What's new

Gear System in MK1 Confirmed?

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter

This is from the recent MK1 reveal trailer “Mortal Kombat 1 - Official Keepers of Time Trailer”. Here’s a link to the thread discussing that trailer: https://testyourmight.com/threads/official-trailer-keepers-of-time.74627/

I’m excited that the gear system seems to be coming back. I just hope there’s a more wide variety to choose from, and that you can unlock stuff from playing online.

What are everyone’s thoughts on the gear system and it seemingly returning in MK1?

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
I'm fine with a gear system and cosmetics in general. But please let me just play games online with my character to unlock this stuff for them. Don't make me do towers.
no, I think that's stupid.... cosmetic unlocks should be rare and not owned by everyone. Have some in towers, some in online, some in story mode, some in offline vs with 2 controllers. A skin should be a reward a player can show off, like an achievement.

The entire point of unlocks is to give a player rewards for playing. If you are so greedy you grind modes you do not like for a skin... that should be on you.. not on the devs. Look at MK11.. people bitched about the grind and how they had to spend a zillion hours doing it.. but by the end of the games life everyone had millions and millions of currency. MK11 had no grind, it was just desiged to unlock over the life of the game. As in designed properly.

I like the gears even though a lot of them felt way too similar, much like this Geras example. What I truly valued in MK11 was the fact every single character had at least 4 VERY different skins structurally, I hope they deliver at least that same amount of care for the alternates in MK1.

As for the gears, hopefully they can include at least 1 category that changes the visual more radically in each character.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
no, I think that's stupid.... cosmetic unlocks should be rare and not owned by everyone. Have some in towers, some in online, some in story mode, some in offline vs with 2 controllers. A skin should be a reward a player can show off, like an achievement.

The entire point of unlocks is to give a player rewards for playing. If you are so greedy you grind modes you do not like for a skin... that should be on you.. not on the devs. Look at MK11.. people bitched about the grind and how they had to spend a zillion hours doing it.. but by the end of the games life everyone had millions and millions of currency. MK11 had no grind, it was just desiged to unlock over the life of the game. As in designed properly.
I don’t think that is designed properly at all. Having to grind for years in a SP mode against the AI to finally unlock the gear you wanted since release? That makes no sense and is a colossal waste of time.

You shouldn’t be forced to grind irrelevant single player content in a fighting game. However, I’d be fine with it if you could also unlock the same type of gear by grinding online matches. That way both types of players win. And it’d be awesome if you unlock gear based on the character you use, like how it is in other fighting games.

That said, I actually think the more rare gear should be delegated to being unlocked in ranked mode. I know that’s kinda what they did in MK11 in Kombat League, but the skins & gear you unlocked weren’t based on the character you were using. They were set skins for specific characters for that season. It’d be dope if based on your rank, you unlocked both awesome gear specific to the character you got to that rank with, and also specific titles and emblems.

Which also brings me to wanting a ranked system kinda like SF4 or SF6 where your rank varies based on what character you’re using. That is absolutely the best way to do it imo. But I digress, as that’s a completely different discussion.

Jynks

I disagree strongly.... the cosmetics are not supposed to be "for everyone"... the entire point is that some people have some and the other people have none and some people have other ones. If you want to "grind" then more power to you.. but as MK11 showed.. people that actually liked and played the game unlocked pretty much all of it just by playing naturally, and those that did grind ended up with millions and millions fo coins with nothing to spend them on.

Towers, Story and Multiplayer and League should all have completely separate skins that you can only get via currency earned in all modes or by playing that mode. When you go online you should be able to SEE that the guy is a lab monster as he has gear only earned while labbing. Then for the whiners have a currency system like in MK11 to buy a skin item from a random pool of everything you haven't collected.

That being said there are some improvements... you should earn skins for the character you are playing. I agree with that, though the buy option should be random... I also think that the League should be for each individual character. I also think you should earn in lab mode as well as 2 player mode, online, leauge and story.

Hate to say it, but in addition to grinding for the gear you want , I think they should give you the option to buy gear instead of waiting for it to randomly appear in the store. I don’t like how random rewards were in mk11.

On a side note, to this day I still have concept art to unlock and have no idea how to unlock them. The Krypt stopped generating them for me ages ago. It’s broken.

Jynks

Hate to say it, but in addition to grinding for the gear you want , I think they should give you the option to buy gear instead of waiting for it to randomly appear in the store. I don’t like how random rewards were in mk11.
I think that would be solved by unlocking gear for the character you are actually using (and possibly fluff like wallpaper and songs and stuff).

Art Lean

Noob
I'm in total agreeance with @Jynks. As a primarily single player myself who had to grow up playing Mortal Kombat games on my own since no one else I knew liked MK, I've become very accustomed to enjoying MK as a solo experience since 1993. I play games to unwind and relax, whilst playing online tends to make my blood boil. I very much appreciated that MK11 made people play the whole game in all its different modes to unlock all the gear they wanted. MK11 had me step out of my comfort zone and go online to get a few things in KL I wanted, but didn't force me into only having to play online for other things I wanted and instead made it a more well-rounded experience in exploring the Krypt, playing towers, completing the story, training mode and the story. If it had all been online-only rewards, I'd have probably stopped playing it long before.

Additionally, I do also agree with @kingjolly and @Benlo, that it should give clear instructions on how to get things, there should not be any one-day-only events that force you to check Ed Boon's twitter page (it should all be clearly advertised in the game's notifications, that's surely what they're there for?), and all cosmetics should actually have visual merit; things like Jacqui's battery packs, Skarlet's blood flasks, Noob's belts etc. all absolutely sucked and were both pointless and very disappointing to be rewarded with. They should be strong visual things like the ninja masks, Sindel's hair and boots, helmets, main weapons etc.

But I did also notice in the new M1K Fatal Blows and Fatalities shown, things like Sub Zero's mask disappear again like in MK11, which to me suggests that those will be customisable again since they're clearly not a pre-set part of the character model like most of the clothing.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I'm in total agreeance with @Jynks. As a primarily single player myself who had to grow up playing Mortal Kombat games on my own since no one else I knew liked MK, I've become very accustomed to enjoying MK as a solo experience since 1993. I play games to unwind and relax, whilst playing online tends to make my blood boil. I very much appreciated that MK11 made people play the whole game in all its different modes to unlock all the gear they wanted. MK11 had me step out of my comfort zone and go online to get a few things in KL I wanted, but didn't force me into only having to play online for other things I wanted and instead made it a more well-rounded experience in exploring the Krypt, playing towers, completing the story, training mode and the story. If it had all been online-only rewards, I'd have probably stopped playing it long before.

Additionally, I do also agree with @kingjolly and @Benlo, that it should give clear instructions on how to get things, there should not be any one-day-only events that force you to check Ed Boon's twitter page (it should all be clearly advertised in the game's notifications, that's surely what they're there for?), and all cosmetics should actually have visual merit; things like Jacqui's battery packs, Skarlet's blood flasks, Noob's belts etc. all absolutely sucked and were both pointless and very disappointing to be rewarded with. They should be strong visual things like the ninja masks, Sindel's hair and boots, helmets, main weapons etc.

But I did also notice in the new M1K Fatal Blows and Fatalities shown, things like Sub Zero's mask disappear again like in MK11, which to me suggests that those will be customisable again since they're clearly not a pre-set part of the character model like most of the clothing.
There’s a BIG difference between encouraging you to try out all the game modes with gear being tied into them, and forcing you to play a certain game mode for months to even years in order to unlock gear. One is defensible the other is not. If the gear tied to the towers only required you to complete a couple, you’d have a point. But clearly that wasn’t the case.

It’s really simple. Forcing you to grind any mode for MONTHS or more is a terrible design. If you have to grind for months, they should make it unlockable both in a SP mode and an online mode. Because there wasn’t any gear tied to online modes that forced you to grind for months or more.

¯\(ツ)

NoCharge

Noob
Also I want to be able to get all the gear. To this day I can't get one of Shao's helmets which was supposed to be in the krypt, but I now only get augmets since the third or fourth time I reset the krypt.

Art Lean

Noob
In addition to what I said earlier about Golden Krypt events being absolutely disgraceful, especially since they were very rarely advertised in the game itself, I'd have less issues with them if they'd been tied to just quirky/weird/thematic gear and skins; like the revenant skins, the Kronika-styled skins, the KL Saurian skins, uniquely designed masks etc. You know the type of stuff some people may want for fun, but nothing that's going to annoy most players in not having.

But having them tied to Liu's MK2 skin? Jax's MK3 arms? Kano's classic eye? Noob's MK9 mask? That was straight up insulting to many fans out there, especially those who'd never think to check a developer's twitter page after the game is already released (I certainly wouldn't, I don't really use social media).

Miss it that one single day it drops? Well screw you, you're waiting a year for it to return, so better not be busy that day. And have fun looking at it locked on your gear options every day just to taunt you - "Found in the Krypt" they say, it should have said "Found on Twitter, for only 24 hours, once a year. F**k you."

AND WORSE STILL, THEY'RE STILL GOING!!!! Stick that gear in the towers, the shrine or premium store already for anyone who's only just bought it recently. By the time MK11 was released, there was an 'unlock all' Krypt purchase for MKX, they should have done the same already for MK11 at this stage in its life, as a new release will undoubtedly bring in new fans or bring back old ones who may have returned from having had a dark-age away from MK for whatever reason (as I did throughout the PS3 era due to parenthood, so never played MKvDC or MK9 during the time they were current).

Sorry rant over :oops:

In addition to what I said earlier about Golden Krypt events being absolutely disgraceful, especially since they were very rarely advertised in the game itself, I'd have less issues with them if they'd been tied to just quirky/weird/thematic gear and skins; like the revenant skins, the Kronika-styled skins, the KL Saurian skins, uniquely designed masks etc. You know the type of stuff some people may want for fun, but nothing that's going to annoy most players in not having.

But having them tied to Liu's MK2 skin? Jax's MK3 arms? Kano's classic eye? Noob's MK9 mask? That was straight up insulting to many fans out there, especially those who'd never think to check a developer's twitter page after the game is already released (I certainly wouldn't, I don't really use social media).

Miss it that one single day it drops? Well screw you, you're waiting a year for it to return, so better not be busy that day. And have fun looking at it locked on your gear options every day just to taunt you - "Found in the Krypt" they say, it should have said "Found on Twitter, for only 24 hours, once a year. F**k you."

AND WORSE STILL, THEY'RE STILL GOING!!!! Stick that gear in the towers, the shrine or premium store already for anyone who's only just bought it recently. By the time MK11 was released, there was an 'unlock all' Krypt purchase for MKX, they should have done the same already for MK11 at this stage in its life, as a new release will undoubtedly bring in new fans or bring back old ones who may have returned from having had a dark-age away from MK for whatever reason (as I did throughout the PS3 era due to parenthood, so never played MKvDC or MK9 during the time they were current).

Sorry rant over :oops:
I have played MK11 on and off for 4 years and I unlocked Dark Automata Noob like a month ago, by buying it with those time krystals I got from ranked, insane shit. Klassic rain I unlocked like a month ago as well because it is locked to race against time, so If you miss it you have to wait months for it to come back, ridiculous shit.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
I like the gears even though a lot of them felt way too similar, much like this Geras example. What I truly valued in MK11 was the fact every single character had at least 4 VERY different skins structurally, I hope they deliver at least that same amount of care for the alternates in MK1.

As for the gears, hopefully they can include at least 1 category that changes the visual more radically in each character.
it’s not so much that they were too similar, they were all intentionally designed to have two versions, which I liked becuse it meant I could use a design I liked on multiple types of outfits without it looking off.

JGillette

My thirst for knowledge cannot be quenched
i hope gear system (if exists) is more detailed, so we can also customize the hair and stuff

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
welp, now I gotta go look back at every trailer to see if shit changes on characters lmfao

molambo

(X ౪ X )
i said that in a other thread but the base gear of the game you purchased so payed for shouldnt be locked in a way that the majoriy of people will not have access to it.

its okay when you have a bunch of special costumes/gear behind some treshholds so that they are unique rewards but the rest should be easy unlockables where you decide what you want to get and not hope on luck. mk11 had already ingame coins, you should be able to go into the list of unlockables on each char and just straight up give this coins out for what you want. this way it still will take time till you unlock everything but at the same time you can get costume parts you want directly so maybe thats even enough for you and you dont want to continue to grind for the rest.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I don’t think that is designed properly at all. Having to grind for years in a SP mode against the AI to finally unlock the gear you wanted since release? That makes no sense and is a colossal waste of time.

You shouldn’t be forced to grind irrelevant single player content in a fighting game. However, I’d be fine with it if you could also unlock the same type of gear by grinding online matches. That way both types of players win. And it’d be awesome if you unlock gear based on the character you use, like how it is in other fighting games.

That said, I actually think the more rare gear should be delegated to being unlocked in ranked mode. I know that’s kinda what they did in MK11 in Kombat League, but the skins & gear you unlocked weren’t based on the character you were using. They were set skins for specific characters for that season. It’d be dope if based on your rank, you unlocked both awesome gear specific to the character you got to that rank with, and also specific titles and emblems.

Which also brings me to wanting a ranked system kinda like SF4 or SF6 where your rank varies based on what character you’re using. That is absolutely the best way to do it imo. But I digress, as that’s a completely different discussion.
This is the only answer. Some should be hidden in the krypt, some should be related to unlocking your character’s tower ending, maybe even tie it to the AI difficulty level for better unlocks, and the rest should be tied to achieving milestones in ranked - what league you reach with said character, how many wins in total, win streak, etc. I’m ok with some of them being offline, but it shouldn’t be grindy at all imo.

The towers of time in MK11 were fucking TERRIBLE. They need to go a quality over quantity route for sure and have the more prestigious unlocks be tied to specific achievements in ranked. I actually do agree with Jynks in that not everyone should get everything. But the unlcoks should be tied to difficult achievements rather than just dumping TIME into the worst mode in the game. Getting good at a fighting game is a grindy enough process as is, if someone wants to take a break and wind down with story mode or krypt or towers before returning to the ass blast, it should actually be meaningful content.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they just do a battle pass and I have to grind for the awesome Sub-Zero mask by first getting a bunch of bullshit like Geras chest ruby #15, Mileena Sai hilt #12 or, Scorpion spear tip #18. Where offline play will obviously be the most efficient way to unlock this crap and ONLY way if you, oh I don’t know, have a fucking job. So then a ton of losers will pay them more money than the $110 they likely already dropped so they can get their special helmet. I really hope NRS shows a little more restraint than this but who knows.