What's new

Geras General Discussion

Bixlow

Scrubiness Embodied
I'm having a hard time timing Motaro Centaurian Warp with Time Stop. Everytime I do it Motaro ends up not grabbing him. Any suggestions? Do I just need to do it quicker/slower?

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
I'm having a hard time timing Motaro Centaurian Warp with Time Stop. Everytime I do it Motaro ends up not grabbing him. Any suggestions? Do I just need to do it quicker/slower?
You'll get used to the timing. If Motaro grabs Geras before he freezes them, you called Motaro too early. If Motaro misses and Geras does the elbow drop you called Motaro too late.

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
I saw this in the patch notes and nearly shit myself
  • AI will now execute Time Klone attacks while Double Time is active
I thought they nerfed him by making the clone do random AI moves during his double time

Apock

Noob
Guys,

Just to drop a note here - you can combo from command grab with tremor for 40% in the corner. You can also combo from 12,1+2 for 55+%, also in the corner.

Enjoy the lab time - there is plenty to unpack over here.

Shawi

Noob
Guys,

Just to drop a note here - you can combo from command grab with tremor for 40% in the corner. You can also combo from 12,1+2 for 55+%, also in the corner.

Enjoy the lab time - there is plenty to unpack over here.
I think they’re just giving the dlc characters stupid s#%t on purpose now just to get more sales……hopefully now Lao won’t get nerfed as tremor is taking all the heat!

freerf245

11 11 11 11
Any Idea how this guys Mb Db3 works? I know it can be used to break out of combos but I cannot figure out what causes the freeze reaction. I think its if you time it while the opponent is in startup/recovery frames of a move?

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
Any Idea how this guys Mb Db3 works? I know it can be used to break out of combos but I cannot figure out what causes the freeze reaction. I think its if you time it while the opponent is in startup/recovery frames of a move?
Its just like any other move. It has a range, a startup and a recovery. You gotta hit them with it before they hit you. Every character has guaranteed gaps that can be broken. I made a guide a while back. It doesn't Have Omni Man or Quan, but it can give you an idea of what to look for in a break situation

freerf245

11 11 11 11
Its just like any other move. It has a range, a startup and a recovery. You gotta hit them with it before they hit you. Every character has guaranteed gaps that can be broken. I made a guide a while back. It doesn't Have Omni Man or Quan, but it can give you an idea of what to look for in a break situation

This is amazing thank you

wsj515

This is my billionth life cycle.
Does Geras have any clear difficult MUs? I main Kenshi, want to pick Geras up and ideally their bad MUs don't completely overlap, though it matters less considering character lock KL / I'm not planning on playing tournaments.

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
Does Geras have any clear difficult MUs? I main Kenshi, want to pick Geras up and ideally their bad MUs don't completely overlap, though it matters less considering character lock KL / I'm not planning on playing tournaments.
I dont play Geras, but from what I understand, his only weak matchups should be against good zoners and characters with fast mobility. I play Mileena and would say it is a 5.5-4.5 in her favor (if she is using lao) because she can teleport and avoid your low hats (assuming you pair him with lao also) while also tossing her OWN hats and sais. Kitana seems like a bad matchup, as she has many zoning tools, some that lead to combos, and good stagger/damage. Sindel/lao and Liu Kang also come to mind. Maybe Havik as well.

Shawi

Noob
So my view is that Geras lives and dies by the hourglass. It is his win condition as he can rewind time, and makes the opponent think twice before using a projectile (threat of snap). Based on this here is my view on 3 matchups I find difficult (Johnny cage excluded as he is brokenly oppressive):

1. Mileena (6-4) - she can punish Geras for EVERYTHING. She can punish f3 with ball roll, she can punish an hourglass charge anywhere on screen. This means you can only charge hourglasses mid-combo, sacrificing damage. It is also hard to time the rewind correctly with her combos to not be hit out of it. She has specials that are very unsafe and if it wasn't for that combined with Geras' ability to punish HARD, then I'd have made this worse for Geras.
  2. Quan (6-4) - can full combo punish any hourglass used in neutral on reaction with stand 4, which will combo with skydrop, or if he is using Sareena, 4xxblades, into 4xxblades which even at full screen brings Geras right up to Quan. He can also use this to punish f3 even at max range. His zoning is possibly the strongest in the game too which makes it worse.
  3. Tanya (6-4) - can full combo punish any hourglass in neutral on reaction with her drill giving a full combo. Her combos are also difficult to get the rewind time right with to cause her to freeze or not be hit out of it. She can also armor through f121+3 and get a full combo with Goro.
One thing to note, ANY character that uses Sub kameo is a HARD counter to Geras. If Sub kameo is used right, it renders his rewind time (his win condition) useless. If the opponent has sub armor on, rewind doesnt freeze them in place, therefore giving a full combo punish if Geras uses it. If I was playing against Geras and used Sub kameo, Id use the Sub Kameo immediately on landing a hit - then Geras cant rewind. I think using sub kameo really swings things and take a game off Geras e.g. Havik + Sub Kameo is probably a 6-4 too.

wsj515

So my view is that Geras lives and dies by the hourglass. It is his win condition as he can rewind time, and makes the opponent think twice before using a projectile (threat of snap). Based on this here is my view on 3 matchups I find difficult (Johnny cage excluded as he is brokenly oppressive):

1. Mileena (6-4) - she can punish Geras for EVERYTHING. She can punish f3 with ball roll, she can punish an hourglass charge anywhere on screen. This means you can only charge hourglasses mid-combo, sacrificing damage. It is also hard to time the rewind correctly with her combos to not be hit out of it. She has specials that are very unsafe and if it wasn't for that combined with Geras' ability to punish HARD, then I'd have made this worse for Geras.
  2. Quan (6-4) - can full combo punish any hourglass used in neutral on reaction with stand 4, which will combo with skydrop, or if he is using Sareena, 4xxblades, into 4xxblades which even at full screen brings Geras right up to Quan. He can also use this to punish f3 even at max range. His zoning is possibly the strongest in the game too which makes it worse.
  3. Tanya (6-4) - can full combo punish any hourglass in neutral on reaction with her drill giving a full combo. Her combos are also difficult to get the rewind time right with to cause her to freeze or not be hit out of it. She can also armor through f121+3 and get a full combo with Goro.
One thing to note, ANY character that uses Sub kameo is a HARD counter to Geras. If Sub kameo is used right, it renders his rewind time (his win condition) useless. If the opponent has sub armor on, rewind doesnt freeze them in place, therefore giving a full combo punish if Geras uses it. If I was playing against Geras and used Sub kameo, Id use the Sub Kameo immediately on landing a hit - then Geras cant rewind. I think using sub kameo really swings things and take a game off Geras e.g. Havik + Sub Kameo is probably a 6-4 too.
I would think the Motaro buffs would help these matchups quite a bit - can't you punish a hourglass punish attempt with Motaro tp? Also, isn't the ability to punish f3 kind of moot? I would think most if not all characters can punish f3.

wsj515

Have people pretty much completely migrated over to motaro post lao nerf?

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
Have people pretty much completely migrated over to motaro post lao nerf?
I used Motaro since day 1 because I like how he gives Geras a free clone setup. I think Tremor is actually even better for setups, but I never put time into Tremor outside of setplay.

I'm super curious about Janet. Geras normally can't call Kameos when his clone is out, but I do know that if you call Motaro Turret and then bring out the clone they'll both stay on screen and attack. So I'm def interested in seeing what that means for Janet. Will she be fully controllable with clone out? Will she just finish her current attack animation and then disappear? This could be massive for Geras. Especially with his OTG tech. Nut punch for sure will work with his OTG, the only question is will you be able to work a restand with it. If you can then Janet will be even better for setplay than Tremor

Ardet

Noob
I used Motaro since day 1 because I like how he gives Geras a free clone setup. I think Tremor is actually even better for setups, but I never put time into Tremor outside of setplay.

I'm super curious about Janet. Geras normally can't call Kameos when his clone is out, but I do know that if you call Motaro Turret and then bring out the clone they'll both stay on screen and attack. So I'm def interested in seeing what that means for Janet. Will she be fully controllable with clone out? Will she just finish her current attack animation and then disappear? This could be massive for Geras. Especially with his OTG tech. Nut punch for sure will work with his OTG, the only question is will you be able to work a restand with it. If you can then Janet will be even better for setplay than Tremor
Can you explain how can Motaro give Geras free clone? And Tremor setups, can you showcase them? I really like Tremor kameo, has nice setups with other chars, but never saw his synergie with Geras.

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
Can you explain how can Motaro give Geras free clone? And Tremor setups, can you showcase them? I really like Tremor kameo, has nice setups with other chars, but never saw his synergie with Geras.
Using the plusframes after cancelling a f3 with teleport he can setup a clone unchallenged

And for Tremor, using his OTG off of 122 he gets an even better setup because this picks them up off the floor which negates their wakeup options

wsj515

Using the plusframes after cancelling a f3 with teleport he can setup a clone unchallenged

And for Tremor, using his OTG off of 122 he gets an even better setup because this picks them up off the floor which negates their wakeup options

Do you have a blocked serena knives punish for Geras?

wsj515

I did make one but its not optimal. I haven't messed with it since the game came out

I knew you could dash s1 time stop, but b1 seems much better. I was hoping there was something I couldn't find using b12 to low profile the projectiles, but this is still solid.

wsj515

Has anyone messed around with Motaro turret tick throw setups? Seems like there's a lot of unexplored potential. I know you can launch with a command grab in the corner using something like d+kameo, f24 tick throw df2