What's new

God of Thunder patch

Z-911-Z

Bone and Metal
Raiden
- teleport (d,u) has one or two added frames of recovery
- vicinity blast (d,b+2) gives less advantage on block
- the "second" teleport of the EX teleport can be canceled into any attack or movement of your choice

Was there anything else of note? I haven't played yet, but it kinda sucks they nerfed the teleport. I know it'll still be god tier online, but offline it's going to probably be read and attacked more often. The nerf on vicinity blast doesn't really bother me too much, I didn't use it much. The last one intrigues me though, it could offer much more opportunities for mind games despite spending meter on it. What's everyone else's thoughts?

I'm still kinda wondering why they would nerf the teleport, but not the overall damage on his combos.

REYTHEGREAT

The teleport was already punisable, so now they made it even more punishable? I used VB in my game a lot, but now it seems like I will need to tone it down. Like you said, the last one is interesting. It can lead to mind game, mix ups, ect. But it does required meter. I will wait till it come out for ps3 to test some stuff out.

lazybird123

Purple Belt in BJJ, White Belt in MK
His damage wasn't great that doesn't need nerfing.

My concern is how is this added frame or two on the teleport going to affect his combos? Has anyone tried? His 3,3,4 teleport shocker is already hard enough to do

B W1zZ

Noob
When they said added a few frames of recovery to teleport I don't really think they nerfed it or if they did it doesn't really seem to make any difference..his recovery after a teleport is about the same if not a little faster imo.

Raiden is essentially still the same with a few changes:

Landing shocker after 334 tele seems more consistent now

Vicinity blast block stun is gone now for the most part, making it unsafe to attempt another 33

He can react instantly after an en tele now (the flash animation will complete in the air if you jump or during your combo/move)

They reduced the startup time on B2, making his B2, F1, 1+2 string a little more useful.

lazybird123

Purple Belt in BJJ, White Belt in MK
When they said added a few frames of recovery to teleport I don't really think they nerfed it or if they did it doesn't really seem to make any difference..his recovery after a teleport is about the same if not a little faster imo.

Raiden is essentially still the same with a few changes:

Landing shocker after 334 tele seems more consistent now

Vicinity blast block stun is gone now for the most part, making it unsafe to attempt another 33

He can react instantly after an en tele now (the flash animation will complete in the air if you jump or during your combo/move)

They reduced the startup time on B2, making his B2, F1, 1+2 string a little more useful.
This is honestly great news.

I'll be honest with you on the Vicinity Blast, I know I'm not a good player, but I play with excellent players on a weekly basis and the Vicinity Blast frame trap never works on them. I found it to be useful after a blocked JIP 3,3,4 because it gives me time to maybe go for another JIP, D+1 or 3, or a throw. It is still a frame advantage right?

Speaking only from INITIAL reactions, I'm pretty happy with how Raiden came through this patch.

The loss of most of VB's advantage kinda sucks, but it's not game-changing. Plus it's still a safe way to end block strings and/or set up his teleport mixups.

I was frightened that they were really going to kill his regular teleport, but it doesn't seem like it's going to be a huge deal. If you abuse it, you'll get torn up by good players like you always would. But if you already know how to keep it mostly safe, then I don't think you'll notice a lot of difference. His combos also seem to be unaffected.

And his :en teleport went from being a mostly useless novelty to possibly being one of his best tools and adding a whole new dimension to his mind games. I'm going to have a lot of fun just exploring possibilities with this move, alone.

I haven't even tried his b2 string. Going to have to play with that and see if it will prove significant.

Overall, Raiden had some of his scrubbiness removed and replaced by more character depth, and all without (in my estimation) much alteration in his tier placement. Sounds like a win, to me.

B W1zZ

Noob
I stand corrected....i wasn't playing on the fully patched version:

Teleport recovery IS noticeably slower now and this DOES effect some of his combos. It's now impossible to land a shocker after 334 tele....it has to be linked into from a 1 or F2 and the window to do so is noticeably smaller.

The only improvement to raiden is his en tele, which makes up for his nerfs.

Raiden
• Raiden can no longer unavoidably frame trap someone with his Vicinity Blast.
• Raiden has 2 additional recovery frames on his normal Teleport.
• Raiden can’t be hit during his Enhanced Teleport (Sparkport).

Teleport recovery IS noticeably slower now and this DOES effect some of his combos. It's now impossible to land a shocker after 334 tele....it has to be linked into from a 1 or F2 and the window to do so is noticeably smaller.

Raiden
I've never understood why anyone did the 334~teleport -> shocker combo without a f2 for the link. It's so much easier, does the same damage, and doesn't noticeably increase gravity scaling on the rest of the combo. What's more, it's no harder to hit now than it was before the patch.

I have to disagree with this 100%.
Are we talking about the same combo? 334~teleport, f2~shocker...[etc.]? Because I logged on after getting the patch and hotfix update and drilled the combo probably two-dozen times and dropped it no more than maybe once, which is about my usual accuracy rate.

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner

Raiden
Well that sucks. I am on PS3 so I haven't played the patched version of the game yet, but I have very mixed feelings about the Raiden changes. First off, I said it before and I'll say it again, nerfing his teleport was unnecessary. The only question now is how much it'll hurt his game. The good thing is that they added the two additional frames on recovery and not start-up, meaning you can still escape pressure like before, only now it'll be easier for the opponent to punish you. This could, however, be used to Raiden's advantage because we can use the opponent's confidence they can punish us to our advantage by doing Teleport+Block and then punish.

I'll reserve judgement about the VB on block nerf until we know how many frames it is on block now. If it's still positive on block I'll be happy because it'd still be a viable tool in Raiden's arsenal.

I am happy about the EX Teleport buff. At least they had the decency to give us something in exchange for nerfing his regular teleport. I am curious how this'll affect his gameplay. I can already see all the new possibilities...Yea, I think Raiden's mind-games potential just got quite a bit better.

As for his 3, 3, 4 ~ Teleport combos, I never did a naked Shocker right out of teleport anyway. I always do either d1~Shocker or 3~Shocker (f2 never worked for me for some reason). So that won't be a problem for my Raiden game.

It's unfortunate that NRS yielded to the whiners and nerfed his teleport, but in doing so they may have actually made him a stronger character and thus all the whining may actually backfire on the ones doing it. I'll say this to all the Raiden haters out there: Beware the Teleport!

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
The only question now is how much it'll hurt his game. The good thing is that they added the two additional frames on recovery and not start-up, meaning you can still escape pressure like before, only now it'll be easier for the opponent to punish you. This could, however, be used to Raiden's advantage because we can use the opponent's confidence they can punish us to our advantage by doing Teleport+Block and then punish.
Using block after a teleport is a novel idea.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
... you can still escape pressure like before, only now it'll be easier for the opponent to punish you. This could, however, be used to Raiden's advantage because we can use the opponent's confidence they can punish us to our advantage by doing Teleport+Block and then punish. ...
Uhh...

Merriam-Webster said:
Punish, transitive verb:

to impose a penalty on for a fault, offense, or violation
So, if you block an attack after you teleport, you weren't punished for it... And two frames added to the recovery of the teleport is most certainly not to Raiden's advantage in any way.

:en teleport buff is definitely sick though, so it's worth it. I just dislike that the teleport nerf effects the timing for connecting an attack after 3 3 4~teleport. That's a bit of a bummer.

Uhh...

So, if you block an attack after you teleport, you weren't punished for it... And two frames added to the recovery of the teleport is most certainly not to Raiden's advantage in any way.

:en teleport buff is definitely sick though, so it's worth it. I just dislike that the teleport nerf effects the timing for connecting an attack after 3 3 4~teleport. That's a bit of a bummer.
Still not sure what you mean about the 334~tp combos being difficult. After a whole evening of play, I'm not finding that I drop that combo any more than I ever did. Just stick a f2 between the 'port and the shocker.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Still not sure what you mean about the 334~tp combos being difficult. After a whole evening of play, I'm not finding that I drop that combo any more than I ever did. Just stick a f2 between the 'port and the shocker.
When exactly do you input the F2? I've tried about a million times and I haven't gotten it to land once. Whereas, before the patch, I could go straight into shocker almost every time! Now when I do it, Raiden just stands there like a dumbass doing nothing.

Stupid teleport nerf!

When exactly do you input the F2? I've tried about a million times and I haven't gotten it to land once. Whereas, before the patch, I could go straight into shocker almost every time! Now when I do it, Raiden just stands there like a dumbass doing nothing.

Stupid teleport nerf!
For the f2~shocker version, you've got to chill out and calm down. You literally have to pause slightly after the teleport and before the f2, so just take a breath and relax. It's actually REALLY easy when you get the timing because f2 is so fast. I'd say it's probably one of the combos I drop least in the whole game. Just practice doing it slower and slower until it hits. If they hit the ground before you do it, you're going TOO slow. :D

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
No, it's possible, but shoshinsha is being insane here.

I'd say you have about... maybe two or three frames to link the f2 after 3 3 4~teleport. You need to cancel the teleport in the 3 3 4 string as early as possible, then link f2 after the teleport as fast as you can. I land this shit in matches all the time but the timing is quite different than it used to be. After the teleport, you used to be able to hit confirm into f2, but now you have to blow through the combo as fast as you can; if you're off by one or two frames, you're not getting the combo.

No, it's possible, but shoshinsha is being insane here.

I'd say you have about... maybe two or three frames to link the f2 after 3 3 4~teleport. You need to cancel the teleport in the 3 3 4 string as early as possible, then link f2 after the teleport as fast as you can. I land this shit in matches all the time but the timing is quite different than it used to be. After the teleport, you used to be able to hit confirm into f2, but now you have to blow through the combo as fast as you can; if you're off by one or two frames, you're not getting the combo.
How am I "being insane" here? I'm not theory crafting. I'm not new to Raiden. I've been maining him since launch, and I've been playing the game daily since the patch. I can hit it consistently--every bit as much as before. And I'm no god of execution, either. What's insane about saying, "hey guys, this is totally do-able and consistent, and my evidence is that I'm doing it consistently"?

Earlier you sounded like you were saying the combo is no different.
What I've been trying to communicate this whole time is that (334~teleport, f2~shocker...) is still relatively easy and quite consistent after the latest patch, and that is (in my experience) the case. I'm not saying it to start arguments. I'm saying it to try and explain to people who are struggling what combo they CAN still use after the changes.