What's new

Guide General Zod Community Combo Guide

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Max damage without trait, meter or interactables?

(corner) Full charge Ground Blast, J2 xx Air Zodball, J2 xx Slow Air Zodball, J2 xx Fast Air Zodball, F3, 123 xx Zod Charge = 49%

In the corner, ending a combo into 123 xx Laser full charge/charge dash to reverse their wake up is doing pretty fun things for me. Really fun seeing a GL Lift the wrong way.
How in the world could u get a full laser charge combo off point blank in the corner?

No one would allow that

Disaster FX

Boom Bap Dragon
How in the world could u get a full laser charge combo off point blank in the corner?

No one would allow that
End a combo with 123 xx close laser, fully charge it. Beats Hawkgirl clean if she does a wake up Mace Charge, about to test who else it works on.

EDIT: Also have more corner tech I'm working on, will post when I have guaranteed numbers.

Disaster FX

Boom Bap Dragon
So it turns out that thing I found is more of a match up specific advantage against Hawkgirl and possibly other delayed wake ups like Mace Charge, it doesn't seem to be as useful against everybody else. But if we get a 123 on her in the corner, there's a whole mess of stuff we can do:

Here's what beats wake up Mace Charge CLEAN in the corner:
123 xx Full Laser Charge, J2 xx Air Zodball, J2 xx Slow Air Zodball, J2 xx Fast Air Zodball, F3, 123: 46% (50% with MB Phantom Strike, 49% with Zod Charge if you want a corner MB interactable reset)
123, air to air neutral J3, J2 xx Air Zodball, J2 xx Slow Air Zodball, J2 xx Fast Air Zodball, F3, 123: 49% (after 123 at the start, hold up to J3, and hit J3 at the apex of your jump. If they block on wake up you get a deep J3 to launch offense)
123, B3 (the B3 lowers Zod's hurtbox and he passes through the Mace Charge and beats it clean. If blocked, you're at +5. If it hits, free transition or full combo)

Oh, and 123 xx full charge will also beat Mace Charge mid screen. No distance input required, and you can connect a B3 after it hits.

The Farmer

Gunslinger since pre ptch -Shout out 2 Youphs 2015
I checked out the combo Thead posted the other day, and I find this to be consistent enough to practice:
I was fumbling with this yesterday. Its pretty good. Hard to get it consistent online, but for offline/tourney players its probably something you want in the repertoire.

InFlames

dead
213, b23, j1 xx Zodball, j2 xx slow Zodball, j2 xx fast Zodball, f3, 123, charge/phantom strike

Does like 45% without a jump in. With a jump in it does around 47%.

Zatanna

Meterburned Interactable Master
This may have been explored before too, and it's pretty simple, but I think this is the highest unclashable damage off of a trait grab:

It can do up to 29% or possibly 30% based on how long you let the grab damage them and many hits of the MB Laser you can hit them with.

Not too flashy, but practical and good to know.

AK Pig Of The Hut
SimSim
If you did MB Close Laser into B3 instead of vice versa, wouldn't the MB Laser be mose consistent in landing every hit?

Disaster FX

Boom Bap Dragon
I think the first hit of mb laser is clashable so its hard to space that right from the trait grab
Just checked it myself, you're right. Only the first hit of laser is clashable. It's the same for Lobo's Hook Charge (which is two hits) and I assume they did that so that if the move is the first move in a combo then it won't be clashed.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
Just checked it myself, you're right. Only the first hit of laser is clashable. It's the same for Lobo's Hook Charge (which is two hits) and I assume they did that so that if the move is the first move in a combo then it won't be clashed.
yeah that's why in that video I posted I make the first hit whiff but the later parts hit

PaYizT

Say it with your chest .
What are you zod players using as your bnbs? I really want to pick him up but don't know what combos to start practicing since I rarely see any zod player other than pig help?

SimSim

Norwegian Lab-work Champion
What are you zod players using as your bnbs? I really want to pick him up but don't know what combos to start practicing since I rarely see any zod player other than pig help?

Footsie:
f213 xx bf3
f21 xx close ground blast MB, j3, f213 xx ender

Quick Punish:
d12 xx ground blast MB, j2 xx zod air rifle (low to the ground), dash, 123 xx ender

Slower punish:
f21u2 xx fast zod air rifle, forward j2 xx normal zod air rifle, dash, 12 xx ground blast MB, dash, 123 xx ender

Overhead:
213 xx ground laser charge MB (Delay the MB til they hit the ground), dash, f2, 123 xx ender

Trait grab from close:
Fully charged ground blast, j2 xx zod air rifle, j2 xx zod air rifle, dash, 12 xx ground blast MB, dash, 123 xx ender

Trait grab from close easier:
Fully charged ground blast, f3, j3 (late), 12 xx ground blast MB, dash, 123 xx ender

Trait grab from far (If you are full screen you can forward dash then charge ground blast):
Fully charged ground blast, b3, j2 xx zod slow air rifle (late), dash, 12 xx ground blast MB, dash, 123 xx ender

Go to string in to trait grab:
slash (4), f2 xx trait grab (d4)

SimSim

Since it's been a long enough time, and since a lot of stuff has been found with Zod, it's about time to update the combo thread, and possibly turn it in to a BnB thread with all the combos you would need to play Zod at a high level. Something like the post I posted above, just a little in depth.

I have a few questions before I do anything:
-Should I start a completely new combo thread or edit this one and leave the previous information in a spoiler tag at the bottom for reference?
-Is there any features you would like to have in your combo thread? Illustrations, color coding etc?

I am thinking these categories:
-Footsie/mid range (Will also cover low starter because of f2)
-Quick punish
-Slower/harder punish
-Overhead
-Corner
-Anti air combos (d2 here, since trait will cover anti air slash/trait grab)
-Trait combos (Both with trait grab starter and mid combo slashes/grab
-Combo utility enders (Go to ender for zoning, traiting up and pressuring)
-Back ground bounce/interactables

I will only have the most useful combos in each categories to keep it simple and useful. Is there anything you want me to add, please post a suggestion. Also, I will not include combos that are max damage but very hard to do, but I might include a two versions of a combo if the most damaging one is a little hard.

I will work on the thread tonight I think. Let me know what you think?

AK Pig Of The Hut
Marcus
General M2Dave
Colonel-Gilgamesh

Colonel-Gilgamesh

Hates NRS for making me not like Superman
Since it's been a long enough time, and since a lot of stuff has been found with Zod, it's about time to update the combo thread, and possibly turn it in to a BnB thread with all the combos you would need to play Zod at a high level. Something like the post I posted above, just a little in depth.

I have a few questions before I do anything:
-Should I start a completely new combo thread or edit this one and leave the previous information in a spoiler tag at the bottom for reference?
-Is there any features you would like to have in your combo thread? Illustrations, color coding etc?

I am thinking these categories:
-Footsie/mid range (Will also cover low starter because of f2)
-Quick punish
-Slower/harder punish
-Overhead
-Corner
-Anti air combos (d2 here, since trait will cover anti air slash/trait grab)
-Trait combos (Both with trait grab starter and mid combo slashes/grab
-Combo utility enders (Go to ender for zoning, traiting up and pressuring)
-Back ground bounce/interactables

I will only have the most useful combos in each categories to keep it simple and useful. Is there anything you want me to add, please post a suggestion. Also, I will not include combos that are max damage but very hard to do, but I might include a two versions of a combo if the most damaging one is a little hard.

I will work on the thread tonight I think. Let me know what you think?

AK Pig Of The Hut
Marcus
General M2Dave
Colonel-Gilgamesh

You should include meterless combo section.Also, for mixups, you should include damage as punish and as mixup( if 213 hits overhead, show what damage would be if they blocked the first two parts.)

Also add the combo 213 dash 12 xx MB Laser j3 123 xx ender. Does a little more damage than 213 Laser at the expense of safety

SimSim

You should include meterless combo section.Also, for mixups, you should include damage as punish and as mixup( if 213 hits overhead, show what damage would be if they blocked the first two parts.)

Also add the combo 213 dash 12 xx MB Laser j3 123 xx ender. Does a little more damage than 213 Laser at the expense of safety
I was planing on doing a meterless/with meter veriation within the cathegories. I like the mix up damage suggestion!
213, dash, 12 is very hard to do if they block it low and get hit by the overhead (Which will be how you hit that combo in most instances). I believe this is why Pig found the 213 xx laser combo in the first place:)

Marcus

Mortal Kombat Philippines / Injustice Philippines
213, dash, 12 is very hard to do if they block it low and get hit by the overhead (Which will be how you hit that combo in most instances). I believe this is why Pig found the 213 xx laser combo in the first place:)
Correct. I only do the 213 dash 12 combo when i hit them with the jump in.

Maybe do a section in each category on how to make the combos safe in case they are blocked.
For example:
213 xx laser
when blocked make it safe by doing 213 xx ps.

something like that would be nice. Well al they have to do is cancel everything into PS anyway lol nvermind.

Colonel-Gilgamesh

Hates NRS for making me not like Superman
Fair enough, though if it exists, it should be noted. Put it in jump in combos perhaps.

Oh, maybe add a scale of 1-10 on how safe a BNB is on whiff and block? Like, f21u2 ZB is a 1 for both, but f21u2 is about a 4 or more on whiff? Anything ending in PS is a 10 on block, etc.

SimSim

Fair enough, though if it exists, it should be noted. Put it in jump in combos perhaps.

Oh, maybe add a scale of 1-10 on how safe a BNB is on whiff and block? Like, f21u2 ZB is a 1 for both, but f21u2 is about a 4 or more on whiff? Anything ending in PS is a 10 on block, etc.
This is all good information, but I don't really want anything complicated in this BnB combo thread. I want people to be able to look up this thread and find the essentials. These threads become flooded so fast, so I really just want the best, most optimized combos as well as their easier counterpart (If it is hard to do). Of course I don't want to decide this on my own, but it's the signals I have been getting. If someone disagrees, please speak up and tell me what you would like:)