What's new

Gamestop stores will not exist as a physical location by 2017-2018

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
They'd probably do the "timed trials" of PS Plus: You download the full game, get 60 minutes to play it, then you buy it to unlock it if you want to continue.

Every game would have a demo? Some? Yes. All? No.

Edit: All the hacking and stuff with Credit Card info. Too many Cons, imo.
No one really knows, there's always cons to everything if you nitpick it hard enough. PSN got hacked like twice? Did Xbox ever get hacked to a point where millions were effected. Steam runs on credit cards, you can buy pre-paid cards with fixed value of credit if you're that paranoid. Blizzard does lots of transactions digitally.

iTunes and it's apps is full digital. Amazon. Newegg. Games can too.

You don't think GameStop store all their customer info digitally too, hackers can hack that if they want, still the same risk as hacking a big corporation like MS or Sony, you're also giving partial credit card information to a random stranger any time you purchase something at a physical location.

No you didn't :D
Yes I did, try to comprehend it first at what I am saying. You can recover your iTunes info if your device or program ever crashes, you can recover NOW, this GEN of consoles, all your download history if your Xbox ever crashes.

ImTheBatman

Dojo Trainee
There's this fine ass girl at my GameStop, nice body and short. I wanna get her number, but than it'd be like hella weird, I went to her when I bought Cod, and she was chill that's it. I might do it though, if she's there for Injustice.
It's not weird dude, you just got to work into it more naturally. I don't know how old you are but it gets less awkward and you go in w/ more confidence w/ age and practice. Next time you're in there ask her if she's going to play whatever it is you are purchasing. She must have some interest in games if she works at a Gamestop. Follow that w/ a question about what types of games she likes or what she likes to do. No matter what, be interested in her answer. Then ask her to hang out and then take it from there.

Back on topic, they had the PS4 press convergence yesterday I think. Did they mention whether it has a disc drive or whether it's backwards compatible? The PS4 build could give some incite into just how fast the internet only future is coming.

KHAOTIC_Flames

Mumm-Ra for Injustice?
We might see PS4 sell better because you don't have to pay to play online.

UNLESS Sony decides to make it like Microsoft's Silver Memberships and/or Silver Memberships gets more features like the ability to play online for free.

This is coming from an ex-xbox fanboy. I haven't touched my xbox in almost a year.
Someone that works at gamestop told me ps4 is gonna make you pay for online.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
This idea is just dumb, and the companies do not realize how unprepared a lot of the world is for something like this.

I guarantee it, Nintendo will have the best-selling console a second generation in a row.
The idea isn't dumb..... at all. It actually is a huge win for Developers

No disks..... so all the money they have for those (no matter how cheap a disk is... thats still a huge chunk)
no shipping
no middle man to sell it

Problem is the middle man to get it to you (IPs).

Then... services like Xbox can simply do what they've always done..... tag your gamertag to anything you buy. Even if you burn your xbox on purpose.... you still own that game, and could play it on anyone's xbox with access to your tag.

Seems pretty fucking convenient to me.... hell... they could probably even let you DELETE games off the HD... and re-download them..... solving the entire issue of "I don't have enough HD space"

The ONLY downside is the internet. That has to be "fixed" for the entire thing to work.

So in that aspect.... yeah... it is a terrible idea.

It's not weird dude, you just got to work into it more naturally. I don't know how old you are but it gets less awkward and you go in w/ more confidence w/ age and practice. Next time you're in there ask her if she's going to play whatever it is you are purchasing. She must have some interest in games if she works at a Gamestop. Follow that w/ a question about what types of games she likes or what she likes to do. No matter what, be interested in her answer. Then ask her to hang out and then take it from there.

Back on topic, they had the PS4 press convergence yesterday I think. Did they mention whether it has a disc drive or whether it's backwards compatible? The PS4 build could give some incite into just how fast the internet only future is coming.
I might just ask for her number first, Lol. That's the thing you never know if a girl is taken or not. Haha. Than you go home like dafuq.

Solo

Shadow Priest
No one really knows, there's always cons to everything if you nitpick it hard enough. PSN got hacked like twice? Did Xbox ever get hacked to a point where millions were effected. Steam runs on credit cards, you can buy pre-paid cards with fixed value of credit if you're that paranoid. Blizzard does lots of transactions digitally.

You don't think GameStop store all their customer info digitally too, hackers can hack that if they want, still the same risk as hacking a big corporation like MS or Sony, you're also giving partial credit card information to a random stranger any time you purchase something.
How many times have GameStop been hacked? I'd rather not deal with the BS.

What about people who don't have internet, and bad internet servers? Download messes up, gotta try again. Connection drop, gotta try again. If it's a most anticipated game, then the servers might be laggy. I'm talking about the store servers.

It's a headache, Bro. I'd rather buy my game when I leave school/work, go home, install, play.

Fact of the matter, our opinions differ.

Tofer Booboo

Anything could happen
I am glad to see GS go down.
More because all the people that work at the GameStop's around me are douchey "gamers".
There are 4 major stores around me and all of them have people with bad attitudes, arrogant employees, and smart ass remarks.
Just kills the excitement of getting a new game for me.

gdf

Kombatant
I would like for PlayStation to give you the ability to log in and play your games on other people's consoles without going through leaps and hurdles.

Reactions: RYX

EdFig81

Original OBS mbr/VSM/G4S
blockbuster doesnt exist

they are online only and possibly have 20 stores in USA ?
I saw a store in Manhattan the other day. My friend and me laughed at the name now Blockbuster Media. It is an endangered species now lol. I have to admit though I never would of thought people still go there. I saw a line .

How many times have GameStop been hacked? I'd rather not deal with the BS.

What about people who don't have internet, and bad internet servers? Download messes up, gotta try again. Connection drop, gotta try again. If it's a most anticipated game, then the servers might be laggy. I'm talking about the store servers.

It's a headache, Bro. I'd rather buy my game when I leave school/work, go home, install, play.

Fact of the matter, our opinions differ.
You're too scared for no reason. Major credit card companies get hacked, hell if the government can get hacked, anything could. It's not about what ifs.

Steam is already digital! Consoles can model themselves after that service. Steam is regarded as one of the best things to hit gaming. You can really get lots of innovative games with digital distribution. Killing Floor, Minecraft, etc.

MS/Sony aren't chumps. Just because we're dealing with gaming it doesn't have to be this horrid thing open to hackers. Many things are digital today, lots.

How cool would it be, to pre-purchase a game and it'll download when it goes live. So while you're at school or work, you come home and just play it.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Umm, it'll be like recovering a gamer-tag, you can't have simultaneous gamer-tags running on 2 separate consoles at once. You don't have to lug anything.

Do you guys still buy CDs? Not saying it's obsolete, but..

Just a thought, give it a honest answer, do you legit, wait for an album and go to the store every time your favorite artist releases their album, so you can feel the physical sentiment of having a disc in your car every time you drive, or home, or anywhere.
On the whole CD thing, CD's do actually sound better than MP3's. I still listen to my CD's when I can because the sound quality is superior. That isn't some hipster nostalgic opinion either, it's just how it is... GOOGLE it.

As far as games go, I think going digital was always inevitable. The only problem is that the hard drives are going to have to be able to store A LOT more memory.

On the whole CD thing, CD's do actually sound better than MP3's. I still listen to my CD's when I can because the sound quality is superior. That isn't some hipster nostalgic opinion either, it's just how it is... GOOGLE it.

As far as games go, I think going digital was always inevitable. The only problem is that the hard drives are going to have to be able to store A LOT more memory.
I just like presenting logical cases, and I guess playing devils advocate, haha, it's fun and I support digital distribution so it's more fun.

Also, this can lead to many F2P games, LoL, like the biggest game on earth right now is primarily a F2P game thanks to digital distribution.

Just go in and make up some bullshit about your ex-girlfriend not liking it when you play games/violent games then ask the Gamestop girl if she would do that? This gives you information on whether she is seeing someone, or whatever. Then you get the number and shit.

I hope people give the terms of service for the PS4 streaming a VERY thorough read before they join up. You will be responsible for a lot of shit.

Without the used game market, the consumer has pretty much no power anymore. lol. Can't sell the console or the games. Dang. Isn't your user account tied to the console?
I will keep this in mind.

EdFig81

Original OBS mbr/VSM/G4S
Surprisingly I'm not against "digital only" game releases. It just makes sense nowadays. And I'm someone who does actively sell/trade games because I usually only play 1 game at a time. BUT there needs to be a trade off in price. A lot of people will see it as getting less if they still charge 60-65 bucks. And hopefully they have measures against piracy, and losing ur data.
I am ok with the idea of buying digital games if the savings are passed on to us with the games costing less money. I doubt though the companies won't be greedy. As of now we can buy full retail games via PSN and Xbox Live Marketplace and to my knowledge I don't see the games costing less. I laughed as I saw MK9 for i believe 59.99 a while back and it was not even going for that in best buy or any other store.
What I am not ok with is the requirement these games might have with all their DRM (Digital Rights Mangement I think its called) BS. Take XBOX 360 live arcade games for example. I have 2 Xbox 360's and one of them hasn't been online in a yr. I downloaded and bought about 85 Live Arcade games on that 360 when it went online. After a long time of not going online with the system all my arcade games are now demos. I guess the system needs to call home. That's my biggest issue with losing gamestop. What happens if a system is no longer allowed to go online lets say xbox live because the new xbox came out. If the current DRM being used has to call home every now and then to keep the games at full versions but I can't go online anymore that would suck ass and force you to keep buying the newer system and have to always have internet at some points. Also between both xboxes i go back and forth with my gamer profile via USB card and it always worked before.

EdFig81

Original OBS mbr/VSM/G4S

I agree I try to get FLAC files now over mp3's. Still love my CD's (haven't bought any in a few yrs).