, so the best option after a blocked vicinity blast now is probably D3 into F24, or even 121 or teleport if you anticipate they will try to stuff one of your combos...I would generally avoid using 334 or b312 immediately after a blocked vicinity blast since the startup on those combos isn't that fast.

His new enhanced teleport is also an option now but it should only be used sparingly when you know you'll be able to land a combo off of it..you don't want to burn all of your meter on en tele's.

B W1zZ

Noob
For those having problems trying to do combos after 334 teleport go with D3 shocker.
This right here is fantastic! It does less damage but it guarantees consistency for anyone having trouble landing a 1 or F2 shocker after 334 tele. I would also imagine this might be the best option if you are playing online.

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
This right here is fantastic! It does less damage but it guarantees consistency for anyone having trouble landing a 1 or F2 shocker after 334 tele. I would also imagine this might be the best option if you are playing online.
Haven't played the patched version yet (come on, SONY!), but I always found 3~Shocker more consistent than anything else, though I haven't tried d3~Schoker.
For me, f2~ Shocker and 1~Shocker just never work. I had some success with d1~Shocker, but really 3~Shocker is the most consistent.

B W1zZ

Noob
Haven't played the patched version yet (come on, SONY!), but I always found 3~Shocker more consistent than anything else, though I haven't tried d3~Schoker.
For me, f2~ Shocker and 1~Shocker just never work. I had some success with d1~Shocker, but really 3~Shocker is the most consistent.
Standing 3 shocker? I don't think anyone should attempt 3 after a 334 tele, and I think that's impossible now with the patch...but still pre patch there was less of a window to land a standing 3 than there was a 1 or F2. Not something I've ever used.

Every Raiden player should be using either 1 or F2 shocker after 334 tele for maximum damage, or at least D3 for consistency if you can't seem to time it right. 1 is overall the best option for damage output, F2 causes some combos to do 1% less.

D3 shocker seems to be the best option in online lag since the window is so small for 1 or F2, but you do 3% or so less damage.

Hell yeah dude very consistent and it feels like a first grader combo. Also guys I know you feel raiden is tone down, but he is alot better than you think. I completely agree with the teleport not being that big of deal. Before the patch good sub zero players can punish the teleport with 22, with the patch is the same. If you are trying to push him higher the ex teleport buff is really neat to use.

Hey be happy that now when people cry about him, you can say he got nerfed and your still kicking ass.

Also for those interested back 3,1 also works after the 334 teleport string, this requires good timing.

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
Standing 3 shocker? I don't think anyone should attempt 3 after a 334 tele, and I think that's impossible now with the patch...but still pre patch there was less of a window to land a standing 3 than there was a 1 or F2. Not something I've ever used.

Every Raiden player should be using either 1 or F2 shocker after 334 tele for maximum damage, or at least D3 for consistency if you can't seem to time it right. 1 is overall the best option for damage output, F2 causes some combos to do 1% less.

D3 shocker seems to be the best option in online lag since the window is so small for 1 or F2, but you do 3% or so less damage.
I would gladly sacrifice 3% damage for consistency lol. Besides, if the combo fails you lose a lot more than 3%.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
I had better success with 334, teleport, 1, shocker.... but I still only landed that a handful of times. Most of the time he just does nothing on the forward 2 input and then uppercuts on the shocker input.
You get the "do nothing on :r:bp input" thing because you're not inputting the teleport early enough in the :fk:fk:bk string. Dial out the string and input the :d:u in between the second and third hits. You'll teleport almost simultaneously when the last hit of the string launches, then do :r:bp~shocker.

Getting the uppercut when you do the shocker is also a sign that you need to tighten up your execution.

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
I have a question for those of you that have played post-patch Raiden. Before the patch, if the opponent was blocking when you teleported they didn't have enough time to let go off block, turn around, and punish. In other words, the only way to punish teleport was to NOT be blocking when Raiden teleported. Is that still true post-patch?

CJKRattlehead

Two men enter, one man leaves!
@Raidenwins

i could unblock on reaction pre and post patch so not sure what your referring to. Although i could rarely get a full combo punish instead i use NW's uppercut on reaction.

I have a question for those of you that have played post-patch Raiden. Before the patch, if the opponent was blocking when you teleported they didn't have enough time to let go off block, turn around, and punish. In other words, the only way to punish teleport was to NOT be blocking when Raiden teleported. Is that still true post-patch?
It seems like it might be POSSIBLE to unblock on reaction and punish, but if it is, it's still damn hard. I'd guess it might only be possible for like 6 or 7 frame moves, and even then I think you've gotta be partly expecting it. This is just my early impression, though.

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
So the patch finally hit PSN yesterday. Here are my first impression after playing for about 6 hours or so:

--at this point I can't tell if there is a noticeable difference in the recovery time of the teleport. First opponent I met after I downloaded the patch was some button mashing n00b. There literally was no time during a match that this scrub was not mashing on a button, and he in addition was apparently unfamiliar with the block button. Every time I teleported I got punished by a 1, 1 or 2, 2 but I am not sure if that was because of his button mashing or the 2 additional frames of recovery.

--the next several opponents I faced sometimes it seemed I had to wait just a little bit longer after a teleport before I could do anything, other times i was able to do anything I did before the patch with no noticeable difference.

-- what makes it even harder to assess if there is a noticeable difference was the fact that yesterday and today there was a terrible lag on PSN. I wasn't able to hit combos as simple as 3, 3, 4.

--Vicinity Blast still seems to be at advantage on block, which is great. Several times I was able to pull off a throw after the opponent blocked it.

--I didn't try Ex-Teleport a single time. In my opinion this will only be useful against high level players or ones that are overly defensive, i.e. opponents who are more likely to block and/or attempt to bait a teleport in order to punish it. Against semi-aggresive to aggresive players it'll most likely backfire because, just like others here have already pointed out, it happens so quickly that if the opponent is performing any attack you are virtually guaranteed to walk right into it. This is just theory though. I am going to have to try it in real match situations before I can give any useful feedback.

--3, 3, 4 ~Teleport~d3, Shocker, 3, 3, 4, Electric Fly works, although f2 after the Teleport just doesn't work for me, but it didn't pre-patch either so this is not patch related. It just feels like an awkward input for me. It doesn't look you can connect a 3 after a Teleport. I am pretty sure d1~Shocker works also but the timing is more strict than d3.

So, final verdict: it seems there is some noticeable difference (in recovery time of Teleport) from before although I am not sure if that was due to me knowing of the 2 additional frames and therefore "seeing" it.

How does it feel for the rest of you guys? Do you get punished more? Do you have to adjust your gameplay because of it?